PDA

View Full Version : how do i fix this?

ducatilover
2nd January 2006, 15:37
how do i fix my zorst? i just took it apart to re-rivet the end on and tap a few dent out and found it to be full of that fluffy shit shown tn the pic.

the other thingy that goes inside was loose and rattling aroung under certain exhaust presures [mainly lower revs cos it had time to move more] and ende up pushing the peice on the end further back, making that loose and fucking the rivets.

so what do i do to this? give it to my mate the mechanic with the rest of the zorst or do something myself? or buy a new can.... which i dont have the money to do to be honest:stupid:

any help would be great thanks guys [and gurls]:wait:

Colapop
2nd January 2006, 15:40
how do i fix my zorst?
Without being too smart arsed, you get a new one. Are ya sposed to take those things apart? I'd say the fluff stuff is dampening material at a guess and probably hard as buggery to put back together. As I say though I don't know shit about these things, just my 2c.

Scouse
2nd January 2006, 15:41
shove it back in and rerivett it up

Highlander
2nd January 2006, 15:43
:Oops:
Spend the next two weeks trying to poke it all back in then admit defeat and buy a new one.

ducatilover
2nd January 2006, 15:43
Without being too smart arsed, you get a new one. Are ya sposed to take those things apart? I'd say the fluff stuff is dampening material at a guess and probably hard as buggery to put back together. As I say though I don't know shit about these things, just my 2c.
fair enough, the zorst was barely legal before stuffed full of that crap

T.W.R
2nd January 2006, 15:57
the so-called fluffy stuff:killingme :killingme is called packing!
you used to be able & should still be able to get fresh exhaust packing from a muffler repair shop ( likes of Magoo mufflers etc).

so if your a clever lad :laugh: you'll go get some, repair the dent, wind the fresh packing around the baffle tube, re-set that into the cannister fit the end caps re-rivet the end caps & you should be away laughing :bash:

used to have to do it regularly years ago with the old sagar 4-1s & cycleworks mufflers ( these boys were handy as they had a small grub-screw that once undone the whole baffle came out of the muffler) because the old exhaust packing used to burnout roughly once every 9mths or so

ducatilover
2nd January 2006, 16:10
the so-called fluffy stuff:killingme :killingme is called packing!
you used to be able & should still be able to get fresh exhaust packing from a muffler repair shop ( likes of Magoo mufflers etc).
thank you. the baffles were rattling around so..... what if i just leave all that out? or will that damage the exhaust valves?:scooter:

ducatilover
2nd January 2006, 16:16
was just reading some specs for my bike, and my bikes faster in each gear than the standard one, could this be the bigger rear wheel? eg 18 inch not 17 inch:scooter:

T.W.R
2nd January 2006, 16:22
thank you. the baffles were rattling around so..... what if i just leave all that out? or will that damage the exhaust valves?:scooter:

with your engine put everything back how its supposed to be ! unless your wanting to do a fair bit of work on the top end, carbs etc.

the baffles & packing are there to create back pressure which relates to hp/torque of the engine or where it produces it ( can't remember the actual standard of measure or the calculations for how/why/where, it works in conjunction with header pipe length, diameter etc, it all comes into the equation).

just repack it & reassemble it, the whole job should cost you no more than say $25-$30

Teflon
2nd January 2006, 16:32
cut a perforated tube to size, flare the ends to fit end caps, source some fibreglass packing..

ducatilover
2nd January 2006, 16:38
hmmm when i purchased the bike, the exhaust was very loud [mmm good:love: ] and it also rattled because, i suppose, it had no packing and the baffles were loose. when i took the bike in to get the fork seals done the guys said that it was illegal [the zorst] something to do with the factory [though its aftermarket] silencing system being "deteriorated":mellow: is that true? also the bike went better before they did what they did to the exhaust and it sounded better..... before the exhaust was "fixed" the bike liked to rev, and did so smoothly but produced maximum torque and power at about 6 grand.
after the exhaust was "fixed" it had the same power down low but was almost like it was resisting higher revs, it seemed to run short at 6 grand....:sherlock: soooo if i try make a bracket to keep the baffles in there without the packing maybe this would do the trick? :drinkup:

ducatilover
2nd January 2006, 16:39
cut a perforated tube to size, flare the ends to fit end caps, source some fibreglass packing..
i was also considering that:msn-wink: :beer: :wari:

Teflon
2nd January 2006, 16:41
i was also considering that:msn-wink: :beer: :wari:

it will sound better, plus it will be easy to repack next time.

ducatilover
2nd January 2006, 16:45
it will sound better, plus it will be easy to repack next time.
i'll have a look in the garage tommorow..... good old farm sheds have everything you need...

im also fitting the right hand switch block off my gpz 400 and have to modify the wires... i hope thats not illegal:confused: :ride:

Ixion
2nd January 2006, 16:58
It most certainly *IS* illegal. You degenerate antisocial reprobate , you. It's people like you who strike at the roots of all that right thinking , upstanding respectable folk hold dear. The very foundations of our society are tottering as a result of all this wire-modifying.

The Police , SIS, LTSA and Helen Clark's *special* secretary have been advised. The black helicopters are on their way right now. You can run, but you can't escape, you wire-modifier , you

ducatilover
2nd January 2006, 16:59
It most certainly *IS* illegal. You degenerate antisocial reprobate , you. It's people like you who strike at the roots of all that right thinking , upstanding respectable folk hold dear. The very foundations of our society are tottering as a result of all this wire-modifying.

The Police , SIS, LTSA and Helen Clark's *special* secretary have been advised. The black helicopters are on their way right now. You can run, but you can't escape, you wire-modifier , you
oh dear did i burn the pizza again?:innocent:

Darkman
2nd January 2006, 17:07
I have done this once with my vance and hynes exhaust. replaced the packing with pink aerolite..it seemed to work fine.

gman
3rd January 2006, 18:06
you could try repacking with pink bats sound proofing???itll cost nuffin to try your own repack against buying a new can.its wot kiwis do aint it?