PDA

View Full Version : Honda Shadow reviews/opinions

Angry Puppy
2nd January 2006, 19:08
hi guys.

I'm going to take a look at an '05 VT750c this week and was wondering if there were any owner out there that might be able to give me a notes on any known issues or anything to look out for.

The reviews on www.bikez.com seem to be quite favourable but it's always good to get as much info as possible.

Cheers.

FB

Angry Puppy
4th January 2006, 19:47
Well, I called up about the bike but it had already been sold. turns out they may have another one in any day soon. guy went in with his mate and they both bought 750s. they drove them round over xmas and he decided he wanted a bigger one. so he's trading it in with only 800 odd Ks on the clock. Shit, some people must have too much spare money.

incidentally, any cruiser riders on The Shore that would be interested in meeting up for a couple of jars to talk crome bits?

Cookie
7th January 2006, 15:39
Personally I think they look like very good value for money - Honda's way of trying to keep the others at bay in that part of the cruiser market. I would budget for some aftermarket pipes though to go with the look.

Are you planning to keep the FZS or is this permanent move over to the dark side?

Motig
7th January 2006, 18:47
Nice bike and I love the price.Only problem a workmate had with one was that on long rides he ended up with back trouble but on his old XJ Yam no problems. Beautiful looking bike tho, at a quick glance looked like that american bike. In short might pay to see if they'll let you go for a bit of a cruise on it and see how you feel. Otherwise go for it:ride:

Waylander
8th January 2006, 02:50
Personally I think they look like very good value for money - Honda's way of trying to keep the others at bay in that part of the cruiser market.
Lol sorry mate, but Yamaha has them beat. Better styling, better handeling, better quality and so forth. Suzuki has it's sportsbikes, Yamaha has the cruisers and Hond just gets left in the dust lol.

Troll
8th January 2006, 08:23
incidentally, any cruiser riders on The Shore that would be interested in meeting up for a couple of jars to talk crome bits?[/QUOTE]

check out the Puhoi Hotel

Hitcher
8th January 2006, 13:35
The 750 Shadow's biggest failing (forgetting about spoked wheels and stupid ignition location) is that it's gutless. If you want a commuter or weekend cruiser that never has to deal with life over 70kmh, buy one.

Nice build quality (apart from the ignition switch placement), nice gearbox. Looks best in red.

Angry Puppy
10th January 2006, 19:40
Are you planning to keep the FZS or is this permanent move over to the dark side?

Nah. Selling the Fazer. it's on Trademe for $4,500 if anyone is interested.

In short might pay to see if they'll let you go for a bit of a cruise on it and see how you feel. Otherwise go for it:ride:

Unfortunately the guys on Barry's Point Road don't have a demonstrator and won't even let you start up the new ones.

check out the Puhoi Hotel
Cheers bro. will do.

Angry Puppy
10th January 2006, 19:49
Lol sorry mate, but Yamaha has them beat. Better styling, better handeling, better quality and so forth. Suzuki has it's sportsbikes, Yamaha has the cruisers and Hond just gets left in the dust lol.

Maybe, but the Yamaha goes from 650 to 1100. too small and too big respectively. In terms of looks, I don't think there is a lot in it. Price-wise Yamaha's 650 costs the same as Honda's 800.

FB

Waylander
10th January 2006, 21:35
True but then the newer Yamaha 1100s seem a bit under powerd to me, so may be not as big as you think. Unless you were talking about size rather than strength lol.

Angry Puppy
11th January 2006, 05:25
Too big in terms of engine capacity. whilst they may not be that powerful, I still have to ride it every day. So I'd rather not have a fuel consumption like a Holden to worry about. I'm quite happy with my $15-20 a fortnight for fuel thankyou very much.

FB

Waylander
11th January 2006, 12:08
Lol mine isn't that bad actually. Do about the same as you for commuting.

outlawtorn
11th January 2006, 12:59
hi guys.

I'm going to take a look at an '05 VT750c this week and was wondering if there were any owner out there that might be able to give me a notes on any known issues or anything to look out for.

The reviews on www.bikez.com seem to be quite favourable but it's always good to get as much info as possible.

Cheers.

FB
Dude, glad to haven'[t bought the Honda yet, get yourself a nice bike, like the Suzuki Volusia or something from the new Boulevard range, if you wants it for weekends and for communting then I can stand testament to a good bike, with good fuel consumption and reliability.

I'm in Long Bay on the shore so if you want to see my bike and have a chin wag over chrome then let me know.

Good luck in your hunt, looking for a bike is loads of fun.....

zadok
11th January 2006, 14:10
The report on the Hyosung 650 cruiser sounded impressive. I thought that would have been gutless. Maybe you could consider........

Devil
11th January 2006, 14:45
Checkout the Suzuki M50 boulevard (800cc) at Holeshot. They have a demo. Had it twice now as a loaner, looks good, goes ok (injected, but not quite enough poke for me) and seemed pretty good on the gas.

zadok
11th January 2006, 14:51
Checkout the Suzuki M50 boulevard (800cc) at Holeshot. They have a demo. Had it twice now as a loaner, looks good, goes ok (injected, but not quite enough poke for me) and seemed pretty good on the gas.
They look good, but I've said it before, Kawasaki are bringing out the VN900 before long. That has fuel injection, rear disc etc.

vifferman
11th January 2006, 14:56
Some time back, I had a test ride of the VT750. Nice bike, but the one I rode had a very annoying CLUNK going from first to second gear. Didn't matter what I tried, it did it, so in the end I stopped using first gear. Only other problem I had is the saddlebag started smouldering because they'd mounted it wrong and it was resting on the muffler.
I found the 750 a much nicer bike to ride than the only other cruiser I've tried - the VT1100, which was not very nice at all.

Angry Puppy
11th January 2006, 15:00
Nah. took the M50 for a spin. wasn't that impressed. the throttle vibrated so much my hand was tinglingwhen I got back and the engine sounded exactly the same as a GSF 500.

My first bike was a Hyosung 125 cruiser. great for the price but the crome rusted just from washing the thing! I don't know if the build quality has changed much over the last few years.

I'm going to test ride a Triumph Speedmaster this weekend from Holeshot. Kinda cruisy. the guy in the shop reckoned it was the same as the America except for twin discs up front etc. etc.

Anyone know if anyone does a cruiser without crome. maybe with stainless steel or brushed aluminium. look just as cool and a whole lot more practicle.

FB

Jackrat
11th January 2006, 15:34
Well, I called up about the bike but it had already been sold. turns out they may have another one in any day soon. guy went in with his mate and they both bought 750s. they drove them round over xmas and he decided he wanted a bigger one. so he's trading it in with only 800 odd Ks on the clock. Shit, some people must have too much spare money.

incidentally, any cruiser riders on The Shore that would be interested in meeting up for a couple of jars to talk crome bits?

Botany Honda has one in right now,I watched em' unpack it on monday.
Nice looking bike if your into that look.

Devil
11th January 2006, 16:35
Nah. took the M50 for a spin. wasn't that impressed. the throttle vibrated so much my hand was tinglingwhen I got back and the engine sounded exactly the same as a GSF 500.
Didnt have the vibe problems myself.
Neglected to mention the farm-bike sound ;)

Balding Eagle
30th January 2006, 22:46
Botany Honda let me take one for a ride. Brand new, not a k on the clock. Interesting about the comment of back problems. Admittedly I suffer a little from this problem but after 10 minutes on a reasonable road, I noticed the slight pain. Hey but I don't have a huge riding experience. I have just got my full, and I am looking at moving from my 250 Hornet up to something similar to the VT750, but also wondering if the cruiser is really the way to go.