PDA

View Full Version : my future motard....

flash
2nd January 2006, 20:30
just got the AOK from my dad to let me transform his ktm exc300 (two smoke) into a track/motard bike.

just wondering what wheels and tyres would fit on this bike, and what else should i do to it to make it the real deal?

froggyfrenchman
2nd January 2006, 20:38
have fun on it you bastard *slams door and walks away wishn he had 1*

Sniper
2nd January 2006, 20:39
Don't trash it

flash
2nd January 2006, 20:42
Don't trash it

its already abit rought, also its better than using a sportsbike that will break in a thousand peices when it hits the floor.

anyone know what class i can get into with the 300cc?

Coyote
2nd January 2006, 20:49
You want to get into Supermotard or Supermoto racing?

flash
2nd January 2006, 20:52
You want to get into Supermotard or Supermoto racing?

arnt they the same thing?
at wanganui the motards were in the f3, motard and BEARS (ktms, huskis)

Coyote
2nd January 2006, 21:00
arnt they the same thing?
at wanganui the motards were in the f3, motard and BEARS (ktms, huskis)
Well thats up in the air what means what. I've always gone by Supermotard being dirt bikes raced on road tracks and Supermoto being a combo of dirt and road on one track.

There are Supermoto races being held at Taupo, not sure how often. They have a S1, S2 and S3 class. Your 300 isn't ideal for Supermoto as the rules say you have to ride in S1 class, the big leauge, and you'd be up against 500cc 2 strokes and big bore 4 strokes. Chances are you might be allowed into S2 class with a bit of negotiating.

As for Supermotard, theres isn't any real classes for them. Manfeild have the open motard who race with the clubman class, and they allow some motards to be raced against the F3 bikes. The Wellington Buckets guys have a open motard class as well.

flash
3rd January 2006, 10:36
now back to the main qustion......

what wheel rims woud fit on this?

Colapop
3rd January 2006, 10:41
Hey Flash you've been watching that SuperMotard racing on ESPN haven't ya?
I heard one of the commentators saying that more Kiwis and Auusies should go over there and race seeing how good at offroad we are from this end of the world.

Coyote
3rd January 2006, 10:47
Reason why New Zealanders make good offroad racers is over there their tracks are well groomed and the tracks here are like river beds :p

I have no idea what rims would fit. If you took the bike to a wreckers they might find something suitable

sugilite
3rd January 2006, 11:18
A 17 inch by 3.5 inch front rim and a 17 inch by 4.5 rim should fit fine. Any wider on the rear and you may have chain rubbing on the tyre issues.

You will want to lower the suspension by 2.5 cm's and stiffen it up a lot. (both ends)
I had my standard shock and forks re valved with stiffer springs.

You will need to get the smallest rear and largest front sprockets you can get your hands on.

A larger front disk and a decent caliper will be a must too.
I got a 6 piston caliper and 310 disk through e-bay for under $100 nzd including shipping from the states...I got zx9r ones so I could use all those ceramic brake pads I had left over from my superbike.

Skate board wheels on both axles and Teflon drilled and wired to the underside of your foot pegs will be required if you go on kart tracks....I got my Teflon in chopping board form from the warehouse.

Do all the above and you have a ticket to insane fun!

Kickaha
3rd January 2006, 11:19
now back to the main qustion......

what wheel rims woud fit on this?

You can buy wheels that will fit this specific bike or buy wheels the size you want and adapt them, the second option is really only feasible if you have acess to the gear or people who can modify them to fit

Another option would be to buy rims and have them laced up to the exisiting hubs http://www.wheelandspoke.co.nz/

flash
3rd January 2006, 13:48
thanks everyone for your advice.

just wondering seem this is a ktm, will any japanese wheels fit?
i want to do this the easiest and cheapist way so i want some that will fit straight on with no choping or fixing them to fit

Badcat
3rd January 2006, 14:15
You can buy wheels that will fit this specific bike or buy wheels the size you want and adapt them, the second option is really only feasible if you have acess to the gear or people who can modify them to fit

Another option would be to buy rims and have them laced up to the exisiting hubs http://www.wheelandspoke.co.nz/

hi - i got tom at wheel and spoke to do my blacj excel 19 and 17 combo for my street tracker. great work reasonably priced. top bloke too.

ken

flash
3rd January 2006, 14:30
do you have to have spoked wheels to be able to race, or can they be any type?

Kickaha
3rd January 2006, 14:47
do you have to have spoked wheels to be able to race, or can they be any type?

Any type, you are unlikely to find wheels that will be a straight "bolt in" unless there is a wheel kit available for the model

hi - i got tom at wheel and spoke to do my blacj excel 19 and 17 combo for my street tracker. great work reasonably priced. top bloke too.

ken

I haven't dealt with him but I will be getting him to do a 17 one for my Pre82 race bike

flash
3rd January 2006, 15:16
so how much would this cost all together do you think?, its starting to look like it might get too dear already

Coyote
3rd January 2006, 15:35
Since its a KTM, you might be able to get a bolt on kit from a local KTM dealer. Not really sure if they have one for the 300 but its worth a shot

XTC
3rd January 2006, 15:53
Saw some motard wheels and discs master cylinder chain sprocket and brake hose on TM recently for a KTM525 price was $2500.

sugilite
3rd January 2006, 19:24
Spoked wheels are required for proper supermoto races (dirt and road sections) Street wheels (mags) can be used for road racing/kart track work.

I do not know of any cheap wheels though. I had my standard hubs laced up to the wider rims, was not cheap. I think you can buy new completely set up wheels for less now.

flash
3rd January 2006, 21:23
once again thanks...

i thnk i might just do road/track racing first (cheaper to find some second hand street wheels).
i have a chance to get some yamaha tzr250, wheels cheap, would they fit on the exc?

Kickaha
4th January 2006, 06:13
i have a chance to get some yamaha tzr250, wheels cheap, would they fit on the exc?

Anything will fit if you make it,but without modification no they wont,but if they are cheap enough it's probably worth grabbing them anyway depending on what size they are

flash
4th January 2006, 18:13
heres a pic of the bike, its a bit rough in some places by it goes like stink.
it looks like ill be getting some street mags for it seem their cheaper than the spoked

excuse the dirtyness i havnt fully cleaned it since the last ride

clint640
6th January 2006, 12:16
When looking for wheels at the wreckers you want something with the same or slightly smaller axles & the same or slightly narrower width, then get the hub turned out to accept the KTM size wheel bearings & add spacers. Check the chain line on the rear - this will be an issue cos on most streetbikes the sprocket is further outboard. Check the disc positions too. As Alaruba says, KTM have SM kits for most of their bikes, check the hardparts catalog. If you want a quick change these are the best option, or at least KTM hubs.

Cheers
Clint