PDA

View Full Version : Safety gear - newbie questions

El Dopa
13th March 2004, 17:42
Slowly getting myself sorted out....

I've got some questions on bike protective gear. If anyone's got any hints and tips, or can recommend some good brands/makes, let me know.

Helmets: discussed at some length elsewhere, but has anyone got any strong feelings about those full face jobbies with the flip-up front faceplate? Any problems people have heard of i.e. are they inherantly less safe than the one-piece type? Any other features I should look out for?

Boots: Anyone had any experience riding road bikes with motocross boots? The guy in the shop I talked to said they were slightly chunkier, and this can cause difficulties with gear changes. Opinions?

Back protector: Any special features I should be loking out for e.g. long enough to cover the tailbone, rigid plastic vs hard foam etc.

Trousers: I vaguely recall a mate in the UK having a set of leather 'bib overall' type trousers, which gave a bit of back protection if he came off and the jacket rode up, cos there was a bit of overlap. I've looked in a couple of places round here and haven't seen anything similar. Anyone got any ideas/opinions? I've also not seen many trousers, except the full race suits, that have built-in knee protection. I'm after a bit of armour, not sliders (not yet, anyway...).

All suggestions and advice gratefully received.

KATWYN
13th March 2004, 17:50
Slowly getting myself sorted out....

I've got some questions on bike protective gear. If anyone's got any hints and tips, or can recommend some good brands/makes, let me know.

Helmets: discussed at some length elsewhere, but has anyone got any strong feelings about those full face jobbies with the flip-up front faceplate? Any problems people have heard of i.e. are they inherantly less safe than the one-piece type? Any other features I should look out for?

Boots: Anyone had any experience riding road bikes with motocross boots? The guy in the shop I talked to said they were slightly chunkier, and this can cause difficulties with gear changes. Opinions?

Back protector: Any special features I should be loking out for e.g. long enough to cover the tailbone, rigid plastic vs hard foam etc.

Trousers: I vaguely recall a mate in the UK having a set of leather 'bib overall' type trousers, which gave a bit of back protection if he came off and the jacket rode up, cos there was a bit of overlap. I've looked in a couple of places round here and haven't seen anything similar. Anyone got any ideas/opinions? I've also not seen many trousers, except the full race suits, that have built-in knee protection. I'm after a bit of armour, not sliders (not yet, anyway...).

All suggestions and advice gratefully received.

Knees & elbow protectors a real investment as well as a good set of gloves with palm reinforcment. Not a good look seeing the results of no knee protectors :sick:

Motu
13th March 2004, 18:29
After wearing MX boots all these years I just couldn't wear road boots now - it'd be like wearing carpet slippers! Trials boots are best,lighter than MX boots and more flexable,with a grippy sole that is good to walk in,but still offer much more protection than street boots.I'm reshearching my next boots now.

I have gone from an armidillo type back protector to a foam job - I'm happy for any back protection.Next on my list are some hinged knee pads so I can wear my MX pants on the street - road pants are warm and dry,but I hate wearing them.

curious george
13th March 2004, 22:30
My thinking goes something like:
If you value any particular part of your body, cover it with something hard on the outside, and soft on the inside.

I don't know, but I thought the Flip-top helmets were just as safe impact wise, but heavier, which is something for your neck consider.

Apart from that, ankels, hips, hands, elbows, (all the sticky-out bits) tend to get broken in a bad fall. Just someting to consider if yuo are buying new.
I have a clover back protector which I like, nice and comfy.
My 2c

pete376403
13th March 2004, 22:49
I've got a flip BMW system III helmet, I like it cos its easy to get on over the assorted shit (glasses/hearing aid) thats stuck behind my ear. It's probably a little heavier than a one piece but I can live with that. No idea of its crash performance however it meets all the required standards. Whatever helmet you get DON'T leave it on the bike seat where it will surely get knocked onto the road.

Holy Roller
14th March 2004, 10:16
Send off to Motomail for their catalogue. 0800 668 662
It has most of the gear one would want even those leather bib trousers.
The bib provideds extra warmth too.
But is not a fashion statement to wear out on the town.

ching_ching
14th March 2004, 10:28
Hey man,

Don't forget inner linings (most gear will have removable types) for when riding in low temperature weather and you might want to score a neck warmer or something similar. Mr Windy can sneak under your lid and down and around your collars and give you the chilly willies. :2thumbsup

ching_ching

El Dopa
15th March 2004, 19:21
A big thankyou to all who replied. I'll hopefully be lurking around motomail and AMPS this Saturday, like a kid in a sweet shop.