PDA

View Full Version : Pillions

Jackrat
14th March 2004, 10:52
You know those people who would get on the back,"Fuk"What are they thinking??.Bikes not a stationwagon bro.
Anybody carry pillions by choise an what do ya' get from it. :mobile: :wacko:

Racey Rider
14th March 2004, 12:11
Taking the girls for a ride is always enjoyable. :2thumbsup
For some reason when I had my VF750 a number of "young women" wanted to ride with Racey.

Enjoyed giving them a taste of the bike'n scene.
Finding their screem limit through corners.
And let's be honest! The "Check out how well my brakes work" line, to feel those breasts pressed into your back!
(Should I have let that one out off the bag?) :o
Pathetic I know,, but if it's all your allowed to get... :innocent:

Holy Roller
14th March 2004, 12:48
Take my kids when I can, its a great time training them in the way they should go. Trips away with Mrs. on the back were some of the most enjoyable, stopping at out of the way cafe's.... need more of this, 20 yrs of marriage and I still enjoy taking my girl out :banana: :hug: :hug:

Al
14th March 2004, 14:23
I also have the Mrs as passenger on "look and discover" trips! :)

Zed
14th March 2004, 14:38
You know those people who would get on the back,"Fuk"What are they thinking??.Bikes not a stationwagon bro.
Because I choose to ride sportsbikes I often tell people that "they aren't really made for pillions!" Too uncomfortable for them you see (and me)...there are bikes made for a more cumfy pillion ride- I'm just not into them!

When I ride I prefer to be alone on the bike, guess I'm selfish? :bleh: My wife doesn't have a problem with that.

Zed

wkid_one
14th March 2004, 14:46
Must say that the R1 was actually beaut with a pillion on - apart from the increased tendancy to ride more like a unicycle.

Modern sportbikes are blessed with HUGE pilot seats tho - which isn't that flash for the pillion.

Yamahamaman
14th March 2004, 14:51
[b][color=darkgreen]My wife doesn't have a problem with that.
Zed
Does Mrs Zed have a dislike of motorcycles?

I prefer to be pillionless, but I will help out if required.

Zed
14th March 2004, 15:04
[QUOTE=Yamahamaman]Does Mrs Zed have a dislike of motorcycles?[QUOTE]

Nup, she went on the back of my Fireblade a few times, too uncomfortable after a while though. She has asked a few times to go on the back of the zx6r but I have been putting it off...:cool: She is very supportive of my riding, always tells me to be careful when I leave home??

Aucker
14th March 2004, 15:18
Don't do it cos it cramps my style! :msn-wink:

Two Smoker
14th March 2004, 16:26
I enjoy taking my g/f pillion so she knows why im rambling on about bikes 24/7, my bike feels alot more stable with the little bit of extra weight (she's only 5 foot and weighs 42kgs....) But sometimes i prefer to go by myself so i can push the bike a bit more hehehehe

Sheep Dags
15th March 2004, 08:54
I can't wait to be able to take pillions! (Bloody licencing system! :angry2: )
Give them a taste of what I'm on about all the time! Maybe THEY can be wearing a huge grin when they come home from a blat too :P

franco
15th March 2004, 14:56
Pillion passengers are great. I don't use the bike as the normal modus operandi for ferrying people between places, that's what cars are for. But to take the g/f out for a liesurly cruise is certainly comes with some rewards :D even on my SV650 which isn't the best bike for such things.

I had an awesome ride to Castlepoint on Saturday. The sun was shining, the road was dry, the birds were singing...:2thumbsup

Aucker
15th March 2004, 15:01
I had an awesome ride to Castlepoint on Saturday. The sun was shining, the road was dry, the birds were singing...:2thumbsup
you must have a real quiet bike...I usually scare the birds away on my pillionless machine! :ar15:

wkid_one
15th March 2004, 16:15
The two biggest things I find with taking pillions

Experience of you: They have ALL the responsibility. If you bin it - you are held accountable - they are largely putting their body (that is the rule of mine) and life in your hands. Make sure YOU know what you are doing when taking a pillion
Experience of them: If they haven't ever been pillion - teach them or don't take them. You don't want to be barrelling in to a corner at 100kph only to find they have freaked out and want off. They will cause you to crash.
I have had a situation where I took a girl pillion - told her what to do. However at the first roundabout she freaked and lent the wrong way. Nothing I could do as I had set up for corner - needless to say we went straight ahead instead of turning right.

You risk increasely exponentially when carrying a pillion as you can't control how they will react to your riding.

In saying that - having someone place all their trust in you is a wicked feeling when you are riding. And it gives you someone to talk to when parked at lights etc waiting. Plus you often get the chance to cop a feel

RiderInBlack
15th March 2004, 17:00
Yep, agree with Wkid One, train you pillion and watch out for the skitterish ones (better off not taking those ones:thud: ). Still a good replacement for foreplay :whistle: :yeah::msn-wink:
PS: finds it gives them an excuse to cop a feel too:D

Wenier
15th March 2004, 17:43
yea jus to take girls and if i have to a mate cus he breaks his bike but yea mainly girls who want to go for a ride.

Two Smoker
15th March 2004, 18:41
you must have a real quiet bike...I usually scare the birds away on my pillionless machine! :ar15:
Ive made cows run coz my bike was screaming at 13000:laugh:

Suzi Q
15th March 2004, 19:23
My husband prefers not to take a Pillion - he says it affects the handling of the bike. But in saying that he said the TL was better sometimes with me on the back.
When I bought my own bike he was worried he was pushing me into it to get me off the back of his bike!!! Luckily I really wanted my own bike. I have yet to take a pillion - my own riding is a little scary without having someone on the back to muck things up if they lean the wrong way.
I am planning on taking a friend of ours who is small, lightweight and experienced for my first pillion ride cause I know someday whether I like it or not I will have to take a pillion. :yes:

pete376403
15th March 2004, 19:39
I like taking my wife and kids out (not all at once, that comes later when I get a sidecar) The GS is a big comfortable LazyBoy chair with wheels, several times coming back from the Brass along the boring bits between Ashburton & ChCh, the guys I'm riding with say the pillion is asleep on the back.
It's correct what someone said about the responsibility, though. When the others go thrashing off through Haast, I'm plonking along down the back.

erik
15th March 2004, 19:53
I haven't ever taken a pillion, but I've only been riding for a short while.
But I was wondering what sort of safety gear (apart from a helmet), if any, do you get your pillions to wear?

Personally, I'm pretty paranoid about falling off so wear safety gear when I ride. If I was going to take a pillion it would seem wrong to let them ride with a possibly ill fitting helmet, and just regular clothes if I had full safety gear. But then you can't really go and buy safety gear for someone that just wants a ride.
So I guess there is really a lot of responsibility to be bloody careful with a pillion on the back.

Two Smoker
15th March 2004, 20:00
I haven't ever taken a pillion, but I've only been riding for a short while.
But I was wondering what sort of safety gear (apart from a helmet), if any, do you get your pillions to wear?

Personally, I'm pretty paranoid about falling off so wear safety gear when I ride. If I was going to take a pillion it would seem wrong to let them ride with a possibly ill fitting helmet, and just regular clothes if I had full safety gear. But then you can't really go and buy safety gear for someone that just wants a ride.
So I guess there is really a lot of responsibility to be bloody careful with a pillion on the back.
Shit yes as Wikid said, its the riders responsibility, When i take pillions they can only go if the helmet fits well, they have boots and jeans, and i supply the glove, helmet, and Cordura Jacket with armour, anything less and they aren't gotting on the back of my bike...

MadDuck
15th March 2004, 20:07
hahahaha...for the few that have met me. Ummmm pillion out of the question as I struggle to stand upright at the lights with just me own self. Am still looking for high heel bike boots :bleh:

Funny though as I used to pillion all sorts on the ole 125.

DEATH_INC.
15th March 2004, 20:11
I generally don't carry pillions with the exception of mates who need a ride to pick up their bike,or who've broken down(if I'm on a bike with a pillion seat)or any one silly enough to want to know how my bike goes :lol: But then I'm one of the lucky one's,the missus has her own bike.....

White trash
16th March 2004, 06:48
My missus has had a gutsfull of riding round on one wheel so I'm normally solo.

Especially since she kicked me out, no way she's getting near my bike. I'm likely to come home to find it with a set of golf clubs wrapped around the tank :crazy:

Deano
16th March 2004, 07:37
The pillion seat on the SP-1 is little more than a bad joke - but I didn't buy the bike to carry around extra ballast (hope she doesn't read this or Im dead).

Coming back from Wanganui Cemetary Circuit last year, she (the missus not the baby) got cramps in her legs and arse at north side of Paekak hill - I didn't hear her say she was in pain so I carried on regardless.

She isn't interested in any more long trips on the back of the bike - not that I care - more fun for me...lol

wkid_one
16th March 2004, 11:37
I didn't think the SP1 came out with a pillion seat? I thought you had to buy that seperately? I always thought it was a shame that the R1 didn't come with a rear seat cowl to replace the pillion seat. In the end I had the rear pegs off and a fabricated bracket to hold the pipe - as I didn't take pillions often enuf and this prevented any stow aways mid trip.

Deano
16th March 2004, 12:58
I didn't think the SP1 came out with a pillion seat? I thought you had to buy that seperately? I always thought it was a shame that the R1 didn't come with a rear seat cowl to replace the pillion seat. In the end I had the rear pegs off and a fabricated bracket to hold the pipe - as I didn't take pillions often enuf and this prevented any stow aways mid trip.

It had both the detachable seat and the cowl when I bought it - So when are you back on the road Wkid?

wkid_one
16th March 2004, 14:55
Back on the road??? I don't know - and honestly I am in no hurry. I took a mates bike out for a ride in the weekend and went for a quick spin over the hill (tempting fate I know) - BUT, I burnt a hole through both knees of my jeans (yes blah blah blah protective gear blah blah blah) - and nice friction burns on my left knee also. So much for learning from my lessons. Still have concerns about my personal safety on a bike with the way I ride.

PS - for those on the hill who saw an idiot on a boring silver 2003 GSXR - that was me. You probably would have heard me when coming from the 'rapa side on the top bend when I screamed in pain when my jeans gave way and my knee cap became an impromtu slider on the top bend

bungbung
16th March 2004, 15:04
But was it fun?

yessssssssss :eek:

kasper
16th March 2004, 15:40
My rules for any pillion.

Sit down, Hold on, and QUIT squirmin!

I advise them that if they cant feel me breathing they arnt holdign on tight enough (since they will then move the same way your own body does).To never put the legs down. To tell me if they want me to pullover.

Aslo the pillions that ride regulaly with me all have there own helmet and i carry a spare set of armour for them.

And Sandwalker didnt complain about the ride from auckland to hamilton except when it got cold at 1 am (he had no visor in his helmet so i switrched helmets since mine had a visor) also slowed dwon to 80km/h.

And I ride two styles. With and without a pillion onlye ever had accidents wheni was riding without. and I never play around with a pillion on the back.

wkid_one
16th March 2004, 15:54
yes it was...although I don't think I have calmed down enuf yet to venture back on the roads regardless of the licensing situation

Grumpy
16th March 2004, 19:13
Can't say I ever enjoyed taking a pillion but the Mrs certainly changed that. Ever since the first time she threw a leg over the pillion seat she's been an excellent pillion. Besides, her eye sights better than mine so she came in handy when one of those bloody speed cameras was lurking in the bushes. :eek5:

Zed
16th March 2004, 19:54
Can't say I ever enjoyed taking a pillion but the Mrs certainly changed that. Ever since the first time she threw a leg over the pillion seat she's been an excellent pillion. Besides, her eye sights better than mine so she came in handy when one of those bloody speed cameras was lurking in the bushes. :eek5:
Sure, there are pros & cons with pillions...what you need is one of those intercom systems where you can conversate with eachother- no arguments though cos you'll run out the batteries!! :crazy:

Yamahamaman
16th March 2004, 19:58
Sure, there are pros & cons with pillions...what you need is one of those intercom systems where you can conversate with eachother- no arguments though cos you'll run out the batteries!! :crazy:
There isn't a Mrs Yamahamaman, and don't have a problem. But a concealed off switch could be a good idea :yeah:

Holy Roller
16th March 2004, 20:06
There isn't a Mrs Yamahamaman, and don't have a problem. But a concealed off switch could be a good idea :yeah:

Just make sure the speaker is in the deaf ear, One can get heaps of mileage out of that line

RiderInBlack
17th March 2004, 20:50
Just make sure the speaker is in the deaf ear, One can get heaps of mileage out of that line
Gee I thought that was a definite advantage of the bike:shutup::whistle: Why ruin it by giving them an intercom? Having my ears burnt:mad: :doh: while riding the bike would definitely cause an accident:thud:

PS: Took the Girlfriend out for a ride yesterday. Didn't get much sleep last night:buggerd: Told you it was good replacement for foreplay:msn-wink:

Coldkiwi
18th March 2004, 11:19
funny comments guys!
My rule is that I don't take people pillion unless they're really keen. that instantly solves the 'oh help, I want to get off' problem.
Secondly, I take it really easy. I want to encourage more people to like bikes (particularly my fiancee so I reduce the odds of getting told 'no, you can't have that ZX-10, we need a new fence (sorry dave!)' some years down the track). Scaring the crap out of them by trying to deck the show out through the corner is not the way to do it.
thirdly. I lecture the pillion at length before they get on about what to do. "if you're not sure, close your eyes and sit still and you'll do fine!". once we're moving I allow a few stops to correct them so they get the idea before i get on to faster roads where the risks increase if they panic.
fourthly... having a small featherwieght partner rocks :)

MadDuck
23rd March 2004, 22:22
All great comments guys ...but the MadDuck still wants to know where the hell to get high hell bike boots from :finger: and dont say mototmail cos I cant afford it

Posh Tourer :P
23rd March 2004, 23:10
Two experiences with pillions.... back on the old MZ.... one was shit-scared and didnt go further than down the drive cos it was asking for trouble to have a limp rag as a pillion. The other sat upright and screamed.... much better for me cos she was riding properly.... :laugh: wouldnt take a unexperienced pillion out on the main roads though.... Always get pillions to put hands round your waist.... helps them stay with you and not lean wrong... or at least you might be able to tell if they arent. that and if they freak out hopefully they hang on to you even tighter, which is a good thing :yes: :lol: Never let them hold the pillion grips unless they are more experienced....

Skyryder
24th March 2004, 19:54
Yea I agree with W/ One. Just take it easy with pillions untill they are comfortable with your riding style. There is nothing worse than lining up for a corner and missing the line because the pillion has freaked out at the wrong time. As for the touchy feely thing I can remember years ago taking a pair of large bristalls on the back :bleh: .........too much of a distraction.

Skyryder

Zed
10th April 2004, 07:11
Took my wife on the back of my new bike for the first time yesterday, rode for about an hour out to Murawai beach. We were both pleasantly surprised how the CBR600 handled it. It was so much fun that she is keen for more- now I'll have to buy her a new helmet! :sneaky2:

Zed

KATWYN
10th April 2004, 20:48
I know that i'm risking my own life when I get on my bike- thats
my call.

In the event of something unforeseen, am not going to risk someone elses :no: .
Considering its the pillion that will get catapulted higher than me.

Zed
10th April 2004, 21:15
I know that i'm risking my own life when I get on my bike- thats
my call.

In the event of something unforeseen, am not going to risk someone elses :no: .
Considering its the pillion that will get catapulted higher than me.
Hi Katwyn, I presume it would be fairly uncomfortable for a pillion on the back of an R6 anyway...such road-racer type bikes should only have one person on them at a time.

Regarding the safety factor, I know where you're coming from, but are you so cautious in everything "unforeseen" in life? :confused:

Zed

FROSTY
10th April 2004, 22:35
I carry my 4 year old son with me almost every time I ride.He sits in a car seat on the back of the bike. I can't remember a time I rode solo.I ride totally differently with him on the bike than I don solo. I guess the dangle angle is almost zero and the throttle doesn't get twisted as hard.

KATWYN
11th April 2004, 09:51
Hi Katwyn, I presume it would be fairly uncomfortable for a pillion on the back of an R6 anyway...such road-racer type bikes should only have one person on them at a time.

Regarding the safety factor, I know where you're coming from, but are you so cautious in everything "unforeseen" in life? :confused:

Zed

Ummm isn't that why we wear protective gear?? you know, for "things unseen" that type of thing

Also,I know plenty of riders/people who are "cautious in everything unforeseen in life"..........when they are responsible for someone/something else. I think its called RISK MANAGEMENT

Zed
11th April 2004, 13:03
Ummm isn't that why we wear protective gear?? you know, for "things unseen" that type of thing

Also,I know plenty of riders/people who are "cautious in everything unforeseen in life"..........when they are responsible for someone/something else. I think its called RISK MANAGEMENT
I can respect that, but when one is so cautious to the extreme that they will NOT transport another person with them on a motorcycle or car or bus or plane, then that is more of a phobia than risk management.

Not saying that this is you Katwyn, for in the event where you were forced to pillion someone in an emergency I'm sure you would, wouldn't you? :doctor:

Zed

magnum
11th April 2004, 13:09
prefer not to ride 2 up but will if travelling in a group to help out,last time actually found it helped me as i tried to ride more smooth[when going quick]so as not to scare my passenger. :kick:

Hitcher
11th April 2004, 21:43
When you can get her off her own ride, Mrs H is the Pillion In A Million!

Ogri
12th April 2004, 06:48
Mr O ( who has ridden his own bikes for over 20 years) refuses to "pillion" with me..............wonder why?????????
:whistle:

KATWYN
12th April 2004, 13:27
I can respect that, but when one is so cautious to the extreme that they will NOT transport another person with them on a motorcycle or car or bus or plane, then that is more of a phobia than risk management.

Not saying that this is you Katwyn, for in the event where you were forced to pillion someone in an emergency I'm sure you would, wouldn't you? :doctor:

Zed

Yes. I have taken pillions before.