PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bikies offroad adventures.

FROSTY
4th January 2006, 14:14
Whilst down in Taupo Baby Bikie decided he wanted to go on a REAL trail ride on his lil 50cc Yamaha trailee.
Thanks to Trumpy who ran us all the way out to a huge (400or so acres) bit of land with trails and whoops and berms for africa.
Well BB was all fired up with his armour on quick as a flash
As soon as I had the bike going--He was off---straight towards what id call bloody big hole -1.8m deep with pretty steep sides.-
In he goes and up out the other side no worries at all. -dads heard going 1000beats per second imagining him in a littl ball at the bottom.
All was looking good in Baby bikies world Hes racing around like a bloody MXer -Till he got a bit too cocky.
He slowly aproached the bottom of a good sized slope and gasses the bike up --halfway up the bike stops going forwards and wheelspins --then dumps him on the deck--in the only frigging gorse bush for 50km in any direction.
Qudos to him that he (Once dad had removed most of the prickles) then went on to ride his bike for another half hour and dropped it about 10 times.
Better still 2 days later once Id removed the rest of the gorse prickles from his skin he was dead keen to give it another go.
Again Thanks a million to trumpy who gave up half of his day to run us out there and loaned Me some gear and his bike to chase BB down

Colapop
4th January 2006, 14:17
Haha he'll get learneded one day - or become a bloody decent rider and earn a decent living so Pa Bear can retire!

froggyfrenchman
4th January 2006, 14:26
sounds like good times, good to hear he was keen to get back on the horse (power) that threw him

MSTRS
4th January 2006, 14:28
Good on yer Frosty. Can't wrap your kids in cottonwool. Does em no favours.
Keep up the good work (and take the heart pills)

riffer
4th January 2006, 14:52
Nice to hear he's doing well.

And great to hear no broken bones as well.

Can't say the same here.

After a whole day's racing (bmx) we took Tim to a mate's place.

He's on the trampoline, gets double-bounced a fair way in the air, lands head first on the deck of the house.

First broken bone - one nasty looking nose...

So he's sticking to racing bikes for a while - much safer... ;)

Colapop
4th January 2006, 15:30
Kids are the best toys aren't they? They can provide adrenaline rushes and near heart attacks in large doses at times. Only thing is it can be really frustrating learning how to get 'em to work.
Reminds me of my daughter (a few years ago) learning to ride hide bicycle. I'm running beside her having let go of the bike and she's yelling at me (while getting faster) "Don't let go I can't ride!!" After 20 metres or so I couldn't keep up and she just kept going .... straight down the road for about a k and a half! She stopped and looked around, then started crying when she found out I was miles away. So she turned the bike around and rode back to complain to me that I hadn't held the bike for her!

trumpy
4th January 2006, 16:29
Pleasure Frosty. Baby bikie did brilliantly well considering he was pretty much thrown in the deep end....all kudos to him.
Any Kiwibiker who is down this way and wants to do some trail riding pm me and we'll work something out.

FROSTY
4th January 2006, 16:36
Yea trumpy--Im actually keen to get a bike that fits him.Hes at that inbetween size -too big for a 50 too small for a 80 -I wondered about a pit bike for him with a shorter back shock

trumpy
4th January 2006, 16:48
Probably a good plan Frosty.
Next motox option up is either a 50 two smoker or something like a kx 65 with lowered suspension..but be warned these are real little missiles (my sons 65 shifted my rather ample bulk along quite well never mind his kx85!)
If Baby Bikie is more into trail riding a pit bike or a JR80 would be better options...much easier in the bush.

Otis243
8th January 2006, 11:47
Probably a good plan Frosty.
Next motox option up is either a 50 two smoker or something like a kx 65 with lowered suspension..but be warned these are real little missiles (my sons 65 shifted my rather ample bulk along quite well never mind his kx85!)
If Baby Bikie is more into trail riding a pit bike or a JR80 would be better options...much easier in the bush.

My lad learnt to ride on a TY80 and then moved onto a Beta Rev80. This is a true little trials bike but he isn't really a trials rider :no: !... lacks the finesse ;) The Beta has full 21" front and 18" rear wheels but a junior frame. the 21" front really helps him to ride over obstacles that he couldn't manage with the small front wheel of the TY80.

I took the view that he should learn on a manual machine that wasn't a balistic missile (KX65) and when he could properly control a bike he could move onto speed.

He mostly rides around a 10 acre field with @ 2 meter mounds & very small jumps etc. We are moving to NZ from the UK next month and I hope the Beta will be suitable for family trail rides etc. - probably re-geared with smaller rear sprocket.