PDA

View Full Version : LTSA - shorten licence period for me....please?

skelstar
5th January 2006, 12:10
I am old enough to benefit from the shorter licencing periods that the LTSA bestow on us old and more 'responsible' motorists. I graduate from a learners to a restricted licence on 18th Jan (all things going well). I believe the restricted period is 6 months for me (over 25yrs), and can be reduced to 3 months if I do a driving course ie 'Defensive driving'.

The problem is that I do a LOT of riding and do wish to wait that long...Im too impatient (see signature). My bike is devaluing all the time and I dont want to ride it like I am for another three months. So I think once I have passed the R test, Ill write to the LTSA asking them to allow me to take the Full test.

What do reckon my chances are? Anyone had any experience?

These are the reasons Ill state in the letter:

1. I have only ever had one speeding ticket (about 7 years ago).
2. One non-injury accident (10 years ago).
3. 13 years driving experience.
4. Dont want to devalue my bike as 250s dont generally last as long as a bigger bike.
5. I enjoy rding long distances and 250's are not well suited to this.
5.5 [Edit] I have done 14000kms so I have had a fair amount of experience.

6. Truth is, my bike aint fast enough (in a responsible manner). this will not be stated.

I might flesh it out a bit but its the gist.

Thanks!

Sniper
5th January 2006, 12:13
I don't think you will have a lot of luck in that. But if you do write away to them, don't mention the accident or ticket.

Good luck

skelstar
5th January 2006, 12:17
I don't think you will have a lot of luck in that. But if you do write away to them,
They actually supply the mechanism for applying for exemptions (ie a form and a $22 fee) so I suspect it wont be out of the question.
I think youre right about the ticket/acci thing. Could just say 'excellent driving record' :).

Str8 Jacket
5th January 2006, 12:17
Good luck dude, a mate of mine tried this when he got his restricted. Tryed using his height/size as an excuse and wanted to legally ride his 400cc, unfortunately his request was declined and he was your age, with no speeding tickets or driving convictions..... So ive got my fingers crossed for you!

Uncle B
5th January 2006, 12:25
You can only but give it a try. Hopefully they might have a case by case approach.
I can understand with you wanting a bigger bike. When I was on my 2fiddy I had to plan my trips trying to avoid as much highway as possible. 6ft 2, 100kg does not equal comfortable highway cruising.

skelstar
5th January 2006, 12:28
You can only but give it a try. Hopefully they might have a case by case approach.
I can understand with you wanting a bigger bike. When I was on my 2fiddy I had to plan my trips trying to avoid as much highway as possible. 6ft 2, 100kg does not equal comfortable highway cruising.
Its only to see what the front of your bike looks like UB. ;)

iwilde
5th January 2006, 12:29
I hope for your sake and everybody else's they bring back the CBTA system early this year, I've shortened my time down heaps, learners in October, restricted late December and with a bit of luck full later this month.

madboy
5th January 2006, 12:51
I was lucky to fluke it during the CBTA trial period... heaps of demerits, heaps of form, 400cc bike... nothing to full inside 3 months. I feel for ya, Skel, I really do. Considering we were slowing to your bike's top speed for the corners!

I don't value your chances with the LTSA. I've completed one of those exemption forms, but it was only so that I could legally use my 400 for the course itself. The other 3,000kms...

The law is an ass. It is designed for the lowest common denominator. Build your bridge.............. then jump it illegally on a 1000cc bike :devil2:

Korea
5th January 2006, 12:51
Mmmm... good luck with that, but I suspect the reply might go something along the lines of:

"Dear Mr. Skelstar,

Thank you for your interest in reducing your licencing period.
You are special, really special and deserve to be exempted from having to wait the required period of time between licences.
In fact, we are going to blow-off the whole full-licence test too, <I>Just for you!</I>.
Hahahhahahah... Just kidding, the LTSA is not without humour; we're not going to do a thing. We're going to keep your $22 to buy a Doz. for Friday night drinks at the office, but in the meantime you can wait 'till hell freezes over before you get your full licence for all we care.

What? You don't like that? Cry me a river"

Still, "nothing ventured, nothing gained" ~ give it a try.:wavey:

skelstar
5th January 2006, 12:57
Beer money - fair enough :).

MB - have thought about the 1000cc-riding...more than once. Would do it if it werent for the insurance issue, as we had disscussed.

madboy
5th January 2006, 13:09
MB - have thought about the 1000cc-riding...more than once. Would do it if it werent for the insurance issue, as we had disscussed.Yeah, that wasn't high on priority list back then. It wouldn't put me off a bike. But then I CAN get insurance for my 636, so that's rich for me to say :nya:

limbimtimwim
5th January 2006, 13:23
Ill write to the LTSA asking them to allow me to take the Full test.I think they can't give you an exemption from the whole 'Graduated Licence' thingamy, in other words, you can't say 'please take time off' but I think you can ask for the restrictions to be removed. Ie a large CC limit or something.

I would say "send it to Auckland" to be processed, but you have to supply ID when you submit it. So if you happen to be in Auckland, submit it there.. Otherwise..

skelstar
5th January 2006, 13:37
...but I think you can ask for the restrictions to be removed. Ie a large CC limit or something....
Wooo, not a bad idea actually. Might try and give that a go.

VasalineWarrior
5th January 2006, 15:43
Good luck with that pack of bloodsucking beauracrats. But you never know. How does that saying go? ...''ask and ye shall receive..'', and you lose nothing by trying. I think madboy is right though (shudder), and a lot of the bikers I know have got on their ''risky'' licence and gone straight out and bought something bigger than a 250-thats why you dont see any decals on my bike informing unfriendly constabulary of its cubic capacity. If you do this though just make sure you jack up to borrow someone else's 250 in 6 months time

Streetwise
19th February 2006, 16:49
The CBTA system was a scam from the start, It only involved 5 driving or riding schools throughout the country, Old boys network, Hardly fair on other small business. There was know such thing as a trial period as it ran for years. It would have run for ever if certain driver and motorcycle trainers didnt put up a fight. I think that experience is gained over time and thats the way it should be, Want your full licence earlier then get it at fifteen.

Lazy7
19th February 2006, 17:56
if you just want a bigger bike, you could try getting an excemption on the 250 stating that your physical size is such that a 250 is too small for you and dangerous.

when i was at the line for learners, there was a 6foot7 body builder who told me that he was doing that very thing... he was 160kg's or something however.

how big are ya?

skelstar
20th February 2006, 07:18
Super average :). 177cm, 80kg.

Gremlin
20th February 2006, 20:13
Either you could go through a process to try to get your license time shortened (no idea how to go about), or, as others have said, try for the cc exemption. From your stats.... errr.... size will not be a very swaying factor :oi-grr:

I went through the cc exemption application, $22.20, the form was sent to Christchurch for consideration, and I had my Yes in just over a week. Some got an extended limit (400-500 or something). I tried for an open exemption (didn't list cc or anything, just asked for the cc exemption on the grounds of size, and effect of size) and got it.

However, I also went into Colemans and Sarge helped me out picking out a range of cc bikes, Rayza photographed me, then I sent them in as well, to display my size on bikes.

You could also try reasons like being your only bike, needing transport as no public alternatives exist... anything really. Each application is considered individually.

skelstar
21st February 2006, 07:35
Gonna just riding it out (ha!!) for another 2 months. Have my Hornet 'in the gargre' until then.