PDA

View Full Version : Mods N Rockers

Motu
14th March 2004, 21:18
Polish up those Vespas,seeya there punks!

SpankMe
27th March 2004, 19:52
Sounds good, but wheres the run from/to??

Jackrat
11th April 2004, 23:09
Yep see ya' there.
I hav'nt checked out where yet but knowing the Auckland chapter it will probably be out camp Adair at Hunua.
Will check an get back to ya's.

Jackrat
13th April 2004, 10:19
The run starts at Scooter e motion in Mt Eden and ends at a scout camp at Cleavdon.Their wiill bunks for the privlliged few plus heaps of tent sites.
A car will be available at the start to carry tents an such.

Hitcher
13th April 2004, 10:26
The run starts at Scooter e motion in Mt Eden and ends at a scout camp at Cleavdon.Their wiill bunks for the privlliged few plus heaps of tent sites.
A car will be available at the start to carry tents an such.

It would be much more exciting if the scoots had to carry their own tents!!

Blackbird
13th April 2004, 12:02
:argh: Gawd almighty - that brings back some memories! As a student, I had a Triumph Tiger 100 and rode down to Brighton in the UK a few times when there were rolling brawls on the seafront between the Mods and rockers.

That sort of gives my age away :laugh:

Jackrat
13th April 2004, 17:02
:argh: Gawd almighty - that brings back some memories! As a student, I had a Triumph Tiger 100 and rode down to Brighton in the UK a few times when there were rolling brawls on the seafront between the Mods and rockers.

That sort of gives my age away :laugh:
Used to read every thing I could about the English bike scene when I was a kid.One day an Aunty called me a Mod,,,,aghhhhhhhh, talk about gutted :Pokey:
Never wore that bloody jacket again :laugh:

curious george
14th April 2004, 07:29
Ummm, excuse me guys, but what's a mod?
I can guess what a rocker is, (the thing granny sits in), but what's a mod?
-Seriously! I know the song, she's a mod, but tht was not help...
*goes to google*

pete376403
14th April 2004, 10:29
Ummm, excuse me guys, but what's a mod?
I can guess what a rocker is, (the thing granny sits in), but what's a mod?
-Seriously! I know the song, she's a mod, but tht was not help...
*goes to google*
Ah, grasshopper, you have much to learn..
In Britain in the '60s, the Rockers all rode big (for the day) 500s and 650s. They wore leather, jeans and probably had long greasy hair, glued in place with Brylcreem. The Mods, by comparison, rode scooters, wore nice clothes and duffel coats. Naturally the Mods and Rockers hated each other (why?) so they used to get together at places like Brighton and pound the shit out of each other. IIRC, the Who album, Quadrophenia, is about this era.

http://www.geocities.com/jnotj/mod.html has a bit about it

curious george
14th April 2004, 11:27
Cool! Thanks for that, but I thought the Rolling Stones were a rocker group?
I have seen Quadrophenia, but that just looked like a fight between scooters and motorbikers..and talk about boring......
So, does that make Sting and the Police, Beatles, Rolling Stones all mods?
And they all evolved into punks? Wierd.
And so then the rockers progressed into.....
Tell me more granpappy!!
Sorry, I actually quite like the music from that era, it's just the history and subcurrents that elude me.

Motu
14th April 2004, 12:25
In NZ in the 60s we had Bodgies and Widgies - blokes and shielas,stove pipe jeans,winklepicker boots,slicked back hair with a DA (ducks arse) at the back,leather jackets - they drove coupes and rode Triumphs.I watched them as a child,but they were gone when I grew up - at 18 having a 38 Chev Coupe was a desparate grab at a past age...but it wasn't a cool set of wheels by then - was to me but.

pete376403
14th April 2004, 12:36
Cool! Thanks for that, but I thought the Rolling Stones were a rocker group?
I have seen Quadrophenia, but that just looked like a fight between scooters and motorbikers..and talk about boring......
So, does that make Sting and the Police, Beatles, Rolling Stones all mods?
And they all evolved into punks? Wierd.
And so then the rockers progressed into.....
Tell me more granpappy!!
Sorry, I actually quite like the music from that era, it's just the history and subcurrents that elude me.
Stones were a BLUES group, and donchu forget it!
But yeah I suppose the Stones were on the rocker side of the fence, definitely not the sort of people who a nice girl would take home to meet mum. The Beatles, OTOH, started out as rockers (when in Hamburg) but evolved to a cleaner cut (mod) type of image

jrandom
14th April 2004, 12:52
at 18 having a 38 Chev Coupe was a desparate grab at a past age...but it wasn't a cool set of wheels by then

My 40-something cousin has a 38 Chev Coupe. Some people still think they're cool wheels...

merv
14th April 2004, 13:08
My 40-something cousin has a 38 Chev Coupe. Some people still think they're cool wheels...

Things do have a habit of coming around again with age.

Jackrat
14th April 2004, 14:30
That Music thing has always been a bit blured.The mods were mostly into Black inspired music,That makes the Stones very much a Mod band.The rockers were into Elvis,But then he was also very much black inspired.
Pretty much all it was,was a flimsy reason for a punch up.
As far as I'm concerned disco still sucks.For much the same reasons.
The dress style and transport were the biggist differences.
If your a biker today you need look no farther than your own mirror to see what the rockers developed into.
One of the first European patch clubs called them selfs the Rockers.Their patch was the same as the highway 61s of today.The European Rockers were taken over by the Hells Angels and when the highway started off in NZ their use of the old Rockers patch was behind a lot of the agro' between the two groups.and so it goes on. :rolleyes:

Motu
14th April 2004, 15:29
Highway 61 were born out of the King Cobras - who we used to call the North Shore Angels,the real story? we would need someone who was there,and I doubt if they would come to this site.

Blackbird
14th April 2004, 19:36
Somewhere in the attic, I have a souvenir copy of a "Mods and Rockers" supplement issued by one of the UK bike mags a decade ago. I remember a couple of reminiscences from it. One was to see how fast you could go between the traffic lights at both ends of the Hammersmith Bridge. The unofficial record holder at one stage was a surgeon from Hammersmith Hospital on his Bonneville (what a guy!) :laugh: The other reminiscence was from an ex-biker heading down to the Easter stoush with the mods at Brighton losing control of hs bike and going straight though a sign saying "Brighton welcomes careful motorists".

It is with great embarrassment that at one stage, I looked like the guy in the photo (shudder)

johno
22nd April 2004, 22:06
Just browsing these threads and a belated post. I was right into this era in the UK. Was a Mod, rode a Lambretta Li. The Stones ?absolutely Mod group, no question. as was everything from Beatles onwards and the group thing. Rocker music was old-fashioned rock & roll. Rockers were generally older than Mods which added to the difference They were still into Elvis, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis. (There was total crap music from then on until the Beatles. Stuff like Bobby Darin, The Everly Brothers etc.). We didn't dress like them, they were in a time warp, we wore new fashion all the time, seemed to change weekly. Strangely, I now love that old Rock stuff.

scumdog
22nd April 2004, 22:15
Highway 61 were born out of the King Cobras - who we used to call the North Shore Angels,the real story? we would need someone who was there,and I doubt if they would come to this site.

There is a Highway 61 in California near San Francisco, I wonder if that is where the name comes from?

SpankMe
27th January 2007, 17:38
Oh my god. Tables turned over and beach chairs burned!! :shit: :p

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="370" wmode="transparent" data="http://www.liveleak.com/player.swf?autostart=false&token=e483bf7578"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/player.swf?autostart=false&token=e483bf7578"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><param name="quality" value="high"></object>
footage from the sixties showing mods and rockers on the south coast of england(brighton)and why theres no love lost between them

The Pastor
6th February 2007, 22:08
That lady is selling P!