PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank dent

Vegan
5th January 2006, 12:35
How does one gow about removing a dent from a fuel tank.....?

Warr
5th January 2006, 12:40
Depending on how bad...Go visit your local used car yard.
I put a "knee impression" in my tank when I was putting spaces under the fork caps.
Car dealer had a guy that spscalised in that sort of thing and called around and with suction and some special tools made a pretty good job. Value for money too as he did it for nicks!!

Vegan
5th January 2006, 12:47
I spoke to paintless dent removal - who use that suction stuff - but they said they haven't had good results from fuel tanks because they are double lined etc...so yeah...and the panel beater I called said he doesn't normally do tanks and needs someone specialized.

loosebruce
5th January 2006, 12:48
Well dont worry too much about the dent, start whacking the top of the tank in making a good place to sit on, you're less likely to slide off when pulling spreaders and high chairs then...........

Vegan
5th January 2006, 12:51
Well dont worry too much about the dent, start whacking the top of the tank in making a good place to sit on, you're less likely to slide off when pulling spreaders and high chairs then...........

:scratch: :(

Colapop
5th January 2006, 12:58
Please excuse my ignorance but can ya use air pressure to push the dent out? Or would ya need too much? Or could ya use a combinaton of pressure inside the tank with the suction thing on the outside?

Vegan
5th January 2006, 13:06
Apparently the air pressure thing is used to push out dents in car gas tanks - but the guy i spoke to seemed to think motorcycle tanks were thicker....thus harder to do?

loosebruce
5th January 2006, 13:12
Highchair and some homo doin a spreader on the tank

Colapop
5th January 2006, 13:46
Knew it had to be summat like that.

Eurodave
5th January 2006, 14:09
Please excuse my ignorance but can ya use air pressure to push the dent out? Or would ya need too much? Or could ya use a combinaton of pressure inside the tank with the suction thing on the outside?

NO , DONT!!! I have seen first hand the results of doing this, one very misshapen, bloated looking tank so NO, IT DOESNT WORK, [although youd think that it would]:hitcher:

Colapop
5th January 2006, 14:13
NO , DONT!!! I have seen first hand the results of doing this, one very misshapen, bloated looking tank so NO, IT DOESNT WORK, [although youd think that it would]:hitcher:
OKee Dokee I won't -be good to know what does work though

**R1**
5th January 2006, 14:18
The best results i have had(not that I have crashed that often:brick: ) is weld a bent washer to the center of the dent and use a slide hammer to pull the dent out, you will never get it out perfect(nothing some filler cant fix), and it will have to be resprayed, but as far as i know its the only way...

Colapop
5th January 2006, 14:20
... but hopefully it just pops back to the right shape? What do ya do about the heat from the weld (petrol and all that)? Obviously you'd empty the tank, is that enough?

Vegan
5th January 2006, 14:21
it's being repsprayed - the main reason I want it gone(the dent) - that weld option is also what the paintless dent guy suggested.

Ixion
5th January 2006, 14:22
Best results are to cut a big hole in the bottom of the tank(along a seam is best) then (take it to a pro panel beater unless you are good) panelbeat the dent out in the usual panel bashing way. then weld up the bottom of the tank (noone sees the bottom). This worked OK on the old Briddish flatbottom tanks, dunno about modern sculted jobs

Vegan
5th January 2006, 14:23
I would be removing the tank from the bike obviously - it's very easy to remove....

Cibby
5th January 2006, 14:23
buy a new tank..

Thanks postie!!! hehe

Ixion
5th January 2006, 14:24
... but hopefully it just pops back to the right shape? What do ya do about the heat from the weld (petrol and all that)? Obviously you'd empty the tank, is that enough?

NO

You will kill yourslef when the tank explodes. A tank CAN be defumed well enough for welding (I've done it many a time) but it is not a trivial task.

If anyone wants to know more PM me.

BUT NEVER TRY TO WELD A TANK THAT HAS JUST BEEN EMPTIED OUT (OR WASHED OUT WITH WATER)

Vegan
5th January 2006, 14:25
for how much ? $300 or something? fuck that

Colapop
5th January 2006, 14:33
NO

You will kill yourslef when the tank explodes. A tank CAN be defumed well enough for welding (I've done it many a time) but it is not a trivial task.

If anyone wants to know more PM me.

BUT NEVER TRY TO WELD A TANK THAT HAS JUST BEEN EMPTIED OUT (OR WASHED OUT WITH WATER)

AWWwwww c'mon Ix - can't I play with fire just a little bit?

digsaw
5th January 2006, 14:47
A tank CAN be defumed well if drained then hang it on car exaust with motor running untill tank is warm,place tank on ground around corner of shed and wave gas torch over filler,if no bang start welding without delay,have done it countless time and no problems yet :yeah: :sherlock:

Vegan
5th January 2006, 14:57
ok so who wants to come and pop my tank out? eh eh eh?

**R1**
5th January 2006, 15:36
... but hopefully it just pops back to the right shape? What do ya do about the heat from the weld (petrol and all that)? Obviously you'd empty the tank, is that enough?you need to hang the tank by the filler over an exhaust of a running bike/car, im not sure for how long so i do it for ages, that gets rid of the nasty ignitable gases, then weld away, normaly you will never get the same old shape back, buts it's pretty damn close..

**R1**
5th January 2006, 15:37
A tank CAN be defumed well if drained then hang it on car exaust with motor running untill tank is warm,place tank on ground around corner of shed and wave gas torch over filler,if no bang start welding without delay,have done it countless time and no problems yet :yeah: :sherlock: i should have read to the end aye? errrrr yeah what he said..

Colapop
5th January 2006, 15:40
Well I'll remember all this once I get back to having a ride! The info is good to store away in the ol' brain till needed.

crazefox
5th January 2006, 15:49
mate vi will give it a go 4 u:Playnice:

Eurodave
5th January 2006, 16:07
I knew a bloke a while ago that used a German made machine called a "Spitznagel" [yes I know its a funny name!!] he bought it from the local Snap On agent [google it perhaps?]
What he did with it was to spot weld what looked like a copper plated nail, head first on to the middle of the dent & then he'd use a slide hammer to pull the dent out & then just grind off the nail head, neat quick & simple :Punk:

Motu
5th January 2006, 16:33
Yeah,cool weapon those...I've used them to pull out dented sumps.It won't pop right out,and filler will still be required.

Colapop
5th January 2006, 16:34
What if ya add more than one pin?

WINJA
5th January 2006, 17:58
with a tank that has the pump in the bottom of the tank flange mounted ive just pulled the pump out and banged the dent with a drift and hammer , on one of my many munted ****ed up tanks from rollovers ive cut the underside out with a very thin cut off wheel , banged it out with various hammers .

caution with petrol when cutting and welding, i emptied my tank then let the car idle and rested the filler cap on the exhaust outlet for 1/4 hr to evaporate fuel and flood the tank with co and co2 , when i welded it back together i drifted nitro thru the the tank , it lowers oxidation and soot and makes sure any leftover fuel has no oxygen

Coyote
5th January 2006, 18:03
On the CBR, I got a panel beater to put filler over it and smooth it out. Then it was resprayed black. Cost 160 bucks. Plus and original Honda sticker for 40 bucks and it look good as new. Even got rid of the paint spill marks so was looking better than before

larriken
5th January 2006, 18:12

ooops, I've got a dent too!
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b309/larriken/sat5.jpg

skidMark
5th January 2006, 19:13
or you do the oldest way possible.....

get the household plunger out and do it with that it will pop right out most times others it will get rid of most of it but leave the very middle.

wouldnt believe it unless id seen it myself ;)

juzzer
5th January 2006, 21:23
Fill it with water and stick it in the freezer

skidMark
6th January 2006, 20:13
what the hell let me guess it expands and pops it out or somthing and do ya put the cap on? :D

Vegan
6th January 2006, 20:15
Fill it with water and stick it in the freezer

LOL - are you serious? will the water expanding give enough force to push the dent out? is this a method which gets results? Would it not alter the structural integrity of the rest of the tank? - presuming that equal force is being put on the rest of the tank - possibly putting it out of shape?...

skidMark
6th January 2006, 20:21
then youll have a custom tank :D:devil2: :whistle: