PDA

View Full Version : Brief report on the Britten Memorial Race Meeting

LB
15th March 2004, 05:15
In a nutshell, an absolutely wonderful weekend.

I flew down on Thursday evening, and got out to the track 7.30am Friday morning - a bit cloudy but the weather cleared up nicely. I’d offered to help out, and ended up being Race Secretary (got to talk to all those guys in leather - wow!!! Friday was practice day, hardly any spills though Shaun Harris was one of them.

I caught up with Glenn, who Kickaha was pit crewing for - Glenn was now not racing his TT600.

Friday evening I arranged to meet up with Dangerous for a drink. Mr and Mrs Lemans and Mrs and Mr SuziQ were there too - it was really nice to meet you all. I collected Hamish from the airport around 8.30pm and took him back to introduce him to the other KBers.

Saturday dawned fine again, back out at the track at 7.30am. A major problem when a car hit a powerpole close to the track at 8.30am, cutting all power. No timing system, no PA system, no water, no tyre warmers etc etc etc. We got a big generator in and they fixed the power within about an hour and a half. Another good day’s practice and racing. Kickaha spent some time talking with me (I didn’t see too much racing as I was desk-bound for most of the weekend). I also caught up with KwakaKid, who was learning the track (it’s a long track, and very technical). Also met up with Chic’n Charge. Really nice to meet both of you. KK, I’ll let you give your version of how the racing went for you.

K14 - not sure if you made it out, but because Glenn wasn’t racing, it made it difficult to meet at his pit! Sorry to have missed you if you were there.

Saturday night was early to bed and back to the track by 7.45am Sunday.

Yet another brilliant day on Sunday. A good crowd, some great trade displays, and some excellent racing (I got to see several races this time).

The Superbike races were both won by Andrew Stroud, very fitting considering his links to John Britten. He’s an amazing rider (well, all those top superbike guys are really). Jason McEwen had a big biff in the first Superbike race, but he walked away and the bike was ready for leg 2.

Marcus from Austria arrived at the track in the afternoon, nice to meet you Marcus. Good to see you wearing your KB t-shirt! Sorry you had to get off the wall at the start, it's a safety issue.

All in all a fantastic weekend. I hope it becomes an annual event.

k14
15th March 2004, 07:45
Yeah, it was awesome. Definately the best racing i have ever seen.

Thought i was going insane, tried to look for that guys pit about 3 or 4 times but never could.

Wasn't the first superbike race awesome, stroud is the man.

What number were u kawakid?? 35? I think i saw you on the track. Did u put a nice move up the inside on that bend at the end of the straight about halfway through your first race??

Awesome day, guttered i couldnt meet up with you other guys. Maybe next time.

Kickaha
15th March 2004, 21:22
Yeah he was #35, struggled a bit but dropped a huge 7 sec on Sunday from his times the day before,he was doing well for his first visit

LB
16th March 2004, 04:48
Awesome day, guttered i couldnt meet up with you other guys. Maybe next time.

Really sorry we couldn't meet up K14, next time I'll give you my mobile #.

Kwaka-Kid
16th March 2004, 12:06
ill put my report up when i get a chance guys :) but untill then, umm, not sure if that was me?! yes i was #35 and thanks if it was, i must say i was haing trouble with the track and at the end of it all the only thing i will commend myself on was the hairpin, not for a fast race line, but for a catchup point, the only time i could re-take a position, only to loose it elsewhere... throw it up the inside and brake hard, take it tight and shove the bike in the way of someone elses line, i know its a real mean thing to do and all but its racing and it was the only way i could retake a possie :(

laRIKin
16th March 2004, 17:41
It was good to see who Mrs and Mr Lynda Blair are, and I glad that you had
a great time at the races.
Hopefully you will be down here abit longer next time, and on the bikes.

It was good to see Duckman on the thursday night. And next time spend abit more time here for a ride.
Have you made it home yet?

And to catch up with the rest of the CHCH crew, that I have not seen for awhile.

And sorry not to catch up with Kwaka-Kid, Kickaha and K14.
But I was busy that weekend. Why have all their names have a K at the
start? Have you seen these 3 together? :Pokey:

I know that this is abit late, but there is no rest for the wicked.