PDA

View Full Version : ideal first bike

TraD_MaN
5th January 2006, 21:47
I have been having a debate with my mate who dosent ride or anything and is looking for get a bike and he wants one of these http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=44379606&key=283568 he reckons he wants to get a bike that will last him till his full licence ;)

is that an ideal first bike for newbie?

i thinks hes a bit of a :tugger: and im telling him to get something thats cheap and a good runner untill you get more experience (spelling)

should i just shut up and let him learn or am i wrong? :crazy:

Zed
5th January 2006, 21:52
I have been having a debate with my mate who dosent ride or anything and is looking for get a bike and he wants one of these http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=44379606&key=283568 he reckons he wants to get a bike that will last him till his full licence ;)

i thinks hes a bit of a :tugger: and im telling him to get something thats cheap and a good runner untill you get more experience (spelling)

should i just shut up and let him learn or am i wrong? :crazy:Nah i'd question whether or not it has been in a bin and needed a repaint? Otherwise it'll be a cool 1st bike for the keen learner i reckon! Prolly a bit of a gas guzzler and may need more maintenance than other 'slower' bikes. I'd recommend one of those over a Ginny or 150cc any day as a 1st bike to last until your full! :Punk:

The_Dover
5th January 2006, 21:53
nah **** it man, let him get the rgv.

but buy him some new undies as a a late chrimbo pressie!!

Mr. Peanut
5th January 2006, 21:56
tell him to run away... NOW :2guns:

Get a gn250!!!, you can drop it and itll increase in value ffs!

tell him If he gets an RGV250 "youll never ride it, you'll just end up sitting in a corner crouched in a fetal position, faintly mumbling about the prices of Back tires, fairings, engine rebuilds, powervalves dropping out of their seats, hitting the powerband on wet corners, non availability of parts, fuel consumption...."

My advice, stay away! :rofl:

limbimtimwim
5th January 2006, 22:12
My advice, stay away! :rofl:Says the guy with the NSR?!

A 2 stroke, v twin 250 might be a bit much. My 4 stroke v twin 250 was enough for me.

But then I am not a speed freak, I'm only 'upgrading' to 400..

Sniper
5th January 2006, 22:31
No its a bad first bike.

Holy Roller
5th January 2006, 23:43
If you have had plenty of riding experience then it would be a great bike best stay with a GSX or similar too fast too soon is not a good mix when learning the ropes. Anyway the slower bikes are still plenty fast these days.

deathstar
6th January 2006, 00:23
Holy Roller has made the biggest point there, if he has experience let him at it and then you can always pull the (i told you so) later. I have a ginny and it sorts me perfect i wouldn't say it went up in value when i binned it but she is easy to get parts for being around 20 years and can get where i need to go

Mr. Peanut
6th January 2006, 05:24
Says the guy with the NSR?!

NSR's are pretty reliable, you can get 30,000 out of a top end and 192000 out of a crank. It's not my first bike, and its still restricted to 45hp.

This guy wants to jump on a 70hp RGV250 for his FIRST bike... Id get him on a 30hp 4-stroke and see how he goes, he might find its quick enough...

Anyway, if he does just dont get too attached to your mate :bye: , after all you did warn him :whocares:

Colapop
6th January 2006, 06:04
Too bike much for a guy who hasn't ridden before. He needs to walk before he can run.

Yokai
6th January 2006, 08:29
Red Baron have just imported another SRV250 in Silver and Grey (it's the shiny one)...

As someone still riding their's after a year and flicking it around the Coromandel the other day, it's a fun bike, with lots of room for growth... It's a little short in the saddle for me, but I've got long legs and arms and a short torso (Just call me Cpl. Nobbs)

I highly recommend the SRV as a learner bike. REALLY reliable, a good looker, easy to maintain...

Coyote
6th January 2006, 10:29
This guy wants to jump on a 70hp RGV250 for his FIRST bike... Id get him on a 30hp 4-stroke and see how he goes, he might find its quick enough...

They only have about 55hp at the wheel. A NSR with all the goodies (like a 300cc kit) will go just past 70hp but a RGV with decent pipes and deresricted will only make just over 60hp at the wheel

Check out the dyno sheets on the TYGA site if you don't agree

mattt
6th January 2006, 10:37
Says the guy with the NSR?!

A 2 stroke, v twin 250 might be a bit much. My 4 stroke v twin 250 was enough for me.

But then I am not a speed freak, I'm only 'upgrading' to 400..

Not everyone is a pussy

mattt
6th January 2006, 10:39

should i just shut up and let him learn or am i wrong? :crazy:

Fuck yeh - it'd be a perfect bike to last to your full. If you start on something small and gutless you'll get bored and want to sell it after a month. I started on an fzr400, then moved to a ZX9r after 3 months.

If you have a bit of common sense and don't think you're rossi then you'll be fine.
If you have no self control, then you're not ready to ride!

Good luck to your mate :scooter:

MSTRS
6th January 2006, 10:43
They only have about 55hp at the wheel. A NSR with all the goodies (like a 300cc kit) will go just past 70hp but a RGV with decent pipes and deresricted will only make just over 60hp at the wheel

Check out the dyno sheets on the TYGA site if you don't agree
And you think that a non-rider will be able to tell the difference??? I'd say that anything over 35hp with a strong powerband would be too much for a beginner.

Coyote
6th January 2006, 10:44
As mattt says, so long as you're smart and don't exceed your limits you should be fine. But it might pay to get a cheap run around untill you learn how to ride and how the other road users treat/mistreat you. That RGV is really nice and I wouldn't want to wreck it in some clumsy newbie mistake

Coyote
6th January 2006, 10:48
And you think that a non-rider will be able to tell the difference??? I'd say that anything over 35hp with a strong powerband would be too much for a beginner.
I learnt to ride on a '95 KX80. That bike was from a time when the didn't care about ridability and didn't have powervalves so had the temperment of a bucking bronco, so it was possibly the worst bike for me to learn on. A CBR1000 would've been easier and smoother to learn on :p

But I was sensible and I managed not to hurt myself. I think a smart person could learn on a RGV. Anyone stupid enough to think that that could run away from cops on it shouldn't get one

MSTRS
6th January 2006, 10:59
I learnt to ride on a '95 KX80. That bike was from a time when the didn't care about ridability and didn't have powervalves so had the temperment of a bucking bronco, so it was possibly the worst bike for me to learn on. A CBR1000 would've been easier and smoother to learn on :p

But I was sensible and I managed not to hurt myself. I think a smart person could learn on a RGV. Anyone stupid enough to think that that could run away from cops on it shouldn't get one
I hear ya, but it's all good until a (newbie)mistake is made. The bigger the bike/power, the bigger the consequences of that mistake.

flash
6th January 2006, 13:40
i say dont get it, its too beautiful and rare to have for your first bike. theres only two in the country!!, and only like 7-10 in usa.

MidnightMike
6th January 2006, 13:50
Im with flash, and if it is your first bike i wouldnt get something so fast :wacko:

flash
6th January 2006, 13:54
speed isnt a problem, nether is how its a two smoke, im sick of everyone saying how dangerous twosmokes are, the bike dosnt make you crash so stop blaming it :mad:

quickbuck
6th January 2006, 16:27
Flash is right, Forget buying the antique for a first bike. An RGV will be fine if you are taught properly, but the simple errors a newbie rider makes have the potential to do tousands of dollers worth of damage in a silly instant. Got a mate learning to ride, and "accidently" opened the throttle too far on his ZZR250 on the muddy drive, and was amazed how fast the bike fell over. Made the bike a wreck instantly.

TraD_MaN
6th January 2006, 23:33
oh sweet thanks for those replies. i wouldnt mind one my self its a nice bike! :2thumbsup

yeah hes got no motorbike experience what so ever so yeah...

ill full him in on what you guys have got to say :wavey: