PDA

View Full Version : Wind plus 100kg bike equals concern

Fireproof
6th January 2006, 17:08
Was just wondering if anyone thought the suzuki gsx 250 would be an ok open road bike? I have recently bought a rgv150 but after a couple of trips between Aucks and Hamilton I find the wind buffeting to be a bit nerve racking for a new rider, any ideas?

Wasp
6th January 2006, 17:09
my honda vtz 250 is alright in the wind, only been really scared one time.

but apparently the vtz is a "heavy" bike (dont ask how heavy cos i dont know)

Zapf
6th January 2006, 17:10
riding faster alway helps.

MidnightMike
6th January 2006, 17:11
How much you gt 4 a bike?

sunhuntin
6th January 2006, 17:21
my gn250 holds up alright in winds. i find i just need to relax somewhat and let the bike go where she needs, within reason. i let her go around the lane, but make sure i pull her back into line before she goes too far to either side. the only real way to get used to it is to do it. same as riding in the rain. just make sure your alert and able to focus on your surroundings.

good luck!

Fireproof
6th January 2006, 17:23
Would have to sell my bike to upgrade, maybe round the 3g mark? Anyone own a gsx?

jazbug5
6th January 2006, 17:24
There is sure to be a thread somewhere else about this (Riding Tips?) but, anyway... try dropping down a gear and upping the revs. It helps stabilise things. I used to tuck down, which helped, and if you can do that and relax, it may well make a difference. Scary, though, innit?

flash
6th January 2006, 17:32
midnightmike ask for his rg150

MidnightMike
6th January 2006, 17:34
Post some pics of it fireproof

fishb8nz
6th January 2006, 18:05
Hey Fireproof - It's been as windy as we ever get it, in this area, recently. So, if you've survived, then you'll be ok. Slow down a bit and keep a good eye on your mirrors for anyone getting too close to your "wander" zone.

FlangMasterJ
6th January 2006, 18:08
As said try and relax. The first few rides will be a little nerve racking but you'll soon learn how to counter the wind. One of the best rides I have had was heading out of Wellington city in gale force winds with my brother in the next lane. We were laughing so hard we could hear each other.

Mental Trousers
6th January 2006, 18:31
Just relax and weight the pegs. Let the bike do what it wants to but still going in the direction you want. No good comes from fighting the bike.

The gsx is a bit heavier so it'll handle the wind a bit better.

TonyB
6th January 2006, 18:34
As said above- relax. If your arms are stiff you will transfer all the wind buffeting from your body straight to the 'bars- this will in turn steer the bike.

Having said that some bikes are worse than others. And a light bike will be worse than a heavy one- just like cars really.

avgas
6th January 2006, 19:00
GSX is great.....took one for a blat.....good price too.
If i were in the market for a 250, i would allready have one in the shed

skelstar
6th January 2006, 19:27
Someone correct me if im wrong, but I find if you let the bike move around under you by 'pivoting' at your hips, then things are fine. DONT SLOW DOWN. Keep your speed up and confident. Just wait for the wind to gust, all relaxed like, and move the bike back into line once its finished.

Going through the twisties is a similar method. I fang it as hard as normal and keep my speed/momentum up. Trouble is if youre leaned way over and it gusts hard it can unsettle your bike badly, and you find yourself on the shoulder on the wrong side of the raod....apparently :confused:

Ixion
6th January 2006, 19:45
Nope, you are not wrong. Let the bike wander a bit , you have a whole lane to play with. Relax , don't fight it, drop a gear or two and keep the speed up . The last is what beginners always do wrong, they get scard and slow down. A bike is more stable the faster it goes. Main thing is to remember to watch out for gusts when you turn a curve, or move out of shelter into a more exposed bit of road. But in 35 years I've only heard of one rider coming to grief because of being wind blown , who DIDN'T slow down and jam on the brakes. (and that was our own dear Ms Str8jacket)

sunhuntin
6th January 2006, 19:46
skel, thats kinda what i do. let the bike glide, and then pull it back with a quick twitch of my hips. same when a truck goes past. i guide the bike when its safe to, but when its windy, shes in charge to a certain point.

Mental Trousers
6th January 2006, 20:25
One other thing, if you weight the pegs more in the wind the bike won't tilt as far or as quickly. You still want the bike to move around, but you can lessen how much it does so by standing on your pegs.

Zapf
7th January 2006, 00:32
I find that the wind usually blows the rider around more than the bike... so... makes sure you are not tight... flex with the wind and don't translate the buffering to the bike.... helps better control too...

and don't rely on the wind as a compoent of your cornering... because it can stop / increase any moment, be ready to take over.