PDA

View Full Version : Omarama Pass ride.

oldrider
6th January 2006, 21:06
Thought I would try posting a ride report and add some pics.

I was around at my son in laws twin brothers looking at his new bike.

(Moto Guzzi 1100 sports just brought it back from Auckland)

The lads were getting ready to go for a ride over the Omarama Pass to St Bathans.

Haw haw are you coming for a ride grandad? I hear from amidst the throng.

My daughter was going too and said why don't you come with us?

In light of my recent experience with young ones up at the tracks, I thought why not?

I said I will go and get my bike and meet you at the gate to the Pass road at Omarama. See you there.

The pics posted are,(or should be)

1) The gate on the road to the pass.
2) The view back to the gate.
3) Daughter spots Dad with camera.
4) View from top towards St Bathans.
5) The boys and Grandad.
6) Lunch at the Vulcan hotel (St Bathans)

60kms from Omarama to St Bathans. I enjoyed every minute of it, the creeks weren't too bad considering the recent rain.

The T/A is too high geared for real off road but that was a nice easy ride apart from the rough stuff from last winters wash outs.

I managed to lay the bike on it's side in a creek bed (dry) when I lost my footing and couldn't hold it up, no damage. Kids thought it was funny so did I.

I rode home via Alexandra, Cromwell, (for a Pie) Lindis Pass and Omarama and got home just before they got back over the pass. (280kms all up)

A couple of them ran out of petrol and caused a delay apparently.

A really nice ride, fun to be with the kids, they were great. The ride back round the road on my own was to get some more mileage out of my front tyre before it gets changed on Monday.

I am off to wellington next Thursday, so cleaned the bike today and checked it over today. New front tyre and chain adjustments Monday and I'm ready to go.

I hope this ride report is interesting to at least some of you. Cheers John.

miSTa
6th January 2006, 21:31
Great photos there John, sounds like a good trip.

Motu
6th January 2006, 21:39
Like....do we live in the same country??? Wow,wide open spaces.Excelent photos,and congradulations on a sucessful attachment.

I've never seen a black Transalp before...is that a stock colour? Did you copy Mike Hailwood's leathers for the colour? You don't see black leathers much these days,it's just not proper y'know!

wari
6th January 2006, 21:50
LOoks like y ahadda corr-ker time .. :woohoo:

SHow da young-guns up did ya ? .. :sherlock:

oldrider
7th January 2006, 21:06
Just had this pic of one of the many creek crossings sent to me so thought I'd post it.
Quite deep just to my right on that one, the little quad nearly lost it in there. Cheers john.

TonyB
8th January 2006, 07:14
Great pics John..... I gotta get me a dirt bike... hmm, perhaps a KTM or Husky.... then I can race it in bears, F3, motard bla bla bla

clint640
10th January 2006, 11:07
Great stuff! Is that track public access or a farm? We're heading down your way next month & I'm on the lookout for interesting roads.

Cheers
Clint

oldrider
10th January 2006, 15:29
Great stuff! Is that track public access or a farm? We're heading down your way next month & I'm on the lookout for interesting roads.

Cheers
Clint
Hi Clint, they are through private property and purely at the whim of the owners. Some people (not necessarily bikers) have ruffled their feathers plus the labour governments land access plans have not helped relations lately.
I could supply you with the details if you want to contact the landowners.
PM me but do it tonight, I might be off up north tomorrow if I can change my ferry bookings. One of the people I was going up to see this w/end has died and the funeral is on Thursday. ( the day I was going up). Cheers John.

Rashika
10th January 2006, 15:34
Hi Clint, they are through private property and purely at the whim of the owners. Some people (not necessarily bikers) have ruffled their feathers plus the labour governments land access plans have not helped relations lately.
I could supply you with the details if you want to contact the landowners.
PM me but do it tonight, I might be off up north tomorrow if I can change my ferry bookings. One of the people I was going up to see this w/end has died and the funeral is on Thursday. ( the day I was going up). Cheers John.
Sorry to hear about your friend John :(
But I must say the ride looked great...and that pick of you going thru the river is pretty good! Dont think I will try that on the buell tho :eek5:

Kickaha
10th January 2006, 17:59
Sorry to hear about your friend John :(
But I must say the ride looked great...and that pick of you going thru the river is pretty good! Dont think I will try that on the buell tho :eek5:

Softy, if the XJ was going I would take you out around Lees Valley, nice easy ride on a road bike,hardly any rivers to cross :yes: