PDA

View Full Version : My Sky and Sky Digital Rant&Compare

StoneChucker
7th January 2006, 14:23
Caution, rant for tv lovers only!

Sky digital, with a full package (Standard + Sport, Movies,etc...) seems to have run out of content to screen. Everything is repeated, constantly. For channels like Sky1 - Nat Geo - Discovery - Animal Pl - History - Movies 1,2,MGM - UKTV - etc... they run like a segment/list of programs which get repeated approx. after 6 or 12 or xx hours.

They now have My Sky, a decoder which lets you record 2 channels simultaneously, or record 1 and watch another. Also features like pause live tv or go back x mins if you miss the start (through a constant record/buffer system), and other extensive recording/playback functions (record all programs of a certain name/type). You've seen the adds on sky, with that "Bert Badger" guy.

What is the point though, if you miss a program who cares, it repeats a few hours later.

I think slowly but surely, mankind is running out of movie, series, reality tv, documentary and information content. Maybe thats why every couple of thousand/million years there is an extinction level event, that wipes the slate clean, so once life has evolved / big banged (depending on what you believe) to a level sufficient enough to invent tv, they can re-think up content that is "new" and exciting:corn:

PS: I am not responsible/liable for any drivel I post. I am now officially cabin fevered, bored and unstimulated enough to qualify as insane.:woohoo:

Dude... get a webcam setup in all your rooms in the house... bingo! new TV channel.

myvice
7th January 2006, 14:31
Don’t have Sky, and now I probably never will.
I don’t watch the 3 channels I can pick up so why would I pay for more?

Colapop
7th January 2006, 14:31
I agree totally I can't see the point of locking the doors and just watching TV forever again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and ad nauseum..... The ironic thing is that the censors are becoming desensitised to the crap that they're watching so 'reality' shows etc are considered ok to watch.
The lack of quality programming comes from a desire to sanitise our viewing content and a general lack of imagination. ie. Peter Jackson made some bloody good movies before riches and fame and now ... I wasn't too impressed with 2 1/2 hours of 'special' effects.

Pixie
7th January 2006, 14:37
I think slowly but surely, mankind is running out of movie, series, reality tv, documentary and information content. Maybe thats why every couple of thousand/million years there is an extinction level event, that wipes the slate clean, so once life has evolved / big banged (depending on what you believe) to a level sufficient enough to invent tv, they can re-think up content that is "new" and exciting:corn:

PS: I am not responsible/liable for any drivel I post. I am now officially cabin fevered, bored and unstimulated enough to qualify as insane.:woohoo:
Flashback to 65 million years ago:
A reptilian Stonechucker voices the same rant to his mates.
In the background a medium sized meteor enters the earth's atmosphere.

crashe
7th January 2006, 14:38
Hi Stonechucker...... good to see you on here again...

Going stircrazy watching tv huh.. tis a buggar that aye.

Well I suppose I could say back to you that you are damned lucky to have any type of Sky channels to watch...
I am stuck with TV1, TV1, TV3, C4, Prime, Triangle, Juice and occassionally track (horse and dog racing)
Prime - is all staticeeee and friggen hard to see it..
C4 - is for the young ones and its funny music.
Juice - well I totally forget its even there and it way out music.

So I mostly get to see TV1, 2 and 3....

Now I just wish that I could afford to have Sky....... one day...........!

I suppose now with the new Sky stuff you can now record a movie and watch something else... before you didnt get that option.

But you have a good point and it was a damned fine rant too...

deathstar
7th January 2006, 16:17
try not getting UHF me and weasel only have 1,2,3 and 4 and half the time it is american crap that americans don't even want to watch

Swoop
7th January 2006, 18:01
As I have said to the telemarketers who call at this time of the year...
I would get sky IF there was a prepay card system like on cellphones!
Something I want to watch = put the card in and view for a fee.

Otherwise they can shove it...:motu:

When we had it back in the UK I used to just chuck it on MTV or MTV Base / The Box / whatever...

pretty much just music videos really...

Although the biography channel can be interesting sometimes... and Sci Fi is cool as well...

Suney
7th January 2006, 18:11
I think I've seen all the E! true holly wood stories and E! 101 best moments like 20 times now...

Hoon
7th January 2006, 20:54
What is the point though, if you miss a program who cares, it repeats a few hours later.

The idea is that you can watch TV whenever you want and see only programs you want to see.

About 75% of TV I watch is pre-recorded - mainly torrent stuff via my xbox. This means I can adjust my TV viewing to suit my busy lifestyle, not the other way around. SKY might repeat a lot of its content but somehow I still manage to miss a lot of the programs I want to watch so I can see the attraction of being able to sit down in front of the TV anytime and being able to flick back over the last weeks worth of programs that interest you.

Still I wouldn't get one - the MySky PVR is nothing more than a poor mans Tivo player (http://www.nztivo.net/index.php/NZTivo:Intro).

gav
7th January 2006, 21:07
Its been all down hill since Sky dropped the Fashion Channel.......
What would be cool is if they had a library of say at least 500 movies and you could just dial up the one you want to watch!
Yeah, guys in the States seem to rate the Tivo setup!

That fashion channel!!

Remember I once caught a paris lingere (sp?) show... that was worth the monthly fee all by itself ;)

Brian d marge
7th January 2006, 21:25
get tellescum to provide a decent connection ( t1 ) and uncapped , then for a 1/4 of the price u can watch ANYTHING you want ....I watch anything from the rise and fall of the SS , to reruns of blackadder ...theres even a 24/7 Monty Python channel
Mind u
You have to pay for the sports channel 24 us for an all access pass :Playnice:
( mind you its super moto and MX !!!)

The sooner they get real with the internet in NZ the sooner the baskets that control my pacifier will have to buck their ideas up

Of now as ACDC with Bonn scott is just on the music channel !

Stephen

TraD_MaN
7th January 2006, 21:27
o yes the fashion channel! that was the best channel ever :banana: :2thumbsup

Skyryder
8th January 2006, 10:05
I have come to the conclusion that Pay Television is the biggest con since the Serpent tempted Eve and we are born in sin as a result.

Skyryder