PDA

View Full Version : Rolling burnouts

FzerozeroT
15th March 2004, 15:32
I'm having problems trying to keep them going, If I start in first gear then I am going so slow that the bike starts to weave very easily, and if I sart in second gear after a few seconds the rear gets some traction and pulls a wheelie/throw manouvre.

any hints?

k14
15th March 2004, 15:34
Im surprised that you can even do them on a 150.

I have done a few but only on grass, i havent tried on the road but i would assume it is pretty hard for a 600cc or less.

Just throw the front brake on and do it that way.

White trash
15th March 2004, 15:46
I'm having problems trying to keep them going, If I start in first gear then I am going so slow that the bike starts to weave very easily, and if I sart in second gear after a few seconds the rear gets some traction and pulls a wheelie/throw manouvre.

any hints?

Get it spinning real fast. Be standing on the pegs with most of your weight over the front, knees bent.

Oh yeah, be prepared to replace a few clutch plates doin' them on a one fiddy!
;)

FzerozeroT
15th March 2004, 16:00
all you need to do is be travelling about 1/2 revs, clutch, front brake, revs to 10 or so, dump clutch and work the brake.

easy peasy ;)

FzerozeroT
15th March 2004, 16:02
just back is either twisting like a pig, first gear.
or front leaves ground while back is twisting like a pig, second gear :D must be fun to watch tho

wkid_one
15th March 2004, 16:04
Helps if you move your weight well forward as well

Nouseforaname
15th March 2004, 16:17
do them going up hill, with the front brakes on nice and hard... while getting ya weight forward, i do them on my steep road and it works sweet. the rear wheel will have less weight placed on it and spins up nice and easy.

wkid_one
15th March 2004, 16:20
Practice them in the wet - that's what I did - it is easier than learning in the dry. then just apply the same logic in the dry.

Wenier
15th March 2004, 17:50
how fast does ur bike go in first. i find my 250 is fine doin them in first riding along did one today outside daytona in palmy since i went for a ride up there and did some go karting. and they have compulsary burnouts when leaving so... :)

DEATH_INC.
15th March 2004, 19:47
Get it spinning real fast. Be standing on the pegs with most of your weight over the front, knees bent.
;)

Yep,this is what I do.Get her going fast with plenty of rpm's :devil2:

speedpro
15th March 2004, 21:18
Used to do this at the drags on the GSX1100 and the Moriwaki Z1. Put it in 2nd, stand up well forward with weight on the bars, big handfull of revs and dump the clutch. Move the back around so it doesn't melt a hole in the seal, then bum onto seat & feet on pegs. Depending on track you can move forward or back to control how it hooks up. At Thunderpark you had to be way forward to stop the rear gripping too soon. This technique was good for about 100ft smoky burnouts or more if you feathered the front brake. Could be a bit more difficult with todays lighter bikes and stickier tyres, though with the Z stripped down it wasn't too bad and I always ran the softest tyres available and the tracks were pretty sticky(not always the case at Meremere)

Slingshot
16th March 2004, 07:38
Dumb question time....Why would you want to burn good/expensive rubber?

jrandom
16th March 2004, 07:57

coz it's fun, dude... sheeeeesh... sport tyres only last a few months anyway, plenty of opportunity to shred them before each new set is fitted.

The burnout in my avatar photo I only did because I was replacing the tyres later that day, anyway.

FzerozeroT
16th March 2004, 09:03

I have another post going about how crap these tires are and need some new ones.
But anyway, a rear is only $90 for one the same and it's quite a hard compound. Have done a few small burnouts and no flat spot yet!

MD
16th March 2004, 15:11
But anyway, a rear is only $90 for one the same and it's quite a hard compound. Have done a few small burnouts and no flat spot yet!

$90 bucks a tyre. You lucky lucky b#@*tard as Monty Python would say.
I've paid from $320 to $450 a rear. Life and limb depend on that there tyre holdin on. Every millimetre of rubber is precious to me (now I'm quoting from Gollum) so burn outs are out of the question
MD

wkid_one
16th March 2004, 15:58
now don't quote me on this - but don't you also run the risk of overheating the tyre and degrading its gripability (if you know what this means - then it is a word!)

White trash
16th March 2004, 16:07
Is what happens when a tyre seriously over heats is the oil (which tyres are now mostly made of!) comes to the surface and yess, lessens the "gripability". It also wears a nasty flat bit on top of the tyre and will make your bike "tram line" like a bitch.

So, if you only do burnouts on tyres you don't want to use again, you should be sweet.

speedpro
16th March 2004, 21:05
There's an optimum temp to operate a tyre at for max adhesion. At the drags the idea is to warm it up and the rolling burnout also seemed to give it a better texture or something. It stuck better than if you just sat still and spun it up.
I suppose you could fit tyre warmers but it's more fun doin' burnouts, unless you fall on your head in front of the crowd, eh Doug?
As for doing it on the road I've never figured why anyone would do that, it doesn't take a great amount of skill so doesn't demonstrate anything that I would want to be demonstrating to anybody.

Two Smoker
16th March 2004, 21:56
Why don't you concentrate more on stoppies and wheelies :niceone:

FzerozeroT
17th March 2004, 07:18
I would love to find a rear that cost decent money, it might actually be a decent tire!

The main reason that I want to do rolling burnouts on this bike is for the comments that were made earlier, "I didn't think you would be able to on a 150", IMO you can do burnouts on anything, I have on lawnmowers, forklifts, radio controlled car, nifty fifty etc.

and a stationary burnoutis easy, or a feet down. i want an on the pegs 20-30kph one, not a huge one, just a nice smooth one (that is skill not a fluke)

i suppose it goes back to the 'good riders' forum. i want to be able to do any reasonabe manouvre on my bike to a high standard :niceone:

White trash
17th March 2004, 07:30
I would love to find a rear that cost decent money, it might actually be a decent tire!

The main reason that I want to do rolling burnouts on this bike is for the comments that were made earlier, "I didn't think you would be able to on a 150", IMO you can do burnouts on anything, I have on lawnmowers, forklifts, radio controlled car, nifty fifty etc.

and a stationary burnoutis easy, or a feet down. i want an on the pegs 20-30kph one, not a huge one, just a nice smooth one (that is skill not a fluke)

i suppose it goes back to the 'good riders' forum. i want to be able to do any reasonabe manouvre on my bike to a high standard :niceone:

Good man! And that is what improving riding skills is all about
:niceone:

I want to find a ratty 600 Bandit or GSXR to practice circle wheelies for exactly the same reason :blah:

Wenier
17th March 2004, 12:08
yea i want to learn now on me 250 b4 i get a 600 so i dont go dropping the 600. and it is quite impressive when u do a ride around burnout infront of everyone. Nice to see that ur heading in that direction white trash :)