PDA

View Full Version : NEED a battery on a 2 stroke?

thealmightytaco
8th January 2006, 09:01
Got this clapped out old GP125 that wont go, it has more compression than my NSR, the plug is wet with fuel, and with the plug out and against the head it gives plenty of spark. But it still wont go. All this is without a battery though.

Is there some trick they've put in such that the spark is out of time if there's no battery in? Or should it be going and it's all just a great big 2-stroke demon piss off I can't be bothered with?

The NSR was so nice to me.

Kickaha
8th January 2006, 09:04
If you've got spark then you don't need a battery, have you ever had it running?

thealmightytaco
8th January 2006, 09:13
Na, got it off trademe a little while back, hasn't gone for 5 years. Which I found was probably because they put a long reach plug in it, and as soon as you turned it over the piston hammered the plug gap closed. Not excited about that, but got the right plug in there now, here's hoping the piston doesn't have too big a crater in it.

Just reading some things on the net though, wet fouling sounds like it.

Sketchy_Racer
8th January 2006, 09:18
yes, leave the plug out and let the engine dry out. Then clean your plug then get it really really hot (gas stove works good) it should be good as new ;)

MSTRS
8th January 2006, 09:26
Could be a number of things making it foul. I suggest you remove the airbox/filter and run open throat. Jet/needle could be flogged - standard jet probably about 100-110 size, they are only about $10. Try disconnecting the oilpump & go pre-mix (around 30:1 or maybe 40:1 if you are not going to give it the 'learn').