PDA

View Full Version : Honda cbr750 Hurricane

wari
16th March 2004, 04:33
Seeing as how I have just sold her ... cant believe I sold something instead of give it away or keep it in the shed.

Sold it cheap mind ... bargain basement prices. :moon:

Anyway:

Handling, layout etc.,:

Very easy bike to ride. No surprises , smooth for touring or city commuting. I used it every day and it was just totally reliable and predictable and went where you pointed her. Could be a tad soft in the rear for the lardarse amongst us or two up, but otherwise a comfy ride. Having said that I had Brockhause and his pack(packed to the gunnells) my pack two tank bags and me squeezed onto the saddle (and I mean squeezed!!!) and the cbr was still pretty stable and felt safe ( eh marcus?)...(I didn't say I was safe!!).

Pegs and controls were in all the right places and the riding postion was relaxed and meant long stints on the road weren't a problem , after 6 or 7 hours though ones arse can get a little red see ...:moon:

The gauges are easy to read and the fuel gauge was a bonus.

Performance:

Not an outright speedball , but fast enough on the pickup to pass cars in the blink of an eye and keep them back there where they belong, even loaded up with gear.

The gearbox was reasonably smooth apart from the usual clunk into 1st first thing on a cold morning. It paid to be rather deliberate going up into 2nd or neutral could be found instead. Clutchless upshifts were no problem too.

Brakes were great and didn't require a lot of effort to haul the 200kg (dry) weight up ... had the front wheel locked up on more than one occassion and managed to keep upright ok. Others have commented on the efficiency of the brakes, so not my imagination.

Consumables:

The CBR has a 21 litre tank with 3 litres or so in reserve. I could get up to 300kms riding nicely before having to switch or refuel. Loaded up with heavy gear or pillion or pushing the bike hard would see that drop to around 250 - 270 depending ...

Tyres ... 3 fronts in two years and 2 rears ... and I do around 15,000k's per year probably.

Problems:

A broken wire on the ignition.

Vacuum fuel tap leaked at one point.

Overall Impression

The bike seems to be pretty well put together with most components being of good quality. I sold the bike at around 90k and my mechanic said the motor still seemed to be in pretty mint condition. In his opinion these bikes have bullet proof engines gearboxes and clutches and I cant prove him otherwise.

Many people have asked me if the bike was brand new and this was even after i had to remove the fairings due to being run over by a girl who doesn't believe you have to look where you are going or give way to the the right (the judge didnt agree with her). I wont mention they wre carrying white canes.

The biggest problem with these is that they were only made for two years 1987 and 1988 and were never intended for our market, therefore some parts can be hard to find. BobSilverSpares (http://bobsilverspares.co.uk) can usually get you what you want cheaper than the local companies can/will.

Some parts are interchangable with the cbr1000.

All in all a bloody good bike. :not:

Bonez
10th March 2008, 18:19
BobSilverSpares (http://bobsilverspares.co.uk) can usually get you what you want cheaper than the local companies can/will.
Don't you mean davidsilverspares.co.uk

Mental Trousers
10th March 2008, 18:22
Read the date. It was a thread dredge that pushed this onto the New Posts page, one which was summarily despatched to the correct place - PD.