PDA

View Full Version : Whangarei : Bike shops to get bikes tested?

Rocket
16th March 2004, 08:19
Anyone know of a good bike shop to take a bike to to get it tested? Thinking about possibly buying a bike but need it to be checked over, as you do.

:2thumbsup Thx! :D

Sharkey
16th March 2004, 10:17
I got completely nailed by the Kawasaki dealer up there - Shaw Motorcycles. Took my bike in just after I'd bought it and asked them to do a bit of a service - change the oil etc. Asked them what they thought it would cost, and the guy said $200-300, which was fine. If there was anything major he'd give me a call. Took them a full week, despite my booking it in, and they charged me $900. It was all justifiable - chain, sprockets, plugs etc, but pissed me off no end. I mean the bike was a bit munted, as all first bikes should be, and yet they put $40, gold plated spark plugs in it!

The bike had the wrong sized tyre fitted when I bought it, but it wasn't a big problem. However riding between Whangarei and Auckland, I filled the tank at Wellsford and realised that the tyre was now rubbing on the frame because of the new shorter chain. So I putted down to Takapuna, fitted a new tyre, and when I was back up in Whangarei went in and saw them. The mechanic said that he had noticed that the tyre was wrong, and yet he hadn't compensated for it!! They refused to pay for the tyre, claiming that it was half worn (3 months learner rider use - half worn?!?), and as such offered me $100. I accepted it, but felt as though the whole episode was a big have. They saw the L-plate on the bike and thought they'd have a go.

Anyway, to summarise, don't go to Shaw Motorcycles.

aff-man
16th March 2004, 10:20
the guys at MT eden said that if i brought a new bike over they would give it a once over, but if i wanted a good test it would be between 50 and $100. But go talk to them they are pretty good

Rocket
16th March 2004, 11:18
didnt realise there was a new suburb in whangarei named Mt Eden? :bleh:

:banana:

aff-man
16th March 2004, 11:35
Well the ride from whangarei to auckland will be the test and the shop can verify what you have found wrong aye :moon:

merv
16th March 2004, 11:37
didnt realise there was a new suburb in whangarei named Mt Eden? :bleh:

:banana:

The way the urban sprawl is heading North won't be long and it will be all the same eh! Auckland Whangarei and just fancy houses in between.

Rocket
16th March 2004, 12:01
The way the urban sprawl is heading North won't be long and it will be all the same eh! Auckland Whangarei and just fancy houses in between.

Yep, Whangerei will be a suburb of auckland in no time, then we shall take over the world! hehe ( pinky and the brain :P )

but back to bike shops, had some info on a shop to avoid what about a good referal.

And your dreaming if my first ride will be from whangarei to auckland mate lol.

georgedubyabush
16th March 2004, 14:51
pm'd you Rocket.
Shaws do good work but yes you pay for it. $700 for clutch replace and valve adjustment for me. 70 something bucks for oil and filter to take home and do myself.

Holy Roller
16th March 2004, 19:57
pm'd you Rocket.
Shaws do good work but yes you pay for it. $700 for clutch replace and valve adjustment for me. 70 something bucks for oil and filter to take home and do myself.
Just has my clutch done at Tony Rees in Whakatane $360 and that included a new clutch cable, the parts had to be shipped in from Japan. Great service :not:

Antallica
16th March 2004, 20:18
Personally I think all the bike shops here in Whangarei suck, but Shaws have the nice people. However I goto Moto-One as they are the Suzuki dealer. They suck but it's acceptable.

DEATH_INC.
27th March 2004, 08:20
I always had good service from shaws,but that was a few years ago.....
Though John gave us a really good deal on a Gixx1100 we bought a few months ago.....
Never dealt with moto-one,Brett worked for shaws still when I lived up there,but he was always a good bloke and I'd like to think any shop he owned reflected this....
I can vouch for Mt edens thouroughness(?) they looked at my 12 when I was selling it and john picked up a couple of things that I hadn't noticed....

Antallica
5th April 2004, 11:59
What's the bike? Got it yet?

I'd ride with ya to Aucks ;)

Rocket
5th April 2004, 16:20
iv looked at a few but nothing that i want yet. going to look at a CBR250RR 1991 soonish thou :>

georgedubyabush
5th April 2004, 23:02
Have you thought any more on mine? I've ordered new tyres now and am about to start proactively advertising it.

Ghost Lemur
5th April 2004, 23:16
Have you thought any more on mine? I've ordered new tyres now and am about to start proactively advertising it.

Nice bike. What sort of price range are you looking at for it?

Rocket
6th April 2004, 12:47

My budget is capped at around 3 grand. i think your asking a bit much excluding the tyres in my opinion. if you wanna be NEG on your price at all let me know other wise i dont wanna waste your time. I had a friendcheck out a 89CBR250R in wellington but the guy basically told me he was gunna hold out and rip someone off for 2 grand. this 1991 CBR250RR is advertised for $3200 and i think it could be me, he will take 3 grand. theres no way id drop 3 grand on a 1989 bike, its just too old. you cant even get finance on 1989 only 1990 upwards.

Antallica
6th April 2004, 13:08
I heard those green 'Kawa's are cursed :bleh:

georgedubyabush
7th April 2004, 11:09
My budget is capped at around 3 grand. i think your asking a bit much excluding the tyres in my opinion. if you wanna be NEG on your price at all let me know other wise i dont wanna waste your time. I had a friendcheck out a 89CBR250R in wellington but the guy basically told me he was gunna hold out and rip someone off for 2 grand. this 1991 CBR250RR is advertised for $3200 and i think it could be me, he will take 3 grand. theres no way id drop 3 grand on a 1989 bike, its just too old. you cant even get finance on 1989 only 1990 upwards.

I guess I go for condition over age.
Especially since it's the same bike give or take from 89 through. A heap of newer bikes dont even have USD forks.

I'll chuck it on trademe at 3 reserve with new BT92s and see what happens.
I have a pretty strict time limit so if you still cant find anything in a couple of weeks I'd be pretty much open to offers if it's still here.

Well Ant, I suppose sometimes being so good looking and coveted can be a curse. You should've come on the Honda 'cruise' to Russell on Saturday. You would've given the Harleys someone to dice with. :yeah:

Antallica
7th April 2004, 11:26
Had no idea, let me know next time you're going out on something.

But sadly my carb is playing up and I don't trust those tossers here to fix it neither myself. I'd better not touch it ;)

ugh :whistle:

georgedubyabush
7th April 2004, 21:52
Was in the advocate. "Cruise to Russell" in the entertainment section. About 30 bikes. Was more of a race and less of a cruise once we hit the Oakura turnoff. One speed 4 came to grief.

Antallica
21st July 2004, 21:42
Did you ever get a bike Rocket?

Chris Jennings
10th August 2009, 20:07
I take my SV to Holeshot. I've dealt with all the Whangarei shops, was getting used to Maunder but they closed. All the shops are OK but I am loyal to Holeshot. They have always treated me well. Thanks to Steve and Rob..
Jets

nallac
11th August 2009, 17:39
Good Dredge ...and welcome to KB...

george formby
13th August 2009, 13:37
If your road testing a bike you could do worse than ride north to Kerikeri, about 45mins / 1 hour & pop into Town & Country Motorcycles. 09 407 3382. Good, honest guys & Patrick is an ex racer.