PDA

View Full Version : Cheap tyres are more fun than sport compounds

Mr. Peanut
9th January 2006, 17:15
Tyre choice doesn't matter on the road - what are you trying to prove? Any tyre can go fast in a straight line and you'll have just as much fun trying to keep it together on a crap tyre as you would with a supersport compound.

Example, on my SJ125 scooter, I had crappy chinese tyres. I managed to wear them about 1 cm from the edges, learnt how to take a really good line not use brakes in a corner and use the roads camber ... and destroying the rear in 7000km! (on a 12hp on tap 125kg scooter)!!! :Oops:

On my NSR250 I had a Diablo Sport compound, it was great, stuck really well never went loose, heaps of corner speed... But what if I had hit some gravel/oil? :eek5: These are public roads remember, (theres no flag marshals to warn you is there?) A super sticky compound is gonna lose grip- slide and as soon as it hits clean tarmac :sweatdrop BAM!!!! highside!

But lets say I was using less grippy compounds and keeping to a sensible corner speed - when the tyre regain its grip it would not do so as violently and I would have been given more time to react to the different road surface in the first place because of my lower corner speed. Not to mention the greater control over the slide I would have because of my less severe lean angle. :hitcher:

Also unless you're going to be putting your knee down every second corner super sport tyres have a nasty habit of developing flat spots, and when the tyre is unsafe, who is more happy to replace it? The guy with a $160 tyre lasting 7000km or the guy who 'needs' :tugger: his $350 4000km super sport compound?

I have Shinko's on my NSR250 now, and I think they're great - I dont need all that grip on the road and where it would be sensible to travel fast on super sport tyres im quite happy to slide a bit.

I say, get a naked bike, crash knobs and learn how to drift
Keep super sport tyres for track days!

Marmoot
9th January 2006, 17:41
Also unless you're going to be putting your knee down every second corner super sport tyres have a nasty habit of developing flat spots, and when the tyre is unsafe, who is more happy to replace it? The guy with a $160 tyre lasting 7000km or the guy who 'needs' :tugger: his $350 4000km super sport compound?

You should look at my last BT012 front... I'd rather go :tugger:

Jackrat
9th January 2006, 18:34
I have a little more than 12 HP on both my bikes thanks.
I found out about crap tyres during the early 70's and can live without them.
I can spin both my bikes up on good tyres so why used shit.
On gravel I just give it more gas so what's the big deal there?
I know exactly how both my bikes are going to react when they lose traction,it happens every time I ride.
YOUR JUST NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH,PUT SOME MORE EFFORT INTO IT.
Oh yeah nice troll:tugger:

froggyfrenchman
9th January 2006, 18:42
I have a little more than 12 HP on both my bikes thanks.
I found out about crap tyres during the early 70's and can live without them.
I can spin both my bikes up on good tyres so why used shit.
On gravel I just give it more gas so what's the big deal there?
I know exactly how both my bikes are going to react when they lose traction,it happens every time I ride.
YOUR JUST NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH,PUT SOME MORE EFFORT INTO IT.
Oh yeah nice troll:tugger:

Well put, if you can ride... you dont need shit tyres to loose traction and slide! Just wait till one of your $80 tyres causes you to drop the bike, your opinion will change prety fast. When riding, there are two little strips of rubber bout an inch and a half wide holding you onto the road. Make sure that small bit of rubber has good grip!

Two Smoker
9th January 2006, 18:52
This must be a troll, because what i have just read is a load of shit... And I think i have a bit more knowledge and the use of tyres than you...

justsomeguy
9th January 2006, 19:04
So you own the local Shinko tyre dealership??

Motu
9th January 2006, 19:16
I don't think many riders would be happy with the tyres I use on the road,especialy in the wet.But I know my tyres and what they can and can't do...and if that makes me slow on the road,so be it.

Mr. Peanut
9th January 2006, 21:20
Ok, ok I see your point - and a highsid in that sort of situation is pretty unlikely- and if I was perfectly honest I wouldn't want to use these on a litre bike (or even a 600cc) But the handling characteristics I have described most certainly have been true for my bike.

And my point wasn't that I couldn't slide it, just that you can't predict what sort of road surfaces you're going to come across - How many times have you seen a big chunk of dirt littered on the road after a decent downpour? A less grippy tyre compound encourages more responsible riding, It doesnt matter how grippy your tyre is, what difference does it make when you lowside your bike on cowshit cause you had nothing left?

So I shit stirred a bit - isn't that what threads are for?

BTW descibe the term "troll" ?

Mr. Peanut
9th January 2006, 21:30
I know exactly how both my bikes are going to react when they lose traction,it happens every time I ride. YOUR JUST NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH,PUT SOME MORE EFFORT INTO IT.

My point exactly... :blink: Is this really a responsible attitude? :nono:

Hoon
9th January 2006, 21:51
BTW descibe the term "troll" ?

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll#Attention-seeking_trolls).

Intentionally posting an outrageous argument, deliberately constructed around a fundamental but obfuscated flaw or error. Often the poster will become defensive when the argument is refuted, but may instead continue the thread through the use of further flawed arguments; this is referred to as "feeding" the troll.

Ixion
9th January 2006, 21:58
In my misspent youth I spent a lot of time careering around sealed roads on bikes with off road knobblies fitted (cos the sealed roads led to the unsealed ones).

Now, I don't really give a stuff about tyres. You adjust your riding to what you've got. If the tyre doesn't have so much grip, just slow down a bit (radical concept I know).

Only thing I don't like on tyres is ones that don't grip in the wet under braking. I agree with Mr Peanut

N4CR
9th January 2006, 22:05
I had a discussion about this last night with Superdave. I think by using crappier tyres I have learnt more on my bike than if I would not have. It is easier to slide the arse out on these (Mt Edens generic protech sp-10) so you have to learn throttle control, lean angle/speed etc etc or else your arse is on the deck. The tyres themselves are very hard, you cannot make an indentation into them with your fingernail no matter how hard you try.

In a good way this keeps me from attaining more rediculous speeds but the downside is the whole 'crappiness' of the tyre. They are bad in the wet (terrible actually) and if the road is not perfect (read newly sealed ashphalt) then stuff gets tricky. I have got off the edge of the tyres many many times, they slide like hell then (no duuh..). One thing that suprises me is that I have never lost the front under heavy breaking in downhill twisties while going hard. Stoppies are hard as lockups are easy with these tyres though.

These tyres have copped over 16,000kms of abuse. They wouldn't pass a wof in their current state but they will be getting replaced soon. I will probably change my opinion then.

Zapf
9th January 2006, 22:47
A less grippy tyre compound encourages more responsible riding,

Use your head.... Mr Peanut

Monsterbishi
9th January 2006, 23:25
So the sum and total of this theory is that it's better to have a crap plastic tyre that limits you to a a narrower band of your own ability?

That's gay, I'll keep my sticky rubber thanks.

marty
10th January 2006, 03:19
i'll keep my sticky rubber thanks. it's my $300, i'll spend it how i want, whenever i want, and personally i'd rather spend it on rubber than fixing my fairings, or new undies.

Posh Tourer :P
10th January 2006, 03:55
So the sum and total of this theory is that it's better to have a crap plastic tyre that limits you to a a narrower band of your own ability?

That's gay, I'll keep my sticky rubber thanks.

err, no it limits you to a narrower band of your bike's ability. The whole point is that you get better at hadling a squirming bike, at lower speeds. Unless you judge ability by speed of course. In which case, get a Nos'd Busa..... (with sticky tyres)

Sniper
10th January 2006, 06:54
So you base your riding around the capability of your tyres?

Softcock :devil2:

PT

Marmoot
10th January 2006, 09:51
So you base your riding around the capability of your tyres?

Softcock :devil2:

Not. Rather, on the capability and stickiness of the road.
:laugh:

I don't mind hard tyres if the road is soft <_<

FROSTY
10th January 2006, 09:54
I think somewhere deep in what peanut is saying is a bit of common sense.
I think you need tyres appropriate to how you are riding the bike and what purpose you are using it for.
For road use I definitely prefer a harder compound tyre. They last a shit load longer and Ive never had any grip issues ecept where ony a studded ice tyre woulda held to the road.
The bit about sliding. Dunno about doing it deliberately on the road but one reason I want a traillee is to toss some shit road tyres on it and practice sliding the bike around in a paddock. Get comfortable with big slides

Coyote
10th January 2006, 10:00
I rather have sport compunds than slip on plastic tyres as I did and be out of action for several months

10th January 2006, 11:20
ok if better tyres give you better feedback then great - but if they grip then let go it aint. Predictability and feel is the important part....

Motu
10th January 2006, 11:49
I haven't riden with a modern sports tyre,grippy or not....I'd never be able to push them to the limit anyway.But I have used plenty of old style street tyres and off road tyres in various degrees of hardness - and I much prefer a softer grippier tyre,as when they start to slide there is a much bigger ''zone'' to ride in before they let go completely.A hard tyre gives very little warning,then bang,it's gone and you're down.A soft tyre gives a zone you can play around in,as it slips you can hold it there,and even if it goes completly,sometimes you can get it back and make a ''save''.All theoretical of course...like,who'd ever think of doing such a thing on the road.

11th January 2006, 02:04
Perhaps it is just because I ride a Beemer which give bugger all feedback due to very soft suspension, and the entire setup, and perhaps because I ride with touring tyres (ME11/ME33), but I think I can tell better when things might let go, because I've had to concentrate so hard to feel any feedback at all. But then I went on to BT45s here, and the only time they've let go is on spanish roundabouts, or after riding on Cadiz's cobbled streets (oil and piss on my tyres??). Apart from that I cant feel any feedback unless I am under very hard braking...... Maybe the ME11/ME33 give better feedback even though they are harder? Or is it that the bike wont go fast enough/give me enough ground clearance to get to the limits of the tyres (and I've been as close as I want to be to scraping solid pegs, fully loaded)??

kiwifruit
11th January 2006, 02:38
i love sticky tyres
if i could afford to i would leave a trail of rubber everywhere and replace tyres on a monthy basis.

Gremlin
11th January 2006, 03:35
I don't think we all necessarily want the stickiest tyre available. Some do, some of them really need it, running the tyres to the edge, and needing the grip they can get.

Thats why we go to shops that have good info and knowledge on tyres. I tell them everything I can about what I will be doing, riding style, riding conditions etc. They then use their knowledge to come up with the best balance for me personally.

If commuting a lot, a sticky tyre will flatspot, a hard won't as much, but a hard tyre won't give as much grip in the country, but will last longer (obviously).

Personally, tyres are the single most important part on the bike (followed closely by brakes), and although not going sticky because I commute, I am happy to spend a bit on my tyres, as they help to keep me upright. Crashing the bike would cost a lot more than good tyres.

Korea
11th January 2006, 03:59
Hey! Don't go knocking my Shinko tyres man~
Shinko's ROCK <--- check spelling closely.

The SportsMaster tyres aren't too bad for small bikes - enough grip for rain or shine, unless you ride like a tool... like the riders in this little clip...

Yes, another famous carpark(TM) riding scene from Korea - you should know by now that I don't ride on the road. Too scary :tugger:
I made this little clip when we first started practicing and the Exiv was shiney and new.
The writing at the end says "Shinko tyres, the long life tyre. The rider doesn't live long though..."
Have a laugh... :clap:

HenryDorsetCase
11th January 2006, 09:45
bollocks to that..

even if you are riding to your perceived limits, what about the brain dead chainsmoking fuckwit SUV driver that pulls out in front of you? that leeeeeedle extra grip given by decent tyres might save your life that day. Even if only by making you more confident of using your brakes.

God Damn, Jimmy, riding a bike is hard and dangerous enough, why make it harder? why deprive yourself knowingly of something that might give you the edge?

Presumably that attitude extends to your riding gear as well? You may as well use jandals mate, cos it will make you ride slower? and wear an ill fitting half face helmet while you are at it?

Nice trolling, it provoked my response.

11th January 2006, 10:16
bollocks to that..
snip

IŽd be going faster if I had stickier tyres......

Jackrat
11th January 2006, 17:50
My point exactly... :blink: Is this really a responsible attitude? :nono:

Oh shit,ok if your going to get all serious.
If you KNOW what's going to happen then YES it is.
I do know what your on about mate, but your going to have to explain it a lot better before I agree with you.

Teflon
11th January 2006, 18:01
So you own the local Shinko tyre dealership??

Nothing wrong with Shinkos. They give shit loads of warning when you hit there limit, unlike some Avons i've used.

Bleck K6
11th January 2006, 19:14
Yeah & unprotected sex with a prostitute would be more fun but who wants to risk it.