PDA

View Full Version : Kalgoorlie Trip

zadok
9th January 2006, 22:35
On Friday 6 January, my wife Robyn and I loaded up the trusty Kawasaki GTR and went on a bike trip to Kalgoorlie, W.A. The weather was glorious, if not a bit hot. First stop was a drinks break at Meckering, which was the site of one of W.A biggest and most famous earthquakes - 16 Oct '68, 6.9 magnitude. Going through the next town (Cunderdin) we came across W.A's own Ettamogah Pub. Didn't even know it was there! Then off to Merredin, where we stopped for lunch. This marks pretty well the half way point to Kalgoorlie. From there the next town was Southern Cross, where our tongues were hanging out. Had a can of Lemon & Paeroa each to try and slake our thirsts. From S.C there is nothing for 160km! Stopped for a drink (non-alcoholic) at a hotel (Rock Inn) in the middle of no-where, called Bulla Bulling. After B.B it was straight through Coolgardie and on to Kalgoorlie. Total of 622km from our house to the Hotel. The bike went perfectly. Averaged about 46mpg on premium unleaded, which I guess wasn't too bad two up.

Went for a conducted tour of Kalgoorlie-Boulder. Learned some interesting things about the history of the area. Even saw the house where Herbert Hoover lived, before becoming the 31st President of the U.S.A.

The weather for the return trip on Monday 9 was a lot cooler. Overcast and drizzle for the first 200 hundred km's or so. On one stretch of road 50km east of Southern Cross, I get stopped by Mr Plod, who was travelling in the opposite direction. The road was devoid of any other traffic and was gun barrell straight, just about as far as the eye could see. Clocked me at 125km/h (open road 110km/h). Fortunately I got let off with a warning! I should think so too.

Had a great time and took a few picks along the way.

Big Dave
9th January 2006, 23:03
Nice job marty, but just as I remember - The riding blows compared to NZ.
What did you do - 5 corners, total - and one of them was turning round to come home. :nya:

zadok
9th January 2006, 23:15
Nice job marty, but just as I remember - The riding blows compared to NZ.
What did you do - 5 corners, total - and one of them was turning round to come home. :nya:
Lucky if there was 5:laugh: Not as good as N.Z I must admit.

hondav2
16th January 2006, 21:35
I lived just up the hill from Herbert Hoovers house in the 1980,s I lived in WA for over 5 years , seen most of it , best part of Oz. Cheers Toddy