PDA

View Full Version : gear change

aff-man
10th January 2006, 08:28
Right was practicing wheelies as you do. But i can only do first gear ones and then hold them till i run out of revs. Second gear ones would require rooting the bike as it is not set up for it...

So I decided for now the best bet is to change gears while wheelieing. Easier said than done. Got told by some tubby bugger (looks at WT) to preload the gear and then change. Did some liitle ones trying this and it just brought the front down (oh and going into neutral while on one wheel isn't the most fun).

So i tried a little higher one and i got into second but as you have to button off slightly and button i=on as soon as i buttoned on it leapt up... quite scarey really.

So now to my question...... Is there a trick or more smooth way of doing this than just preloading the gear change??

cheers

White trash
10th January 2006, 08:38
Just practice you poof and stop whining.:baby:

Just change gear on the fucken thing, it's hardly rocket science.

SimJen
10th January 2006, 08:43
If you get the bike to the balance point, then you can easily change without upsetting it just gotta make it a smooth one and preloading as your mate said is the way to go.
Im not too good at big wheelies, but have managed it once or twice.
I prefer just to gas it up out of slow hairpins and stuff and riding a wheelie out. If I wanted bigger i'd have to get a K5 1000, then they'd be on tap in the first three gears :)

bugjuice
10th January 2006, 09:06
you're doing the change clutchless, aren't you?
And second gear wheelies are fine ya nonce. just clutch it up. That's why bikes have clutches, to wheelie.. and to stop or summat

crashe
10th January 2006, 10:15
Question for you experts in this line of field...

What is "Preloading" a gear change?????????????????
Do you only do it when doing a wheelie or can it be done anytime????

I have not heard that term before..

So could one of you really nice gentlemen care to explain to me what that is.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

skelstar
10th January 2006, 10:17
Actually I was wondering too...but guessing that it means giving the throttle a blip to make the change smoother?

cowpoos
10th January 2006, 10:20
Question for you experts in this line of field...

What is "Preloading" a gear change?????????????????
Do you only do it when doing a wheelie or can it be done anytime????

I have not heard that term before..

So could one of you really nice gentlemen care to explain to me what that is.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

what are you doing out of the kitchen!!!

cowpoos
10th January 2006, 10:21
Actually I was wondering too...but guessing that it means giving the throttle a blip to make the change smoother?

and you too....how come you not in the kitchen :argh:

crashe
10th January 2006, 10:24
what are you doing out of the kitchen!!!

At least I am in here asking sensible questions not like you just wasting time on a good site with wasted dribble...

:msn-wink: :innocent:

The_Dover
10th January 2006, 10:28
where's my ****en eggs woman?

cowpoos
10th January 2006, 10:33
At least I am in here asking sensible questions not like you just wasting time on a good site with wasted dribble...

:msn-wink: :innocent:

oh....thems fighting words little ladie....now stop being so lippy and get back in the kithen and get dover his eggs....oh and I want cheese on toast and a coffee :pinch:

riffer
10th January 2006, 11:13
Stop being arseholes guys.

If you can't answer the question, don't bother ridiculing others.

edit: I had a bit of an idea about preloading, but didn't want to say anything u ntil I found a better description.

Here's some info on preloading gears:
http://www.vf750fd.com/blurbs/shifting.html

bugjuice
10th January 2006, 11:21
that's a lot to read (and good too).
The outlined para about preloading is:
<blockquote>I'm also going to dispel another common bit of moto folklore, namely the practice of preloading the shifter. Yes, this may hasten the shift process and may even seem to make the shifts more positive in their engagement, but think about what it's doing to the transmission. You're now applying pressure to the shift selector mechanism and one of the shift forks. The transmission doesn't shift yet because it's in an acceleration or deceleration state. In fact, if you backed off the throttle momentarily, the transmission would likely complete the gear change just like any other clutchless shift. A lot of old timers will tell you this is the way to go. The problem is most of them don't know how the transmission operates. I also see a lot of them complaining about how their transmission jumps out of gear if they don't preload between shifts. If you need to preload the shifter to get the transmission to successfully complete shifts, chances are good it's already damaged and needs repairs. Don't preload the shifter, OK?</blockquote>
That's the site's para, not mine. Just gonna read it myself now

**R1**
10th January 2006, 11:27
Just practice you poof and stop whining.:baby:

Just change gear on the fucken thing, it's hardly rocket science.what he said, pratice practice practice....when you get it you will wunda wtf you were having difficulties with....

aff-man
10th January 2006, 17:25
what he said, pratice practice practice....when you get it you will wunda wtf you were having difficulties with....

yeh just scared me a little... will work on it though

ghostrider
10th January 2006, 19:34
just get it up past balance point and ride the rear brake 2 stop u from goin ova. i can go foreva in 1st gear

White trash
11th January 2006, 07:38
Thanks for that quote Sluggy, doesn't actually apply to me though as I don't keep a bike long enough to wear gearboxs out.

And when I say "preload" it, I don't mean stand on the fucken thing. Just to be sure I'll stop doing it on Sues bike though:blink:

bugjuice
11th January 2006, 09:01
yeah, I wasn't totally convinced about that quote. I guess by reading that, I'm ready most of the time when I'm about to change..
you missed me actually get my bike a couple of inches off the ground last night

aff-man
11th January 2006, 10:13
yeah, I wasn't totally convinced about that quote. I guess by reading that, I'm ready most of the time when I'm about to change..
you missed me actually get my bike a couple of inches off the ground last night

bugger it. couldn't come anyway with the huge screw in my tyre....

We'll have to go out another time

bugjuice
11th January 2006, 10:14
I screwed my tyre too.
and yes, we will..
soddin ironic that my best were where everyone couldn't really see.
Footage to come soon :niceone:

Sniper
11th January 2006, 11:50
I have tried to wheelie the cbr forever and I just can't get it right. Why?

**R1**
11th January 2006, 11:56
I have tried to wheelie the cbr forever and I just can't get it right. Why?don't stress its a honda thing..Biff cant either:rofl: :rofl:

aff-man
11th January 2006, 17:47
don't stress its a honda thing..Biff cant either:rofl: :rofl:

Bull... my CBR600 did awesome wheelies.... with a bit of encouragement hahahha

crashe
11th January 2006, 20:37
Thanks for the link.

And thank you for taking my question seriously... much appreciated.

mattt
11th January 2006, 21:28
I have tried to wheelie the cbr forever and I just can't get it right. Why?

Post less - wheelie more :scratch:

Patch
11th January 2006, 21:34
just get it up past balance point and ride the rear brake 2 stop u from goin ova. i can go foreva in 1st gear

What about the other five gears??? :msn-wink:

larriken
12th January 2006, 06:30
Changing gears mmmmmmmmmmmm When I first started doing wheelies I could not get this sussed. No matter how much explaining people did I was still stuck in one gear. Then one day it just changed (elves I believe). Seriously, I reckon you just have to keep trying and one day it'll click, literally.

You can't change while the bikes screaming and to be honest I think that is where the preloading logic comes in. You have to have your foot lifting slightly up and ready for the moment that you back of the gas. If you don't, you'll take to long to change. I hold the lever up with my foot till there is tension, back off the gas a touch and bang, in she goes. Very fooking easy once you figure it out.

Another good way to learn is to start in first, clutch it up, and as the bike is lifting bang it into second. Sounds odd but is super easy after a bit of practise. Also means that you can blast off at the lights and not ring the fooking snot out of a first gear wheelie. Hope some of that helps. I have a vid of me that I'll try and put a link to, and in it you can clearly see the changes and what the bikes doing etc.

aff-man
12th January 2006, 08:33
Changing gears mmmmmmmmmmmm When I first started doing wheelies I could not get this sussed. No matter how much explaining people did I was still stuck in one gear. Then one day it just changed (elves I believe). Seriously, I reckon you just have to keep trying and one day it'll click, literally.

You can't change while the bikes screaming and to be honest I think that is where the preloading logic comes in. You have to have your foot lifting slightly up and ready for the moment that you back of the gas. If you don't, you'll take to long to change. I hold the lever up with my foot till there is tension, back off the gas a touch and bang, in she goes. Very fooking easy once you figure it out.

Another good way to learn is to start in first, clutch it up, and as the bike is lifting bang it into second. Sounds odd but is super easy after a bit of practise. Also means that you can blast off at the lights and not ring the fooking snot out of a first gear wheelie. Hope some of that helps. I have a vid of me that I'll try and put a link to, and in it you can clearly see the changes and what the bikes doing etc.

Cheers.. i just do them in first bounce it up at about 7k and hold it till it runs out or "blip" the throttle to keep it up as long as posible... Tried clutching once and it happens really really fast in first and not at all in second...

Practice makes perfect so i'll do that....

Please post any vids if possible so i can see. Cheers

bugjuice
12th January 2006, 08:42
any tips on not shitting yourself when it's starts to get a little high?

**R1**
12th January 2006, 09:46
any tips on not shitting yourself when it's starts to get a little high?invest in some larger balls:laugh:

Sniper
12th January 2006, 11:39
Post less - wheelie more :scratch:

No wheelies for the next 2 weeks, but I get your drift, I mainly post at work

bugjuice
12th January 2006, 11:50
invest in some larger balls :laugh:
i've been tryin to grow 'em..
but yeah, figured that much ;)

**R1**
12th January 2006, 13:40
i've been tryin to grow 'em..
but yeah, figured that much ;)stoppies help increase ball size, but it also has sum nasty side effects like a high pitched voice and they turn black:eek5:

White trash
12th January 2006, 13:46
and not at all in second...

Give me the keys......

aff-man
12th January 2006, 16:44
Give me the keys......

Ok it does in second.... but you have to rev the shit out of it, dump the clutch and yank on the bars.....

How is the mighty beast coming along by the way??

aff-man
12th January 2006, 16:46
any tips on not shitting yourself when it's starts to get a little high?

Do stand up wheelies..... I find it gives better perspective as how high you really are and beasier to control......

But then what would i know:slap:

cowpoos
12th January 2006, 17:42
Do stand up wheelies..... I find it gives better perspective as how high you really are and beasier to control......

But then what would i know:slap:

stand up wheelies...your obviously short....they're abit dodgy for tall people...

aff-man
12th January 2006, 17:50
stand up wheelies...your obviously short....they're abit dodgy for tall people...

Hmmm how tall are you buddy... I'm not the shortest person around....

Maybe it's just you:shake: :shake:

cowpoos
12th January 2006, 18:03
Hmmm how tall are you buddy... I'm not the shortest person around....

Maybe it's just you:shake: :shake:

6ft...but it doesn't help that I have long legs...basically when I try it I'm miles above the screen and it ain't stable at all...

aff-man
12th January 2006, 20:58
6ft...but it doesn't help that I have long legs...basically when I try it I'm miles above the screen and it ain't stable at all...

You must be doing it wrong. First time I tried on the cibber i almost decked it. Start small and get it up. It now feels wierd if i do bigger ones sitting down:confused: :confused:

cowpoos
12th January 2006, 22:51
You must be doing it wrong. First time I tried on the cibber i almost decked it. Start small and get it up. It now feels wierd if i do bigger ones sitting down:confused: :confused:

I ride off road daily..and get heaps of practise..and happily wheelie from 2 to 5th while sitting down...tried standups plenty of times....it don't work for me...coz my lanky-ness fucks it up...

aff-man
13th January 2006, 10:22
I ride off road daily..and get heaps of practise..and happily wheelie from 2 to 5th while sitting down...tried standups plenty of times....it don't work for me...coz my lanky-ness fucks it up...

mmmmmmm... maybe it's your bike... can i try???

gixxer750....*drools*

cowpoos
13th January 2006, 10:46
mmmmmmm... maybe it's your bike... can i try???

gixxer750....*drools*

sure....I'll remove those chicken strips for ya.... :P

if your down this way...txt me and pop round you can practise ya wheelies till ya hearts content on won of me off roaders

aff-man
13th January 2006, 14:04
sure....I'll remove those chicken strips for ya.... :P

if your down this way...txt me and pop round you can practise ya wheelies till ya hearts content on won of me off roaders

Never ridden an off roader. Always wanted to try but noone i know owns one. And i spend all my money on road bikes....

cowpoos
13th January 2006, 14:10
Never ridden an off roader. Always wanted to try but noone i know owns one. And i spend all my money on road bikes....

well the offers there.....oh....and bring ya misses...I'll take real good care of her if ya can off.... :devil2:

aff-man
13th January 2006, 14:22
well the offers there.....oh....and bring ya misses...I'll take real good care of her if ya can off.... :devil2:

If i do cark it i think she'll be too busy beating the crap out of me to need taking care of..:thud: :thud:

bugjuice
13th January 2006, 14:23
come on aff.. i'm bringin mine ;)
I've booked a double too, should be fine for 4 of us

aff-man
13th January 2006, 14:47
come on aff.. i'm bringin mine ;)
I've booked a double too, should be fine for 4 of us

exxxxxxccceeeeeeellllleeeeeeeeeennnnnttttt

*maniacle hand gestures* ..... honestly where is the smiley for that??

bugjuice
13th January 2006, 14:49
errrrrr........ so is that a yes?

DEATH_INC.
13th January 2006, 20:27
Hmmm
Firstly DON'T preload....if ya fook it up and have to back off it'll shift and land ya on yer head.....
Just shift like normal,I even use the clutch sometimes,what I do is shift as I blip the throttle, you know you sorta blip it up and down on balance,just shift when you blip off , then the power is off and when you blip back on yer up a gear.....practise it below balance and you'll soon get it
Change yer sprocket like I told ya a dozen or so times :slap:
Standing up is sweet if yer tall, My mate Sam is on the tall side and he wheelies as far as I do standing....in fact I don't think I've ever seen him wheelie sitting....

aff-man
13th January 2006, 22:56
Hmmm
Firstly DON'T preload....if ya fook it up and have to back off it'll shift and land ya on yer head.....
Just shift like normal,I even use the clutch sometimes,what I do is shift as I blip the throttle, you know you sorta blip it up and down on balance,just shift when you blip off , then the power is off and when you blip back on yer up a gear.....practise it below balance and you'll soon get it
Change yer sprocket like I told ya a dozen or so times :slap:
Standing up is sweet if yer tall, My mate Sam is on the tall side and he wheelies as far as I do standing....in fact I don't think I've ever seen him wheelie sitting....

Yeh i will do. Money i was saving for new chain and sprockets has to go to new tyre now. Hopefully might get some reimbursment from the construction company but i'm not holding my breath. So yeh preloading is way hard. I think your idea of doing it while "bliping" sounds like the goer cause i kinda blip it anyway to keep it up:blink: :blink:

larriken
14th January 2006, 11:58
Not convinced about the tall/short theory. Personally can't see why it'd make any difference either way. You just adjust your riding/wheelie according to your height, weight, etc, etc.

For me I find standups are a lot easier cos I can get them to BP, meaning that I can pick a gear and cruise along at a constant speed. No changing cos you aren't picking up speed. Been trying to do this sitting down for a while now, but I've found it alot harder. Always seem to end up picking up speed, changing gear, and going faster. One day though!

cowpoos
15th January 2006, 11:11
Not convinced about the tall/short theory. Personally can't see why it'd make any difference either way.

I know what your saying...but it is a case by case type thing really...my handle bars are right on my knees on a stand up...its like trying to wheelie a little kids bike...your weights to high...and and its just plain hard to balance....I can balance fine sitting...not as good as alot of you nutters...but I can often tickle the box on my klx to 5th gear