PDA

View Full Version : 2003 GSXR600

Coldkiwi
16th March 2004, 12:10
My Background:
Started riding in 2000 on a GPX 250 for 7 months. binned it, bought an 89 ZXR250 to replace it. Rode that for two years everyday and twice at pukekohe for a track day. sold it. bought a 97 ZX6R in early 2003, rode that everyday till november 2003 (incl two more track days and cold kiwi rally plus countless day trips) when i got this little puppy.
With that in mind!...: (flick to the end for a less convoluted summary!)

First impressions with on the GSXR were mainly limited to
"damn, this thing looks mint!"-the alstare rep paint job absolutely looks fantastic from any angle and any distance and under any light. I had some localised fading on the tank after a month but that was replaced under warranty. Purple Belly fairing is picking up some stone chips that are showing up the yellow base coat but otherwise no dramas.

"Geez, these brakes aren't half bad" - VERY confidence inspiring. Spent a day at pukekohe chastising myself for not using them properly into the hairpin (thats going from 250khr to about 50) and slowly learnt just how good they were if hauled on. It feels very stable under braking. on the open road, i don't feel over commited if I need to brake a little harder when already leant over - something I could feel a big difference on from the zX-6R despite it being fitted with a supercorsa (street grade semi slick) front. it seems very forgiving of me changing my mind and made the castrol esses at Pukekohe a lot more enjoyable. Encourages the rider to learn/perform stoppies!

"How crap are these tyres?" Fitting Dumbplop 207u's to a bike like this should be illegal. Maybe its because I commute everyday that I notice it but the complete lack of grip given out by these things when cold is a travesty and downright dangerous... not to mention expensive if you try and zap out of your driveway too quickly! (trust me - i found out the hard way). I've done the last 5000kms on Pirelli Diablo Corsas and haven't had a scary moment to blame on the tyres since.

"I can't believe I only paid $13000 for this". Definitely the bike of the year if you're after a sports bike. Suzuki NZ piggybacked on a large order from Suzuki Canada and got them into NZ for a silly price. With the other Jap 600's costing from 14,500-17,000, the suzuki was a natural choice.

So that was first impressions:
recent thoughts (bikes now coming up 5 months old)
'Damn that bike looks good!' - Still makes me smile when I walk out to say hello in the morning. I understand this is usually reserved for expensive italian bikes.

'I wonder if I really need a 1000?'. The engine is rather manic. The ensuing noise is intoxicating even without a new can. Unfortunately, the bike really does not encourage legal riding on the road. its definitely a bit of a hoon machine and it takes a lot of will power to resist that twitchy right hand sometimes (I kid you not.. i get VERY edgy sitting behind some cars at 100kmhr on the motorway and occasionally just feel the need to ring the throttle right out in 2nd or 3rd gear for therapy). That said, i've only really wanted more outright power when chasing the 250k barrier at pukekohe so i'm not to desperate for more power gains or a bigger bike yet.

and the only real problem I'm having with the bike is that its slowly killing my neck. it is by far the tallest bike I've ever sat on and would be a pain for shorter people (I'm 5"10). it makes for good corner clearence but is a disaster zone on straight roads that force you into one head up position. 50km on the motorway hurts a lot more than 250km in twistys. strange but true. So its not the sort of thing you'd want to do long km's on in one day without planning some stops. They say you can't sport on a tourer but you can tour on a sportster.. but the GSXR is probably pushing the truth of that statement (despite being well fitted with bungee points, a soft seat and the biggest damn boot space I've seen on any bike - fits two bottles of wine and a tool kit!)

so all in all
PROS:
SO cheap
looks awesome (other people agree)
Very very good brakes and engine if not outright class leader (but see point one)

CONS:
-Looks fearsome (distinct lack of egotistical drivers to play with all of a sudden). This also means for expensive paint jobs if you damage it. never leave home without full insurance because you'd need to go to the top paint man for the work and even he may refuse to do some of it due to the spooky decals.
-ain inducing for your neck
-Tall for short riders

jrandom
16th March 2004, 12:53
Nice review, CK. Got me drooling, anyway... How about posting a full-sized picture of the bike?

ching_ching
16th March 2004, 13:30
Good review - I concur brudder although haven't had major neck probs yet... mind you I'm only 5'8".

BTW CK do you know how many Suzuki NZ brought into NZ? Word 'round the campfire was about 10... can you confirm brudder?

ching_ching

wkid_one
16th March 2004, 14:51
CONS:
-Looks fearsome (distinct lack of egotistical drivers to play with all of a sudden). This also means for expensive paint jobs if you damage it. never leave home without full insurance because you'd need to go to the top paint man for the work and even he may refuse to do some of it due to the spooky decals.
-Tall for short riders
Also - never leave home without insurance as you never know what driveway you are going to spin out on.

Also - is it short for tall riders?

White trash
16th March 2004, 15:25
Good review - I concur brudder although haven't had major neck probs yet... mind you I'm only 5'8".

BTW CK do you know how many Suzuki NZ brought into NZ? Word 'round the campfire was about 10... can you confirm brudder?

ching_ching

I have a funny feeling it may have been less than 10.

Not sure. Good review, CC, although I find mine bloody comfortable all the time. I never have a problem with my wrists even though I thought this would be a problem when I first bought it.

Oh yeah. You forgot to say they do AWESOME wheelies and kill GSX-R750K3's at the standing Quaters. Eh Jimbo :finger:

Coldkiwi
16th March 2004, 16:34
actual figure I got from colemans/holeshot was 22 or 23 so they're not as rare as we'd like. (still... won't take long for that number to get cut down the way the average gsxr owner rides!)

wkid, I read other reviews that said the 600 actually did a remarkable job of fitting all sizes once you were tucked in. small or big it didn't matter once in motion but those shorter in the legs would have more trouble getting legs to the ground.

J... i've put about 3 pics into the gallery shortly after I got it so hunt them out or PM me and I'll flick ya some if you have a hard time finding them.

jimbo600
27th March 2004, 20:50
I have a funny feeling it may have been less than 10.

Not sure. Good review, CC, although I find mine bloody comfortable all the time. I never have a problem with my wrists even though I thought this would be a problem when I first bought it.

Oh yeah. You forgot to say they do AWESOME wheelies and kill GSX-R750K3's at the standing Quaters. Eh Jimbo :finger:

Well it took me a while to pick up on this one. The reason you got me at the 1/4 ers is because I've got an extra 20kg's on you. That's an extra 20kg's that's going to suplex off the top rope your ass.

I'll be seeing you at the next drags boy.

White trash
29th March 2004, 14:23
Well it took me a while to pick up on this one. The reason you got me at the 1/4 ers is because I've got an extra 20kg's on you. That's an extra 20kg's that's going to suplex off the top rope your ass.

I'll be seeing you at the next drags boy.

You're going to "Suplex my ass off the top rope"? :eek5:

What you do in the privacy of your own home is your business, pal but don't bring me into it thanks!

jimbo600
29th March 2004, 15:32
You're going to "Suplex my ass off the top rope"? :eek5:

What you do in the privacy of your own home is your business, pal but don't bring me into it thanks!

That's WWF speak for "fuck ya shit up for ya."

Coldkiwi
29th March 2004, 17:22
hey White trash, ui'm still trying to understand why the gsxr hurts me and not you. what sort of excercise do you normally get? I figure my problem is linked to laziness as much as the bike and office work. is your lifestyle much different?

Andrew
29th March 2004, 18:40
hey White trash, ui'm still trying to understand why the gsxr hurts me and not you. what sort of excercise do you normally get? I figure my problem is linked to laziness as much as the bike and office work. is your lifestyle much different?

Nah you're probably too old to be riding sports bikes. I suggest get something like a tourer/cruiser. Will be kinder on your back!! :laugh:

Firefight
29th March 2004, 21:16

Its unlikely you are lazy CK, try spending more time on the bike ! Sooner or later your body will get used to it.,

Firefight :crazy:

Andrew
29th March 2004, 21:21
Its unlikely you are lazy CK, try spending more time on the bike ! Sooner or later your body will get used to it.,

Firefight :crazy:

No I think its because you do a lot at the gym FF. How much did you say you could bench press again?

750Y
29th March 2004, 21:53
CK; maybe you should think about getting a taller screen to keep your head from getting buffeted. I know that probably sounds silly but it really can make a difference and particularly if you're riding all the time, like you do, a double bubble keeps the blast above your chin so doesn't tend to get under & lift the head back and keeps your neck warmer too which helps also. plus they look nice and you can go faster 8-)

White trash
30th March 2004, 07:41

Sounds like me, mate!

I don't excersise, EVER! Who needs to with the perfect body?

All I do is ride, ride, ride. Try riding a V-Rod 400km in a day at stupid speeds then you'll know the meaning of pain!

aff-man
30th March 2004, 08:17
I want one............ but then you already know that :2thumbsup . But as to rarity i remember a certain ride where not only were we riding with CK but we meet up with a guy on the alstare and as we had lunch another one rode past. Hmmm one for sale at the moment with only 300km on the clock. Whoever bought it you guys can start an alstare club hahahahha :2thumbsup

White trash
30th March 2004, 08:38
Hahahahahahahaha.................................. ...shaddup!

That's it, who wants one?

aff-man
30th March 2004, 08:40
pick me pick me soooooooo sexy :not:

White trash
30th March 2004, 08:53
$11500, 2Bros pipe, never raced/rallied or otherwise.

You can take delivery AFTER April 23rd!

aff-man
30th March 2004, 09:01
I'll call in 3 years :bye:

duckman
30th March 2004, 10:46
Pass - I'll stick to the Suzuki Twin !! :bleh:

Coldkiwi
30th March 2004, 12:12
thanks for the encouragement about the double bubble screen 750Y. I have considered it in the past so I might need to go looking for one.
I don't think lack of riding time is the problem FF because I spend at least an hour on it each week day commuting so its probably the position and my hieght or somethin. Those double screens do look pretty flash I have to say :) now if only I had some money...

Firefight
30th March 2004, 13:15
thanks for the encouragement about the double bubble screen 750Y. I have considered it in the past so I might need to go looking for one.
I don't think lack of riding time is the problem FF because I spend at least an hour on it each week day commuting ........
Sorry CK, but I don't consider that to be a lot of time in the seat !

Firefight :wacko:

Coldkiwi
30th March 2004, 18:01
hey, just cause you're lucky enough to do shift work that gives you fine weekdays doesn't mean I can too!
Just worked out that I'm averaging about 69kms a day since i've had it.. which is not a lot guess but its enough to know that its not my weak neck (after all, its only getting worse with time, not better)

Coldkiwi
30th March 2004, 18:03
..besides... I've wanted a double bubble since I saw BB's one on his MV, so now I have 'professional advice' to get one :)

SPman
30th March 2004, 18:13
You can take delivery AFTER April 23rd! ...where it'll be none the worse for wear, having been sedately perambulated around a one way road course.......:shit:

To be replaced with an 04 750?...mmmmmmmm.

White trash
31st March 2004, 07:27
Ohhhhh yeahhhh!

In all honesty I'll have to wait a few more months as the good ol' IRD are giving me a fairly good rogering right now. :argh:

Drew
6th April 2004, 12:11
Hey Jimbo, it was my understanding that you have yet to beat WT in any sort of race, so how you can say you gonna get him next time geezer?
:brick: :bash:

jimbo600
6th April 2004, 14:33
Hey Jimbo, it was my understanding that you have yet to beat WT in any sort of race, so how you can say you gonna get him next time geezer?
:brick: :bash:

Simple, it's because I'm full of shit, but can talk a good race.

White trash
6th April 2004, 16:20
Fizzerman! Welcome to KB. Your writing style/bullshit talking sounds vaguley farmiliar. Have we met :laugh:

How's the Fizzer repairs coming along?
:brick:

Coldkiwi
4th May 2004, 13:38
as an update about the riding position (and its even related to the thread!).. I saw a physio who rides a ZX-12R last week and he said the pain I was experiencing was due to my riding position. Its driven by the long reach to the low clip on handlebars which caused me to roll my shoulders forward to reach (hence rooted posture). He recommended I lean further forward and use the fuel tank to support more of my wieght off my stomach. this will allow me straighten my shoulders back in line with my spine and also lets me bend my elbows to take wieght off my wrists. He reckoned a double bubble screen would also help.

Anyone else having problems? If not, are you lanky with dirty long arms like WT?? (I know why he doesn't have the same problems as me now!)

White trash
4th May 2004, 14:16
as an update about the riding position (and its even related to the thread!).. I saw a physio who rides a ZX-12R last week and he said the pain I was experiencing was due to my riding position. Its driven by the long reach to the low clip on handlebars which caused me to roll my shoulders forward to reach (hence rooted posture). He recommended I lean further forward and use the fuel tank to support more of my wieght off my stomach. this will allow me straighten my shoulders back in line with my spine and also lets me bend my elbows to take wieght off my wrists. He reckoned a double bubble screen would also help.

Anyone else having problems? If not, are you lanky with dirty long arms like WT?? (I know why he doesn't have the same problems as me now!)

I ride around on one wheel every where. Therefore, look straight ahead.

Much more comfy :sunny:

Motoracer
4th May 2004, 15:23

Yea, I don't have any probs. I do have longer arms than most people my size though.

jrandom
4th May 2004, 15:32
Well, based on y'all's comments, it very much looks like I shall avoid most of the newer sprotty 600s as my Bike #2 choice. Wot with being short and stubby and already having a bad shoulder and all.

Mmmmm. Brand spankers nekkid black SV thou for $12999 at Holeshot right now. If I were not already deeply, unconscionably in debt and if it were not for my lack of a full license I would have walked in and bought it yesterday.

marty
4th May 2004, 16:04
why buy new???
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/listings/0001-0026-1255-1285-/auction-11046248.htm

White trash
4th May 2004, 16:08
Well, based on y'all's comments, it very much looks like I shall avoid most of the newer sprotty 600s as my Bike #2 choice. Wot with being short and stubby and already having a bad shoulder and all.

Mmmmm. Brand spankers nekkid black SV thou for $12999 at Holeshot right now. If I were not already deeply, unconscionably in debt and if it were not for my lack of a full license I would have walked in and bought it yesterday.

If you're riding around on an FXR, my Gixxer will feel like a relative arm chair! My arms aren't exactly ape like as CK would have people believe and I do huge mileages in one stint with no problems.

jrandom
4th May 2004, 16:10
why buy new???

Because I'm permanently strapped for cash, the bank treats me like a dirty handkerchief when I ask for unsecured credit, and eMoto aren't MTF dealers.

jrandom
4th May 2004, 16:13
If you're riding around on an FXR, my Gixxer will feel like a relative arm chair! My arms aren't exactly ape like as CK would have people believe and I do huge mileages in one stint with no problems.

Hmmmph. It must be more comfy than the '04 CBR600RR then, coz that bike gives me the cramps right bad just sitting on it, and we can't *all* ride at 200kph all day resting our torsos on a pillow of winds.

White trash
4th May 2004, 16:37
And who said that Hondas were the most user friendly sports bikes. Bahhh!

Get a Gixxer, all the coolest people ride them, eh Deano?

Cajun
5th May 2004, 07:40
i ride one and i am cool

hahahhaha

damn hondas

Firefight
5th May 2004, 16:10

CK, are you out this saturday ?. you can take the R6 for a comparison

Firefight. :crazy:

Cajun
5th May 2004, 16:29
coldkiwi can just harden up.

Coldkiwi
10th May 2004, 13:15
whoops... didn't see this till monday!

i'll let you know when I'm gonna be out next dave. my riding is probably going to be restricted to commuting till the wedding cause I've got so much to do for teh wedding, not to mention shifting into a new flat soon!

I'll work on the hardness just for you cajun :p

Cajun
10th May 2004, 15:02
hahaha i know its a bugger, having to save for wedding, reason me and my misses did bugger all kms last year on fun riding, all mine was just communting backwards and forwards to hamilton.

took me new girl for good blast yesterday, got the knee down a couple times up the kamais didn't even think i was over that far, its brakein in primo it went for its first service today, the brakes are awsome, did a couple of small stoppies in rotovegas yesterday, i was playing with a tl1000r from lights.

Racey Rider
10th May 2004, 17:49
... I've got so much to do for teh wedding, not to mention shifting into a new flat soon!
I'll work on the hardness just for you cajun :p

Wedding nights! :love:
Hardness issues! :rolleyes:
And just what sort of relationship do you have with cajun? :eek5:

Some people make the jokes TOO easy! :spudbooge

I'll refrain this time, but don't let it happen again! :cool:

Cajun
10th May 2004, 20:18
well we both have gsxr600 but he can't have me i am already taken i married a silly honda rider,

Coldkiwi
11th May 2004, 12:58
hehe.. you're a bad man KRs!

duckman
11th May 2004, 13:15
hahaha i know its a bugger, having to save for wedding, reason me and my misses did bugger all kms last year on fun riding, all mine was just communting backwards and forwards to hamilton.

took me new girl for good blast yesterday, got the knee down a couple times up the kamais didn't even think i was over that far, its brakein in primo it went for its first service today, the brakes are awsome, did a couple of small stoppies in rotovegas yesterday, i was playing with a tl1000r from lights.
Playing -Bah - I wasn't even trying ya girl :whistle:

Coldkiwi
11th May 2004, 13:39
was that before or after you got nicked by plod ducky? If it was after, you can be excused for loosing out :)
and besides, all GSXR plonkers know the TL's a pig!

j/k :)

White trash
11th May 2004, 13:42
was that before or after you got nicked by plod ducky? If it was after, you can be excused for loosing out :)

No he's not....... :bleh: :lol:

duckman
11th May 2004, 13:42

Hahaha - Are you trying to rark me up Boooy?? :)

Nah it was waaaaay after - I saw Cajun at the lights in Vegas on my way outta town. I think they said they were stopping for lunch. Cajun has a nice shiny bike but it's got a girly standard exhaust. *looking for a REACTION*

Cajun
11th May 2004, 15:32
Playing -Bah - I wasn't even trying ya girl :whistle:

hahah was that you duckman??
i was with the misses on a blue vtr1000f, i was just doing some fast take offs on it. dc:< final bit of running in on it. Yeah we were going down to water front for lunch, had mother law and father in law behind us, on bmw k12rs and bandit 600.

It was nice and shinny, cause i had spend 1 1/2 hours on saturday washing and polishing it. I know its got a girly sounding exhust at moment it went in for its first service 1000km yesterday. its getting modifyed this week. make it a bit louder,

Don't get me started about the service, it blew the o ring on the oil filter, while he was taking it for his shake down run. oil oil over place, but its sorted now, damn faulty suzuki oil filter.

BTW nice looking bike duckman, i always like the look of the tlr's pity i don't like vtwin motors tho

duckman
11th May 2004, 15:41
hahah was that you duckman??
i was with the misses on a blue vtr1000f, i was just doing some fast take offs on it. dc:< final bit of running in on it. Yeah we were going down to water front for lunch, had mother law and father in law behind us, on bmw k12rs and bandit 600.

It was nice and shinny, cause i had spend 1 1/2 hours on saturday washing and polishing it. I know its got a girly sounding exhust at moment it went in for its first service 1000km yesterday. its getting modifyed this week. make it a bit louder,

Don't get me started about the service, it blew the o ring on the oil filter, while he was taking it for his shake down run. oil oil over place, but its sorted now, damn faulty suzuki oil filter.

BTW nice looking bike duckman, i always like the look of the tlr's pity i don't like vtwin motors tho

Aww thanks,

My GF was quite impressed that your GF was riding such a big bike. Mines got a Suzuki TU250. I was hoping you guys were heading outta town so that I would have someone to play with. - Next time eh ? :2thumbsup

Cajun
11th May 2004, 15:47
not gf the wife. hahhaa

thats her first bike, she learnt on my zzr250, rode our gpz500 bandit 600, and father in laws vn1500d for until she got her full then got the vtr1000f brand new about 18 months ago. She gets along bloody well, and she rides bloody well on roads she knows, roads she doesn't she is very careful on, but the hamilton side of the kamiais is our fav road, and we race each other up, only down side, is her vtr just got that little bit more pulling power out of the corners compared to my 600, but i am still babying it a bit havn't taken it over 12,000rpm still 3500 rpm to go until red line.

Let me know when ya around tauranga, rotovegas way, catch up and go for a ride somewhere

duckman
11th May 2004, 15:59
not gf the wife. hahhaa

thats her first bike, she learnt on my zzr250, rode our gpz500 bandit 600, and father in laws vn1500d for until she got her full then got the vtr1000f brand new about 18 months ago. She gets along bloody well, and she rides bloody well on roads she knows, roads she doesn't she is very careful on, but the hamilton side of the kamiais is our fav road, and we race each other up, only down side, is her vtr just got that little bit more pulling power out of the corners compared to my 600, but i am still babying it a bit havn't taken it over 12,000rpm still 3500 rpm to go until red line.

Let me know when ya around tauranga, rotovegas way, catch up and go for a ride somewhere
Ooops sorry (wife), yea next time I'll post something before heading your way.

Cajun
11th May 2004, 16:12
hahaha thats cool

or give us a bell on the silly phone

i'm up for a ride most of the time as long as i know earlyer in the morning other wise wife will plan me doing work,

Cajun
29th August 2006, 14:32
WHat to look for when buying a gsxr 600 k3

texmo
29th August 2006, 15:32
Thanks bananaMan.

SkOrM
29th August 2006, 16:49
thanks for the review ColdKiwi... ive made my mind up about my next bike:yes: