PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning O-ring chains

Fishy
10th January 2006, 10:51
Hey everyone, my driveway is 400m long and is all gravel and dirt and as you can imagine the dusty crap sticks to my chain like a fat kid to a cupcake.

I am just after a bit of advice as to what sort of product I can use to clean my chain every now and then before I lube it. Im not sure if solvents or white spirits will damage the o-rings?

Grahameeboy
10th January 2006, 10:59
I read you use Kerosene......and lube chain when warm so after a ride.

SimJen
10th January 2006, 11:00
Had mine off the bike the other day as I also live down a metal driveway.
I put it on a rag and used a toothbrush and CRC type stuff to get all the muck out effectively degreasing it. Then wiped it all down with the rag to remove crap and clean the sides. Next I let the CRC evaporate in the sun then emersed the whole lot in good oil, before cleaning the majority off with a rag. Put back on the bike and lubed with a good chain lube.
Seems to be sweet.

justsomeguy
10th January 2006, 11:02
Kerosene and toothbrush to clean it - when warm.

Let it dry a bit - then use whatever chainlube you use.

I use Motul Road chain lube.

SimJen
10th January 2006, 11:04
I read you use Kerosene......and lube chain when warm so after a ride.

Yeah kerosene is a big part of CRC type products.
Always lube chain warm and don't ride till the solvents in the lube have evaporated.

Fishy
10th January 2006, 11:04
Had mine off the bike the other day as I also live down a metal driveway.
I put it on a rag and used a toothbrush and CRC type stuff to get all the muck out effectively degreasing it......

Was the CRC stuff just a general type of degreaser was it? I have used turps and a toothbrush before which works really well but am just unsure if it might be harmful to the o-rings.

SimJen
10th January 2006, 11:05
I think I used just normal CRC to be honest. O-Rings seem fine :)

Firefight
10th January 2006, 11:12
do a search, been heaps of good info on this topic in the past.

here is a link
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=13563&highlight=cleaning+chains

F/F

rogson
10th January 2006, 11:27
IMO o-ring chains don't need as much cleaning as ordinary chains. In fact too much cleaning is as likely to damage the o-rings and remove the prepacked grease as not enough. Having said that, I clean the one on my dirt bike everytime I clean the bike (i.e afeter every ride), which I do by using copious quantities of water (using a hose - but not pressure washer) and a reasonably stiff brush (like a kitchen brush) - then lube within a half hour or so with a spray-on chain lube. I have never quantitatively worked-out what sort life I get using this approch - but I had my last dirt bike for 5 years and went through two chains (and sprocket sets) - which I think is pretty good.

I don't like washing with solvents since it is likely to wash out the grease from behind the o-rings which will be difficult to replace unless you immerse the chain in hot (i.e. liquid) grease - which is way too much f...ing trouble IMO.

vifferman
10th January 2006, 11:41
Hey everyone, my driveway is 400m long and is all gravel and dirt and as you can imagine the dusty crap sticks to my chain like a fat kid to a cupcake.
Read the previous threads, and make sure you use summat to lube it that dries non-sticky, like a good quality wax.

Flyingpony
10th January 2006, 11:42
I used kerosene with an appropriately sized soft paint brush - Slip slop slap the dirt just drips off. Then dry chain with clean rag, wait another 30-60 minute while cleaning some other part of the bike before appling oil to the chain.

Don't put too much oil on ... first ride in rain after cleaning lost rear brake 10 minutes into ride because oil droplets found their way onto the disk ... that was fun, back brake didn't even slow down the bike ... Of course front was still operational ...

Big Dave
10th January 2006, 12:49
I've used WD40 to clean and lubricate my chains for the past 5 years. exclusively. (And all Road bike applications)
you have to reapply more often than waxes etc - every 200km on average - but just splash some on the back sprocket and exposed bit of chain and I get significantly longer chain life than with any other product.
O, X and XW ring chains.
and so easy.

pritch
10th January 2006, 20:09
Kerosene and toothbrush to clean it -
I use Motul Road chain lube.

Toothbrush is not necessarily a good idea. I have read warnings about stiff bristles damaging the soft rings.

Motul is good, Scott oiler is better :-)

Flyingpony
11th January 2006, 07:58
Scott oiler is better :-)
If one can't afford that, buy a Loobman. I've done a review on it here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=13426). It does the trick.

SimJen
11th January 2006, 08:39
I've used WD40 to clean and lubricate my chains for the past 5 years. exclusively. (And all Road bike applications)
you have to reapply more often than waxes etc - every 200km on average - but just splash some on the back sprocket and exposed bit of chain and I get significantly longer chain life than with any other product.
O, X and XW ring chains.
and so easy.

Hmmm, I tried it for a while on one of my bikes. Seemed to work well.
Motogp teams do it as it offers less friction than sticky lubes........if it works for them :)