PDA

View Full Version : Changing sprocket sizes on a blade.

Fishy
10th January 2006, 15:05
I am thinking about going to a smaller front sprocket and a bigger one on the rear in an attempt improve low down grunt.

Would anyone recommend doing it? If so would I need to recallibrate my speedo being digital?

Now I know I'm gonna cop some shit over this especially from WINJA like I should just take my bike and trade it on a gixxer thou but its not gonna happen for monetary reasons at the mo but don't worry WINJA you'll be the first to know when I do.

Grahameeboy
10th January 2006, 15:09
I am thinking about going to a smaller front sprocket and a bigger one on the rear in an attempt improve low down grunt.

Would anyone recommend doing it? If so would I need to recallibrate my speedo being digital?

Now I know I'm gonna cop some shit over this especially from WINJA like I should just take my bike and trade it on a gixxer thou but its not gonna happen for monetary reasons at the mo but don't worry WINJA you'll be the first to know when I do.

How much more grunt do you need with a Fireblade.........!!!

Fishy
10th January 2006, 15:14
I tell ya mate after riding the 05' ZX10 for about an hour it leaves me feeling a bit disappointed in my 04 blade.

Grahameeboy
10th January 2006, 15:18
I tell ya mate after riding the 05' ZX10 for about an hour it leaves me feeling a bit disappointed in my 04 blade.

Oh....just bikes with a different purpose I guess.....remember an hour is not the same as living with it.....I guess if I rode an Aprilia for an hour I would be dissappointed in my SV1000SK5 but I have ridden one and it was nice but I could not live with it.....yep I must be mad

Fishy
10th January 2006, 15:25
Yeah I know what you're saying, the ZX10 was so much more exciting to ride fast but riding it around through town and slow speed turn and roundabouts and the riding position were all in the Kwaka's favour (my opinion anyway).

So I just want to give my thou a bit more down low as its a pretty tame bike really compared to others.

Grahameeboy
10th January 2006, 15:29
Yeah I know what you're saying, the ZX10 was so much more exciting to ride fast but riding it around through town and slow speed turn and roundabouts and the riding position were all in the Kwaka's favour (my opinion anyway).

So I just want to give my thou a bit more down low as its a pretty tame bike really compared to others.

Maybe a K&N and adjusting Fi to suit wil be all that is needed first cause it must be hard to know what size sprockets to use.........

vifferman
10th January 2006, 15:45
Yeah, I'd do it (in fact, I have for my last few bikes).
I went up two on the rear on the VFR750, down one on the front on the VTR1000 (WAAAY overgeared as stock), and down one on the front on the VFR800 (actually the sprocket off the VTR, recycled).
The difference is:
Before: Feels kinda sluggish taking off, bit doughy.
After: "Wow! This feels like how it was when they built the bike, before they overgeared it for emissions/noise compliance!"

Yes, it will change your speedo, but this can be fixed with a plug-in speedo corrector (~$50 kit from Jaycar, or ~$250 YellowBox or "SpeedoHealer").
I didn't bother - just makes me ride a little slower, but then again, I always ride to the conditions, not according to numbers on the instruments.

If you go below 16T on the countershaft sprocket, it will make your drivetrain noisier, and will accelerate chain/sprocket wear. Better to go up two or three teeth on the rear. Or you could cut a tooth or two off and glue it on the back. :whistle:

loosebruce
10th January 2006, 15:56
The other thing with going under a 16T (depends on the bike) it can cause the chain to start chewing at the swing arm (uncool).
Changing sprockets is prolly one of the cheapest easiest mods you can do to liven a bike up.
1 down (frnt) and 2-3 up (rear) should make a huge diff on the blade, the GSXR K3 is lively enough but WT said 1 down was enough to turn it into a bit of a beast and 3rd gear wheelies much easier.
Try going 1 down first (cheapest and you wont have to buy a new chain either) and see how you like that, then if you want more do the rear as well, i'd imagine just the front should be more than noticebable.
Someone somewhere will have a gearing chart for a blade, search one out, i would but i dont care much for blades :ar15: and you should be able ot get a rough idea of what speed you are doing as opposed to gear/revs, this will save ya sheeling out coin for a yellow box etc, really you only need to know roughky 100kph and 50kph, if your're above the ton ya fucked anyway so you might as well just gap it anyway. :shit:

Cibby
10th January 2006, 16:01
make sure you new chain fits the sprokets

and

DONT USE AN ANGLE GRINDER :bash:

hXc
10th January 2006, 16:14
DONT USE AN ANGLE GRINDER :bash:

Why not? Works on the buckets:banana:

MSTRS
10th January 2006, 17:33
While we are on about front sprockets - I'm in the middle of replacing front/back & chain....question is - manual shows nut & lock washer on front...reality is there isn't one on the bike. Now, I've done around 12000k totally unaware of this, but now I know, should I be concerned/fit one/leave as is ???

froggyfrenchman
10th January 2006, 17:49
Why not? Works on the buckets:banana:

When sparks cool, they are gritty steel dust. Very abrasive. Not the sort of thing you really want floating around on all the surfaces of your chain!