PDA

View Full Version : Any IT types on line?

Big Dog
16th March 2004, 19:49
Hi all I need some advice on fitting a psu.
I Have fitted a new psu but verry little is happening. is ther anything I should be checking. things to note it is a atx. it has not been used for approx three months. the fan, power light and the hdd light come on but nothing beeps or whirrs as it should.
Cheers big dog

Yamahamaman
16th March 2004, 19:54
I Have fitted a new psu but verry little is happening. is ther anything I should be checking. things to note it is a atx. it has not been used for approx three months. the fan, power light and the hdd light come on but nothing beeps or whirrs as it should.
Cheers big dog
Sorry Big Dog, I'd like to help, but I have been told that my posts are negative.

Big Dog
16th March 2004, 19:58
Sorry Big Dog, I'd like to help, but I have been told that my posts are negative.
If You know what your talking about I would rather have a negative reply than no reply.

wkid_one
16th March 2004, 20:04
Refer to your motherboard manual - this will point out what to do. If it doesn't - try the website for the mothermoard Manu - they should have information there.

Failing that - pull it out and try again

curious george
16th March 2004, 20:06
Hey BD, I'm out your way tomorrow. I can drop by and take a look. I may have a spare if all else fails.
First though:What was wrong with the old PSU? Did it die a horrible death, or passed away gently?
Is it AMD or P4? P4 has an extra molex connector to the mobo. Pluged in?
A drive, C, and Optical are plugged in?

ahhhhuuummm, both ocmponents are ATX? just checking......

:scooter: Pm'ed

Zed
16th March 2004, 20:12
Cheers big dog
The sounds you refer to should be your harddrive. Try swapping some of the power cables that plug into your HDD & CDrom around...perservere for a while & it might work. Make sure the cables are pushed in tightly all round!

How old is your motherboard?

Big Dog
16th March 2004, 20:15
Hey BD, I'm out your way tomorrow. I can drop by and take a look. I may have a spare if all else fails.
First though:What was wrong with the old PSU? Did it die a horrible death, or passed away gently?
Is it AMD or P4? P4 has an extra molex connector to the mobo. Pluged in?
A drive, C, and Optical are plugged in?

ahhhhuuummm, both ocmponents are ATX? just checking......

:scooter: Pm'ed

lol :lol: it slipped gently intothe night there was no suffering. We tried to shut it down off the kboard, and the hard drivestarted flashing and the screen went blank and that was it. A freind tested the old psu and found that some leads had no output when they should.
They are both atx. The mother board does not require the four pin lead A,C,D are all plugged in.

Is it possible that the components are damp from not being pligged in for three months?

Big Dog
16th March 2004, 20:18
The sounds you refer to should be your harddrive. Try swapping some of the power cables that plug into your HDD & CDrom around...perservere for a while & it might work. Make sure the cables are pushed in tightly all round!

How old is your motherboard?
Very and I have.

Zed
16th March 2004, 20:24
Very and I have.
If your motherboard is very old (2-3 years?) as you say then you may need an AT psu?

Are you sure the ATX psu you have is compatible with your current m/board?

k14
16th March 2004, 20:27
If it was wet or something like that it would probably be poked. But because it is powering up, that seems to point to something else.

It sounds like the PSU is working fine. Only thing i could think of is that you have got too much stuff running off it. Try unplugging the cdrom, the floppy and any other non essential stuff. You can unplug all the drives if you want, see if it posts(beeps) then, although i doubt this will change anything.

Other than that, i would say that the motherboard could be poked.

Do you know what the specs of the PSU, motherboard etc are?

k14
16th March 2004, 20:29
If your motherboard is very old (2-3 years?) as you say then you may need an AT psu?

It is very easy to tell the difference. An AT psu will not plug into an ATX motherboard at all.

The AT psu has 2 power plugs that plug into the motherboard. Whereas the ATX has one (32 pin i think) that plugs into the motherboard (some P4's have an extra connector aswell, but i dont think this applies to you).

Big Dog
16th March 2004, 20:35

The outputs at he common leads are the same.
The mother board is older than that.
The atx was supplied by a computer shop and described as a "straight swap" for the existing component.

k14
16th March 2004, 20:43
So, do you know if the psu is AT or ATX and weather or not the motherboard is AT or ATX. These two standards arent compatiable with each other in any way on the motherboard side of things. However they do have the same hard drive plugs and floppy drive plugs.

You have to make sure both are the same. Do you have a digicam to take pics or anthing??

Zed
16th March 2004, 20:51
The outputs at he common leads are the same.
The mother board is older than that.
The atx was supplied by a computer shop and described as a "straight swap" for the existing component.
Well if you have an identical replacment psu & all the cables are connected tightly in the right places all I can conclude is that some other part may be faulty? Possibly the m/board or dare I say it your harddrive?

I deal with upgrades on the job every week and it seems to be a necessity to upgrade m/boards, cpus, ram, & psu's more often than not because the high rate of failures & technology changing so rapidly.

Sorry that the answer isn't more obvious...personally I would perservere with it until I was blue in the face! :confused2

Yamahamaman
16th March 2004, 21:02
Well if you have an identical replacment psu & all the cables are connected tightly in the right places all I can conclude is that some other part may be faulty? Possibly the m/board or dare I say it your harddrive?

I deal with upgrades on the job every week and it seems to be a necessity to upgrade m/boards, cpus, ram, & psu's more often than not because the high rate of failures & technology changing so rapidly.

Sorry that the answer isn't more obvious...personally I would perservere with it until I was blue in the face! :confused2
Yeah, if it fails to POST, could be a BIOS problem or a main board problem. It is not unlikely that a problem developed on the mainboard and brought down the previous power supply. :Oops: there I go again with negativity.

k14
16th March 2004, 21:07
It wont be the hard drive, a bung hard drive wont stop the computer from posting. All it needs is the cpu, vid card and ram connected properly to post, along with a motherboard and psu.

But i agree with yamahaman, the motherboard could be stuffed. Did u test the old psu in another computer to make sure that was the problem?

Zed
16th March 2004, 21:13
It wont be the hard drive, a bung hard drive wont stop the computer from posting. All it needs is the cpu, vid card and ram connected properly to post, along with a motherboard and psu.

But i agree with yamahaman, the motherboard could be stuffed. Did u test the old psu in another computer to make sure that was the problem?

nothing beeps or whirrs as it should.

You can't conclude that it's not the HDD because that will be the whirring he refers to, and the POST (power on self test) is what causes the beeping he refers to- so it ain't posting either!

Zed
16th March 2004, 21:15
If it was wet or something like that it would probably be poked.
You didn't take it out in the rain did you Big Dog?? Or maybe you spilled your milo on it? :banana:

k14
16th March 2004, 21:17
Yeah, i know. But what i am saying is that a computer will post with or without a hard drive, it isnt essential for the computer to run.

But i think he stated in a previous post that some lights come on. So that would indicate that it is probably not the psu, as power is getting to the computer. It could however be the motherboard.

Zed
16th March 2004, 21:23
Yeah, i know. But what i am saying is that a computer will post with or without a hard drive, it isnt essential for the computer to run.

But i think he stated in a previous post that some lights come on. So that would indicate that it is probably not the psu, as power is getting to the computer. It could however be the motherboard.
Yip...I work better when the pc is in front of me! :sneaky2:

Wonko
16th March 2004, 22:15
Seeing as you are having major problems, this is what I would be inclinded to do.

Check Power supply is giving power - seems to be as things wirr and lights flash etc.
Check power supply cabbles to MB are correct

Disconect all HDD's, the floppy and the cdrom, zip, ls120 etc. Both power and data cables(Only disconect the data cables at the drive end, makes it easier to reconect and know which goes where)

Retry. If no POST screen pops up then shut down again and remove any cards from the machine, network, sound, 3d graphics etc. leaving only your graphics card in there (or none if you have on board graphics)

Retry. If no POST then you could be up shit creek without a paddle and will more than likly need a replacment MB.

If you get a POST, then start adding things one by one, I'd start with the HDD that way it's usable. At some stage it will/may die again, remove last component and retry. If all ok, then last component is the bung one and will need to be checked by someone in the know, or replaced depending on the part.

FzerozeroT
17th March 2004, 07:09
there you go, listen to wonko, have only the MB plugged in, no RAM, Vid card or ANYTHING, it should beep its ass off when you POST, if it doesnt, look for a small round battery, this is near the BIOS, there should be a jumper (a little bit of plastic covered metal that covers two prongs out of three) near the battery and a chip which possibly says AWARD, or another brand name on it. shift the jumper from two of the prongs to the other two and wait ten secs, shift it back to the original setting and stry starting the MB again. if nothing hapens still it is prob the MB

EEEEK! just thouht - is your internal speaker connected to your MB? you would have had to remove MB to replace PSU and are ALL the wires back in the same place?

Who was the wizz who tested your PSU, doesn't he know what to do?