PDA

View Full Version : Strange sounds???

Ur Most Wanted
16th March 2004, 20:06
Hey guys,
I have a 92 zxr250, Brought from Mt eden motorz
Now just recently i had a really bad/strange noise coming from just under my tank, so i took it into mike one day, a few weeks ago.... (i dont know bike language or repairs at all) But he tightened something from under there, some belt if i remember correctly,
Now he fixed it for a short period of time, and not even 24 hours later, a even worse and louder sound had appeared (I assume its from the same place)

I then took the day off work to once again take it into mike ( no offence to the guys there i have alot of time for them) But this time they couldnt find the fault, and left me with this really bad sounding motorbike, now he didnt have time to repair it ... nor could he find the problem while i was being charged 50 bucks for the hour labour...

Has anyone had this before, know what it could be, OR if yah in aucks, wouldnt mind spending some time with a hard core n00b biker, respect to Logo aka Kwakakid, for always running to my resue, but i dont wanna use em

Cheers. Kerran

Lou Girardin
16th March 2004, 20:36
What kind of sound? Is it a rattling noise?
Lou

merv
16th March 2004, 20:42
Now I don't know much about Kawasakis but I'm figuring you don't have any belts under the tank but you will have a cam chain which he may have adjusted. If it noisier than ever now chances are the chain is buggered or the chain tensioner is. Basically depends on what the sound is. Is it a rustling kind of sound or is it a clattery sound and has the bike lost power at all. Reason I'm saying that it may be some other kind of top end problem like cam and valve clearance but it seems hard to understand that Mike couldn't offer a suggestion when he is the one that's heard it.

Ur Most Wanted
16th March 2004, 20:47
Hmmm, well in the beginning, it was a rattling noise, so i got the chain under my tank tightened, however it didnt last long, now its more of a 'clink' that is also in a rotational motion, i kinda guessed that due to the fact that it does it in sync with the engine, and also when i pull back on the throttle the clink also speeds up..... really annoying, and i dont notice a loss of power really even in top end, BUT at top speeds, it is bloody loud....

Help :/ hehe

speedpro
16th March 2004, 20:54
Sounds like a broken tensioner or slipper. I would resist doing top speed till it's fixed, or even riding it more than neccessary. You don't want to crash a set of valves, $$$$$

merv
16th March 2004, 20:58
Yeah and if the chain is now flailing around a bit they have a habit of shredding aluminium off the sides of the tower they run in inside the block and it looks awful if you drain your oil and only wonder at what damage that stuff is doing floating round in your motor.

Motu
16th March 2004, 22:33
If a cam chain is really really worn adjusting the chain advances the cam timming so much the inlet valves start to hit the piston,so if it makes more noise after an adjustment this could be it.Common on Ladas,but have seen it happen on XR250s - and um,it's very common on XLV750s.

georgedubyabush
16th March 2004, 22:47
The infamous zxr250 camchain tensioner.
There've been a couple of threads if you use the search.
Your problem sounds different to when mine gave out.
Mine rattled like hell at idle but smoothed out over 4000. It also had kind of a resonant little rattle at around 8000, like putting a coin in a coke machine. Drove me nuts trying to find that one as I was sure it was something loose like a fan rattling or something.
I was warned not to ride it also.

Ur Most Wanted
18th March 2004, 08:17
I searched for this subject but it came up with alot of bs, skids, wheelies, everything but STRANGE SOUNDS ON A ZXR!

Now while in neutral the bike sounds fine, maybe a clink everyone once in a while, its only when i hit the gas it becomes a broken, and something i notice, hight speeds its the same, just faster, therefore i hear it alot more...

When i took it into mike a while ago, he said one of two things, ONE ride it until your next service, or TWO get the machanic down stairs to have a look, took it down stairs to have a look at it, and he couldnt find the problem,

quite weird......

ANyways cheers guys, ive got the day off today so ill go into mikes to see if they can find anything out this time..

Wenier
18th March 2004, 15:33
i reckon it will b the tensioner. Mine did that and would sound really bad between two areas in the rev range and no where else took it in the cam chain tensioner was dead and the chain was hitting the cova had to get chain chain cova and a tensioner.

Dave
18th March 2004, 15:55
If its making noises, and you ride around ignoring it,it will crap out and you have no one to blame but your self.
If it craps out while your caning into a corner and the motor siezes, you'll crash and if you dont kill yourself, you'll still wreck your bike.
Things don't just go away, If your mechanic doesn't know what it is,leave it for him to diagnose or find another mechanic. :doh:

RickyRocker
22nd June 2006, 22:14
Try Ricky for personal, gauranteed servive or NO charge. 28 crummer rd, greylynn.0212825537(021-buckles) Thanx:scooter:

RickyRocker
22nd June 2006, 22:22
Swop 'servive' 4 SERVICE. Thats what you gauranteed "all the time" Good old service 4 da $ . :yes: