PDA

View Full Version : Hi all newby looking for a little help

Freebird
10th January 2006, 21:41
Hi folks :wavey: I’m new on here my name is Davey Uprichard and I'm a 36 year old Professional Engineer from Northern Ireland, I ride a CBR1100 Blackbird and my wife rides a ZZR600. My wife and I :hug: are going to be traveling around New Zealand for 3 months (mostly backpacking) from the 14th Feb with a view to moving out if we like what we see. I was wandering if there was any one out there who would like to meet up for a drink and a chat and to share some local knowledge? It would be great to meet up with some like minded people and get their view of life in NZ.
Regards
Davey ;)

boomer
10th January 2006, 21:45
g'day mate; I've lived in Preston for a stint.. shit hole aint it :cold:
Anyhows.. definately keen for a beer and a chat when you get here; and i dont think it'll be long before you move here permenantly :yeah:

Waylander
10th January 2006, 22:29
Might aswell get the packers in for all your stuff. Once here, you're hooked.

kels
10th January 2006, 22:33
How sweet are you Waylander! Yup we have a beautiful country here and its so nice to have it appreciated :O)

Darkman
10th January 2006, 23:10
Hi..If you ever in Wellington, give me a PM.Always like to meet new people. Been working in the engineering industry in NZ for a few years now and also doing a BE at the moment..
There is some really nice roads in NZ for biking..think you'll get hooked!

Freebird
11th January 2006, 04:20
Thanks for the replys , looks like a night out in Wellington then cheers Darkman anyone else fancy a few scoops
Regards
Davey :drinkup:

Drum
11th January 2006, 07:23
What kinda engineer are ya Davey?

Deviant Esq
11th January 2006, 07:29
If you're passing through Christchurch I'm sure we could make time to have a couple of beers with you - even got a couple of Irish pubs down here, so I'm sure we'd have no trouble finding a good watering hole!! :msn-wink:
Send me a PM when the time gets closer or confirmed!

And most of all, enjoy your stay here! :2thumbsup

Sniper
11th January 2006, 07:33
As DE said, feel free to pop in if you down chch way. I moved here from South Africa, it wasn't too bad a thing to do. I can perhaps offer a couple of tips?

snuffles
11th January 2006, 08:21
Just PM me when you get in to Wellington, more than happy to meet and dine.....

Grahameeboy
11th January 2006, 08:30
Just PM me when you get in to Wellington, more than happy to meet and dine.....

You will never leave....I have been here 8 years......I am on North Shore so give us a bell if you want an immigrants view.....09 446 6258......

emaN
11th January 2006, 08:35
yep, get in touch nearer the time...
send a PM - Rotorua will very likely be part of your itinerary at some stage...
just got back from the UK 12mths ago after a 4yr OE....good times!
think i may have ridden thru' Preston...?
later,
jon

Biff
11th January 2006, 08:53
Hi Davey, and welcome to the site. Geoff sent me a mail telling me you were after some advice, and contacts, and to keep an eye out for you joining here. Feel free to contact me using the mail address (or PM me here) Geoff sent you.

Depending on timing, we've a spare room for you both just north (15-20K) of Christchurch for a few nights.

Former POM (well - Welsh. About 18 mths here). I'm also a member of the UK BB forum. Because we obviously both have impeccable tastes in motormacyclemachinery.

Cheers
Biff

Ogri
11th January 2006, 09:04
Hey Davey - couple of Scots here in Nelson. Moved out 4 years ago and never looked back.

Also a spare bed (could possibly free up one of the cages for you to tiki tour area as well) here for the pair of you for as long as required - would love to meet and sink a couple of cold ones. Email or PM when you are ready.

My other half is Engineering Manager for CHH Woodproducts - maybe able to give you some help.

Freebird
11th January 2006, 11:20
Cheers guys we are both overwhelmed by the response and I will try and get back to you all personally however I’m very busy making arrangements at the mo. Hi Drum am a mechanical engineer with a varied background my last job was as a Tribologist working in R&D

Thanks again all
Good night or should I say good afternoon :niceone:

Davey

Blackbird
11th January 2006, 11:54
Hi Davey - nice to see you've made your first post. If you got my email from last night, you'll see that Hammer in Auckland will be pleased to meet up with you too. Another tasteful Blackbird owner:eek:

Another email I sent to you bounced for some reason so will send from home tonight or will PM you.

Beers and fresh seafood in Coromandel on me.

Cheers

Geoff

Yokai
11th January 2006, 12:07
Let us know when you are in Auckland - I'm a POM having lived in France and California too...

Can give tips and tricks too!

clint640
11th January 2006, 14:44
For a wee taste of riding in NZ, without spending too much, hire a bike from http://www.coromoto.co.nz in Whitanga & spend a day buzzing around the Coromandel - some of the North island's nicest roads right out the gate. You don't wanna spend the entire trip just looking at our roads & drooling:yes:

Cheers
Clint

Maha
11th January 2006, 15:03
Bring a forwarding address Davey cos you more than likely wont want to go to back....... fek it springs to mind { the immortal words of father ted }.... We are north of Auckland and if you head up this way a must is the Puhoi Pub. Any amount of bikes in and out all day , we have a mate 1 hr north of us who has been here about 10 months, from England, he's a fitter/welder, got a job no problem, just took a bit of getting into New Zealand, mainly cos he's 40, having all the certs didnt matter, but he got here so alls good, he picked up a ZX9 a few months back and is seeing alot of this wonderful country we live in because of it..... enjoy your time here you'll love it :2thumbsup

Hammer
11th January 2006, 20:03
Howdy Davey,

Geoff will have passed on my email to you. Definately have to catch up when you are here in Auckland. Feel free to email me or PM me in the meantime. My partner and I were in the UK for four and a half years before we moved back Dec 2004 so we have been through the move (including bringing a bike). Not in your line of business but happy to point in the direction of job sites so you can do some research.

Cheers

John

Groins_NZ
11th January 2006, 20:18
Hi Davey, sounds like a plan mate - are you hiring bikes once over here?

On a side note... I used to live and work in Preston too, Heathcotes Restaurant on Winkley Square, back in arrrrr 1996-1998. My sister & husband have moved back here from St Annes, Lancashire also.

Hope you have a good time, cheers.

_intense_
11th January 2006, 21:16
Well if you venture south to Timaru and beyond, swing in for a pint or a coffee, place i work at has an evil genius of a chef, be great to yarn bikes with you, we have some fantastic roads i can point you in the direction of... :headbang:

nudemetalz
11th January 2006, 21:45
Heya Davey,

I'm a starter if/when you get to the capital (Welly). Hard NOT to find an excuse to have a beer :drinkup:

:)

blumeeni
12th January 2006, 10:35
Hey FB looks like we'll be there at the same time doing the same thing but unlucky us we're only out there for 2 weeks
are you a member of B.I.R.D.

Freebird
12th January 2006, 21:14
Hi BM yep I've been a BIRD member for around 5 years, thats how I know Geoff James and found my way here, I think we may have met at a BIRD Bashes
When are you flying out?
Fancy meeting up if posible?
Regards
Davey

crazybigal
9th January 2008, 11:37
snap! i ride a bird and my wife rides a zzr250, (well i do at the moment as the alternator is shagged in the bird)

Hi folks :wavey: I’m new on here my name is Davey Uprichard and I'm a 36 year old Professional Engineer from Northern Ireland, I ride a CBR1100 Blackbird and my wife rides a ZZR600. My wife and I :hug: are going to be traveling around New Zealand for 3 months (mostly backpacking) from the 14th Feb with a view to moving out if we like what we see. I was wandering if there was any one out there who would like to meet up for a drink and a chat and to share some local knowledge? It would be great to meet up with some like minded people and get their view of life in NZ.
Regards
Davey ;)

Beemer
10th January 2008, 07:55
Welcome, and here's another offer of a place to stay. I'll send you a PM. We are 110kms north of Wellington and 50kms south of Palmerston North and there is plenty of room here for a couple of people and bikes!

Colapop
10th January 2008, 08:00
Hey Shirls! Dave has been to lunch with us a couple of times already - I'm sure you've met him... Him and his wife live here now... They're almost locals!

Beemer
10th January 2008, 08:24
Hey Shirls! Dave has been to lunch with us a couple of times already - I'm sure you've met him... Him and his wife live here now... They're almost locals!

Doh, didn't notice someone had revived a two-year-old thread!

Blackbird
10th January 2008, 09:45
Doh, didn't notice someone had revived a two-year-old thread!

Hahaha - Davey and I are both mates and riding partners. We recently went round East Cape with Hammer, Bykey Cop and Jimmy B. If you want to see Davey's excellent ride report, go to: http://www.flyingferrets.eclipse.co.uk/index.htm, click on Calendar, then scroll down to East Cape Extravaganza and click on the photo icon for his repot. It has some nice photos. It also has a nice comment about Davey's unfortunate encounter in the ladies loos at Ohope! He would have preferred to forget it but we wouldn't let him:whistle:

Freebird
10th January 2008, 11:47
Thanks Geoff and to think I considered you a friend :crybaby:

Beemer
10th January 2008, 16:27
Thanks Geoff and to think I considered you a friend :crybaby:

How long have you been here, Davey? You can't trust anyone who is retired and spends all day plotting revenge! I must look at the ladies loo report - much of my misspent youth was on the beach at Ohope!

Blackbird
10th January 2008, 16:50
You can't trust anyone who is retired and spends all day plotting revenge!

Not until April Faye and you can be the first victim:yes:.

G

HACHET
11th January 2008, 11:48
hey davey
i have been living in nz for 18mths originaly from surrey uk i love it here ther are some fantastic roads around. I am in hamilton so if your passing then having a beer sounds good.

Conquiztador
12th January 2008, 23:26
And DON'T miss Hawke's Bay. You would never forgive your self. We see more of the sun then anyone else in NZ...

PM when getting closer and we sort something.

jtzzr
13th January 2008, 21:09
Just read your write-up Freebird ,very nice , ah well most of it , the Ohope incident ,at least it wasn`t as hairy as it could of been :rofl::rofl:, By the way, I hear you have impeccable taste in bikes.