PDA

View Full Version : Police and T/Cops supplying their own gear?

ManDownUnder
11th January 2006, 08:29
Something Dynamytus50 mentioned got me wondering...

Cops have to supply some of their own gear?!? I can understand socks and (optionally) daks being required, but please don't tell me it goes beyond that.

What kind of gear DO the cops need to provide for themselves?

Police? T/Cops out there?

MDU

snuffles
11th January 2006, 08:30
Brother used to be a bike cop, pretty sure he got all his gear supplied.

Sniper
11th January 2006, 08:31
That would be interesting to know. In the army we got every bit of our uniform except undies given to us. I would like to think the cops get the same deal

emaN
a rozzer mate here in 'vegas told me some buy second hand vests off the NYPD...
couldn't believe it when he told me...that's gotta suck.

Grahameeboy

Cops have to supply some of their own gear?!? I can understand socks and (optionally) daks being required, but please don't tell me it goes beyond that.

MDU

Attitude!!!....good and bad

nudemetalz
11th January 2006, 08:33
Well my wifey rides a CT-110 for the glorious Post Office and most (if not all) of their gear is supplied, ie boots, trou, jacket & gloves. She bought her own helmet as she uses it on the VTR-250 as well.

Nicksta
11th January 2006, 08:35
i do know they have to supply their own shoes/boots.... there is no regulation issue for those... (at their own expense)

Grahameeboy
11th January 2006, 08:44

With or without the bullet marks!!

bugjuice
11th January 2006, 08:58
would have thought it'd be all part of the deal..
they all have to look like GR with flouro vests

The uk ones have white lids with checks on them. I looked, but you can't buy those in shops..

Motu
11th January 2006, 09:05
Staski and Hutch suppied their own car...so did Columbo,and his own clothes,but no laundry or hairdressers bills.

Lou Girardin
11th January 2006, 09:06
They get a discount on McDonalds when in uniform. Not sure about the doughnut situation.
Apparently, if you purloin Police property - keep it 20 years, you can then sell it on trade me without prosecution.

HenryDorsetCase
11th January 2006, 09:06

shit yeah.

are the NYPD ones bullet or stab proof I wonder.

just as a thread hijack, after those fuckwits smacked that female copper in Buttholeville (cant remember where it was) at the weekend, how long will it be before our cops get 9's as a matter of course. For that sort of deal (quoting Pulp Fiction) they need shotguns.

back on track, given that its the "public service" I would be surprised if they had to pay for anything themselves. Or if they did, they would get an allowance or reimbursement: same sort of deal as I had when I worked for the Post Office.

For one thing, given that its a workplace safety issue, OSH would be involved. Also the Pleece have about the best trade union in the country, except for the one for politicians.

ManDownUnder
11th January 2006, 09:08
Cheers guys - God forbid I shoudl ask a serious question in here (but I have enjoyed the laugh)..

Motu - what about Don Johnson's Boat?

ok ok - for the Cops... I asked here at work and I understand things like map books?!? Torches and Cell Phones?

Please tell me it's not so.

Anything else?

HenryDorsetCase
11th January 2006, 09:08
They get a discount on McDonalds when in uniform. Not sure about the doughnut situation.
Apparently, if you purloin Police property - keep it 20 years, you can then sell it on trade me without prosecution.

now now, Rossy bought that bit of kit his bad self, so it was his.

My question at the time was, if John Minto was hit with something that wasnt Pleece issue, (Meurant said so) surely the cop is acting ultra vires, and using excessive force? Perhaps a civil action might lie between Minto and Meurant?

Any better lawyers out there?

Patrick
11th January 2006, 09:13

Yeah but he "claimed" he "bought it" in the States "privately"..... OH...OH...ummmmmm...A TUI MOMENT!!!!:argh: :crybaby:

bugjuice
11th January 2006, 09:14
walk in naked and say you want a job. See what they give you

Edit - post 6666.. oooooo

Patrick
11th January 2006, 09:17
Cheers guys - God forbid I shoudl ask a serious question in here (but I have enjoyed the laugh)..

Motu - what about Don Johnson's Boat?

ok ok - for the Cops... I asked here at work and I understand things like map books?!? Torches and Cell Phones?

Please tell me it's not so.

Anything else?

The boat??? Good Question... clearly a drug dealers own copper in his pocket. Couldn't afford a boat like that on a coppers wage without being on the take...

Grahameeboy
11th January 2006, 09:23
walk in naked and say you want a job. See what they give you

Edit - post 6666.. oooooo

you Takapuna boys will do anything!!!

k14
11th January 2006, 09:40
just as a thread hijack, after those fuckwits smacked that female copper in Buttholeville (cant remember where it was) at the weekend, how long will it be before our cops get 9's as a matter of course. For that sort of deal (quoting Pulp Fiction) they need shotguns.
They're getting tasers very shortly. Rolling out them for trials in the next few months and possibly see full issue before the end of the year, depending how trials go.

Grahameeboy
11th January 2006, 09:57
Cell phones...on my section my sergeant has a cellphone and that was it. He has to hand it over to the new section if there was a lap over so we just went without.

When i got to my station i got a pack saying "it is prudent to carry a cellphone" was excited until i realised it ment i had to buy one lol!

i spend probably $20 or $30 a month of my phone bill work related. Its easy to say dont call but when things are flying off the handle and its really imperative to get hold of someone, you kinda have to. :doh:

geeze that's bad.....imagine if nurses had to supply their own gear..there would be outrage.......crazy

Firefight
11th January 2006, 10:10
Ambo's also dont get undies, socks or boots... so its kinda uncomfortable on hard roads or when theres hot chicks about.
So we buy or own to avoid these situations. They are supposed to be safety boots because of the nature of the job..$$$$$ this is an issue believe m

Rant over.

you never bought the last pair of boots so stop fuckin complaining:blink:

F/F

Postie
11th January 2006, 10:17
The belts they supply us with are velcro crap, most of the guys i know have replaced them with a different brand which actually holds together when your chasing someone; these are not cheap. We have to supply our boots as well, it sucks cause they are about $200 a pair for the cheapest ones.

is that why they take your shoes of you when you get shut in a cell? do they try them on, if they fit one of the boys then they "get lost" and if not, then they are waiting out side the cell for you when you go home???

Firefight
11th January 2006, 10:19
is that why they take your shoes of you when you get shut in a cell? do they try them on, if they fit one of the boys then they "get lost" and if not, then they are waiting out side the cell for you when you go home???

well earned rep comin your way P

F/F:blink:

Lou Girardin
11th January 2006, 11:16
now now, Rossy bought that bit of kit his bad self, so it was his.

So he said. But why would you buy one when they were on issue?

judgeshock
11th January 2006, 11:38
Let me see when I head to college next month, I have to buy my own pt gear i.e at least 2 x white t shirts, 2 x pairs blues shorts, white socks.

I have to also buy boots as already stated, there is also alot of other smaller items that I have to pay for. Nevermind, can't be helped.
:Police:

judgeshock
11th January 2006, 11:43
Didn't know that one hehe, looks like my appro bill at the college cafe is going to get up there.:niceone:

Finn
11th January 2006, 11:45
Your forgetting your metal badge lol $37.00 or you can just get the plastic id card by itself for free..though people kinda expect a metal badge when your in plainclothes or they wont listen to you...too much damn american tv.

That just sucks man. You should not have to pay a cent for any clothing or equipment that is required for you to forefill (sp) your employment obligations.

Biff
11th January 2006, 11:48
Cell phones...

That stinks. Particularly because I know for a fact that your radio is capable of making phone calls. Unfortunatley those up above you wont enable it(activate the function) due to the fact that they fear the system will be abused, and overload the (radio) network's capacity.

You pays your money you makes your choice.

inlinefour
11th January 2006, 11:52
geeze that's bad.....imagine if nurses had to supply their own gear..there would be outrage.......crazy

In some situations, we do.:bleh:

madboy
11th January 2006, 12:29
Going back to what HenryDC was saying about 9s, I'm all for watching a pig get a beating when they deserve it, and there's a few who could do with it, but from everything I've heard this chick didn't deserve it. Showing up with a gun wouldn't help the situation. Cops in close proximity to a whole lotta people, some of which may or may not have actually been "involved" beyond spectating. Imagine 4 cops onto 40 agro people high on the pack mentality. My money's on the people, 4 to 8 might get shot, but then 4 guns might get pulled from the cops hands and used on them... or might "disappear" completely. Not good IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I think guns definitely have a place in the police, and I think they've been used in many cases quite justifiably. But I don't think they should carry as general issue. Crims already carry enough bad shit, and if they know the pigs are packing, they can easily up the ante too. And cops already have enough on their mind. Protecting their firearm in a hand-to-hand struggle, or deciding when to draw it (knowing that it's right there all the time) are difficult things to do.

It's my understanding that the sargeants already carry firearms in their wagon. But to issue it to the troops they'd need to draw back to a safe arrival point, tool up and go from there.

spudchucka
11th January 2006, 13:19
The belts they supply us with are velcro crap, most of the guys i know have replaced them with a different brand which actually holds together when your chasing someone; these are not cheap. We have to supply our boots as well, it sucks cause they are about $200 a pair for the cheapest ones.

Anything you want like socks pants shirts etc you kinda have to fight for pretty hard (i dont know if thats just auckland or is the same all the way down the country).

As far as torch's, raincoats, hats etc they are all issued.

Stab proof armour was supposed to be issued in a year but that hasnt happened.
The association is fighting to get our boots supplied because footwear is an essential safety item, (OSH). I was at the college for a mates graduation last year and the recruits were all walking around with duty belts fitted with buckles. They looked pretty tinny sort of rubbish though, I'll stick to my home-made special. The duty belt is meant to be getting an overhaul with the rollout of the body armour, I suppose we could end up with any sort of junk.

spudchucka
11th January 2006, 13:21
There isn't a disinfectant strong enough to make me want to wear any of those shoes.

spudchucka
11th January 2006, 13:23
Let me see when I head to college next month, I have to buy my own pt gear i.e at least 2 x white t shirts, 2 x pairs blues shorts, white socks.

I have to also buy boots as already stated, there is also alot of other smaller items that I have to pay for. Nevermind, can't be helped.
Make sure you buy 100% cotton shorts because they make you iron nice litle creases into them. Polyester ones a bitch to iron.

spudchucka
11th January 2006, 13:25
Your forgetting your metal badge lol $37.00 or you can just get the plastic id card by itself for free..though people kinda expect a metal badge when your in plainclothes or they wont listen to you...too much damn american tv.
And when some dickhead loser says, "Right, give me your badge number, I'm going to complain", you can show them your nice pretty badge without any numbers on it at all.

spudchucka
11th January 2006, 13:33
Really? You must be talking about the new orca radios, only some units use those...i use the trusty old saber lol its only semi digital and has no numerical keypad...but it has awesome reception and is nice and big...i see those orcas and i think i might breakthem they look like calculators!

It would be cool if they could do both cellphone and radio comms.
The Motorola ones were the best, reliable, great range, the battery never went flat and you could whack someone with it if things turned to shit. A Snr Sgt I worked under once used one to whack an offender who was resisting arrest and causing quite a few problems in the nuts. Dropped him like a sack of shit, I remember at the time thinking " I don't think he's calling comms for back up" as he started to swing the radio.

Biff
11th January 2006, 13:34
Really? You must be talking about the new orca radios,

Yeah - The Orcas are far better (technically and in terms of build quality) pieces of kit than those bloody ancient Sabers. And believe it or not the Orca is a Military spec radio, while the Saber, even though it looks chunky (and useful for bashing people when you cant get to your stick in time) only just passes the minimum standard (IP54) for durability. Typical Motorola crap. But people buy Motorola because of the brand name not because of their quality/value for money.

Put an Orca and a Saber back to back and check out the actual voice quality and levels of radio coverage (distance) they both offer. Then you'll see how crap the Saber is. And the Orca is cheaper.

And to top it off the Orca is made by a Kiwi company, who design & manufacture arguably the best radios in the world for the money. Not like that nasty Chinese crap Moto sell.

Can you tell I'm a radio geek?

judgeshock
11th January 2006, 13:35
Cheers Spud, I actually have been given two pairs that my uncle had when he went through. He said he wouldn't ever wear them again, after looking at them I can see why.
He also gave me some really gay looking shiny boots for the parade ground on wednesdays. Slightly big but if I don't have to polish them even better.
:headbang:

spudchucka
11th January 2006, 13:36
Ive seen those new ones...they are a little better...still absolute shit though.

I got this one; its really good as it incorporates cable ties into it

http://www.tacops.co.nz/store/view_product.php?product=DUT8BHCS1&PHPSESSID=3ce714ad0bf74dd3d48e10ebfcd05a78
They look pretty good. Mine is just one of the old velcro belts modified with a nice big steel buckle. Bastard never slips and if you have too much 1/2 price MacDonalds you can just squeeze the belt up tight to keep your gut in.

spudchucka
11th January 2006, 13:42
My Sergeant came across a kidnapping of a young (16 year old street worker) girl in progress in the back of liverpool street in the city. He tired to get the guy out of the car but ened up being dragged down liverpool onto city road and onto queen street. He managed to semi knock the driver out with his saber and pull him out of the car on Queen Street at which time myself and T P turned up.

Saber was broken and looked like a bananna.

Were those motorollas those old grey ones? they looked a lot tougher..
Maybe its the saber that I'm talking about, I've never really paid any attention to the names on them. The ones I'm talking about were black, like the ones used on the Third Watch TV show. I haven't seen any of those grey radios for a hell of a long time.

I'm no fan of those curly cord radios either, I just don't like having something virtually wrapped around my neck while I'm dealing with arseholes.

bugjuice
11th January 2006, 13:45
Ive seen those new ones...they are a little better...still absolute shit though.

I got this one; its really good as it incorporates cable ties into it

http://www.tacops.co.nz/store/view_product.php?product=DUT8BHCS1&PHPSESSID=3ce714ad0bf74dd3d48e10ebfcd05a78
ooooo thanks for the link.. I'm gonna buy me a battering ram (http://www.tacops.co.nz/store/view_product.php?product=DOOFP9JB4&PHPSESSID=3ce714ad0bf74dd3d48e10ebfcd05a78) for when I lock the keys in the house again.. Can you get the optional 'fake rock' to hide it under?

spudchucka
11th January 2006, 13:51
Yeah the ones on third watch were sabers which we still use....what do you have?? bloody auckland police prehistoric technology:stoogie:

Yeah those geeks who walk around with antennas sticking out everywhere....its understandable if your a delta or a bike cop...but a beat cop??
We have all Orcas now.

Yeah, it seems that a lot of cops these days are inspector gadget types that need all the trendy bits and pieces. I've seen a few get into scraps and come up with all the radio cords and ear pieces hanging out in a huge jumbled mess, fkn funny.

bugjuice
11th January 2006, 13:55
Big rock youll need! hey do you cruise up lake road quite a bit? think i seen you cruising around my area
you the one followin me?!?! :nya:
yeah, live just off Lake road. Please don't book me. I didn't intend the wheelie, my hands have tourettes and they just spasm sometimes

Patrick
11th January 2006, 14:05

They just don't wanna give ya stuff to go to College just in case you don't make the grade...

Then when you do make the grade, the bosses with short arms and deep pockets don't wanna waste their budgets on your shirts and trousers after the College already gave you a hugely generous two of each......:Pokey:

Good luck at the College...enjoy!!!:headbang:

ManDownUnder
11th January 2006, 14:06
OK now I think that sums it all up.. there is a STORE online where cops can get the goodies they need?

...nifty...

What about this stuff being issued? If you need it- you get it. If you don't get it, you shouldn't need it.

I'm all for our cops being equipped to do their job - and do it well at no/low risk to themselves. Why are my (someonewhat generous dollops of) tax dollars not being used accordingly?

Oh I remember now... we're paying for women to have kids to fathers who abscond...

Patrick
11th January 2006, 14:08
Yeah - The Orcas are far better (technically and in terms of build quality) pieces of kit than those bloody ancient Sabers. And believe it or not the Orca is a Military spec radio, while the Saber, even though it looks chunky (and useful for bashing people when you cant get to your stick in time) only just passes the minimum standard (IP54) for durability.
Put an Orca and a Saber back to back and check out the actual voice quality and levels of radio coverage (distance) they both offer. Then you'll see how crap the Saber is. And the Orca is cheaper. Etc Etc...

I believe both have scramble capacity, but the powers don't wanna waste $$$ in doing that, so the crims can still listen to their scanners and avoid us...

Orcas "could" be used as cell phones too but again, due to the $$$$, ours never will...

Patrick
11th January 2006, 14:09
He also gave me some really gay looking shiny boots for the parade ground on wednesdays. Slightly big but if I don't have to polish them even better.

Yeah...keep them just for Parade only...very gay, but it is what they expect on Parade...

Patrick
11th January 2006, 14:11
We have all Orcas now.

We have a mix of both here...

Biff
11th January 2006, 14:25
I duno man...2 secs
The 2 second thing is not down to the hand portable, it's part of the call setup (network side). If this is really the case then your network maintainer needs a serious kick up the arse. Or it could be operator error.

To prove the point:

call setup times:

Orca (5010-5030) - 110mS
Saber - 200mS

If you're talking about waiting for a clear channel before being able to get through - then again that's a network thing. That means there's either insufficient capacity in your network (very likely in Auckland hence the reason you're possibly going digital within the next 24 months), or again, it’s a serious problem with network configuration (hang time etc).

Sabers are used in the states and aussie....do you rekon they got them just cause they are a well known brand?
The states - hell yeah.The US refused to allow most non US manufactured stuff to be used by govt organisations (GSA) for over a decade (shitty politics over nuclear subs, wars etc, including NZs refusal to back them in Iraq etc). Only last year did they lift the ban. In 05 Motorola began losing market share in the US (17% in '05, the first year of the lifting of the ban!) almost immediately to other companies, including overseas companies like Tait.

As for Oz - Motorola is VERY close to the US administration and DoD. Case in point - look at all of the US govts closets allies, and you'll notice that their govts use, primarily, Motorola kit. Those countries that are more open to competition and not closely allied to the US choose far superior kit from companies you've probably never heard of like Matra (EADS), Sepura, OTE, Rhode & Shwarz etc. Really professional gear. In fact, if you buy a few military aircraft from a US company you often get a free national security radio network. Poland, Hungry and the UK (south east) have all benefited form this kind of deal over the last few years.

Most of govt decisions as to the technologies they choose are based on politics first, then technical ability second.

Can Orca's be used as a GPS location system if there was an officer down?"
You need what's known as an Entropia hand held mic at the moment in order to enable GPS location. The GPS unit is installed in this unit as opposed to living in the radio itself.
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o =""></o><!--[endif]-->
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->

bugjuice
11th January 2006, 14:28
Na man i dont work on the shore...just live there.

I just seen a mint orange kwaka around...very nice
cheers..
wave/toot next time, then i'll know it's you ;)

and Biff, how do you know so much?! you a secret spy or summat?

Biff
11th January 2006, 14:31
I believe both have scramble capacity, but the powers don't wanna waste $$$ in doing that, so the crims can still listen to their scanners and avoid us...

Yup. Transcrypt is the most popular type, then standard voice inversion. And they're not that expensive. Bloody tight arses!

Orcas "could" be used as cell phones too but again, due to the $$$$, ours never will...

Yup - and because of network congestion issues. If you're on the phone for 5 mins, then that's 5 mins that a radio channel cannot be used by another officer. Enabling the capability is one thing, paying for the additional system capacity and the frequency licences is another.

Damned shame more of the speed tax doesn't get channelled back into upgrading your equipment by the sounds of it.

roogazza
11th January 2006, 14:36
All this Tackleberry stuff is giving me a soft on ! 31 years was more than enough for me ! G. :laugh:

Ixion
11th January 2006, 14:39
Cell phones...on my section my sergeant has a cellphone and that was it. He has to hand it over to the new section if there was a lap over so we just go without.

When i got to my station i got a pack saying "it is prudent to carry a cellphone" was excited until i realised it ment i had to buy one lol!

i spend probably $20 or $30 a month of my phone bill work related. Its easy to say dont call but when things are flying off the handle and its really imperative to get hold of someone, you kinda have to. :doh:

I don't understand this. Surely you have those little radio things, why don't they just patch through, it's all wireless transmission. If the little PDA Imate things we give our sales reps to take orders on can do it surely to goodness police issue radios that the taxpayer pays mega bucks for can?

And if not why the dickens are they not supplied. I don't know of anyone now in business who doesn't have a company supplied cell (or full reimbursement)

Biff
11th January 2006, 14:41
and Biff, how do you know so much?! you a secret spy or summat?
There's shit I know I know. There's shit I think I know. There's shit I know I don't know, and there's shit I don't want to know. I know radio.

I have a confession to make:

My name is Biff and I'm a secret radio geek. There's not much I don't know about mobile comms stuff and the politics surrounding it mate. Albeit some of the shite I know about may just be a basic understanding, but it sounds good to those that don't know any different. That's why I know very little about anything else. Coz my grey matter if packed full of useless radio geeky stuff. A bit like yours is full of Web/Graphic design blurb.

I could ask you some graphic design/web type stuff and you’d blind us all with your technowidgetery fluff.

Almost 18mths I’ve been a member of KB, and it's taken me this long to find a topic where I can really show off.

Next question please.

bugjuice
11th January 2006, 14:47
My name is Biff and I'm a secret radio geek. There's not much I don't know about mobile comms stuff and the politics surrounding it mate. Albeit some of the shite I know about may just be a basic understanding, but it sounds good to those that don't know any different. That's why I know very little about anything else. Coz my grey matter if packed full of useless radio geeky stuff. A bit like yours is full of Web/Graphic design blurb.

I could ask you some graphic design/web type stuff and you’d blind us all with your technowidgetery fluff.

Almost 18mths I’ve been a member of KB, and it's taken me this long to find a topic where I can really show off.

Next question please.
fair call. And I like doing design stuff and photoshop (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22332&d=1135111613) stuff. Plus, it pays me too ;) Shame KB doesn't.
As for e bein blindin, nope, can't do that. But it's fun.
Good on ya for fillin yer noggin with stuff tho. Take your fame and let it shine

Next question please.

Babies....

Where do they come from?

Biff
11th January 2006, 15:11
Babies....

Where do they come from?

New World.
$4.30 per pound.

ManDownUnder
11th January 2006, 15:14
Babies....

Where do they come from?

The Baby Factory... twit...

New World.
$4.30 per pound.

Any suggestions on cooking?

20mins per pound or something isn't it?

What about seasoning? I'm a garlic and herb man personally...

Finn
11th January 2006, 15:25
lol you want to know where it goes? WINZ gives out the entire police budget including rent, equipment (all vehicles included), payroll, recruiting EVERYTHING under the Police budget....in 20 days.:scratch:

And herein is the fundamental problem with NZ. All this social engineering is NOT substainable. And it doesn't work - clearly. But most NZ'ers will never learn. Ohhh Helen Clark is great. Labour is doing a great job. Ahh bite me.

I remember playing that game Sim City??? Imagine running that scenario... no police budget and dishing out money to the slums...

Keystone19
11th January 2006, 15:38
The Baby Factory... twit...

Bet your missus isn't saying that about now...

ManDownUnder
11th January 2006, 15:40
Bet your missus isn't saying that about now...

WOT?? SHE'S IN LABOUR?? - but I'm at work!

Besides I know it's mine - I helped her pick it

ManDownUnder
11th January 2006, 15:42
There's shit I know I know. There's shit I think I know. There's shit I know I don't know, and there's shit I don't want to know. I know radio.

I have a confession to make:

Next question please.

fuck it - I read your post and now you have to kill me right?

OK... I'll stop by later just make it painless...

Swoop
11th January 2006, 16:18
So he said. But why would you buy one when they were on issue?

Like a golfer selects his club for the right hole...
(Hmmm - similarities are striking with that comparison...):whistle:

Colapop
11th January 2006, 16:23
Cheers Spud, I actually have been given two pairs that my uncle had when he went through. He said he wouldn't ever wear them again, after looking at them I can see why.
I have to go get my job back at the PCC - Lagoon squad! Gardening and watching you guys run round there was f*rking hilarious!! Mainly coz I didn't hafta do it myself! It gave me a lot of confidence - knowing how if I got into bother what percentage of officers I'd be able to outrun!:rofl: :rofl:

scumdog
11th January 2006, 20:55

MDU

Led Zeppellin C.Ds and chewing gum..

scumdog
11th January 2006, 21:09

Fark no!! Most of the loser drop-kicks that end up in the cells have the same personal hygiene as their mental hygiene - none at all!

The smell off those sneakers and Docs would gag a skunk with a cold!!

Come down and try the stench first hand, you won't believe it.

Biff
11th January 2006, 23:53
got a Q biff. We use tait radios.. base sets and hand helds.. i think some of the older stuff is motorola (hand held only).

So are they any good.???

The Motorola gear? Dunno mate - depends on the models you've got. I'm being a bit of a snob to be honest. Some of the Motorola gear is ok. But you can buy better quality, or at least as good, for less cash. If you're using GP 300s or similar then you've a decent hand held radio for the money paid. But you'd have a better radio if you'd paid the same $ for a Kenwood or Simoco unit. But you wouldn't get a Tait radio for the same price, coz their a bit 'posher' than the GP types.

Moto V Tait - $ for $ the Tait kit is better.

madboy
12th January 2006, 01:20
What yous fellas were sayin about encrytion/scrambling of the police comms... One side of me thinks it's fantastic, it's a get out of jail card :chase: But the responsible side of me can't believe that in this day and age any mug can wander down to Dick Smith and buy an off the shelf piece of electronics for bugger all dosh that gives them the inside running on the law. What are the odds they can miss a day's WINZ benefits and upgrade the comms system? :rofl:

scumdog
12th January 2006, 07:05
What yous fellas were sayin about encrytion/scrambling of the police comms... One side of me thinks it's fantastic, it's a get out of jail card :chase: But the responsible side of me can't believe that in this day and age any mug can wander down to Dick Smith and buy an off the shelf piece of electronics for bugger all dosh that gives them the inside running on the law. What are the odds they can miss a day's WINZ benefits and upgrade the comms system? :rofl:

Yeah, the fact 'they' can hear us is a pain at times - but the look on 'their' faces when they get caught as a result of phony calls on the radio is priceless

" W.t.f.? you guy were meant to be miles away, how come you're right here?"

"Get in the car, what made you think we were miles away?"

"ah, ah umm, nothing"

yeah right!!

ManDownUnder
12th January 2006, 08:28
Yeah, the fact 'they' can hear us is a pain at times - but the look on 'their' faces when they get caught as a result of phony calls on the radio is priceless

" W.t.f.? you guy were meant to be miles away, how come you're right here?"

"Get in the car, what made you think we were miles away?"

"ah, ah umm, nothing"

yeah right!!

I saw the cops in New Plymouth do that once. Got word of a robbery about to go down in one end of town (Motoroa) so they put a call out to an "indcident" at the opposite side of town (Bell Block) - sent a few cars screaming out to Bell Block and all.

Meanwhile there were a number of armed officers posing as Bank tellers... smiling... and waiting.

That's gotta be nerve racking but REALLY satisfying

Pixie
12th January 2006, 08:53
Discount? They More often than not,get it for free.

scumdog
12th January 2006, 09:38

Free? tell me more, where can I get it for free? (or even cheap)

spudchucka
12th January 2006, 10:40
What a load of bullshit. Your source of information is sadly lacking credibility.

judgeshock
12th January 2006, 10:43
Just when I was getting excited about more perks. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Firefight
12th January 2006, 11:24
You gotta try akoranga rd McD's then Dyna. They good to us.. and the receipt shows "50% police disc."

yep great body buildin stuff that Golden Arch goo :apumpin:

Fire get the cop -50% deal and also at BK

no wonder were always up the gym:puke:

F/F

scumdog
12th January 2006, 11:37
Wil just have to wait until McLardalds and BK starts up in htis town!!

cowpoos
12th January 2006, 11:51
I'm no fan of those curly cord radios either, I just don't like having something virtually wrapped around my neck while I'm dealing with arseholes.

Hmmm...... that has a sexual under tone.....

Firefight
12th January 2006, 12:20
F/F where do you work?

pm me sent

F/F

roogazza
12th January 2006, 14:32
and then after all the half price Mc D's every two years you have to do a PCT :sweatdrop I used to love going for those ($750. net ! ) pissing myself at the lard arses trying to get over the 6' wall . I think you get a second for every year older you are over 20 yrs ? I always cruised around in 2 mins 30 secs even at my ripe old 56 years.. G.

roogazza
12th January 2006, 15:00
You must be a young buck ? My middle name is lazy and you also don't get a bonus for doing it fast. (old bull and young bull ! ) As long as I got the gold pass for ... is it 30seconds under your age ? I was happy ...

cheers anyway G.

judgeshock
12th January 2006, 15:04
I think its 2 seconds every year...goes up in even numbers.

Im pretty slow 1:58 or 1:59 ish...some do it under 1:50!

im just not that much of an athelete

Whatever show off, when I did the test I was 2.19 and when I did scope I got shit. They tell me it gets easier when you get used to the technique.

I put it down to doing it on wet muddy ground on the day :cry:

Need to speed up though at college for my own good.

Lou Girardin
12th January 2006, 15:11
Wil just have to wait until McLardalds and BK starts up in htis town!!

But don't you get all the cow you can eat and all the sheep you can shag for free?

judgeshock
12th January 2006, 15:57
Nice one only chucking abit of shit back at ya, i'm impressed by the time. One of the AOS guys did it here in 1.56 and i was damned impressed.

I'm used to the shit comes thick and fast working with engineers also.

Thanks for the warning about college food not.:wacko:
I guess its the best they can do feeding lots of people, sounds like college is going to be pretty full.

scumdog
12th January 2006, 16:10
But don't you get all the cow you can eat and all the sheep you can shag for free?

Fun though it may be it is still not the same!!:laugh: :Oops:

And when you're 'eating' a cow it's liable to shit on your head while in the throes of ecstacy!!:slap: :doh:

scumdog
12th January 2006, 16:15
Whatever show off, when I did the test I was 2.19 and when I did scope I got shit. They tell me it gets easier when you get used to the technique.

I put it down to doing it on wet muddy ground on the day :cry:

Need to speed up though at college for my own good.

Meh, did it in 2:15 when I first joined (44 years old) but now too much lard means I'm doing it in 2:45ish - but hey, at over 50 I don't have to go OVER the wall!
The difference of going over vs not going over is about 4 seconds max.

Put on 10kg at college in 5 months!!!! - and never lost it!

cowpoos
12th January 2006, 17:49

wrong occupation lou :drinkup:

marty
12th January 2006, 19:12
i was a pretty consistant 1.45-1.50'er, but once the cash $$ came in, i didn't really see the need to put the effort in - a pass was all that was required, although a P1 was needed for SAR. i was doing ironman and multisport, training 20 hours a week, so who did i need to prove i was 'fit' to?

S&S
13th January 2006, 09:00
Nice one only chucking abit of shit back at ya, i'm impressed by the time. One of the AOS guys did it here in 1.56 and i was damned impressed.

I'm used to the shit comes thick and fast working with engineers also.

I guess its the best they can do feeding lots of people, sounds like college is going to be pretty full.

Howdy...

Curious as to what time you managed the 2.4km run in?

spudchucka
13th January 2006, 09:03
And when you're 'eating' a cow it's liable to shit on your head while in the throes of ecstacy!!:slap: :doh:
Jeepers! I bet it takes a shit load of Speights to wash away that taste.

spudchucka
13th January 2006, 09:06
Hmmm...... that has a sexual under tone.....
I wasn't talking about that sort of arsehole.:slap:

roogazza
13th January 2006, 09:26

So you are off to "Club Med " good luck with that It'll be a good 6 months ! Thank your lucky stars you don't have to go through Trentham , the food there was best left alone until you were starving ! Everything you ate there had to be checked very carefully before you ate ! Side plate of cockroaches anyone ! But that was 1973.... G.

judgeshock
13th January 2006, 09:31
Thanks for that club med a :gob:

I'm a slow 2.4k runner, consistently 9.50ish. I have the fastest guy in the south island or even nz in our wing, he does it a cruisy 7.54.

He's sickly fast, he makes it look so easy to. :eek:

S&S
13th January 2006, 09:33
Thanks for that club med a :gob:

I'm a slow 2.4k runner, consistently 9.50ish. I have the fastest guy in the south island or even nz in our wing, he does it a cruisy 7.54.

He's sickly fast, he makes it look so easy to. :eek:

Bloody hell, 7.54.

marty
13th January 2006, 09:36
ahh college. just like a sausage factory, but with hotties :) as spud says - watch the food intake - i put 12kg on in the first term - had to lose it all in the second, and running the hills round porirua at 110kg hurts! toi think i got down to 85 for ironman after that!!! i found that 110 was good for going short and taking guys out - they don't tend to get up, but 85 (and fit) was good for going long and foot chases over fences. still got injuries from corrogated fence tops - looks like i slashed my wrists.
it's easy at college to have 3 cooked meals a day, plus muffins and donuts for tea breaks, plus the bar, plus study food, etc etc. use the pool, the gym, go running, find someone of the opposite sex (or same sex if you like that sort of thing) to have mutual sweat sessions (although that can lead to issues with the brass so be careful) but most of all have fun!!

judgeshock
13th January 2006, 09:36
Yeah he's one fast dude, when we did the final run he even felt good enough to run back and give us support.

Seems like a nice guy, he's 19 and said he's always been a natural runner.
I like long distance running and not really stepping it up to do that run.
:rofl:

S&S
13th January 2006, 09:40
I guess I've got a long way to go at 11:30, blahh........

marty
13th January 2006, 09:40
7.54 for 2.4 is fast - < 3 min k's! that's national-level running ability. 3.30/k/2.4k was my fastest, but that made my lungs bleed....i prefer 5.00/k/21 :)

ManDownUnder
13th January 2006, 09:44
7.54 for 2.4 is fast - < 3 min k's! that's national-level running ability. 3.30/k/2.4k was my fastest, but that made my lungs bleed....i prefer 5.00/k/21 :)

Reminds me an incident in Palmerston North where the local running shoe store (Front Runner?) was robbed in the middle of the day (Ironically just down the road from the Cop Shop on Church St)

The owner was a marathon runner and set out after the guy. He didn't want to catch him - just keep up till the guy was completely knackered then phoned him in :niceone:

Brilliant, and the poor bastard didn't have a chance of getting away

marty
13th January 2006, 09:46
when you're fit, running guys down til they're fucked makes it a lot easier to win the ensuing scrap

judgeshock
13th January 2006, 10:06
I'm a 5m 5k runner definately, yeah his time is pretty impressive it may have been 7.58 not 54. It was still definately impressive and I know the Recruiting officer was hell impressed.
Every time I do the run test I feel as if I have burnt my wind pipe for the day, not much fun.

I'm pretty sure when we got an update in the mail that he now holds the record for n.z.

Keep running man and you will get down to the required time.

S&S
13th January 2006, 10:13
Cheers dude... Its just this damn heat & weather that dosn't make it any easier!

marty
13th January 2006, 10:18
Cheers dude... Its just this damn heat & weather that dosn't make it any easier!

i've got an awesome program round here somewhere - i didn't do any running for 2 years (was racing BMX - not much running needed there!), and was struggling to run 2kms at 6.30 pace, now i'm comfortable at 5 min pace, and was after only 8 weeks on this program. pm/e-mail me if you want a copy. it's ridiculously easy to do - could all be done on takapuna beach!

sAsLEX
13th January 2006, 10:38

Used to get free soft serve at the Belmont MCd's on showing ID

dont know if it still happens though

oh and Judgeshock say hello to Ash for me, he starts up down there soon as well, ginger guy with a big head(litterally not the arrogant kinda way)

judgeshock
13th January 2006, 10:54
Yeah man the heat doesn't help, I did the final fitness test on the hottest day in chch in a long time.

I normally run 2-3 times a week 6-7 ks at 5 min pace. I swim once a week, do press ups and sit ups in between. It seems to work for me.

Timaru is pretty hilly also so that helps with stepping things up and down, we also have a piazza down here which I have been using. Hopefully that will make the PCT test easier at college.

I really suck in comparison to the other guys because I normally run hard for the first half and slow down for the second, where as the wise guys pace themselves properly. i.e run harder on the second half. Just me though, like I said not a natural runner.

pm me though ss and I will give you what advice I can if you want it.

S&S
13th January 2006, 11:04
Will do dude,

If all goes to plan & I go down to college in April's intake, I will try track ya down while you are there.

judgeshock
13th January 2006, 11:53
Nice one man see you there. The only Timaruvian in the feb intake

spudchucka
13th January 2006, 12:37
I guess I've got a long way to go at 11:30, blahh........
Keep at it and try varying your training. I found doing interval training helped me get my run times down significantly.

Generally I did one long run a week, (5 - 10 k's) and did interval training twice a week. The interval training was basically 1200 metre and 800 metre sprints. I would run the distance as hard as I could, time myself over the distance and then would rest for the same length of time that it took to run the distance, then do it again. For the 800 metre distance I would do 4 - 5 sets and for the 1200 metre distance I would just do 3 sets. Its really hard work and knocks you into shape really quick but you need to watch out for injuries and back off if you get any niggles.

spudchucka
13th January 2006, 12:39
Get up early, run around 5.30 in the morning.

spudchucka
13th January 2006, 12:43
I could help you with that. good luck.
In 9 weeks time or are you gonna do a runner in the Ambo?

spudchucka
14th January 2006, 12:20
The time seems to be slipping by quickly but I bet thats not the case from your perspective.

Firefight
14th January 2006, 19:46
Nope.. its a long 9 weeks when the weather is as good as this.

hey robo, exact date please, fight club are planning a special ride for you to celebrate:wacko:

F/F
:apumpin:

Firefight
14th January 2006, 19:59
Know this sounds stupid but what is fight club? is it a bunch of fire fighters or something??

no. will pm you

F/F

Firefight
14th January 2006, 20:52
17th March.. its a friday.
so March 18 is a Saturday and were both off... rather convenient.

leave it to me mate.

F/F:whistle:

Divot
15th January 2006, 07:40
Yeah - Put an Orca and a Saber back to back and check out the actual voice quality and levels of radio coverage (distance) they both offer. Then you'll see how crap the Saber is. And the Orca is cheaper.

I will use the saber over the orca any time!!!! The Orcas seam to have had the power turned back to prevent the small battery running flat and have a stand-by mode that clips the first word both ways. The last time I used a orca was when in a situation with a couple of dog handlers and no one could hear my transmissions calling for back up. One dog handler and my self were assulted. I will never take a orac out again. Prefer to not have a orca radio than try to rely on a radio that you cant trust.

scumdog
16th January 2006, 08:24
We had a guy from the New South Wales Police who joined up over here do it in around that...crazy stuff...my best is 9:30...prob now about 9:50 or 10 flat

Yep, I did a 9:30 for it too - but that was wayy back when I was only 44 years old, couldn't do it now, (said in best best Basil Fawlty voice:"old war injury, shrapnel wound you know").

Stuck with the average of 5min/km for most of my training runs.

igor
16th January 2006, 09:51
The belts they supply us with are velcro crap, most of the guys i know have replaced them with a different brand which actually holds together when your chasing someone; these are not cheap. We have to supply our boots as well, it sucks cause they are about $200 a pair for the cheapest ones. AND THESE ARE BEING REPLACED WITH STABPROOF ARMOUR WITH A BUILT IN BELT, GEE CANT WAIT TO WEAR THAT ON A HOT DAY

Anything you want like socks pants shirts etc you kinda have to fight for pretty hard (i dont know if thats just auckland or is the same all the way down the country). REQUIST EVRY TWO MONTHS AND U WILL GET, ORDER ONCE A YEAR AND FAT CHANCE

As far as torch's, raincoats, hats etc they are all issued.

Stab proof armour was supposed to be issued in a year but that hasnt happened. GEE ANOTHER 10 KILOS TO LUG AROUND

BE POSITIVE AND YOUR DAY WILL BE PLEASANT. WHINGE AND YOU JUST PISS EVERY ONE OFF AND DRAG DOWN THE SECTION

scumdog
16th January 2006, 10:01
BE POSITIVE AND YOUR DAY WILL BE PLEASANT. WHINGE AND YOU JUST PISS EVERY ONE OFF AND DRAG DOWN THE SECTION

Ah, the joys of a one-man section!!:woohoo: :rofl:

igor
16th January 2006, 10:05
Ah, the joys of a one-man section!!:woohoo: :rofl:

HEY SCUMDOG DO THE KNOCK SHOPS DOWN YA WAY GIVE YA 50% OFF

AND THE MAN FROMtIMARU SHOULD BE EASY TO SPOT AND THE COLLEGE WITH HIS BANJO

scumdog
16th January 2006, 10:11
HEY SCUMDOG DO THE KNOCK SHOPS DOWN YA WAY GIVE YA 50% OFF

AND THE MAN FROMtIMARU SHOULD BE EASY TO SPOT AND THE COLLEGE WITH HIS BANJO

Only if you're from out of town, locals it's free!!

BTW:Are you really WINJA????

igor
16th January 2006, 10:15
I c that evryone is firing well.

I c in the news POLICE bosses are meeting over the traffic carnage

U may now get demerit points for running red lights. They will discuss this for about 4 hours and then a traffic cop will walk in the room and ask im wots happening. He will tell them that u get demerits for moving violations and a red light is one.

Gee that was a productive 4 hr chat

judgeshock
16th January 2006, 10:46
Can't expect to much from someone who writes in txt language can we?

:clap: No doubt one of the naughty people attached to this site:rofl:

igor
16th January 2006, 10:52
Can't expect to much from someone who writes in txt language can we?

that ant text langouge, that is the inglush of da fuecha

Lou Girardin
16th January 2006, 10:52
Sabres, Orcas, what a load of soft cocks.
What's wrong with struggling back to the car to call for back-up.

igor
16th January 2006, 10:57

i once worked wif a shiela from temuka, ya probably her broffer and cousin, nice girl, checked shirt, shes the cop in the americas cup ad dancing, immm, strange that, its a big world out there or ya goin back to timaru. is mr swartfegger still the boss there in timmyru. i used to work wif him when he was a onstable in orkland

marty
16th January 2006, 10:58
hey igor long time no hear. i seen you cruising about - you'll have noticed how law abiding i am on the busa.....

don't suppose you've been able to pick up a white bmw 320 driven by a young dickhead that does 140 down my street every day?

igor
16th January 2006, 10:59
Sabres, Orcas, what a load of soft cocks.
What's wrong with struggling back to the car to call for back-up.

comin Lou, times have a changed since u was there. geez the desert road wasn't even sealed back then. therre was no viaduct and newmarket and the arbour bridge was just being built

igor
16th January 2006, 11:03
hey igor long time no hear. i seen you cruising about - you'll have noticed how law abiding i am on the busa.....

don't suppose you've been able to pick up a white bmw 320 driven by a young dickhead that does 140 down my street every day?

hey mart, still lurking but only appear for the amusing threads. i am a foot soldier now, taking in the sights. ahhh i love summer. PM me where ya live, time travels ,numberplate and I will set the dogs on im.

Set the dogs on a neighbouring street and the noise has dropped. i think the one of the dogs got 4 in 20 minutes last nite. take that u mongrels

marty
16th January 2006, 11:16
can't get his fucking plate. by the time i hear him, he's gone. chased him the other day in the car, but he blew through the wordsworth/shakespeare stop sign at about 100km/h, and i only to within about 200m before that.

scumdog
16th January 2006, 12:12
i once worked wif a shiela from temuka, ya probably her broffer and cousin, nice girl, checked shirt, shes the cop in the americas cup ad dancing, immm, strange that, its a big world out there or ya goin back to timaru. is mr swartfegger still the boss there in timmyru. i used to work wif him when he was a onstable in orkland
and i wok'd wif him wen he was a onstible in Milton

judgeshock
16th January 2006, 12:14
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ixion
16th January 2006, 12:29
... geez the desert road wasn't even sealed back then. therre was no viaduct and newmarket and the arbour bridge was just being built

That crushed pumice stone stuff they used to put down on it before 'twas sealed didn't half crap out chains, but. And I don't reckon there'd be many left here who've had the exciting experience of getting a bike up the ramps of the old vehicular ferries on a wet night with a decent swell running.

Lou Girardin
16th January 2006, 14:58
comin Lou, times have a changed since u was there. geez the desert road wasn't even sealed back then. therre was no viaduct and newmarket and the arbour bridge was just being built

Yeah, we used to chase the Model T's on foot.

Constable Plod
23rd January 2006, 23:00
My experience,
ORCAS - you get used to them, just allow for the delay or shout in a really panicked voice.
MOTOROLAS - grab them if you can but make sure they work because they get thrashed.

THOSE GOING TO COLLEGE- work hard until your first summative exam, then guage how much work you put in to the results you gained. The next step is very important, calculate how much less effort you can put in while spending more time in the bar but still pass the course.

Most of all enjoy yourself - you will do the real learning about 4 weeks after graduation.

JMemonic
24th January 2006, 04:53

??? you know something my good lady dont, she has to supply her entire uniform and from what I understand at no reduction in price, they can get the gear from only one place, imho the most expensive place in town. Might be different under different DHB's.

[rant mode]
BTW before anyone says look at the money they earn etc remember a registered nurse has a degree now days, that equals huge student fees, they have responsibility for the lifes of their patients and can lose their jobs faster than a doctor in some cases. God who would want that job.
[/rant mode]

scumdog
24th January 2006, 07:21
My experience,

THOSE GOING TO COLLEGE- work hard until your first summative exam, then guage how much work you put in to the results you gained. The next step is very important, calculate how much less effort you can put in while spending more time in the bar but still pass the course.

Most of all enjoy yourself - you will do the real learning about 4 weeks after graduation.
The bar is a real 'dollar-sucker':innocent: - stay away from it if you're poor!

And while the first 4 weeks (months?) is a steep learning curve you NEVER stop learning/re-learning stuff.:spudwhat: