PDA

View Full Version : Ohlins on an old zx6r

MrMelon
11th January 2006, 11:07
I've got a 96 zx6r that's feeling quite comfy and done a huge number of k's now so probably not worth selling. How much would ohlins fork internals and rear shock or a similar uprated suspension kit for one go for? Would it be a worthwhile mod, or would it be better to leave it and wait a year and get something that's just got better suspension to start with?

F5 Dave
11th January 2006, 11:15
Depends on whether you wish to keep it. Only you know what your finances are like. I would not buy an ohlins shock which will run you $1600 these days depending on configuration + still more for fork parts if you can get them.

I would & have gone the upgrade path, I would recommend Mark Patterson at Patterson & O’conner MC in Rotorua. You can get RaceTech or one of the other brands rebuild/valvekits for most anything providing your shock is not damaged this will help quite a bit for maybe a grand for both ends. Check out race tech & traxxion dynamics sites. Phil at motomart may be another good tech.

Either way a re-oil by itself wouldn't hurt.

Hoon
11th January 2006, 13:05
When were the shocks/forks last serviced?

If I were you I'd just change the fork oil ($20) and recharged the rear shock ($150?) then see how that goes.

Going the Ohlins route you'd prob be looking at $3K+.

MrMelon
11th January 2006, 13:28
Had new fork seals and oil about a year ago. I've never touched the rear shock though. The bike's just about to go round the clock, so I'd get bugger all if I sold it. It's still going strong though, so I figured I may as well hold on to it for another year or so and get the most out of it. I'm not set on Ohlins, just some sort of uprated front and rear shock/components. Racetech bits might be the go since I don't want to splash out too much on an older bike. Cheers for the help.

James Deuce
11th January 2006, 13:49
Contact this guy:

Robert Taylor: http://www.haweramotor.com/ at that place, and ask if he has any reconditioned second hand Ohlins shocks to suit. He may be able to get you one or suggest something similar at about a 3rd of the price of new. He's a guru and an Ohlins expert, so if he's reco'd it, it is better than new.

Go to http://www.ohlins.com and use the recommendations tag to find what you're after. It doesn;t list a shock, but does suggest a steering damper and fork springs :)

Hagon suggest one of these: ZX6R ZX600F1, F2, F3 (ZX600F) 1995 1997 600 M64040 N, M64040 being the Hagon Part Number. There is a picture here: http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/HagMono.htm , and you can get them from Sawyers/Motorad.

This is the White Power option: KAW.ZX-6R Ninja ZX600F 95-97 9932.0225.A 17.17.P8.37 17.17.P9.37 /02 320-330
Email rcmp@xtra.co.nz for details.

Brian d marge
11th January 2006, 14:13
The cheapest way is to find a good second hand unit for the rear and rebuild the front with a touch more preload to take up the spring sack ( set )

Rebuilding the rear, IF the shaft is ok and its a rebuildable shock, then its straight forward, new seal, o rings and oil and charged ( non rebiuldable -I dont know how they do them in NZ , but I modify the shock to take a schrader valve and that takes a bit of shagging around -)

The ohdear how much ( ohlins for short ) As far as I am aware ( someone jump in here )

Ohlins work the oil less because of a very progressive shim stack, ie the oil doesnt shear as quick as the factory because it isnt trying to go through small ports and move a small number of thick shims , Great for racers who dont need a fading shock ....but

I assume you have been riding this bike for this length of time , the shock would have been past their sell by date ,,,yonks ago , and it hasnt bugged you . therefore the $1000 for ohlins would really only be for the bling factor .which in it self is worth the money !!!( have seen ohlins for that model as low as 700 NZ )

Have a sit down and think how long you are keeping the bike and how do you ride the bike ( be honest )

Then ring someone like traxxion for advice. Me ...If I wasnt keeping the bike I would throw a second hand unit on the rear and rebuild the front end with a touch more preload .
If I was keeping the bike for another year or so I would rebuild both ends with the correct spring rate for me. ( a cheap source of springs is from another heavier model of bike )

Stephen

Pwalo
11th January 2006, 14:36
I've got a Hagon on the back of the Suzuki. Probably a bit excessive for a GS but a lot cheaper than Ohlins, and seems to work quite well.

Just need to work on the front end now.