PDA

View Full Version : 2006 BMW Capital Coast Adventure

4skins
11th January 2006, 12:12
The BMW Capital Coast Adventure will be run again on Saturday April 1st 2006. The ride offers a truly unique blend of urban and easy ‘big bike friendly’ adventure. The format will be the same as the two previous events in 2001 and 2003. Here are some comments heard after the two previous events… “Full of surprises”, “the best ride EVER”, “a great back-to-basics ride”.

The BMW Capital Coast Adventure centres on Wellington’s extraordinary coastline. Long-time adventure event organiser John Forsyth has some remarkable terrain lined up, including coastal tracks, native bush, fire-breaks and a plan to leave mud on the front steps of the Beehive! The course will be totally rideable on big bikes with pillion passenger and will have alternative sections for those seeking a challenge.

The entry fee of $90 includes lunch and sumptuous dinner, route guide, ride badge and land access. For info and feedback contact john.forsyth@xtra.co.nz Phone 021 476 406 or 04 233 2332 after 6:00pm

zadok
11th January 2006, 14:14
Big trip for a six year old!:motu: Are you doing this ride? Sounds a beauty for off roaders.

merv
12th January 2006, 16:33
4skins will be there somewhere, don't worry about that!

Motu
12th January 2006, 16:36
On the must do list...hope I can get the time.I know,I know - you make the time.I hope I'll have to make a desision on which bike to take....the XT should be going by then.

merv
12th January 2006, 17:13
See you there Motu. I reckon I'll be on my WR.

clint640
13th January 2006, 07:38
On the must do list...hope I can get the time.I know,I know - you make the time.I hope I'll have to make a desision on which bike to take....the XT should be going by then.

I'll ride down with ya. Maybe we should organise a posse from the northern lands to go down on Friday arvo.

Cheers
Clint

merv
13th January 2006, 09:39
It would be cool to have a few KB shirts and stickers on this ride to make a better turnout than we managed on the Pukemanu run 2 years ago. This one is easy for me because its local.

To whet your appetite here's a few old pics from back on the 2001 ride and the 2003 ride when I had my DR250R. Sorry the quality of my pics wasn't so flash then.

2001 pics
1. At the start at the Police College.
2. In the forest near Haywards.
3. Some might recognise the other LB in the Akatarawas thru from Karapoti.
4. Paekak Hill lookout.
5. Makara Beach.
6. You luv Carl's adventure bike.

merv
13th January 2006, 09:45
7. Great views huh! South Coast from Long Gully.
8. 4skins will recognise these next two pics as he took them. Same place as 7.
9. Long drop.
10. Yep we did go into Parliament Grounds.
11. You need one of these route sheet holders.

merv
13th January 2006, 09:56
2003 pics.
1. Starting at the Police College again.
2. Approaching Ngauranga Gorge from above the railway tunnel.
3. At Parliament again.
4. & 5. The Templetons riding up Long Gully.
6. Those views again.

merv
13th January 2006, 10:04
7. Nice track down to the Coast.
8. It was perfect weather on the 2003 ride, let's hope for the same.
9. Lunch break near Ohariu Valley.
10. & 11. On Mt Kaukau.
12. Nice forest shot near Haywards.

That's all folks - look out for pics of the 2006 edition - be there!!

Motu
13th January 2006, 10:07
Carl rides trials with us too Merv,he's got a 3TA powered Cotton,but I've seen him on a Montesa Cota the last couple of times.He adds energy to every event he's in,I'm sure he'll be at Paeroa on his...um some Triumph special with a french name.

If I use the DT230 I sure ain't riding it down! I'd have to carry 10 litres of smoke oil with me...I'd rather not use lawnmower oil at servicestations,but of course it'd handle it just fine....

Coyote
13th January 2006, 10:10
That looks so awesome! Just wish I had the bike for it

merv
13th January 2006, 10:30
Just wish I had the bike for it

Just pay the man and buy one!

Dodgy1
7th February 2006, 11:22
Hey guys.....would this ride be doable on a F650GS I've had minimal experience on gravel....A slow ride through waikerimoana and the motu is all the off road riding iv'e done

4skins
7th February 2006, 12:36
Hey Dodgy1, your bike is certainly up to the task - being a BMW sponsored event, the Capital Coast Adventure is tailor made for the BMW adv bikes. As for your skill level, you might struggle if your only experience has been on gravel roads. You certainly won't get an easier adventure ride than this so if you're willing to give it a go, this is the one for you.

jbf

PLUG
7th March 2006, 19:16
HMMMMM ... This isn't some form of April Fools joke is it 4skins ... good one if it is ... it's very tempting ... bugger it I'm in ... CU there

Going up via the Rainbow on the Friday if anyones interested.

Big Dave
7th March 2006, 19:27
No trailer faggots!

I was told to say that.

merv
8th March 2006, 07:37
I don't think I'll need to trailer my bike to Plimmerton. See you there Big Dave.

4skins
8th March 2006, 09:09
No trailer faggots!

I was told to say that.

That's not very nice Dave, you tell whoever told you that that all faggots are welcome, even trailer faggots, hell, even Vege!!!:2thumbsup

Motu
8th March 2006, 09:16
No trailer faggots!

I was told to say that.

Who are you chanelling?

Big Dave
8th March 2006, 09:51
My publisher dahlink.

Big Dave
8th March 2006, 10:35
OK seriously - the Capital Coast is the best Adventure ride I have done.
Very well worth doing and I hope I can sort a bike for this year - keen as.

dc

Oscar
8th March 2006, 15:42
I agree wid Davey Boy.

It is simply the best Adventure ride...

Oscar
8th March 2006, 15:51
No trailer faggots!

I was told to say that.

How could you understand what he was saying when his mouth was full..?

Oscar
8th March 2006, 16:04
No trailer faggots!

I was told to say that.

Who is this Trailer Faggot?

Big Dave
8th March 2006, 16:23

Woo hoo! I'm glad it's you sleeping in the same digs as him on the weekend then.

Oscar
9th March 2006, 07:53
Woo hoo! I'm glad it's you sleeping in the same digs as him on the weekend then.

Not fuckin' likely..

chris
9th March 2006, 10:40
Not his trailer though !!

I rode that legendary bike back to the office yesterday....Vege goes up another notch.

Oscar
9th March 2006, 10:50
Not his trailer though !!

I rode that legendary bike back to the office yesterday....Vege goes up another notch.

Didja ride the SXC?

chris
9th March 2006, 10:56
Didja ride the SXC?
It's mine for the next few days. Not gonna make the trip with you boys sadly so it's a West Auckland Adventure ride for me this weekend. May nip to Woodhill and see how it goes in the forest! Haven't managed to swap the Oscarised tyre though.....

Oscar
9th March 2006, 11:02
It's mine for the next few days. Not gonna make the trip with you boys sadly so it's a West Auckland Adventure ride for me this weekend. May nip to Woodhill and see how it goes in the forest! Haven't managed to swap the Oscarised tyre though.....

Come on, I left a coupla knobs on it...

chris
9th March 2006, 11:05
Come on, I left a coupla knobs on it...
More like knobettes now.

clint640
9th March 2006, 11:11
OK seriously - the Capital Coast is the best Adventure ride I have done.
Very well worth doing and I hope I can sort a bike for this year - keen as.

dc

Hang On... Isn't the Capital Coast the only adventure ride you've ever done :bleh: :D

Fryin Finn
9th March 2006, 12:39
My one and only Adventure ride was this event in 2003. I really enjoyed it but my bum didn't. Sitting on a board with nails sticking out would have added much needed comfort to the XR's seat.
Pic 1 Red Rocks coast
Pic 2 Long gully after the challenge section - Is that you Merv?
Pic 3 A nice picture of Big Daves behind
Pic 4 Breathless view over Porirua Harbour. I'll be riding nearby in the Enduro this saturday but don't think I'll get any time for the views.
Pic 5 I went down the roads in the background. I had missed the turnoff and was lost. Got put right by a forestry contractor before I went to far.
Pic 6 Sorch marks on the firey beast earlier in the day. My bike got a bit burnt too.

Big Dave
9th March 2006, 12:53
Hang On... Isn't the Capital Coast the only adventure ride you've ever done :bleh: :D

:clap: :D
I knew one of you would get it.
Was picking oscar to stick the boot in atchally.

Besides I rode out to Whatapu twice so far.
And every day my life is an adventure.:sunny:

Oscar
9th March 2006, 12:55
:clap: :D
I knew one of you would get it.
Was picking oscar to stick the boot in atchally.

Besides I rode out to Whatapu twice so far.
And every day my life is an adventure.:sunny:

Whaddabout our little KB jaunt?
Are you coming to Te Wera, Davey Boy?

Motu
9th March 2006, 13:21
More like knobettes now.

I guess it's got a 17? If it's got a 18 you could..ahem...try a trials tyre.

Big Dave
9th March 2006, 13:35
Whaddabout our little KB jaunt?
Are you coming to Te Wera, Davey Boy?

yeah - I've done a few thousand K's of dirt lately.

I was in Te Wera till vege told me it was a 3 day episode - the other mags all close on friday and I have to work.

I'm pushing hard for the capital coast. still don't have a confirmed bike and the buell won't do it - and still have a muffler anyway.

'press' irons in several fires at the mo.

Big Dave
9th March 2006, 13:44

Wow - thanks - Half the arse I used to be!!!
2yrs of hard yards :apumpin: and minus 50 kg later

chris
9th March 2006, 14:06
I guess it's got a 17? If it's got a 18 you could..ahem...try a trials tyre.
It's an 18" and will be getting knobs at replacement time. Maybe I'll try a knobbie on my TLR.

merv
31st March 2006, 08:18
My one and only Adventure ride was this event in 2003. I really enjoyed it but my bum didn't. Sitting on a board with nails sticking out would have added much needed comfort to the XR's seat.
Pic 1 Red Rocks coast
Pic 2 Long gully after the challenge section - Is that you Merv?
Pic 4 Breathless view over Porirua Harbour. I'll be riding nearby in the Enduro this saturday but don't think I'll get any time for the views.
Pic 5 I went down the roads in the background. I had missed the turnoff and was lost. Got put right by a forestry contractor before I went to far.
Pic 6 Sorch marks on the firey beast earlier in the day. My bike got a bit burnt too.

Yeah you got it, that was me in 2003 on my DR250R, my Bro' following on his DR350SE. So if you were the guy on the XR650R you appeared in some of my photos too. So how'd the fire happen?

Anyway everyone, tomorrow it is - who'll be there? I will and my Bro' will be back too. Look out for me on the WR250F with a Kiwi Rider and a KB sticker on its front number board.

clint640
31st March 2006, 10:23
I'm countin' the hours. The bike is freshly serviced, loaded, fueled & ready to go. Will be heading down this arvo about 3. See ya there.

Cheers
Clint

Fryin Finn
31st March 2006, 13:12
Yeah you got it, that was me in 2003 on my DR250R, my Bro' following on his DR350SE. So if you were the guy on the XR650R you appeared in some of my photos too. So how'd the fire happen?

Anyway everyone, tomorrow it is - who'll be there? I will and my Bro' will be back too. Look out for me on the WR250F with a Kiwi Rider and a KB sticker on its front number board.

The fire happened in the challenge section behind Newlands. I dropped the bike (gently) in a ditch with a big PVC pipe running through it and when we got it out the start proceedure was 4 kicks ignition off and compression release engaged then kick over. It backfired and set fire to the grass which was liberally doused with petrol from my carb overflow pipe. It would have been funny except I was shitting my self seeing my bike on fire and it could have set the hill ablaze which was directly under my best friends house. Fortunately there were plenty of fire extinguishers at hand and I was saved to carry on.
Won't be doing tomorrows ride - too lazy to street legalise the gas gas and it's not the right bike for this kind of thing