PDA

View Full Version : Cam Help

sefer
11th January 2006, 16:03
Well, after not riding since sometime before Chrismas (unless you count the scooter I did for my Girl) I figured it's finally time to get around to doing the cam chain.

So, short story, everything is apart as told in the manual, my new $112 peice of chain is in my posession, and I find that the manual doesn't actually say how to change the chain, just how to remove the cams :brick:

The problem is that the chain won't lift of the cog, as the cog is 'indented' into the casing, obviously I could cut the old chain, but I still wouldn't be able to get the new one on without breaking it (something I don't really want to do to my $112 endless chain), plus I'd also have to find a connector to fit if I did.

I'm guessing that I'm expected to crack the casing to get the thing on.. please someone say it isn't so!

erik
11th January 2006, 19:28
This thread might have some useful info:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=19267

and maybe this one, if it turns out you need to split the chain:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=21195

I dunno if you can change a zxr camchain without splitting the chain. Hopefully someone else can provide more useful advice.

sefer
11th January 2006, 19:48
Hey thanks for that first thread, it looks to be almost an identical setup to the 250. Although it isn't actually stated how he got the chain on in the end I'm guessing he broke and joined it..

It looks like I might have to do that, as stuffed if I'm splitting the case for the chain, but if anyone else has other ideas I'd love to hear them :)

I guess the next question is does anyone in CHCH have a cam chain rivit tool, or do I just go for a joiner?

sefer
12th January 2006, 14:47
...well not my day apparently.

I went into the shop where I ordered the chain from and told him my little issue to get the reply "Yeah that's right, you'll have to split the chain to do that job." Would have been useful to tell me that when I ordered the thing.. (expecially since they now mention that they could have got a DID one in for me that would have come with a connector)

Anyway, problem two, they don't have any connectors there and can't tell me what will do the job. They can get me a DID one in, but they can't say if it'll actually fit. It really comes down to who made the original chain (probably DID, but who knows really).

Sooo, can anyone tell me what connector will do the job? There must be someone out there who has done this before..

erik
12th January 2006, 19:21
It's a morse chain, I'd guess they make them to standard dimensions.
If you've got some calipers, you could compare it to the dimensions on this page:
http://www.reginachain.it/eng/products/production_range/scheda_morse.shtml
then just get the joiner link for that particular Regina chain or corresponding DID chain.

But from what Death said in the second thread link I posted, it seems it might be possible to simply push one of the pins out, connect it to the old chain and thread it through, then put the pin back in and re-rivet it. But don't take my word for it, go ask someone else...

sefer
12th January 2006, 20:20
Thanks for the info re: the chain make, however I got sick of trying to find someone down here who could confirm they could get the right one (and I considered reusing the pin, but it didn't seem like a great idea), so I did the unthinkable and dropped the engine :gob:

After a few hours and a bit of mis-information from the manual regarding what actually needed to be removed to crack the casing (I can't see a good reason to remove either the oil pump shaft or the rotor at this point) it's now sitting in the garage in half and ready to be put back together tomorrow. In the end it's probably for the best, as now there is no chance I can stuff up the connection :)

Prehaps if I have the time when I put it together I'll do some pics and a bit of a write up for future zxr owners.

erik
12th January 2006, 20:51
You're a keen man cracking the engine open. Pics would be interesting.
Are you going to have to replace a whole lot of gaskets, or can you just put it back together with the old ones?

sefer
13th January 2006, 20:36
Would have loved to do some pics, but I couldn't figure a way of keeping the camera clean while I was doing it :(

Ultimately not that much of an effort, with it 80% back together now (just the alternator cover and putting it back in to go).

I used a combination of silicone gasket sealer, gasket paper and cement to put it back together. The crank case being the main worry there, however all it required was the sealer anyway. Other that that there are only three main gaskets: oil pan, cluch cover, and alternator cover. I'm using cement and gasket paper on all, so I'll see how it goes. Worse comes to worse they are all reachable and replacible once the engines back in, so I'm not too worried :)

Once it's all done I'll be sure to let you know how it's running.

loosebruce
14th January 2006, 00:03
Ya cracked the engine, fuck me!! Me and the granpa (death) did my one, what a bitch of a job, we had a chain breaker so broke the chain, but to feed it through you needed the cams in place and ah fuck it was just bollocks, piss poor design, and one of the most BS cam chains to replace ever.

Hope it all runs sweet for you, my ones making even worse noises now? go figure, it stays in the garage now cause i'm too scared i'll blow the thing up, 1 dead GSXR1000 and a twice killed TL1000S is enough for me at the mo

DEATH_INC.
14th January 2006, 10:16
Bruce ya poofta! go for no4 :Pokey: