PDA

View Full Version : Crashes hurt- WEAR THE GEAR !

MD
11th January 2006, 18:09
Haven't been on here for ages but thought this pic of my gear might drive home the message and show the value in wearing good protective gear. Been a few too many threads on crashes and now the death of a new member (RIP Scott Carpenter).
Seems to be a lot of riders this summer in T-shirts and shorts. I have no prob doing that myself for a slow trip to the corner shop but I've seen riders on the open road dressed to be skinned to the bone.
Even skilled riders like Death Inc. I see have been caught out. Sorry to see that Death, hope the wounds are healing.
I went for a major slide in October and this pic doesn't do justice to the damage to the gear BUT it hung together long enough to save me. Have to say I was shocked by how long and how far I slid. Seemed to go on for ever and yes, crashing hurts. I already knew that but I guess I deserved a reminder.
I believe that I would have bled to death if I had been in jeans and light top. It was a while before anyone came along. My leather pants were ripped open up one leg and across the bum but they took the brunt and left me with nothing more than some gravel rash and bruises. The Tecknic cordura jacket was ripped up and during the slide both arm pads (elbows and one shoulder) came out but again by then they had taken the worse of the slide. The wear on one of the pads shows how I would have lost a lot of flesh. Can't figure out how but my gloves were off when I came to rest??
The big praise goes to the helmet. I had a backpack on and I think that kept flipping me back on to my front, face down into the road. My eyes were fixed on the stones in the roadseal zinging pass 1 inch from my eyeballs and I was shitting myself that the visor would shatter or open but it held. Ground away the helmet all over the front and sides. Too scary to think about what if it had been an open face.
I have replaced the gear with identical pants, helmet and another tecknic jacket- good on domestic insurance, thank you Tower.
Oh and thanks Sparky Bills for a great deal on the lid.
The bike was 11 days old. Bloody sad to see it wrecked and yes I am very disappointed in myself for what happened. Been lots of soul searching and such. With my Kids this really hit home hard and that's been the biggest hurdle for me to come to grips with.
Before anyone asks IT WAS TOTALLY MY FAULT I CRASHED - ENOUGH SAID, end of discussion, say no more, full stop, the end.
I'll post a pic of the replacement bike next.
So be careful. If you can't be careful wear a condon or something.
MD

zadok
11th January 2006, 18:11
Good call.

MD
11th January 2006, 18:41
This was one of the last of the 05 red colours.
The front forks were bent, doesn't show in pics and the top of the forks rammed back into tank.In turn the frame spars popped out sideways and the engine was broken off the frame and now sits about 5 inches lower. See the gap between tank and the frame spars that should be touching. Stone the crows the speedo was broken, bent and found metres from bike but later on the Assessor plugged it to bike and the engine started like new so the he got an odometer reading (1397km). Both tyres burst and wheel rims bent.

edit- oops, might have to reduce the pictures files size. Well I did but they still seems to take too long to open?

Motu
11th January 2006, 18:43
So you made a mistake and needed your good gear - if you weren't so stupid and didn't make a life threatening mistake....would you still have needed the gear?

Sniper
11th January 2006, 18:46
Bugger to hear mate. Glad to see you were wearing gear

emaN
11th January 2006, 18:51
geez!
hate to think what your face'd look like had you been wearing an open face!!
glad you're semi-ok! shame 'bout the bike..

Mrs Busa Pete
11th January 2006, 19:02
Shit mate so glad you are resonably OK and dam good idea to post state of gear.

APPLE
11th January 2006, 19:03
glad 2 see yah made it thru alright mate?you must have put your family thru hell bro?

riffer
11th January 2006, 19:06
Shit Mark, hadn't heard from you in a while.

Yeah falling off hurts. I still remember you pulling up when I binned the FZR on the Welly Motorway. I wasn't hurting then but I sure was the next day.

My gear wasn't very badly damaged but I remember the ankle that was stuck to the bike when it flipped and hematoma on my thigh where it landed on top of me well.

Without the good gear I would have been very sore. IIRC there was no road rash at all on me. Like you I was face down too... and I was only doing about 80-90 km/hr.

A sobering lesson allright.

I'm glad you came out of it okay. Lucky it wasn't the Triumph you dropped I guess...

DEATH_INC.
11th January 2006, 19:07
I hit the deck at about 130k or so and slid about 100 yards....the bike got about 130 or so....after a few you learn to wait till after you think you've stopped....

MD
11th January 2006, 19:13
I hit the deck at about 130k or so and slid about 100 yards....the bike got about 130 or so....after a few you learn to wait till after you think you've stopped....
It was seeing your injuries that prompted me to post this. Sorry to hear what happened Death. Man you could have been boned. And I don't mean that in a fun sexual way.

Hitcher
11th January 2006, 19:17
Mark

That is an impressive example of Kawasaki abuse. You were one lucky bugger, assisted by good gear. So when's that cruiser making an appearance in your gargre?

madboy
11th January 2006, 19:19
Holy shit Mark, I had no idea you'd binned. Hope you've healed up now and everything is working like it should. Bugger about the bike, but it's only money. Next time I see you out you'll have to fill in the non-postable details.

MD
11th January 2006, 19:20
So you made a mistake and needed your good gear - if you weren't so stupid and didn't make a life threatening mistake....would you still have needed the gear?
That is a stroke of brilliance. Use hindsight to prevent all accidents, injuries and deaths by misadventure etc..You could put an end to all road deaths, why stop there, end all deaths caused by silly humans just by telling them in advance of the event not to go out/do that/go there/touch that/swim there...
Save us Saint Motu.

Leong
11th January 2006, 19:23
Thanks for deciding to post. Sure shows the benefits of good gear. So this happened in October - have you got the replacement bike yet?

Glad to hear you're not put off biking - with the family and all!!

MD
11th January 2006, 19:30
Holy shit Mark, I had no idea you'd binned. Hope you've healed up now and everything is working like it should. Bugger about the bike, but it's only money. Next time I see you out you'll have to fill in the non-postable details.
Nothing serious. Got hauled off to the local hospital for x-rays and some minor bleeding here and there. Thought I'd broken a wrist and ankle or foot. Couldn't walk much for a couple of weeks and still can't get up to a run. The ambo ride was hilarious. The oxygen cylinder wasn't secured and toppled onto my hurt foot. Oh dear said the Nurse. I said, well I wasn't sure if that was broken so atleast that's removed any doubts.
Keep an eye out for me up the hill on the new black - well see below

TonyB
11th January 2006, 19:31
Geeze what a mess MD. Sounds like you've been doing some serious soul searching since the bin.

You of course are perfect and never make mistakes then? What about when someone else makes a mistake and you get caught up in it?

Good troll by the way.

MD
11th January 2006, 19:41
Thanks for deciding to post. Sure shows the benefits of good gear. So this happened in October - have you got the replacement bike yet?

Glad to hear you're not put off biking - with the family and all!!
Thanks folks for the kind words. And yes the bikes replaced, last week. Run it in in 48 hours. My third 636. I'm working my way through the catalogue, green red and now black. Could be tough if they bring out pastels or pink next year. The black is awesome looking. The 06 has fixed the only gripe with the 05 model - the screen is a bit higher and clears the rev counter. Not that I found that a problem before anyway.
MD
another pic hey.

Leong
11th January 2006, 19:44
That bike looks AWESOME in black..... you must spend ages in the garage just looking at it!!:2thumbsup

Motu
11th January 2006, 19:57
Preaching - a form of cummunication often used by Born Again Christians,reformed smokers,vegetarians.....and motorcyclists who crash,for whatever reason....they all wish to ''save'' those less fortunate than themselves.

I was ''saved'' many years ago....these threads go in the bin with Jehova Witnesses.

MD
11th January 2006, 20:31
Preaching - a form of cummunication often used by Born Again Christians,reformed smokers,vegetarians.....and motorcyclists who crash,for whatever reason....they all wish to ''save'' those less fortunate than themselves.

I was ''saved'' many years ago....these threads go in the bin with Jehova Witnesses.
And happy new year to you too.
What thread are you reading by the way? I can't find one with preaching in it. See you at church unless you are still on the doorstep talking to those JWs that you don't talk too like these threads that you don't post on.

NhuanH
11th January 2006, 20:45
another poor 636 laid to rest. I shed a quiet tear.

Sorry to hear of your accident Mark. On the positive, black is Phat!

Shiny side up, but you know that...

gman
11th January 2006, 20:49
well said that man.

skelstar
11th January 2006, 20:50
Hey MD. Did Dafe, VTWIN, Darkman and I meet you on the top of the taka's the other day (Friday)?

Zed
11th January 2006, 20:58
Wow Mark, you did a spectacular job destroying that bike! Thank God for good gears and brand spanking new replacement motorcycles!! :clap:

Thanks for sharing btw.

hXc
11th January 2006, 21:17
Good God! They are a mess! At least you were wearing them and you're not badly hurt.

Nice new bike by the way

SPORK
12th January 2006, 00:19
I think I popped a massive boner over your new bike.

Deviant Esq
12th January 2006, 00:43
Holy crap, that gear sure is rooted. Good thing insurance is taking care of the cost of that. Very glad to hear you were wearing it. Won't protect you much if you leave it at home! Just goes to show... even the guys who think they're bulletproof soon learn that being careful never ends. A moment's complacency or over confidence and whack, she's all over.

Posh Tourer :P
12th January 2006, 04:30
You get used to doing 100 / 120kmh (or more) while flying along a bit under 2m from the road surface. For a feel of how fast you are actually going, try doing 100-odd in a go-kart, or alternatively, fall off......

It is a lot faster and scarier than you think it is......

Lou Girardin
12th January 2006, 07:10
I don't think I would have bought the same jacket after having the armour come out. What if you'd then hit something with that elbow?

TonyB
12th January 2006, 07:15
It is a lot faster and scarier than you think it is......
True, but then it pays not to think about that, otherwise sooner or later you'll be taking a corner a little bit faster than you think you can/ should, and then panic will ensure that you are.

MD
12th January 2006, 07:39
Hey MD. Did Dafe, VTWIN, Darkman and I meet you on the top of the taka's the other day (Friday)?
Yeah that was me joined you for a coffee late Friday afternoon. Good to meet you. cheers.

MD
12th January 2006, 07:47
I don't think I would have bought the same jacket after having the armour come out. What if you'd then hit something with that elbow?
Yep I thought about that too Lou. The old one has a patch sewn over the elbow area with a zip to hold the armour in place. It was these patches that came apart. The right arm patch totally seperated and left patch 80% opened up. The armour pads were found on the road side not far from me- see one sitting on the left arm in photo. The new style jacket doesn't have these add on patches and the armour is permanently inside arm with what appears to be a stronger leather type covering. It was the stitching on the pants that seems to be the weak point more than the leather itself.

MD
12th January 2006, 07:53
I think I popped a massive boner over your new bike.
Thanks, that's a ...umm good way of complimenting the bike I guess. It is receiving good comments from those that have seen the black. Strange it looked average crammed in a showroom. Shops need to understand a bike looks much better in sunlight and away from other bikes. I hardly noticed it in the shop and asked them to wheel it outside for a better looksee and whoa! shit 0.002seconds later I was hooked.

skelstar
12th January 2006, 07:58
Nice.
I quite liked the colour of your other bike too (have seen other examples)...a bit more orange would be nice though :).

Scouse
12th January 2006, 07:58
Haven't been on here for ages but thought this pic of my gear might drive home the message

Why does the date say 31/01/03 on the first photo.....?

Pixie
12th January 2006, 08:21
While it's true true that modern gear is an improvement over the old,I did all my sliding along the roads on my arse in jeans and leather jacket with no armour and I didn't lose any skin.
And what's with all these " bins on the way home on the new bike and afte' 2000 km" posts.Does this tell us something?

NordieBoy
12th January 2006, 08:28
And what's with all these " bins on the way home on the new bike and afte' 2000 km" posts.Does this tell us something?
Get a new bike and don't come home?

I think I was threatened with that once. :bye:

Aaron
12th January 2006, 10:50
Good to see you're ok, makes me think about getting some Drag'n jeans before I have a decent spill.

Thanks, that a umm good way of complimenting the bike I guess. It is receiving good comments from those that have seen the black.
Went and sat on a black 636 a couple of months ago and absolutly loved it, (the 'dash' is awesome and the sound, purrrrr'fect). I'm eyeing up the '06 ZX10, got the new 2006 twowheels yearbook on my desk now having a read up. Damn find looking bikes, I reckon if Knight Rider had a bike it'd be one of them, (in black of course!!).

Please don't crash any more. Here I am trying hard to save for the deposit and you're chewing through them like candy :weep:

HenryDorsetCase
12th January 2006, 12:08
God Damn Jimmy, thats some gourmet shit!!!

thanks for your post, and the pictures. I think I see some new Quasimoto leather kit in my futrure.

Also, that 636 is gorgeous.... also in green with the black frame, also in orange with the black frame....

MD
12th January 2006, 17:14
Why does the date say 31/01/03 on the first photo.....?
Every time we change the digital camera batteries it's time stamp reverts to 2003, must have been a good year for cameras? Keep forgetting to reset it and now have heaps photos taken in the last year or so dated 2003 :doh: .

Leong
12th January 2006, 17:33
OT sorry, but that camera must be a pain, one of the best things about digital is the info stored, eg the date

MD
12th January 2006, 17:55
Good to see you're ok, makes me think about getting some Drag'n jeans before I have a decent spill.

Went and sat on a black 636 a couple of months ago and absolutly loved it, (the 'dash' is awesome and the sound, purrrrr'fect). I'm eyeing up the '06 ZX10, got the new 2006 twowheels yearbook on my desk now having a read up. Damn find looking bikes, I reckon if Knight Rider had a bike it'd be one of them, (in black of course!!).

Please don't crash any more. Here I am trying hard to save for the deposit and you're chewing through them like candy :weep:
Cheers.
Finally someone else who likes the 636 dash. Some mags slag it off but I love it and it is easy to read in sunlight. I read that the 636 was Mr Ks biggest seller in 2005. Not surprised. I'll make sure one is left for you to buy. Nice new matt blue out this year too.
I like the look of the 06 zx10, just not into 1000cc sportsbike at the mo myself. They should be in the shops anyday.