PDA

View Full Version : cool photos, not m/c related

gav
17th March 2004, 11:09
Got sent these in an email, best photos of 2003 or something, cool huh?

Ms Piggy
17th March 2004, 13:07
Very cool - this pic is Wellington in the lightening storm.

Jackrat
17th March 2004, 13:28
LOL,I bet the waxhead got a fright when that Dolphin first showed up.

bungbung
17th March 2004, 13:28
Nice, I love the pic of the dish shaped cloud menacing the mountain.

georgedubyabush
17th March 2004, 20:58
LOL,I bet the waxhead got a fright when that Dolphin first showed up.

dolphin or shark? the picture is named shark.jpg

James Deuce
17th March 2004, 21:02

It's mammalian - might even be a little Orca. The tail is horizontal, and there's only a single dorsal fin.

Motoracer
17th March 2004, 21:27
Got sent these in an email, best photos of 2003 or something, cool huh?

Shit yea, they are one of the most beautiful pics I have seen!

It would have been a 1000 times better if I could have been there at that place at that time thoe. My fav one is pic 2, then 1, then 3

RiderInBlack
17th March 2004, 21:31
It's mammalian - might even be a little Orca. The tail is horizontal, and there's only a single dorsal fin.
Na, right size, colour and shape for a Tursiops (common bottlenose) Dolpin.

matthewt
17th March 2004, 22:34
Na, right size, colour and shape for a Tursiops (common bottlenose) Dolpin.

Really ?? sheez I don't remember Flipper being that big :msn-wink:

wkid_one
18th March 2004, 06:47
Also - if you go to www.kurtjones.com (http://www.kurtjones.com) - the photographer confirms it is a dolphin. You can also tell that the dorsel fin has a curved trailing edge - sharks typically don't.

Grumpy
18th March 2004, 07:03
Wot ever it is, I bet there's a large brown racing stripe on that surf board now! :eek5:

FzerozeroT
18th March 2004, 07:52
easiest way to tell if it is shark or dolfin is - sharks have a veritcal flipper, dolfins have a flat one, so if you are swimming and see a dorsal fin, look behind it, if you can see another fin out of the water a bit further back - swim faster!

slob
18th March 2004, 16:01
This pic was emailed to me.. no disrespect to scooter riders or anything.. :scooter:

Holy Roller
18th March 2004, 16:31
Why wear a helmet :Oi:
She has the wrong hair colouring (sorry girls)
At least she is giving it a go more than can be said for the majority of our population.

Jackrat
18th March 2004, 17:07
Probably called it for a Shark for the shock value.
Iv'e been sitting on a board out my way when a couple of Hectors Dolphins showed up.The first thought was "SHARK".Makes ya' get ya' feet up in a hurry
for sure.Go the big boards,LOL

James Deuce
18th March 2004, 19:22
Why wear a helmet :Oi:
She has the wrong hair colouring (sorry girls)
At least she is giving it a go more than can be said for the majority of our population.

The Helmet's on upside down and round the wrong way!! lol.

Holy Roller
18th March 2004, 19:57
Showed my kids the pix they did not see what was wrong :gob:

James Deuce
18th March 2004, 19:58
Showed my kids the pix they did not see what was wrong :gob:

My wife didn't either - yet another joke fell flat :(

RiderInBlack
18th March 2004, 21:00
Tursiops can reach 4m in length (just another useless factiod:finger: ). Flipper was a short-asse.

Zed
18th March 2004, 22:55
This pic was emailed to me.. no disrespect to scooter riders or anything.. :scooter:
Lol, someone recently told me that they saw a young lady doing the same thing with her helmet...not really that funny! :baby:

pete376403
18th March 2004, 23:14
This one is pretty good; (first attempt at posting a file so if nothing turns up...)

pete376403
18th March 2004, 23:15
hey, it worked!

riffer
19th March 2004, 07:11
Jeez Pete, you sleep less than I do?

I guess that's the moment the plane passes the sound barrier, right?

I've heard they make some kind of steam cloud - what causes that?

pete376403
19th March 2004, 13:15
(according to the story that went with the pic) The shock wave passing across the craft is disturbed by projections and this causes water vapour to condense out of the air. You can see a lttle cloud above the canopy as well as the big one down the back. This was taken with a manual Nikon from the deck of an aircraft carrier. the pilot did a huge dive and levelled out near sea level. The photographer was pretty spot on with timing, etc.

I think this is the same phenomenon as you see at the wingtips of Boeings as they are coming in to land - the airspeed over the flaps must be supersonic, or close to it. Dunno - any aircraft experts here?

jrandom
19th March 2004, 13:33

Sigh. I posted that picture here ages ago. Nobody ever remembers. Sniffle.

El Dopa
19th March 2004, 14:03
(according to the story that went with the pic) The shock wave passing across the craft is disturbed by projections and this causes water vapour to condense out of the air. You can see a lttle cloud above the canopy as well as the big one down the back. This was taken with a manual Nikon from the deck of an aircraft carrier. the pilot did a huge dive and levelled out near sea level. The photographer was pretty spot on with timing, etc.

I think this is the same phenomenon as you see at the wingtips of Boeings as they are coming in to land - the airspeed over the flaps must be supersonic, or close to it. Dunno - any aircraft experts here?

Used to work for an aerospace company, so here goes:

Planes stay in the air cos of the pressure difference caused by air flowing over the wing, low pressure above, higher pressure below 'sucks' the plane upwards (putting it very crudely.....).

All air contains moisture, but most of the time you can't see it. At certain points on the wing (e.g. wingtips) and under ideal air conditions, the areas of low pressure created by the wing moving through the air cause the moisture in the air to condense out and become visible as vapour.

If the pilot in the pic did a huge dive and levelled out quickly, there would be an enormous change in pressure at the back of the 'plane. End result = spectacular photo.

A plane doesn't have to be supersonic or even close to cause this effect.

James Deuce
19th March 2004, 14:12
Sigh. I posted that picture here ages ago. Nobody ever remembers. Sniffle.

Whiner :Pokey:

Firefight
19th March 2004, 14:24

Commercail Boeings are Subsonic, the vapour you see at wing tips, is caused by wing vortex, landing speed at finals of B747,varies around 200- 250 kph, deciding factors, head wind, landing weight, QNH, angle of approach, type of landing aid system in use, length of runway available etc etc.

Firefight.

Firefight
19th March 2004, 14:29
Used to work for an aerospace company, so here goes:

Planes stay in the air cos of the pressure difference caused by air flowing over the wing, low pressure above, higher pressure below 'sucks' the plane upwards (putting it very crudely.....).

All air contains moisture, but most of the time you can't see it. At certain points on the wing (e.g. wingtips) and under ideal air conditions, the areas of low pressure created by the wing moving through the air cause the moisture in the air to condense out and become visible as vapour.

If the pilot in the pic did a huge dive and levelled out quickly, there would be an enormous change in pressure at the back of the 'plane. End result = spectacular photo.

A plane doesn't have to be supersonic or even close to cause this effect.

El Dopa, nicely anwserd, the best defintion of principals of lift I have heard for a while.

Firefight,

Coldkiwi
19th March 2004, 15:04
now.. i saw that water photo a while ago and I thought the dorsal looked like a dolphin too. then my mate pointed out the vertical rear tail.... which is quite visible in the photo if you look.... so its gotta be a shark right?

...although, looking at it again... awwww I dunno! :brick:

georgedubyabush
20th March 2004, 10:45
If you google it, the photographer has another photo taken seconds later. Absolutely Dolphin.

FzerozeroT
20th March 2004, 17:20
i have a small mpeg of a plane going supersonic and it shows the cloud forming, but can't post it anywhere. does anyone know a file serving site we can link to?

wkid_one
20th March 2004, 18:14
is it part of this pic?

Yamahamaman
20th March 2004, 18:43
Commercail Boeings are Subsonic, the vapour you see at wing tips, is caused by wing vortex, landing speed at finals of B747,varies around 200- 250 kph, deciding factors, head wind, landing weight, QNH, angle of approach, type of landing aid system in use, length of runway available etc etc.

Firefight.
C'mon FF, this sounds like Physic's Boy talking... :rolleyes:

FzerozeroT
21st March 2004, 09:47
nope, it is right to left, over an aircraft carrier