PDA

View Full Version : People cannot drive anymore?

limbimtimwim
12th January 2006, 16:50
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22750-1973418,00.html

I've never driven a car with stability control or ABS... Sounds like they are bad habit forming.

EDIT: No wait, a rental car had ABS.. I didn't test it.

Pathos
12th January 2006, 17:41

cars improve all the time. Of course people are going to get used to it. I'd rather put my money on ABS than my Cadence steering ability even if I did know how to do it.

Bit hard for people to know how to do that when they can't indicate at a roundabout. There should be far better checks on driver competence anyway.

Gremlin
12th January 2006, 17:43
Not funny, but I have been speaking to the odd person about those sorta facts, but never had anything like this to refer to.

Always reckoned it was a problem... whaddaya know.

Always compared a bike to a porsche, all those systems helping you drive, even another system running all the other systems... drivers have no idea how much cars are helping them.

Swoop
12th January 2006, 19:12
ABS in rental cars is great! When on a long journey simply slam on the brakes to get a free foot massage.:shutup:

Lou Girardin
13th January 2006, 07:56

cars improve all the time. Of course people are going to get used to it. I'd rather put my money on ABS than my Cadence steering ability even if I did know how to do it.

Just as well, seeing that it's cadence BRAKING.:hitcher:

But seriously, all the stability aids in the world only mean that the clowns are going much faster when the laws of physics have their way.

Motu
13th January 2006, 08:19
Not only cars,but bikes too - both are becoming so easy to ride and drive,the ability of the car or bike far exceeding the skill level of the driver/rider.The roads too are having all hazzards removed,nasty corners straightened out,intersections removed and bridges put in,opposing lanes moved further apart and barriers installed...even stock movements are having to go through tunnels to keep them out of cars way.

We are being dumbed up,to be put in a life threatening situation will become such a rare occourance we won't know what the hell to do when it happens....and it will kill us.

Well no....not me,I'm prepared....

Grahameeboy
13th January 2006, 08:35
Agree driver skills are being eroded by technology on cars, however, ABS is a good option and aids braking rather than removes the driver's ability........if you have to brake quickly on a wet road, the chances are that without ABS you will lock up whereas ABS lessens his and helps you brake under control....you still have to do all the steering avoiding action and ABS just helps control things.

Nice to know that if we do make a mistake that things like ABS will help avoid another statistic.......

'Just another angle':brick:

Motu
13th January 2006, 08:47
I do on road brake tests with an electronic brake metre all day - ABS equiped cars consistantly get lower efficiency readings,and on a wet day I sometimes need to do 2 or 3 stops to get an ABS car to pass.But in a panic suituation with the brain in ''oh shit'' mode they stop well - it's fun to hit the brakes hard in the wet going around a corner,that's when you see the full benifit of ABS.

Grahameeboy
13th January 2006, 08:59
I do on road brake tests with an electronic brake metre all day - ABS equiped cars consistantly get lower efficiency readings,and on a wet day I sometimes need to do 2 or 3 stops to get an ABS car to pass.But in a panic suituation with the brain in ''oh shit'' mode they stop well - it's fun to hit the brakes hard in the wet going around a corner,that's when you see the full benifit of ABS.

Interesting cause with my car I find that brakes are soft when braking normally (which could account for your results) and come in with a punch when you brake hard.......

Motu
13th January 2006, 09:20
We are required to do a panic brake stop,that's when we take the readings.Also test for pull,pedal pulse,sinking pedal,booster opperation etc.That's why I disagree with the testing stations and their rolling road brake machines - there is no road test,no panic stop,no testing for pedal pulse at high stopping speeds.And then they test parkbrakes on the same machine...fails are common with unbalanced park brakes.This is an invalid test,a park brake is not applied on the move,although it should stop in a required distance,or hold in a 1 in 5 hill...if it applies unevenly that is no issue - it's there to hold the car.

Ixion
13th January 2006, 11:34
The rot set in when they started fitting them woofy electric starters to bikes. Bring back the kickstart.:devil2:

People cannot drive anymore? <-- What do you mean by this bit?

You mean to tell me people in the country used to be able to drive? You'd never know to look.

Lou Girardin
13th January 2006, 11:38
Now, I know my skills are in the Schumey class, but I've only once activated ABS in anger - to avoid a suicidal dog that ran across SH27 when I was doing a slightly illegal speed.
Nearly screwed the pooch, but managed to brake and steer around the mutt.

Grahameeboy
13th January 2006, 11:40
Now, I know my skills are in the Schumey class, but I've only once activated ABS in anger - to avoid a suicidal dog that ran across SH27 when I was doing a slightly illegal speed.

yeah that is what is great about ABS, means you can steer around whilst braking.........

Bartman10
13th January 2006, 14:41

If you brake for other peoples pets you run a serious risk of being rear ended.

Run 'em over instead.

Grahameeboy
13th January 2006, 14:50

Run 'em over instead.

Acceptance is good.........

Motu
13th January 2006, 15:04

Run 'em over instead.

It's always nice to save a life,whatever it is...one of the perks of being a human.

But whatever is the safest course - sometimes taking no avoiding action is the best way out....sometimes it could kill you.Sometimes if you can give the animal a bit of space it'll have time to alter it's own course...to many variables to make a hard and fast rule.

But if it's a mean looking black dog with a studded collar that chases cars and bikes for a living - fuck it,mow it down!