PDA

View Full Version : Perfect wedding anniversary

merv
12th January 2006, 17:01
OK Monday was it for us, 25th wedding anniversary. So what do you do? Something like out of "On Any Sunday", except it was Monday, load up the dirt bikes on the trailer and take off to stay at Martinborough and then spend 3 days cruising all the nice gravel roads over there in the Wairarapa. Luckily the blacktop hasn't crept all the way over the nice roads so there are still a few to ride.

The weather was great and as if luck was shining it didn't piss with rain until we left this morning.

Gave me a chance to start running the XR in by putting a few km's on it while Mrs merv rode the WR.

Here's a few pics for ya.

1. An arty shot across the bars at Te Awaiti.
2. Mrs merv arriving at Te Awaiti.
3. Showing off my KB shirt at Te Awaiti
4. What's that Railway House doing 70kms from any railway? (Te Awaiti)
5. At Tora - Te Awaiti turnoff.
6. At Pahaoa.

merv
12th January 2006, 17:11
.... and here's a few more pics.

7. Beautiful at Pahaoa.
8. View from the Hinakura to Glendhu - Pahaoa road as we were heading back.
9. Mrs merv on the WR.
10. Beautiful road - I'll do that one again sometime soon.
11. Great view of another part of the river.
12. Never had time for this one but must take the bike through here sometime (Sutherland track).

froggyfrenchman
12th January 2006, 17:16
happy aniversiary guys. Just reminded me im booked in to get the noose tightened, i mean get married this time next year. Will be buying a new litre sprots bike before then though. Im not silly!

Joni
12th January 2006, 17:32
Merv - congratulations to you and your wife.

Huge respect from me :)

Stunning pics btw... looks like you guys had a great time! I reckon you know the feeling, getting it right, with the right person...

merv
12th January 2006, 17:35
Thanks froggy and Joni.

p.s. Martinborough is a great place to stay, but 3 nights meant we did all the restaurants that were open each evening so it was time to move on. LB's precious Flying Fish wasn't open when we got there so couldn't even have a coffee there, had to go to Medici instead. FF is on a Thursday to Sunday timetable, so that wasn't much use to us.

Waylander
12th January 2006, 17:40
Wicked, looks like you had a bit of fun lol.:2thumbsup

Hitcher
12th January 2006, 21:05
Thanks for posting the photos. Maybe I should get a DL1000...

DMNTD
12th January 2006, 21:14
Congrad's Merv 'n Mrs Merv on your anniversary:yes:
Wishing the best for many more
Nice pic's of your trip...

Beemer
12th January 2006, 22:08
Bloody skite, I suppose you bought it the day we bumped into you last week? Hope you have fun!

Motu
13th January 2006, 06:33
Good to see there are still some great unspoiled roads left in this country - so hows the Honda feeling? As good as you thought....or you still settling in? How does your wife like the WR? Oh,happy anniversary too.

XTC
13th January 2006, 07:26
Neat pics Merv. Sounds like fun....

merv
13th January 2006, 07:29
Bloody skite, I suppose you bought it the day we bumped into you last week? Hope you have fun!

Yeah agreed to buy the Honda that day and picked it up the next once they had rego'ed it. So far I'm finding it great. Will report more on that later.

Motu as far as the roads go, the goods bits are starting further and further from Wellington than they used to, hence we thought we'd stay over in Martinborough and then you don't have too much seal to ride on the dirt bike until you get to the good stuff. Otherwise its about 100km from Welly - bit of a pain on a hard seat eh!

Hitcher I've always loved the backcountry roads so can highly recommend them, but be quick before all the gravel is sealed over.

Storm
13th January 2006, 11:50
Congratulations on the anniversary and the means of celebration. Heres to another 25 plus :D:D

SVrunner
13th January 2006, 11:57
Congratulations on the anniversary.
Been married 4 years but as a 10 anniversary knowing each other I received a new SV.
Wonder what I'll get when been married for 10 years.
What did I give the better half; new deck at home with furniture: so I can go riding.

kro
13th January 2006, 19:12
Awesome stuff, great to see the pics, thanks for that.