PDA

View Full Version : One for the electronics geniuses

DEATH_INC.
13th January 2006, 11:06
What i'm needing is a relay that'll run off almost no amperage (the shift light circuit on the link , designed to run a LED) and switch a current of enough amperage to switch a normal 12v relay...... :confused: Any Ideas????

HDTboy
13th January 2006, 11:42
What about using a grunty transistor?

Pixie
13th January 2006, 11:53
Jaycar kit # B197

Relay operates on 5mA

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productResults.asp?whichpage=2&pagesize=10&keywords=&CATID=25&SUBCATID=588&form=CAT&SPECIAL=&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=

sAsLEX
13th January 2006, 11:53
here you are CAT. NO. KG9142 from jaycar.co.nz

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=KG9142&CATID=&keywords=relay&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

imdying
13th January 2006, 13:20
Could use a transistor to switch the coil on and off (works like a relay with no moving parts).

/edit: Oh yeah, just use a big transistor (fet)

bugjuice
13th January 2006, 13:24
what tricks ya got in mind?

aff-man
13th January 2006, 14:02
yeh just run it using a fet..

Or a reed relay

stanko
13th January 2006, 14:34
Check with Link, that output may be able to drive the relay directly.

ManDownUnder
13th January 2006, 14:44
If you are in Auckland I know EXACTLY the guy you need to speak to.

PM me

sAsLEX
13th January 2006, 15:04
Could use a transistor to switch the coil on and off (works like a relay with no moving parts).

/edit: Oh yeah, just use a big transistor (fet)

Which is what the kit does, plus its only 4 parts on a nice easy kit, only thing is it looks a little bulky, plus its only 12 bucks

imdying
13th January 2006, 15:09
Which is what the kit does, plus its only 4 parts on a nice easy kit, only thing is it looks a little bulky, plus its only 12 bucksAgreed, nice little kit, perfect for what he needs (assuming he is planning on running a big fat light off of it) :D

/edit: What are you planning on doing with it? NOS solenoids might need more current than that relay provides?

bugjuice
13th January 2006, 15:27
lol.. have NOS kick in when the shift light shows! There's fun right there..

ManDownUnder
13th January 2006, 15:44
lol.. have NOS kick in when the shift light shows! There's fun right there..

Why did this (http://www.trueseo.com/crazy-frog/pics/fromvideo/axel_f8.jpg) come to mind?

Wonko
13th January 2006, 17:13
Could it be to pull the clutch in?

Keeper
13th January 2006, 17:52
intercooler spray!

DEATH_INC.
13th January 2006, 18:17
Nice try guys, none of the above......
I wanna run a launch controller, but the rpm switch on the link uses the same circuit as the boost controller.....so i wanna use the shift light circuit instead. I have a shift light on the tacho so it's a spare circuit at the mo.
I'll check out a transistor then....

DEATH_INC.
13th January 2006, 20:00
How would the transistor do it? Can someone draw me a diagram....I'm not that great at this electrickery stuff....

Keeper
14th January 2006, 08:12
death_inc, you got pics etc of your turbo baby? where do you live

DEATH_INC.
14th January 2006, 10:01
I'm in Jaffaland. I got a couple of older pics.somewhere.

DEATH_INC.
14th January 2006, 10:07
Here ya go....
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1822&d=1083577170

aff-man
14th January 2006, 11:01
This is about as basic as you can get a diagram. depending on current draw / current flow with determine the transistor needed if that is what you want to do.

If you need a hand just sing out.

Drew
14th January 2006, 15:38
Here ya go....
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1822&d=1083577170

Just had a wee look at the beast. Dunno if you recall our convo at Grants Bday party, but i'm putting a puffer on my bike. And was wondering if you reacon my standard swing arm will be up to the large jump in ponys. looking at yours gives me hope after several sceptics suggested I upgrade to sumat beefier.

Phenoix
14th January 2006, 16:38
This is about as basic as you can get a diagram. depending on current draw / current flow with determine the transistor needed if that is what you want to do.

Since your switching something, the relay might be a better idea since it keeps the circuit seperate.
With the transistor, you need to balance it with resistors, and you may find the current draw then goes up.

If you need a hand, I'll volentar too, I have afew electrical tools that'll help too. Thanks to the boss :Punk:

aff-man
14th January 2006, 17:22
Since your switching something, the relay might be a better idea since it keeps the circuit seperate.
With the transistor, you need to balance it with resistors, and you may find the current draw then goes up.

If you need a hand, I'll volentar too, I have afew electrical tools that'll help too. Thanks to the boss :Punk:

Yeh you'll need a current limiting resistor at least. Was just giving him the idea. Whole thing can be build and incased for $10ish so i won't be costly.

slighty more

RantyDave
14th January 2006, 17:33
What i'm needing is a relay that'll run off almost no amperage

Would'be thought that would be just about any of them.

Dave

Phenoix
14th January 2006, 21:14
If you check the link mentioned before.
http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=KG9142&CATID=&keywords=relay&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

You'll find that the board comes with the reistors and transitors, all in a nice pack for $11.25. So no unnecassary extra soldering
What do you think of it Affman ?

aff-man
15th January 2006, 13:24
If you check the link mentioned before.

You'll find that the board comes with the reistors and transitors, all in a nice pack for $11.25. So no unnecassary extra soldering
What do you think of it Affman ?

I can build it for him for half that price. But for convinience i suppose it'll do the job.

NordieBoy
15th January 2006, 14:38
Nice try guys, none of the above......
I wanna run a launch controller, but the rpm switch on the link uses the same circuit as the boost controller.....so i wanna use the shift light circuit instead. I have a shift light on the tacho so it's a spare circuit at the mo.
I'll check out a transistor then....

Couldn't you hook it up to an air assisted power-shifter instead?

Automatic bike :niceone: :devil2:

Dafe
15th January 2006, 14:45
Ring Intek security in Auckland.
They stock the item straight off the shelf.
Ready built approx matchbox size. With screw terminals attached.

It is called a "12VDC 1Amp Transistor Trigger Relay." Approx 10-15 dollars.
Quality - Excellent.

No mucking away and a reliable relay. Commonly used in security installations. If one amp is not enough, Also buy yourself a 12VDC 10amp Omron relay which is triggered via the transistor relay output. You now have a very small voltage triggering a 10amp switch.
Piece of Piss!

DEATH_INC.
18th January 2006, 19:38
Thanks guys,that should help out once i interpret it all to incompetnt twit language....:eek5: