PDA

View Full Version : Harley Question-Use the Choke on start up?

Omega1
13th January 2006, 11:25
Hi Guys,

I was doing a bit of research on the net and there seem to be various opinions on whether you should use your choke to start your Harley and how long for as fouling plugs seems to be an issue.Some say dont use the choke at all. Now I use full choke for about thirty seconds on my 95 FXDWG and then warm her up on the throttle, what do you Guys do?

just interested thats all

Cheers

O1

buellbabe
13th January 2006, 11:29
Thats what I always used to do and everyone else I know on HDs did a similar thing, never got fouled plugs because of it. Sometimes I wish my Buell was carby instead of fuel-injected, can't beat that choke at 6am in the middle of Winter!

emaN
13th January 2006, 11:41
yep...the one on my ElectraGlide used to slide back in by itself, so i'd hop on, pull it out (you know what i mean), thumb it, wait 20-30 secs then on my way...

NEVER twist while thumbing the starter motor tho'!!! gives the starter motor a tougher life, from what i've been 'learned'.

Omega1
13th January 2006, 13:56
yep...the one on my ElectraGlide used to slide back in by itself, so i'd hop on, pull it out (you know what i mean), thumb it, wait 20-30 secs then on my way...

NEVER twist while thumbing the starter motor tho'!!! gives the starter motor a tougher life, from what i've been 'learned'.

Eman,

On hotstarts I have sort of held the throttle open slightly then hit the starter she starts ok I'm now just wondering having read your comment about twisting the throttle...is it better just to give the throttle a couple of twists then hit the starter with no throttle at all?

Cheers O1

buellbabe
13th January 2006, 14:55
After more remembering... my formula was 2 twists then fireup with the choke full then button off the choke after about 10/20 secs...

sabbath
13th January 2006, 16:45
After more remembering... my formula was 2 twists then fireup with the choke full then button off the choke after about 10/20 secs...
you hit the nail on the head..thats what i do.have no prob's...touch wood.one thing that mine duse and my old low rider use to do it as well,was sometimes on start up the starter moter makes a grounching noise.not all the time.normaly when thers heaps ppl round lol.is that a typicle harley trait???

Waylander
13th January 2006, 17:08
Not just something you do for Harleys. I do it on my bike as it helps the oil get from the bottom of the engine up to the top. Just thirty seconds of choke as said earlier seems to work. Though it takes a bit longer in winter when it's cold out.

Troll
13th January 2006, 17:19
more importantly is to not twist the throttle and rev the bike until it has warmed up

evos and twin cams rely on thermal expansion of the cylinder to take up the torque on the head bolts

rev it when its cold and the base and cylinder gaskets will start to either weep oil or let go altogether

snowcat
13th January 2006, 21:23
BUELLBABE......I think I know yaa........your'e the sheila that dropped my brand new bike at the Leigh pub carpark...SOB...

Hailwood
13th January 2006, 22:13
I was told by the guy at dealership to twist the throttle once for every week the bike hasnt been started and then use no throttle when starting..use the choke on full until it starts and then wind the little control thing under the throttle to adjust it until warmed up, then undo the control thing making sure the throttle is fully free and away you go....well thats for a softail anyway...

R1madness
14th January 2006, 07:30
The real problem is that if you leave your HD idling on choke and on the sidestand you (eventually) get blowby and oil contamination and can in extreme cases suffer oil starvation on older bikes due to the pump being on the uphill side of the motor (especially true if not started for ages or it has wet sumped).
When i worked for them (HD) we always used to tell people to start it however works best for your bike (choke or not depending on the tune) then get on and ride it (gently until warm).

Lou Girardin
14th January 2006, 07:53
Use just enough choke to get started and to pull away cleanly.