PDA

View Full Version : *** Whitford Park Road - road works***

R6_kid
13th January 2006, 13:06
for those of you that like to do the whitford-kaiaua roads, i was coming back from te aroha via this way, whitford park road has some serious road works going on for about the first 1-2km, there are two sections. First is about 500m long, the second about 250m long.

They are posted so it shouldnt be a problem, but if you are planning on having a blat through there it would pay to take it easy because if you are heading south you might not get much warning.

Its a mixture of the fine stuff and the big golf ball stuff so it aint much fun to ride on.

bugjuice
13th January 2006, 13:17
cool, get to try the knoblies I just fitted to the 636

Fishy
13th January 2006, 13:28
Where is Whitford Park Rd? Is that the one if you turn right at the Whitford roundabout to take the short cut to Clevedon via Twilight Rd coming from the Howick end?

XTC
13th January 2006, 13:29
Its a mixture of the fine stuff and the big golf ball stuff so it aint much fun to ride on.

That's the best stuff to ride on......

APPLE
13th January 2006, 19:18
Where is Whitford Park Rd? Is that the one if you turn right at the Whitford roundabout to take the short cut to Clevedon via Twilight Rd coming from the Howick end?
yeh mate thats the one?starts from howick right at rounda,whitford park road.those roadworks hav been goin for quite a while man,i like 2 ride thru there at pace but you never know wots cumn around the corner, Fulton Hogan lollie pop boys.....

Gremlin
13th January 2006, 19:45
oh, weasel told me about this... thought it was the main route... bit inconvenient, but they have been ongoing, as apple says.

Whew, thought I was going to have trouble, doing a short loop tomorrow, on the new bike, then again, a longer route on Sunday.... bit annoying, but oh well.

Zapf
13th January 2006, 23:18
oh, weasel told me about this... thought it was the main route... bit inconvenient, but they have been ongoing, as apple says.

Whew, thought I was going to have trouble, doing a short loop tomorrow, on the new bike, then again, a longer route on Sunday.... bit annoying, but oh well.

did I read new bike! :eek:

Leong
14th January 2006, 13:59
Just driven the cage thru those roadworks, the ones closer to Ara-Kotinga Rd are sealed with IMO quite heavy gravel on it.

The ones by Sandstone Rd are still unsealed, but the surface is much more rideable - ie I'd be happy to go over them, unlike on Wednesday when I actually did have to.

Gremlin
14th January 2006, 17:22
yuck... stones hitting my gorgeous bike... :bash:

basically, avoid the section between brookby and whitford if you can, one section is gravel, other is rocks, some flattened from cars wheels, some not.

They have been fixing that stretch of road in patches for a while now.... grrrr

Leong
14th January 2006, 19:45
It's not as bad as it was last Wednesday Gremlin .... but I wouldn't take my new bike over it either!! Congrats on the bike

Gremlin
28th January 2006, 21:52
Just updating, went through today, the whole road is resealed now. A couple of loose stones still hanging around as to be expected from the crappy chip seal, but fixed nonetheless.

Gremlin
11th February 2006, 21:20
Updating again... I have no idea what the monkeys are up too, but resealing signs are up... :pinch:

Was in my bosses ute, so couldn't see what was going on, but a massive warning about the intersection of whitford park rd and sandstone rd.

There is dark grey tiny gravel (blends into tar) covering the intersection. Very very easy to come straight off on, we almost hit a truck in front when the front locked up.