PDA

View Full Version : 250cc First Bike help

Devil
18th March 2004, 07:55
Hey people, after lurking for a few days I thought it was about time I actually posted.

Time for the first bike, got learners, now I have a decision to make!
One thing to take into consideration here is this is also going to be a bike for my GF who is particularly short!

Im stuck between two bikes now, they're a bit different. I was hoping someone could point out the most sensible option (although I think I already know what it is).

I will buy privately, price from 4-5k.

Option 1) '92/'93 model CBR250RR around 20-30,000km's.
pros: Quick, light, zippy, sexy, low seat height for GF.
cons: over 10 years old, no distance comfort, possibility of being thrashed.
Example: http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/market/UsedBikeDetail.asp?BikeID=72467&Year=1992
(I think bikepoint might be having problem with images at the mo)

Option 2) '98/'99 model ZZR250, 10-15,000km's
pros: Recent model, low k's, still a sexy bike. Comfortable.
cons: Heavier, slower, quite a big bike (higher seat...)
Example: http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/market/UsedBikeDetail.asp?BikeID=70181&Year=1999

Now yes, im comparing a sports bike to a "sports/tourer".
If I definately wanted a sports bike it would be the CBR (ie: not a ZXR, and definately a 4 stroke). If I straight out wanted a tourer, I guess the ZZR seems to be one of the best options out there?

Now I think id be happy with either bike, but from the smartest buying perspective, it looks as though the ZZR would be the safest/most reliable option. Is anyone aware of any common mechanical problems with either of these bikes? <_<

Rocket
18th March 2004, 08:22
IM in the same posi as you. but if theres anything i have learnt from speaking to people (ALOT of people) its that your in a dream land spending 4-5 on your first bike, you should be looking around the 2-3k mark, unless you have money to BURN.

Devil
18th March 2004, 08:25
...unless you have money to BURN.
:msn-wink:
Im good to my toys, so dont have a problem spending that amount on a nice bike.

6Chris6
18th March 2004, 08:28
IM in the same posi as you. but if theres anything i have learnt from speaking to people (ALOT of people) its that your in a dream land spending 4-5 on your first bike, you should be looking around the 2-3k mark, unless you have money to BURN.
Quite agree. And please don't make the same mistake i did GET IT CHECKED OUT most bike shops will do this for you for around $50 which would have saved me an extra $2000 on top of my $3000 bike! :doh:

k14
18th March 2004, 08:33
Well for your first bike, i would probably recommend the ZZR. I own a CBR250RR and that is my second bike. It is definatly not for taking pillions on and i get sore after about 10 mins of city riding on it. It is pretty powerful for a 250 aswell.

Spending that much on your first bike is probably a little risky. I can probably guarantee that you will drop it once or twice (or 4 times like me) and maybe even have a crash. So it probably isnt worth wasting that much money.

I paid 6 grand for my cbr and it is in mint condition. Paid $1100 for my first bike and got that again. Even though i crashed it once and dropped it heaps. So just keep in mind all of these factors when you are buying.

But if you want to take pillions, the cbr is definately not for you. I tried my 13 year old brother to take pillion, and didnt even take him for a ride. Too dangerous i reckon.

Well thats my 2c. Goodlucj :spudwave:

Devil
18th March 2004, 08:36
Thanks for the comments so far. Will probably be looking closer to $4k privately. The only thing that would stop me getting the ZZR is probably the size of the thing (because of GF).
:)

Rocket
18th March 2004, 08:44
Thanks for the comments so far. Will probably be looking closer to $4k privately. The only thing that would stop me getting the ZZR is probably the size of the thing (because of GF).
:)

lol ur planning on taking passengers already and this is your first bike? How much experience do you have?

Devil
18th March 2004, 08:54
lol ur planning on taking passengers already and this is your first bike? How much experience do you have?
Nah, not at all planning on passengers. I mean that she's going to be riding it too. She's a shorty and the Zed is a big bike.

Slingshot
18th March 2004, 09:34
Go the CBR, you'll soon get used to the power of a 250 and wish you had more.
My wife has a CBR and she loves it.
My ass gets sore riding for more than about an hour but it's not a dumb idea to stop regularly and have a rest anyway.

Good idea to get the bike checked but get it done by a bike shop, not VTNZ or AA, they simply don't have a clue!

Make sure you've got money left over to buy safety gear, you'll at the very least need a helmet, jacket & gloves. Pants & boots are also very important (although I can't preach cause I still haven't got pants).

To get full gear you'll probably need to budget around $1000 each. Don't buy a second hand helmet cause unless you have it x-rayed it's impossible to tell if it's still ok.

Hoon
18th March 2004, 09:42
Yeah I wouldn't spend too much on a 250. Like others have said you will drop it heaps, it'll get dinged up but also you will soon tire of it and be counting the days until you get your full so you can by a bigger bike. Resist the urge to buy the coolest 250 you can and if your gf is going to be learning on it I wouldn't recommend a sports bike unless you want to put her off.

My advice is to spend the minimum on your 250 and save the cash for your next bike which you will no doubt be hunting for very shortly.

Devil
18th March 2004, 09:53
Hrmk thanks people. As for gear, yeah, already budgeting for new everything (helmet, gloves, jacket, pants, boots) I will not ride without it.
Hrm. Now you people have me thinking about dropping it. Gah! Now im really undecided!

Slingshot
18th March 2004, 10:24
Resist the urge to buy the coolest 250 you can and if your gf is going to be learning on it I wouldn't recommend a sports bike unless you want to put her off.

Any particular reason that you think a girl couldn't handle a sports bike at least as well as a guy?

And don't be to worried about dropping your first bike, I haven't dropped mine yet and neither has my wife, if it happens it happens, it's not something you have to do to graduate as a rider!

White trash
18th March 2004, 10:27
Thought about a GN250? Don't laugh people!

$2999 + orc BRAND NEW!!! Perfect learners bike and because it doesn't cost much, there's bugger all depreciation.

Some dealers may still have some left.

georgedubyabush
18th March 2004, 14:03
Does the zzr really have a higher seat?
I'd have thought it would be the easier one to handle with the upright riding position. Easier motor to use with the twin instead of the peaky 4.

Hoon
18th March 2004, 14:54
Any particular reason that you think a girl couldn't handle a sports bike at least as well as a guy?

No I'm not saying that at all, I've had my ass handed to me enough times on the track by a certain female member to know not to be saying silly things like that :)

Its just that a sports riding position isn't the most comfortable and if his gf is already "vertically challenged" then this might make it worse and could detract from the whole biking/learning experience. Guys aren't too fussed as they think the more uncomfortable it is the faster it must be, but girls aren't as easily fooled.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much about how my girlfriend would react as she is very timid and would easily be put off by these things. So I would have to make sure she is totally comfortable/relaxed and confident before she could start actually enjoying.

Devil
18th March 2004, 15:04
Does the zzr really have a higher seat?
I'd have thought it would be the easier one to handle with the upright riding position. Easier motor to use with the twin instead of the peaky 4.
Yeah, definately higher. The riding position is good, but its the stopping and putting her feet down where the problems would be.

slob
18th March 2004, 15:54
Thought about a GN250? Don't laugh people!
I agree with White trash's suggestion for a Suzuki GN250. They're REALLY easy to learn on, sustain bugger all damage in a crash and keep their value AND have a LOW seat height. You could get a cheapo 2nd hand one ($1000-$1500), get up to speed on your handling traffic skills and sell it for the same price as you paid for it in a few months, say on you get your restricted.

PS: The Yamaha SR250 is similar, but doesn't have front disc brakes (neither do the old GNs)

SPman
18th March 2004, 19:05
My G/F got an FZR250 as a first bike (well, first for a looonng time), and loved it.
When you are shorter, the riding posi is not as extreme - hell, they were designed for short arses in the first place

And being a learner doesnt give you a monopoly on dropping a bike! If people are scared of dropping a bike, we should all be riding around on old shitters!

Motoracer
18th March 2004, 19:36
And being a learner doesnt give you a monopoly on dropping a bike! If people are scared of dropping a bike, we should all be riding around on old shitters!

I know eh, every one keeps on sayin you have to learn on the dirt cause you bin bikes in the begining stages. Its all about atitudes really, if you respect the machine, it wont bite or spit you off. Once you get the hang of it after a while THEN you can kane the arse of it (cause even if you get into shit, you will have the experience to get out of a tight spot *hopefully*). While saying that, at the same time, it is true however that dirt riding will give you advantages over a lot of skills when you convert to the road from dirt.

I started on a road bike and I didn't drop a bike till I was well into bikeing and started going on rides etc. I tried teaching a mate of mine how to ride but every time he got on it, he crashed it. He was just way too over confident with him self.

The key is learn at your own pace!

As for a first bike, go the GNs all the way! :Punk:

I got started on motorbikes on my brother's (slob's) GN125 7 years ago, seems like just yesterday. :ride:

wkid_one
18th March 2004, 19:51
I didn't drop a bike till I was well into bikeing and started going on rides etc.
Is that opposed to dropping your bike while you are standing there looking at it>>>
:buggerd: :buggerd:

SPman
18th March 2004, 20:05
Is that opposed to dropping your bike while you are standing there looking at it>>>
:buggerd: :buggerd:
I've done that! :Oops: :o

Two Smoker
18th March 2004, 20:58
How tall's your g/f DevilWTCK? Im in the same situation I can't judge the bike for my g/f as im 6 foot tall and she is 5 foot flat:disapint: IM thinking CBR for her too, but you will save me some effort if you tell me :niceone:

Cheers...

Devil
19th March 2004, 07:24
How tall's your g/f DevilWTCK? Im in the same situation I can't judge the bike for my g/f as im 6 foot tall and she is 5 foot flat:disapint: IM thinking CBR for her too, but you will save me some effort if you tell me :niceone:

Cheers...
She'd be 5 foot, or 5 foot 1...hey...maybe its the same girl...hahaha j/k ;)

I know she can definately fit on the CBR (being able to touch the ground properly, not just very tiptoes). BUT because the top half of her body is short as well, the only reservation she has is the the angle she is leaning on. Even with someone my size (5'9"/5'10" ish) you've got a bit of weight on your hands, but she's leaning even more!
We're going to have a look in the weekend and try her out...err....the CBR/ZZR, not the GF :yeah:

Devil
19th March 2004, 07:27
Oh and thanks for your suggestions people. I dont think id have a problem with dropping the bike. Plus my GF is one of the strongest girls I know, if it came to having to hold it up with one leg, im sure she'd have no problem ;)

Coldkiwi
19th March 2004, 12:15
Dev.... i'd have to say the GN idea ain't bad at all. perfect for learning on and has a nice low seat help you catch it when things get a little awry doing low speed stuff.

but if its down to performance... well, you can still thrash a ZZR and embarrass plenty of people without needing the juice of the CBR. not many of us readily get to the end of the bikes limits that often, especially when learning so it could be a really good choice (money and height permitting). besides... once you got used to chasing people on faster bikes on a semi sporty 250, you will LOVE the step up to a bigger cc rocket.

SPman
19th March 2004, 18:17
A good feature of 250 sports bike is their very wide rev range. Below 10,000rpm, they are really very docile, even for a beginner. Like a little electric motor. Then, as your confidence increases, you can start to explore the upper reaches of the rev range, with more go and keep yourself happy as you wait for your full licence.

georgedubyabush
20th March 2004, 10:42
If you werent anti zxr, you could buy mine for 3000 and a GN aswell. Double Rego cost though.
29500kms. Good nick. 1 NZ owner. Not exactly babied but very well maintained. Not crashed but seeing how all the other zxrs are going down...

yankwi
20th March 2004, 13:03
Hey people, after lurking for a few days I thought it was about time I actually posted.

Time for the first bike, got learners, now I have a decision to make!
One thing to take into consideration here is this is also going to be a bike for my GF who is particularly short!

Im stuck between two bikes now, they're a bit different. I was hoping someone could point out the most sensible option (although I think I already know what it is).

I will buy privately, price from 4-5k.

Option 1) '92/'93 model CBR250RR around 20-30,000km's.
pros: Quick, light, zippy, sexy, low seat height for GF.
cons: over 10 years old, no distance comfort, possibility of being thrashed.
Example: http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/market/UsedBikeDetail.asp?BikeID=72467&Year=1992
(I think bikepoint might be having problem with images at the mo)

Option 2) '98/'99 model ZZR250, 10-15,000km's
pros: Recent model, low k's, still a sexy bike. Comfortable.
cons: Heavier, slower, quite a big bike (higher seat...)
Example: http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/market/UsedBikeDetail.asp?BikeID=70181&Year=1999

Now yes, im comparing a sports bike to a "sports/tourer".
If I definately wanted a sports bike it would be the CBR (ie: not a ZXR, and definately a 4 stroke). If I straight out wanted a tourer, I guess the ZZR seems to be one of the best options out there?

Now I think id be happy with either bike, but from the smartest buying perspective, it looks as though the ZZR would be the safest/most reliable option. Is anyone aware of any common mechanical problems with either of these bikes? <_< I work 4 a bike wrecker here in Hamzz.. think abought the cost of spares as well mate... your first options a ripper is all's set up RITE... if ne-doubt.. have a LOCAL bike shop lQQk @ the bike first.... the'll be HAPPY to help.... :argh:
Might save ya alot of worries...

Menial
15th May 2004, 15:28
just get a cheap bike so you can learn yo push it and be afraid of wasting it if you bail. id like to get something that i could blast with out fear of writing it off. not so worried about my own safety for some reason ;/

Posh Tourer :P
15th May 2004, 19:11
2m/o thread menial....

Menial
16th May 2004, 13:10
OMG WTF, where did i find this then...
I mean, I knew that.

sndrmn
17th May 2004, 19:27
Sup, I know I've jumped in late in this thread........but heres my 10.5 cents worth.

I too am a learner, had my CBR250RR for 5 months coming up to 6 in June (yeah baby that L plates coming off soon). I was a bit apprehensive about the CR250RR after hearing stories that it was pretty quick for a 250.

I'm no super biker but I've learn;t heaps and its got more than enough power to get you in trouble :Police: .........but not enough to keep up with da big boys on rides :crybaby:

Like someone said before after about an hour it gets uncomfortable.........keep it under 10000rpm and its a fine little commuter.....(maybe a little jerky) over 10,000 is when the power begins. Corners.........ohhh yeah bring em on.....nothing like going through the twisties....cbr eats em up. Respect the bike and it will respect you.

havn't crashed (yet) or had any problem with the bike (cmon its a honda!) have to get new tyres and front pads but thats just wear and tear. (and cause I have to go over a big f****** hill ever time i ride the thing.

Thats my 10.5 cents on CBR250RR cause thats all I've ever ridden.........hope this helps.............
peace

aff-man
18th May 2004, 10:05
Honda's do have charging problems but the vt250 was a really fun bike if underpowered. It had enough low down power to just putt around on but it can surprise a few fella's on how fast it can corner :shifty: . But the engines do tend to pack up after a while if you get an older one. Upgraded to the zxr much better handeling and heaps more power on the top end, but no putter around power and it beggs to be rung out.

Cajun
18th May 2004, 12:01
My wife is about 5'3 she learnt to ride on my old zzr and use to able to smoke alot of people away from it, its pretty sad when a zzr250 two up with two girls smokes you(she did this a few times with people), about 18 mons ago she brought a brand new vtr1000f, and we had it lowed(shock rebuild) and made the seat height lowered by about 4cms, which is enough so she is tip toe to balls of her feet.

Also my father in law does custom motorcycle seats we modify alot of seats, for lowering, so there owners can touch the ground a little easyer