PDA

View Full Version : More help please

Freebird
14th January 2006, 04:51
Hi again,
This is my second post, I was pointed in this direction by Geoff James aka Blackbird who I got to know through the UK's B.I.R.D. site (a Blackbird owners forum)

Anyway Geoff sugusted that some of you guys may be able to help me out, I have now got my tickets and I'm flying to NZ on the 13th Feb with my wife Jo for 3 months. Our plan is to catck the train from Auckland to the south of the south island and then travel North. We cannot decide whether to, 1 buy a car, 2 buy a camper, or 3 use public transport. We will by backpacking and some of your very kind members (inclueding Geoff) have ofered to put us up on route. So any thoughts on which means of transport would be best? and anyone got an idea of car and van prices.

Thanks again for all your help :drinkup: Great Site :headbang:
Regards
Davey
aka Freebird

Dafe
14th January 2006, 05:19
Hello, Sounds like a fantastic way to see NZ. (From the bottom up!)

Although I would dearly love to say - Hire motorbikes. You just simply cannot beat taking campervans. With a campervan you can pull up at the many fantastic tourist spots and stay as long as you please. Even sleep there if yo so desire.
Taking a car will always give you that element of "We need to get to a sleepout or a cafe or a this or that!"
You should eliminate that aspect by taking the campervan and allow yourself to take a leisurely pace and concentrate purely on the many attractions. I tend to think you rush things more if you're in a car and of course, it's nowhere near as comfortable.
Remember that you can always save on accommodation by taking a decent campervan.
With your currency conversion, you wouldn't have a better opportunity for taking a campervan.
Be sure to take the time to visit as many of the South Islands attractions as possible. The North Island is quite as scenic.
Campervans give you that whole holiday feel too! Ideal for a country like NZ.

See the link below.
http://www.motorhomehire.co.nz/
Assorted motorhome links in NZ.
http://www.innz.co.nz/travel/vehicles.html?gclid=CNuelJCLyIICFQqCSAodhGP7Gw

Darkman
14th January 2006, 05:37
I agree with Dafe..Motorhomes is the way to go..try this site too...you poms seem to enjoy these..

http://www.maui-rentals.com/

pritch
14th January 2006, 08:03
When the Lions tour was on this last winter there were huge numbers of camper vans travelling the country. I have no idea of what it costs to rent or buy one of these but details should be available on the 'Net.

heavenly.talker
14th January 2006, 08:09
Yip

Just got back from the South. They really lay it all on for the camper vans. There are places to stay galore, or you can just pull up in a rest stop, off the side of the road. There are heaps of places you can empty your tanks. Although the camper is slightly slower on the road, it is really a bonus as you will be jawboning at all the amazing scenery.

The southern people, without a doubt, are the friendliest people in the world. Hospitality is fantastic.
You can get a good idea of market value by looking at campers on
www.trademe.co.nz

It might pay not to buy from there though as you will get no guarantees.

Enjoy your trip!!!
Cheers

Swoop
14th January 2006, 13:06
What the others have said!

Public transport???:weird: Do we actually have any here??? (pt)

Hondaz
14th January 2006, 13:45
I'm sure sure you will enjoy your trip down here alot - but don't asume the public transport system is anywhere near as good as in the UK or any other EU country. Even Spain has better public transport than NZ. Campervan would probably be your best bet on a tight timeframe but your here for three months so you may be better buying a cheap car and useing backpackers and campgrounds.

Colapop
14th January 2006, 13:50
The trains aren't quick or the busas - sorry buses!

mini_hooks_
14th January 2006, 14:09
campervans were a huge hit when the lions tour was on, as already stated, i think that would be the way to go as the public transport is crap!!! trains take ages buses alway end up stopping for one reason or another, and sometimes you end up sitting next to some pretty weird people :Pokey: :Pokey: yep, campervans are the way to go

El Dopa
14th January 2006, 14:27
We cannot decide whether to, 1 buy a car, 2 buy a camper, or 3 use public transport. We will by backpacking and some of your very kind members (inclueding Geoff) have ofered to put us up on route. So any thoughts on which means of transport would be best? and anyone got an idea of car and van prices.

Me and my wife did a loop of the south island in a camper 2 years ago, so here's my tuppance worth.

3) Don't even think about using public transport. You'l have no flexibility in where and when you stop, and a highly limited choice of destinations. If you want to go anywhere interesting, you'll end up on a guided tour with a dozen other muppets, paying accordingly.

2) We did the camper van thing, and it was OK. If we were doing it again now, we'd take a car and stay in motels. Campers seem like a really good idea, but you never get as much room as you think you're going to, and we found that athough the idea of stopping in the middle of nowhere overnight every night sounded good in theory, we hardly ever did for various reasons (supplies (water/food/cooking), no camping allowed in that location, we were close to a campsite anyway so we might as well use it, etc etc). So with hindsight, we would have hired a car and gone for more comfortable sleeping arrangements. The cost would probably have worked out similarly as well.

1. You can pick up a decent car for a few grand, but if you need to sell it again in a hurry when you leave, you might lose money. A hire car will at least leave you with some backup if anything goes wrong, too.

Freebird
14th January 2006, 22:55
So how much could I pick up a small car for considering I'm prety good with motors so the condition is not an issue? As long as its a runner and will get me back to Auckland :Punk:

boomer
14th January 2006, 23:05
In 2000 we did the whole country, 2 months in a Volvo.. loved every minute of it (the tour that is, not the stigma of the vulva).

Car prices.. look on www.trademe.co.nz to get a feel.

I've also done the south island snowboarding in campers.. they waren't exactly big tours (2weeks) but big enough to get a feel; i'd choose the car again. Buy a tent and bobs your unkle. You get the choice of sleepin under canvas, sleepin under the stars or stayin in B*B's/hotels/motels etc. i've got some great memories of sleepin rough and counting teh stars as i fall asleep ;)

Have fun what ever you do

madmal64
14th January 2006, 23:06
You can pick up a decent car that will do what you want to do in a private sale for no more than say $2000. Ive had a few bloody excellent cars that Ive brought for under $1000 used them for the winter and then sold them again for the same $,s at the end of winter.
As I think Dafe has mentioned have a look through www.trademe.co.nz and in the motoring section you can search for cars under a certain $ value.

Posh Tourer :P
14th January 2006, 23:12
there is a guy in Auckland doing a buyback scheme on cars for tourists. Can't remember the name, but might be worth investigating. There is some sort of guarantee, and a buyback price in there too. Probably cheaper than hiring, over 3 months...

Sniper
15th January 2006, 06:45
http://www.tourism.net.nz/new-zealand/transport/buy-back-cars/auckland/car-trek-nz/
Car buy back guy.

merv
15th January 2006, 09:04
Freebird, you can only go as far south as Christchurch on a train so that's the place to pick up your camper van. There is the Overlander train from Auckland to Wellington, then you'd have catch a ferry over Cook Strait to Picton and then there is the Coastal Pacific train from Picton to Christchurch. The trains only run once a day each so somewhere you will have to stay a night either in Wellington or Picton.

With the price of airfares being so competitive these days you may well prefer to just fly quickly to Christchurch and get on with your tour.

Sniper
15th January 2006, 09:34
And if you are in CHCH I can do you a good deal on a car hire :whistle:

Freebird
15th January 2006, 23:42
Cheers Sniper I may take you up on that, my thoughts at the moment are to use public transport between major areas and hire cars short term to have a look around, what do you guy think about that?
Hireing a camper is a little steep for 3 months and buying is a lot of outlay and hassel. :slap:

Still don't know what to do, I may just leave it till we get there and see how I find things

Pixie
16th January 2006, 00:01
Check out the prices for train fare.A recent survey into travel costs found that there wasn't much difference in cost between air,train and private car.

elphick
24th January 2006, 09:59
Check out Backpackers accomodation. I have done two South Island trips in the last 12 months staying at Backpackers all the way. The standard is generally very good (clean and tidy if not luxurious). Some do have spas, swimming pools, saunas ... They're cheaper than motels and you get to meet people and have the option of cooking instead of eating out all the time. Most are members of the BBH association www.bbh.co.nz A private room for a couple is usually in the NZ$ 45-65 range, often with en-suite toilet/shower.

Good idea on the route. The North Island is lovely, but the South Island rocks.

Devil
24th January 2006, 10:09
Hi,

Relatives of ours from Ireland did the same thing you're about to do. When they arrived they visited the auctions (www.turners.co.nz) and spent about $3000 on a 1996 mitsubishi lancer sedan. Went all round the country in it and flogged it off when they left (too my brother, but if that wasn't going to happen it just would have gone back to the auctions!).

Recommend it.