PDA

View Full Version : Would you?

R1madness
14th January 2006, 16:14
Would you stop to help a broken down bike in the middle of nowhere?

Colapop
14th January 2006, 16:15
Yup even though I wouldn't be any help. You have had issues?

Fishy
14th January 2006, 16:16
Absolutely!. There was a thread by Frosty on this topic last week.

R1madness
14th January 2006, 16:23
Fishslayer:
Missed that as i was having too good a time on the GOLD COAST last week to check out the site.
Colapop:
Na its just i often slow down a bit for bikes that are stopped on the side of the road somewhere strange until i get the nod that they are fine then i just carry on. Some people look at me like i am going to rob them tho. Must be the Blacked out van.

Coyote
14th January 2006, 16:25
Where's the 'Only if it's a hot chick' option on your poll? :p

Goblin
14th January 2006, 16:44
Of course I would stop & help anyone. Even tho I couldn't actually fix their problem, I'd at least be able to loan them my phone or give them a lift, or call emergency services if it were a crash. It's the old "Do unto others".
Last winter I had an automatic trans car(hated the fricken thing) and the little lights in the doors didn't go off unless all the doors were shut properly. Well having little ones....doors inevitably were left slightly open causing flat battery. Well batteries can only last so long being drained then recharged and I'd often found myself stuck with a flat battery. The only people who ever stopped to give me a jump start were Maori people.....??? Since getting rid of the car I have stopped to help several people needing a jump-start, and they have all been MAORI! Weird how what goes around comes around.:scratch:

inlinefour
14th January 2006, 16:52
Have done plenty of times and I'd consider it irresponsible if I was not to.

Sniper
14th January 2006, 17:01
I would stop for all bikes and cars with hot girls

The_Dover
14th January 2006, 17:03
I'd stop and offer help in return for sexual gratification.

myvice
14th January 2006, 17:13
Always, even changed a flat tyre in the rain for a lady one shitty day.
Fuckin saint like, I should run for Pope! :innocent:

The_Dover
14th January 2006, 17:18
Fuckin saint like, I should run for Pope! :innocent:

Beats having a kraut in the job. Who won the fuckin war anyway? and the world cup.

Jackrat
14th January 2006, 17:23
Not enough options.
I'd stop for ANYBODY if they had crashed but when it comes to a sport bike rider I don't personaly know and has just broken down,then it's walkies time, I know where I stand with them, an what goes round comes round.

Ixion
14th January 2006, 17:29
'Tis the Biker Law and the Unwritten Gospel.

Deviant Esq
14th January 2006, 17:34
I'd stop for anyone in trouble. Bike or car, doesn't matter, even if I can't help much. Have had people from all over stop for me, so I feel bad if I don't stop for someone. I'd like to think they'd do the same for me one day if I'm in need. :)

I'll stop for bikes all the time, but only for cars if it's late at night or in the middle of nowhere or something.

Beno
14th January 2006, 18:14
Yep...pulled people out of two car wrecks that happened in front of me last year, scary shit, you never know what you will see.
Stopped for a bike on the side of the motorway the other day (under bridge), turns out he was sheltering from the RAIN...had a laugh

Colapop
14th January 2006, 18:26
Of course I would stop & help anyone. Even tho I couldn't actually fix their problem, I'd at least be able to loan them my phone or give them a lift, or call emergency services if it were a crash. It's the old "Do unto others".
Last winter I had an automatic trans car(hated the fricken thing) and the little lights in the doors didn't go off unless all the doors were shut properly. Well having little ones....doors inevitably were left slightly open causing flat battery. Well batteries can only last so long being drained then recharged and I'd often found myself stuck with a flat battery. The only people who ever stopped to give me a jump start were Maori people.....??? Since getting rid of the car I have stopped to help several people needing a jump-start, and they have all been MAORI! Weird how what goes around comes around.:scratch:
Musta been the new tits!!

LXS
14th January 2006, 18:36
I'll stop for anyone, regardless of bike etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc
Just a quick thumbs up to see if everyones Ok, takes a second.

I'm not mechanically minded, but I'll try and help, even if its just lending a cellphone or something.

I'm always grateful for those that stop for me (recurring gpx dying problem, fixed now thx).

What goes around, comes around.

kiwifruit
14th January 2006, 18:43
yes, for anyone driving or riding anything

inlinefour
14th January 2006, 18:47
The results allready have me a tad concerned.

Maha
14th January 2006, 18:47
I would stop for Mr/Mrs whippy cos they will have ice cream.....:woohoo:

Colapop
14th January 2006, 18:52
The results already have me a tad concerned.
Much as I hate to say it, yeah I agree. I do actually stop 90% of the time. Saying I stop and actually stopping are two different things. It is wise to be safe especially if you are a female alone or anyone alone for that matter. But the way I look at it, if it was me there on the side of the road I'd appreciate someone stopping even if it was just for company.

Buddha#81
14th January 2006, 19:06
Ill stop if its safe (room to do so). As a sales rep for a transports parts company its no a good look when you fly by. I travel between Chch and the SI Westcoast twice a month you see poorly prepared travelers all the time, good looking female tourist trying to fit chains its worth the stop for the eye candy.

Anyone that doesnt stop to help a motorist in need just remember what goes around comes around and when you break down on Arthurs Pass in a blizzard and no one stops to help you may have deserved it!!!! brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

rudolph
14th January 2006, 22:29
I was lying in a ditch after the gearbox sezed and my bike was in the middle of the road in the middle of nowhere and 2 people riding BMWs road strate past,

Biff
15th January 2006, 00:57
I'm as useful as a zit on a tit when it comes to mechicalmagicanics.

Always for a biker though. And a car driver in obvious need of help. Otherwise I may as well simply roll over and fart up his nose for all the help I could offer, save for a loan of my mobile.

Goblin
15th January 2006, 07:52
I was lying in a ditch after the gearbox sezed and my bike was in the middle of the road in the middle of nowhere and 2 people riding BMWs road strate past,
Geez, that's a bit rough!

inlinefour
15th January 2006, 08:30
Even though telefone and vodacom say there is coverage over most of NZ, its a load of trype. The few times Ive actually needed the cellphone in emergency, its never had coverage. About 60% of the rides I go on, there is nil coverage. Telefone and vodacom must be making the statement to yuppies living in cities, cause it don't line up with the actual coverage on offer in NZ.:no:

APPLE
15th January 2006, 08:32
yeh man,mainly 4 bikers tho aye?cause u know u gotta help dudes man?dats wot its about,spread the love man....spread the love

Goblin
15th January 2006, 08:55
Even though telefone and vodacom say there is coverage over most of NZ, its a load of trype. The few times Ive actually needed the cellphone in emergency, its never had coverage. About 60% of the rides I go on, there is nil coverage. Telefone and vodacom must be making the statement to yuppies living in cities, cause it don't line up with the actual coverage on offer in NZ.:no:
You're not wrong...but in a crash situation you can take your phone to where there is coverage and ring for help or ride to the nearest house and hope they have a landline.

How did we ever live without cel phones?

SixPackBack
15th January 2006, 09:09
Gang members are on their own as are cages, otherwise I would stop.
[Note: I carry several weapons with me after an unfortunate incident, without them I would not stop]

Kornholio
15th January 2006, 09:11
Musta been the new tits!!

Yes I noticed them too, nice avatar Kel :yeah:

inlinefour
15th January 2006, 15:01
in a crash situation you can take your phone to where there is coverage and ring for help or ride to the nearest house and hope they have a landline.

Some of the rides Ive been on you could ride on for over half an hour at least and be very lucky to get coverage. Often its quicker and easier to actually go door knocking to use a land line.:crazy:

Kornholio
15th January 2006, 15:43
Some of the rides Ive been on you could ride on for over half an hour at least and be very lucky to get coverage. Often its quicker and easier to actually go door knocking to use a land line.:crazy:

Goblin might have a sat phone.....:spudwow:

Hondaz
15th January 2006, 19:44
I think its got to be safety first - I know it sucks when someone judges you by the way you look or whatever but i don't think I'd stop to help a patch or if I was outnumbered by some dodgey looking dudes especially when riding alone. If it was an accident tho, I think most people would stop. I have stopped plenty of times though like once in the parapara's to change an old lady's tyre - she was walkinag around with a cell phone in her hand trying to get coverage to call the AA.

As for the cell coverage - of course no network is going to put in a million dollar cell site for 13 calls a month they would get from the backroads we all like riding - they do have the main roads covered fairly well though if you'd prefer to ride there....:2thumbsup

boomer
15th January 2006, 22:19

Is that why we pulled over today so you could 'get some' with that geeza on the Ninja? :whistle:

97% of population covered not country; Hold of on that law suit Inlinefour :corn:

And i voted yes :innocent:

Motu
15th January 2006, 22:29
Funny all the ones who say they can't help anyone broken down but always stop - I'm the opposite,I possibly can help,but seldom do.I always look as I go past and assess the situation,if several people are there already they don't need me as well,if they are talking on their phone,then all is under control.I fix cars for a living,and we no longer do breakdowns...there is very little we can do on the side of the road,it's cheaper and faster to just get the thing dragged in on the hook.Bikes are the same,if you have some sort of major component failure then side of the road guessing won't get you on your way.

Riding flogged out old bikes most of my life I've been broken down on the side of the road many a time.And although it's annoying,frustrating and sometimes very scary....I've always got immense satifaction in getting the bike repaired and back home by myself. Some of the repairs were major - I bet not many here have pulled a cyl head off their bike outside a dairy to fix a broken valve spring,and sometimes I've had to walk away from the bike,pushing it into a farm paddock and behind bushes,coming back for it later.

I'm happy to help - but you gotta need it - the teacher will appear when the pupil is ready....go do your homework!

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
15th January 2006, 23:14
If it was a woman in a car I would probably stop. Blokes in a car I wouldn't. Served on a jury once where a bloke had stopped and help two guys that had broken down - and he got beat up!

Pixie
16th January 2006, 00:17
I stopped to pick up a dead weasel once

What?
16th January 2006, 05:36
I make a point of stopping if someone is obviously in the poo - even got a chuckle once; in the middle of nowhereinparticular, dude and girly on a Meriden Triumph (actually, they weren't on it at the time) suffering from lack of motivation (the bike, that is). Dude is wearing a shirt that declared "British is best, Fuck the rest". I was riding a Honda. It turned out he would rather sit on the road side looking uselessly at his defunct bike than take help from a Jappa rider. :tugger:

Grahameeboy
16th January 2006, 09:27
Do they have hot chicks in Upper Hutt then

Grahameeboy
16th January 2006, 09:29

Guess it is the other way around with you these days Sir Dover.....he he

suckingair
16th January 2006, 10:31
Two tales of woo..
1, I was on the bike when I saw that there was a lady in a car at the Ellerslie roundabout not moving, typical people were doing the obvious.. drive past, hurl some abuse and drive. I stopped on an island, asked what was the problem (just in case she wanted to give a random stranger money.. you just never know..) and then pushed the car (by myself..) about 200 meters to where she could park it safely and call AA.. I'd like to thank the people that didn't stop and help..

2, I was driving the car to work when the electrics died on the Waipuna Bridge, I coasted as far as I could, was on the right hand side lane and unable to get to the left due to shitty people not letting me in. When the car stopped due to an incline I got and tried to push the car to the left hand lane to get it off the road. I was getting dicks beeping horns, giving advise etc.. but no one stopped.. One kind sir did say "that's a bit of a hazard, you should move it off the road' . I replied 'I thought that I would just push the f**king thing to work..'. He just looked at me so I also said 'this things pretty f**king heavy, wanna help ?'.

The world is full of dicks and a'holes.. Hope that I'm a dick, and not an a'hole..

Rant over.

bugjuice
16th January 2006, 10:59
I was coming back from manfield yesterday, and stopped twice. First was an older cafe racer style bike (can't remember what), and I pulled over on the southern. The rider was on the phone, calling his son to bring the trailer. He said the gearbox packed in. He thanked me and said there's nothing anyone can do, so he'll be waiting for about 10 mins. So I headed off. A minute later, there's another (GB500TT - remembered it, cos it's like Spank's ;)). He stopped cos his mate was following close by, and now he's concerned cos he looked back and couldn't see where he'd gone! Easy! He's broken down, just past the last onramp! At least I helped him..

I always stop for bikes if I can (seeing a bike from the right hand lane makes it tricky to stop!), cos I'd like to think that should I need help, I hope someone would stop for me.. If it's a car, I stop if I'm not rushing anywhere, and/or if they look like they're in a dangerous spot and need to get out of the way quick

buellbabe
16th January 2006, 11:24
definately but ONLY if I had someone with me...
too many psychos out there

sels1
16th January 2006, 11:34
For a crash - yes
For a bike - mostly
For a car - depends on situation

Macktheknife
16th January 2006, 17:03
WOW I am amazed at some of the responses, I have always stopped to help fellow road users in trouble, I have experienced the true despair of seeing the only car in 3 hours drive past me on a back road and not offer help. I will always stop for bikes that appear in trouble and often just to say gidday to another rider, in trouble or not.
If you are worried about the look of the person, stop some distance away and shout to them to see if the problem is something you can help with or notify someone for them in the next town etc. There are many ways to help people.
In reference to patched members, I have received help twice from gang members when I have been in an accident and a breakdown, I would help them too should they need it. They are twice as thankful for the assistance because they know how most people view them.
Rant over

inlinefour
16th January 2006, 17:41
[QUOTE=boomer]
97% of population covered not country; Hold of on that law suit Inlinefour :corn:
[QUOTE]

Thats the biggest load of horse manure that Ive ever heard. If you dont have coverage you dont get a phone. I reckon mobiles are as usefull as tits on a bull most of the time.:bs:

Kornholio
16th January 2006, 17:50

Thats the biggest load of horse SHIT that Ive ever heard. If you dont have coverage you dont get a phone. I reckon mobiles are as usefull as tits on a bull most of the time.:bs:

Especially where I live...honestly there are only 2 places in the house where I can get reception for mobile, and If anyone tells me to move you'll get red rep and a kick up the arse :stoogie:

mstriumph
16th January 2006, 18:03
THAT much coverage?? you are luuuuuuuuuuuucky!!! :violin:

here in the wilds of west aus i hafta go take a hike up the back donkey paddock or hang sideways off the water tank if i want to use the cellphone ......... telstra SUCKS!!

Pathos
16th January 2006, 18:29
Anyone one who hasn't got gang patches, neo nazi helmets, offensive weapons etc

boomer
16th January 2006, 19:54
Especially where I live...honestly there are only 2 places in the house where I can get reception for mobile, and If anyone tells me to move you'll get red rep and a kick up the arse :stoogie:

Thats the biggest load of horse manure that Ive ever heard. If you dont have coverage you dont get a phone. I reckon mobiles are as usefull as tits on a bull most of the time.:bs:

"97% popultion coverage" .. of the 4 million, roughly at the last count, that would mean 120,000 people that arent covered..

So thats roughly all you mother fuckers outside of Auckland :nya: :finger:

hey Kornholio and Inline.. here, this is what it looks like.. :mobile:

hahah :p

Kornholio
16th January 2006, 20:05
"97% popultion coverage" .. of the 4 million, roughly at the last count, that would mean 120,000 people that arent covered..

So thats roughly all you mother fuckers outside of Auckland :nya: :finger:

hey Kornholio and Inline.. here, this is what it looks like.. :mobile:

hahah :p

"BURN!!!

Dont worry you little french faggot, youll get what's coming to ya

Fortunatley for you Im too drunk to think of anything else smart to say but 'screw you, you little froggy bastard' and wait til I see you next :woohoo:

boomer
16th January 2006, 20:08
all i'm hearing is i'm a dirty slut

hahahahha, im not aloud to rep you any more.. it says something like "people will start talking if you give the yokals any more green rep.. PLEASE.. DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS "

Kornholio
16th January 2006, 20:20
Im a raging homosexual, please dont tell my Mrs

The only greens we yokels(well Waikato ones anyway) need is Waikato and 'that other stuff'...

NotaGoth
16th January 2006, 20:50
I'd stop for an accident, purely to make sure that everyone involved is ok. If someone is broken down, I would honestly have to think about wether or not to stop, especially if I was on my own. :(

boomer
16th January 2006, 20:52
I'd stop for an accident,....

if you stopped you'd probably cause an accident :love:

deathstar
16th January 2006, 20:53
i like to look at it as the whole karma affair of if you drive past and don't help someone you know needs help then who knows if the favour will be returned?

Motu
16th January 2006, 20:55
In reference to patched members, I have received help twice from gang members when I have been in an accident and a breakdown, I would help them too should they need it. They are twice as thankful for the assistance because they know how most people view them.
Rant over

Back in the 70s we stopped to help a Highway 61 sort out his wiring on the side of the road,I went off to a mates place to get some bits to make a repair.....I once broke down and was walking back from the bike I parked up at a farm house,when H/W 61 rode past,I had left my helmet with the bike,but I was recognised and given a lift to the city on a bike,then I was transfered to the car and dropped off not too close to home (bet they knew where I lived anyway).Kama is good stuff....make sure you give out what you want to recieve....

NotaGoth
16th January 2006, 21:00
if you stopped you'd probably cause an accident :love:

Yeah someone might wet their pants cause of my fuglyness :slap:

oldguy
16th January 2006, 21:40
I would stop and give whatever help I could, be it bike or car, which wouldn't be much, it's always nice to ask, nothing worse than riding on down the road and thinking to yourself that you should have stop and atleast checked that he/she or they were OK,
Would hope someone would do the same for me.:niceone:

Kornholio
16th January 2006, 23:08
Awww Boomer stop being nasty to the resident puddy tat....you know everyone would stop for you kittie..

R1madness
17th January 2006, 10:24
Not enough options.
I'd stop for ANYBODY if they had crashed but when it comes to a sport bike rider I don't personaly know and has just broken down,then it's walkies time, I know where I stand with them, an what goes round comes round.

Man thats sad :crybaby: . I ride a sports bike :Oi: and I would stop for you. I dont care what you ride :Punk: . Scooters hogs whatever, hell i will even help a Guzzi if the rider needs it.

I quess i only feel a bit uneasy if i stop to help a woman on the side of the road by herself. Most woman seem a bit intimidated at first but once they realise i only want to help them, not hurt them, they are very greatful. I had an (old) lady lock herself in the car while i changed her tyre once. Her husband rang me 2 days later and could not thank me enough.

Sure most times a cellphone is useless but often people only want to be able to contact someone for a ride so i have often taken a phone number and called the person from the nearest town and arranged for them to collect the person in trouble. Total cost 5 minutes and 40 cents vrs total reward of feeling like a good guy for a day.

Ahh yes i will always stop (unless i waved to them earlier in the day and they snobbed me) then i will only stop if they have crashed.

sunhuntin
17th January 2006, 12:12
only seen one situation where ive needed to stop, and they were sheltering from the rain as well. i carry an essentially useless gn250 toolkit in the bike and a cellphone. i only hope if they need the tools, theyd know how to use em, cos i sure dont! LOL

i would stop for bikes, no worries. if the person looked dodgy, i might stop a short ,distance away, stay on the bike and leave the engine running and ask that way. then ive got a quick get away if needed. if theres people already helping, or a fair group stopped, id likely leave it. or even if they didnt need my help, i could stop for a yak anyways, lol. moral support.

Wolf
17th January 2006, 12:21
I was hitchiking into Palmy North one night and stopped to help some chick who was having obvious difficulties with her 50cc scooter - turned out she'd run out of gas and wasn't even aware of the reserve switch on the fuel tap. Showed her how to get that working and figured she'd be right if she stopped into a servo any time in the following week.

Will stop and do what I can for anyone - even if it is just call for help or offer a lift. Been helped out so many times myself - had my bike towed by another bike using a PVC raincoat as a tow-rope, been picked up by a guy with a trailer who took me and my bike to the nearest servo when he saw me pushing it down the road, one bloke helped Juliet and I when we ran out of gas - gave us some from his business's tank and refused payment.

It's the real "Road Code" - more akin to the "Country Code" than the PoS LTSA/Land Transport puts out...

SVrunner
17th January 2006, 12:26
Stopped on side of road as clutch was not working was on phone when another bike went by.
He gave me the thumbs up & I gave thumbs up as had everything under control.
Don't need to stop but acknowledge if other biker is ok.
Biker brotherhood still alive & well.

Wolf
17th January 2006, 12:40
If you are worried about the look of the person, stop some distance away and shout to them to see if the problem is something you can help with or notify someone for them in the next town etc. There are many ways to help people.
Rant over
Been picked up when hitch-hiking by patched gang members and also some of the scruffiest, most heavily tattooed fuckers imagineable (the latter took me within a couple of streets of where I was going - out of their way, I might add - and offered me a beer to wash the road lime from my throat. Bugger opened the bottle with his teeth!)

I'd be circumspect when approaching people who look a bit suss, but I'd stop and determine if there were anything I could do - unless they've got a gun I'd be pretty sweet because I'd be far enough away that I could move off if things looked dangerous and I'm the one in/on the functional vehicle.

R1madness
23rd January 2006, 09:12
Cool. It looks like we will still help when it is needed most.
BIKERS RULE :first: