PDA

View Full Version : Kapiti - where to ride?

hsvboy06
15th January 2006, 06:11
Hi. I thought it was probably time I introduced myself. I've been browsing this site for a while now, I've made a few insignificant posts, and I've even been on a couple of rides with some of the Welly crew, so some of you may be able to put a face to me.

I've been riding since June '05. I was out driving the cage one day when I saw a group of riders who were clearly doing some kind of course and I thought to myself "I wish I could do that". Then I thought "what the hell's stopping me?" The ball was rolling... In my excitement I started browsing the net for bikes, and it wasn't long before I'd bought the FXR – it was cheap, low mileage, "mint" condition, and looked good (IMHO) – ok, so I had no idea what I was doing, and in hindsight I probably should have bought something else, but never mind! So, I did my BHS course, got my learners licence, found some nice quiet streets, and practiced and practiced some more. Two months later and I was really getting the hang of things, so it was time to lose the loser plate, and I did the RoadSafe CBTA Restricted course. Since then I've done about 3,000km through commuting (Whitby to Wgtn) about once per week, lots of trips over the Paekak' Hill just for fun, about 6 trips over the 'takas with TSS and KB, and a few other trips around the region. If motorcycling is a drug then I'm addicted. If I'm not actually out riding then I'm probably thinking about motorcycles in one way or another, and every other time I open my mouth it's to talk about them (the other times are usually to put food in!). My friends and family are probably sick of me going on about it, but I don't care because I just love it!

I've never ridden any motorcycle other than my FXR, so clearly I have nothing to compare it to, but it seems to me that it is a great little bike, especially for a complete novice. However, the key word there is "little", and at 6'3" I'm not. Although the "clown bike" look in my avatar is exaggerated, it's probably frighteningly close to what I actually do look like on my FXR. On the open road the wee girl struggles to keep up with the cages, especially into a headwind or uphill (although I'm learning to rev it higher and that's helping). I can be racing along at 100kph, full throttle in 6th, and then a big gust of wind hits me and all of a sudden I'm doing about 80 – one day that will happen with a car right up my arse and... well, let's not go there. On really windy days I don't ride at all, or if I have to then I take the "back roads", preferring to take on the crazy suburban traffic than the motorway *and* the wind. Needless to say, with only about one more month until I can sit my full licence, I'm looking forward to upgrading to a bike with more get up and go. Not wanting to buy myself a ticket to certain death, I'm currently eyeing up a SV650S – from all I've read about them, it seems like the perfect next bike for me. However, unlike my first purchase, I fully intend to ride a variety of bikes to find the one that suits me best.

Anyway... (hopefully at least a few people will read this long enough to get to my question at the bottom!) Next week I'm moving up to P'ram (my commute will then be much longer and a bigger bike so much more appealing) and I was wondering where Kapiti riders go to get their fix? My range at the moment is only about 200km before I'm knackered. Where is a good place to ride from Kapiti other than just up and down SH1?

Looking forward to meeting more of you.
HSVboy.

sels1
15th January 2006, 07:03
Well, of course the pekak hill is more fun from the Kapiti end...and then over Haywards to meet up with the welly crew to go over the 'Takas! In the other direction a run up to Palmerston Nth via Shannon isnt bad. And if you go up that way there is the Paiatua Track, Manawatu Gorge and the Saddle Rd thru the windfarm are worth a go.
For shorter rides explore your new "back yard" by heading north and check out all the side roads that go down to the beaches

RnB Fan
17th January 2006, 15:31
I don't have any information for you on where to ride around Kapiti but I was blown away reading your post as apart from the type of bike (Suzuki DR 250) it could have been me writing it. Interested in the fact that you were eyeing up a SV650S as this is what I have considered for my next bike as well. I only have to commute from Churton Park to Welly but I can so relate to trying to get up the gorge and running into a head wind and bloody near coming to a standstill. Would be interested to know your opinion if you do get to test ride a SV.

Cheers and safe riding.

VasalineWarrior
17th January 2006, 16:04
You could try around the Pauatahanui inlet (sh-58) if you go over the paikak hill, then loop around grays road before heading back the same way which is a nice little ride-just watch for cops!(70km/hr limit on the hill, and they do police it). Other than this there isnt too much unless you want to head a fair way north (paihiatua track, backroads around palmy) or head over to the wellington side. A few more options over this side as there is the wainui coast road, and the all famous rimutakas-which has some fantastic roads just over the wairarapa side of it. Your only going to be limited by distance, and the further you travel the more variety you'll encounter. Head out to maungaraki (lower hutt) for a thursday night ride at 6pm and we'd be more than happy to show you some more!

madmal64
17th January 2006, 16:09
There is also the Akatarawas. Its pretty and twsity and there can be a few cars on it over the weekend so you REALLY do need to keep the eyes peeled as the tend to sit in the middle of the road.
If you head up north a bit there are plenty of good roads around the Otaki/ Te Horo area that you can have a good blat on or just north of Levin out Koputoroa Road, Heatherly East & West Roads.
I rode with you on one of the TRTNR rides a few weeks back and you were getting along fine but your right... more power. I think the days of the FXR for you are numbered. An SV650 would probably be right up your alley. Smooth and nimble but go ride plenty of bikes.

Sparky Bills
17th January 2006, 16:21
Piekok hill!!!!
Are there any other roads???:2thumbsup

madboy
17th January 2006, 20:00
An FXR all the way from pram? My God, don't let the tears of boredom blind you and cause an accident before you get to upgrade. You haven't lived until you feel the horsepower of a real bike. An SV650 is probably close enough.

You may find that your "range" will increase when you get a bigger bike. Wind will cause less grief, as will inclines and speeding up again out of slower corners. On a 650 it'll all just "happen" without you needing to put much effort in.

hsvboy06
17th January 2006, 21:43
Thanks to all who have replied.

Hopefully someone will show me those rides up north sometime - I'm not at all familiar with that part of the country...

Yes, the FXR's days are definitely numbered. My deal with my wife was: she gets a new house and I get a new bike... ok, so her's is 50 times more expensive than mine, but mine is probably more than 50 times more fun! Just waiting for my 6 months on restricted to be over.

I've been over the Paekak' hill road more times than I can remember, in both directions. It's the best road I've found so far, bar none. IMHO the best part is going up the south side. I'm not a big fan of downhills, and going up the north side never seems so much fun.

Would be interested to know your opinion if you do get to test ride a SV.
I'll let you know.

An FXR all the way from pram? My God, don't let the tears of boredom blind you and cause an accident before you get to upgrade.
I know, the thought is not at all appealling, but I don't have a lot of choice. Fortunately I only commute about once per week, so I should only have to make the trip on the FXR 3 or 4 times. (3 or 4 too many!)

You may find that your "range" will increase when you get a bigger bike. Wind will cause less grief, as will inclines and speeding up again out of slower corners. On a 650 it'll all just "happen" without you needing to put much effort in.
That's what I'm hoping for! I can't wait.

Disco Stu
18th January 2006, 17:04
There is also the Akatarawas. Its pretty and twsity and there can be a few cars on it over the weekend so you REALLY do need to keep the eyes peeled as the tend to sit in the middle of the road.

I went this way in my cage after a friend suggested I take it back to Palmy from the Hutt... and what a mother of a road! Damn good fun, but yep - narrow and twisty, and definitely one to keep your wits about ya on. Be awesome if you could close the road though!!

hsvboy06
18th January 2006, 19:50
... what a mother of a road!
I went over the Akatarawa's a few months ago (ie when I'd only been riding for a couple of months) and vowed never to do it again. It was torturous. Now, though, the memories have grown fonder with time, and I'm contemplating tackling it again (definitely have to be a nice sunny, calm day - if we ever get another one of those).

Sparky Bills
18th January 2006, 19:53
I went over the Akatarawa's a few months ago (ie when I'd only been riding for a couple of months) and vowed never to do it again. It was torturous. Now, though, the memories have grown fonder with time, and I'm contemplating tackling it again (definitely have to be a nice sunny, calm day - if we ever get another one of those).

I hate that road to bits!
My flatmates love it though.
Too tight, cant get any flow happening, cant do anything!
It sucks ass! (my opinion)

robbie
18th January 2006, 21:07
Hi,

I'm in Otaki, have riden a couple of time over the Akatarawas, back over Haywrads and Pak hill road - a good round circuit but need to be real careful over the Akatarawas, very narrow. Also up north out to Hokio Beach then up to Foxton, across to Shannon and back down.

I've got a 2003 SV650, brilliant bike. The naked version is ok with a small Givi fairing.

Good riding....

XP@
20th January 2006, 15:55
If you are working in wellington and heading up north then consider this alternate route home...
heading out to Karori (boring town traffic)
On to Makara (Tight(ish))
Possible detour out to the beach (nice, with some blind bends)
Keep going north to J'ville (some tight sections but also some quick corners)
then join the battle on the motorway.

It is a tight road, but not as extreme as the Akatarawa's.
You can learn the road quite easily.
The sun is behind you so minimal sunstrike at home time.
Remember to take it slow the first time, delay your apexes to get max viewing round the corners and stick close in to the left on the blind ones.

Another goodie if you only have a couple of mins is the Pauatahanui inlet road already mentioned, but it is, well used to be, a great detour on my way home. but now the speed limit is 80kph, not nearly as much fun :argh:

madboy
20th January 2006, 16:41
Another goodie if you only have a couple of mins is the Pauatahanui inlet road already mentioned, but it is, well used to be, a great detour on my way home. but now the speed limit is 80kph, not nearly as much fun :argh:Is it? Oh shit, so I was doubling it more often then...