PDA

View Full Version : n00b RG150 questions

Jamezo
15th January 2006, 13:46
I'm slowly discovering the ins and outs of RG ownership. Yesterday I cleaned and oiled the chain, and de-grimed the entire sprocket-chain locality (used an entire can of CRC on that mother!)

But some stuff still eludes me. For example:

Compared with when in neutral, when in gear and with the clutch in, there is considerably more resistance when pushing the bike. Also the engine encounters more resistance (ie. enough to stall it when starting cold). Is that normal? If not, what could be causing it? Like alarumba's RG, it has a fairly stiff-operating clutch, but not quite as bad as his. Could the clutch not be disengaging properly or summat? Is it in dire need of clutch-oil changing?

Any thoughts on the matter?

Sniper
15th January 2006, 13:49
Im thinking Clutch cable.

Posh Tourer :P
15th January 2006, 13:55
when you have the clutch in and push the bike around you are also turning the gearbox and everything up to the engine itself. So it will obviously be a little harder to push things around. Change the oils and apart form that, adjust your clutch as it is probably not quite completely disengaging.

Jamezo
15th January 2006, 14:25
when you have the clutch in and push the bike around you are also turning the gearbox and everything up to the engine itself. So it will obviously be a little harder to push things around. Change the oils and apart form that, adjust your clutch as it is probably not quite completely disengaging.

ok. soooo, where is the adjustment actually made? at the lever-y thing that the cable connects to?

edit: What are my options with tyres for an RG150? Right now it's got some crap nylon ones that are rather worn, from the illustrious Cheng Shin Tyre (Taiwan..). I remember that TS said you could get a really good set for $500, but is there anything that is cheaper but still decent?

Coyote
15th January 2006, 14:55
Im thinking Clutch cable.
No, the problem with mine also is at the end of the cable the lever that the cable pulls is very very stiff and you get an impression on your finger when you try to push it. It's definately to do with the clutch or the pushrod system

ZorsT
15th January 2006, 16:20
for tyres:
If you don't want the $500 set (Dunlop TT900's) you could get Pirelli MT75's they are more like $320 a set. They are way better than the Vee Rubber that came on my 2nd bike, and a shit load better than the IRC thing my 1st one had.
Bridgestone also make a tyre that is apparently quite reasionable.

Clutch:
I dunno.

Ixion
15th January 2006, 16:22
Compared with when in neutral, when in gear and with the clutch in, there is considerably more resistance when pushing the bike. Also the engine encounters more resistance (ie. enough to stall it when starting cold).

Always will be. 'Tis normal, it's a wet clutch. Always be in neutral when starting cold (course, some bikes, you HAVE to be ). Don't worry about it, just ride it :ride: :ride:

Beemer
15th January 2006, 16:50
I had Bridgestones on mine from memory and they were way more confidence inspiring in the wet, that's for sure! I think at the time they cost me about $330 fitted.

Jamezo
15th January 2006, 17:00
Ok, sweet.

Are the TT900s a softer compound than the MT75s or Bridgestones? How will they wear compared to them?

k14
15th January 2006, 17:36
Compared with when in neutral, when in gear and with the clutch in, there is considerably more resistance when pushing the bike. Also the engine encounters more resistance (ie. enough to stall it when starting cold). Is that normal? If not, what could be causing it? Like alarumba's RG, it has a fairly stiff-operating clutch, but not quite as bad as his. Could the clutch not be disengaging properly or summat? Is it in dire need of clutch-oil changing?
It will just be that the clutch lever isnt fully disengaging the clutch when the lever is fully in. Just adjust the clutch. On most bikes there are two adjustments. One up by the clutch lever where the cable goes into the lever mount and the second down on the engine cases by where the clutch cable ends. Ideally you should have the adjuster by the lever in the middle of its adjustment and then set the other adjuster to where you want the clutch to grab. After its pretty close use the adjuster up by the lever to fine tune it. You should have about 1-2mm of play in the clutch lever measured in the gap the lever makes between itself and the lever mount.

Changing the gearbox oil can't do any harm either. Should be changed fairly regularly. On my RS125 I change it every 2 race meetings.

ZorsT
15th January 2006, 17:56
Ok, sweet.

Are the TT900s a softer compound than the MT75s or Bridgestones? How will they wear compared to them?
My TT900s are race compound, rather soft and sticky but they wear faster than my MT75's.

If this RG is your first bike, the MT75's or bridgestones should do you first off.

bane
15th January 2006, 21:52
for tyres:
If you don't want the $500 set (Dunlop TT900's) you could get Pirelli MT75's they are more like $320 a set. They are way better than the Vee Rubber that came on my 2nd bike, and a shit load better than the IRC thing my 1st one had.
Bridgestone also make a tyre that is apparently quite reasionable.

I bought a set of bridgestone BT39ss (for the fxr) for less than $300 - not quite as extreme as the Dunlops, but much sportier/stickier than the MT75's. On the smaller lighter bikes tyre wear is not a huge issue - done ~5k on the BT39's, and the're not half worn yet

Aiolos
16th January 2006, 08:59
I vote MT75s.
Only problem is the speedo error they induce because of the smaller profile.

KLOWN
16th January 2006, 10:38
On my rg150 I have battle axes front and rear, They are all I need for grip, for a newbie that dosent go super quick, and they seem to be pretty hard wearing. I have done close to 3thou kms on them since I got the bike and haven't seen any wear yet. I don't know how much they cost though because they were on the bike when i bought it.

Aiolos
16th January 2006, 15:37
I think slightly more than the pirellis, but they should last longer cause they are dual compound.

Jamezo
24th January 2006, 19:09
w00t, I've got a very tidy pay packet coming in, so with it I'll be able to sort out everything I need to do to get me on the road.

Now, where in Wellington can I buy a set of MT75s or BT39s? (I'm leaning towards the MT75s for now, but I'm fine with either depending on availability)

ZorsT
24th January 2006, 19:41
Most motorbike shops should sort you out