PDA

View Full Version : Ouch! My first bin:o(

Ms Piggy
18th March 2004, 14:16
Well it had to happen, I have been told that it would happen at some stage and today was my day for my first bin off my bike. :argh: :o

Hmmmmmmm...let me think now who can I blame??? Oh yeah...ME!!! :brick: :Oops:

I'm ok except my little finger on my right hand has puffed up & the finer nail has gone black and it's F%#kin sore! :wacko: The bike is ok too, just a broken indicator cover. Phew!!

I was going up over Constable St in Newtown, just up over the rise to the 1st round about, it's been raining the last few days, and I braked and slowed down for the roundabout. BUT! You guessed it I put the brakes on too hard & started to slide and then I tried to move the bike over to the left so I didn't rear end the car in front of me and my little beast slid out/tipped over and I ended up in front of her sliding down the road a little. There was a guy in a truck behind me who stopped and another guy who helped me pick the bike up & get it off the road as well. :niceone: I got back on & rode home (after checking that nothing was leaking or anything).

I think it was me trying to change the direction of the bike that made it fall over b/c the back tyre was sliding more than the front so I was sorta sliding sideways.

When I got home & took my glove off I felt really faint and had to sit down on the pavement for about 10 minutes. Very weird feeling! :confused:

I hope I can get my glove on to ride tomorrow!!! :eek5:

bungbung
18th March 2004, 14:23
Sorry to hear that CSL, but glad you're ok.

James Deuce
18th March 2004, 14:28
Bugger!

That's No.1 out of the way. Go to the doctor. The faint feeling was shock. If you've broken a finger there is zilch they can do, but you may want to get checked out anyway.

Adrenalin does weird things. Go to the doctor. Just for a check up.

White trash
18th March 2004, 14:29
Dude! Sorry to hear that.

It's good that you're able to annalize it and see what the cause was though. This is the best way of ensuring the same doesn't happen to you again.

Hope the finger's OK soon.

jrandom
18th March 2004, 15:07
Oh, bummer dude(ette)

Yeah, I suppose it pretty much was gonna happen sooner or later given that you're commuting and don't have the luxury of picking fine Sundays to ride on, etc. Might be a good opportunity to look at your tyres and figure out whether you can afford to upgrade, even if they're not worn out. Depends on whether you have good or not-so-great ones on at the moment, what's available for your bike's rim sizes etc. Sticky tyres with good wet performance may have saved you. Maybe.

Funny about the fingers, innit. Only bit of me that hurt after my second bin was the thumb on my left hand (wot I landed on). Of course the compressed vertebra started kicking in very painfully a day or so after the fact...

Anyways, hope the finger GWS, take it easy.

riffer
18th March 2004, 15:08
Ouch. Those little learning lessons are a bummer.

Glad to hear you got out of it okay. But serously, get checked out.

I walked around for four days with broken ribs convincing myself I was just a bit sore.

Your body tells you silly things. And believe it or not, its quite easy to break it.

speedpro
18th March 2004, 15:09
Glad it wasn't a major. Could be a good time with winter approaching and the pain still fresh to see if you can afford a really really really sticky front tyre.

Deano
18th March 2004, 15:15
Sounds like you did well avoiding any other vehicles - you should always take a breather for a little while afterwards to allow the shock to settle and give everything a shake to make sure no major injuries.

Don't worry, if you are riding a bike regularly there are likely to be more.........

Holy Roller
18th March 2004, 16:44
I'm glad ur OK CSL
:shit: stuff happens ay, I know.... been forbidden to have any more misadventures by the Mrs.
Hope you didn't hit your head (check ur helmet for dings) can cause delayed concusion. If you still feel faint or heady go to the doc just to be safe.
Gordon

erik
18th March 2004, 17:12
Ouch!
I'm glad it wasn't serious.
Get well soon.

Marknz
18th March 2004, 18:10
sorry to read of your first bingle, but pleased you're here to tell us about it.
keep your chin up!

ching_ching
18th March 2004, 18:18
Hi Cath,

Kia kaha girl. Take your broth, get good sleeps and get back on your bike tomorrow.

Always gotta take care of the pinky finger (tis my nose picker don't ya know...):wacko:

aff-man
18th March 2004, 21:16
Sorry to hear. But at least your first wasn't your last which is always a good thing. ;)

james
18th March 2004, 21:42
sorry to hear about your spill,glad your ok,and your beast,hope to still see you on sundays ride,take care .

MrMelon
18th March 2004, 21:52
I was out on the bike in the rain last night too.. had a bit of an encounter with some paint on the road :(

Good to hear you didn't do any major damage tho!

Ms Piggy
18th March 2004, 23:14
Who would ever have thought that 1 broken pinky finger would mean needing a plaster cast on my lower arm!! I must say though that the Doctors & X ray staff were really friendly & the nurse who put my cast on used to ride so was great to talk with. :niceone:

Buggery bollocks!!!! :angry2: Poo bum shite though!!!!!!!!

I apparently broken my finger just about as badly as you can :crazy: in 3 places.

No :ride: until the cast is off :cry: :cry: :cry:

BTW - thanks for all your sympathy guys :grouphug:

pete376403
18th March 2004, 23:35
Well now you've got the first crash out of the way you get on with becoming better riders. Plus you've got a story for the pub, office, where-ever, and the story will grow with the telling until its an epic rivalling LOTR. And you'll hear some newbie talking of their first off, and you'll quietly snort and say to yourself, "thats nothing, I remember one time I was...." and you'll be well on the way to becoming an Old Fart.

Ms Piggy
18th March 2004, 23:40
I'm glad ur OK CSL
Hope you didn't hit your head (check ur helmet for dings) can cause delayed concusion. If you still feel faint or heady go to the doc just to be safe.
Gordon

Cheers Gordon,
nope didn't hit my head just scrapped the chin of my helmet a little.

Cathy :disapint:

Ms Piggy
18th March 2004, 23:43
I was out on the bike in the rain last night too.. had a bit of an encounter with some paint on the road :(

Wot happened to you?? You & the bike are ok?

Ms Piggy
18th March 2004, 23:45
Well now you've got the first crash out of the way you get on with becoming better riders. Plus you've got a story for the pub, office, where-ever, and the story will grow with the telling until its an epic rivalling LOTR. And you'll hear some newbie talking of their first off, and you'll quietly snort and say to yourself, "thats nothing, I remember one time I was...." and you'll be well on the way to becoming an Old Fart.

Yeah well the crack up will be when I tell people I have the cast on b/c I broke my little finger! :laugh:

Once I can ride again I'm sure I'll laugh about this! <_<

Holy Roller
19th March 2004, 08:08
Yeah well the crack up will be when I tell people I have the cast on b/c I broke my little finger! :laugh:

Once I can ride again I'm sure I'll laugh about this! <_<
I'm sure that B4 the cast is off you'll be itching to ride again :niceone: may even give it a go ay. If its UR clutch hand U will be shortshifting in no time, just take it easy.

Ms Piggy
19th March 2004, 15:55
Here are some pics (not great quality sorry) of my poor hand in plaster. :beer: Note the nice purple hue of my pinky.

wkid_one
19th March 2004, 16:10
[QUOTE=Holy Roller]I'm sure that B4 the cast is off you'll be itching to ride again QUOTE]

Itching will be right.....mwaaa ahahahahahaha

Seems like a bit of overkill on the plaster of paris for a busted pinkie tho!

Motoracer
19th March 2004, 16:19
ohhhh dude! thats a bad one! Really sorry to hear about it and I hope you do get better real soon CSL. Breaking a bone sux as. :doctor:

Ms Piggy
19th March 2004, 16:26
[QUOTE=Holy Roller]I'm sure that B4 the cast is off you'll be itching to ride again QUOTE]

Itching will be right.....mwaaa ahahahahahaha

Seems like a bit of overkill on the plaster of paris for a busted pinkie tho!

I'm itching already...in more ways than one! :bleh:

I broke it in 3 places & it kinda squashed down, so the plaster is to hold the aluminum splint which they have stretched my finger back over with elastoplast.

Sycophant
19th March 2004, 19:33
I'm itching already...in more ways than one! :bleh:

I broke it in 3 places & it kinda squashed down, so the plaster is to hold the aluminum splint which they have stretched my finger back over with elastoplast.

Ahha the injustice of it, I broke my arm in my first bin, but it was a minor fracture and I didn't need a cast at all. I was only in a sling for two or three weeks (and even then had reasonable use of the arm) and had full use back in five weeks.

Kwaka-Kid
19th March 2004, 20:32
hey sorry to hear CSL :( well whats happend has happend and point is your gonna be out there again! just as soon as you ca i bet :) best of luck.

Shade
19th March 2004, 20:52
Man, sucks!
So many people falling off. Sorry to hear it aye!!!

My bike isnt too healthy at the moment either :(

Ms Piggy
23rd March 2004, 16:58
Yay! Got my cast off but finga is still pretty muntered.

See attached pic :eek5: Look at all the purdy colours!

Hitcher
23rd March 2004, 17:25
Ouch! But a moral of the story is that you were wearing good quality protective gear, yes??

Ms Piggy
23rd March 2004, 18:33
Ouch! But a moral of the story is that you were wearing good quality protective gear, yes??

Definitely! :yes:

claire
23rd March 2004, 19:23

Hi CSL, the finger looks bruised but hopefully it looks worse than it is. When have they said you can be out riding again? Soon I hope so the weather isn't to crap!
Claire

Ms Piggy
24th March 2004, 15:19
Hi CSL, the finger looks bruised but hopefully it looks worse than it is. When have they said you can be out riding again? Soon I hope so the weather isn't to crap!
Claire

Thanks for the sympathy Claire :D The doctor said I could have it strapped up to 6weeks & won't be fully healed for 3 months! It's a bad break so I gotta be good I guess :sneaky2:

Welcome to KB's by the way - people are really friendly :yes:

aff-man
24th March 2004, 16:44
Well you could always ride something with way to much braking power for it's own good. Then you will only need to use 1 or 2 fingers to brake and just a slight roll of the hand for throttle. Good thing though you heal the whole in your bank account doesn't :angry2: . But it's good to see you're on the road to recovery and if you have an itch i'm sure there are plenty around to help you scrath it :eek: :eek: .

(giving you a ride on the back of the bike i mean :innocent: )

Ms Piggy
25th March 2004, 16:41
Well you could always ride something with way to much braking power for it's own good. Then you will only need to use 1 or 2 fingers to brake and just a slight roll of the hand for throttle. Good thing though you heal the whole in your bank account doesn't :angry2: . But it's good to see you're on the road to recovery and if you have an itch i'm sure there are plenty around to help you scrath it :eek: :eek: .

(giving you a ride on the back of the bike i mean :innocent: )

I should be so lucky!! :whistle:

I'm actually not sure if there is any further damage to the bike b/c my friend I bought it off said when she rode it, it "felt a bit funny". I'm too scared to look! And I wouldn't know what to look for anyway :wacko: I do have a friend coming to have a look for me though.

So fingas croseed (ouch!!!) - need more drugs!!! :doctor:

riffer
25th March 2004, 19:42
Hopefully you've just bent the bars a bit Cathy.

Those CB's are tough. Not too much to bend or brake on them...

Kwaka-Kid
26th March 2004, 01:12
yeah yeah i threw mine and rolled it both sides, just wiped off all indicators put the tank slapper dents in tank, smashed rear tailpiece, and bent bars, i think the repair cost me $20 for some new bars, i had bog, soldering iron to plastic weld, some black paint, and a set of old kawasaki indicators i remounted to fit... perfect :) cheapest crash ever for how bad it looked, oh and it smashed the instruments, i had another set kicking around, shit i coulda made some out of bamboo and a sping prolly! :P

Draco
26th March 2004, 17:44
I should be so lucky!! :whistle:
I'm actually not sure if there is any further damage to the bike b/c my friend I bought it off said when she rode it, it "felt a bit funny".
Hi Celtic,

Haven't been on for ages, just caught up on ya crash. Bummer!! Even though the finger thing is a pain glad it wasn't serious. But GET YR BIKE CHECKED. I felt probs with my bike and didn't get it checked. Found out after i crashed and shattered my pelvis, knee & ankle and spent a year in bed, that the stearing head bearings were gone. So if yr mate thinks it's not riding quite right, play it safe. Glad your not gunna let it put you off though.

Safe riding. :ride:

erik
26th March 2004, 21:06
Found out after i crashed and shattered my pelvis, knee & ankle and spent a year in bed, that the stearing head bearings were gone.

That sounds like a pretty severe crash. How bad were the steering head bearings, and how did they contribute to the accident?

I'm wondering how paranoid I should be about the steering head bearings on my bike.

Ms Piggy
2nd April 2004, 16:15
[QUOTE=Celtic_Sea_lily]I should be so lucky!! :whistle:

I'm actually not sure if there is any further damage to the bike b/c my friend I bought it off said when she rode it, it "felt a bit funny".

Hi Celtic,

Haven't been on for ages, just caught up on ya crash. Bummer!! Even though the finger thing is a pain glad it wasn't serious. But GET YR BIKE CHECKED. I felt probs with my bike and didn't get it checked. Found out after i crashed and shattered my pelvis, knee & ankle and spent a year in bed, that the stearing head bearings were gone. So if yr mate thinks it's not riding quite right, play it safe. Glad your not gunna let it put you off though.

Safe riding. :ride:

Thanks Draco,
I have got a very helpful KBer checking it for me - he seems to think it's not to bad at all & so hopefully we'll be able to whack her back into shape so I'll be out there riding again by mid term break! :cool:

Btw - OUCH!! For your bin!! :eek5:

Jackrat
2nd April 2004, 17:48

Yeeek,Mate you could scare little kids with that.
Cool,A badge of honour to be waved under the noses of nonbelivers.

moko
4th April 2004, 14:30
Not good but lets look on the bright side.The CB is pretty tough and you can pretty much kick it straight.Your fingers will heal,I`ve still got the facial scars from an accident nearly 30 years ago,thankfully you`ve been spared that kind of trauma.Spunky lady like yourself will just jump back on a.s.a.p. and put this behind her,might take a little while to get your confidence back but you will.Dont dwell on what`s happened,just look forward to getting back on the road again,you`re obviously not a wimp so get yourself well and get out on the road again.I almost lost an eye once and had a face like a pizza........back on the road 6 weeks later.O.K. so I`m still an ugly bastard but I`m "out there".

Ms Piggy
4th April 2004, 15:49
Not good but lets look on the bright side.The CB is pretty tough and you can pretty much kick it straight.Your fingers will heal,I`ve still got the facial scars from an accident nearly 30 years ago,thankfully you`ve been spared that kind of trauma.Spunky lady like yourself will just jump back on a.s.a.p. and put this behind her,might take a little while to get your confidence back but you will.Dont dwell on what`s happened,just look forward to getting back on the road again,you`re obviously not a wimp so get yourself well and get out on the road again.I almost lost an eye once and had a face like a pizza........back on the road 6 weeks later.O.K. so I`m still an ugly bastard but I`m "out there".

:apint: Cheers Moko,
My finger has been getting a lot better just over the last few days but, I am really, really, really hanging out to get back on my little beast! I realise I am really lucky!! Lotsa support & encouragement & no-one has said (to my face anyway) that I'm crazy to wanna keep riding! It has been a lesson well learnt and has reminded me all over again why I value my protective gear soooooo much!

Jackrat - yeah lotsa people kinda look at my hand but I think they're afraid to ask what happened, makes me look so much tougher than the sissy I really am! :whistle:

Ms Piggy
21st April 2004, 06:49
:banana: :banana: :banana:
I finally have my finger out of the strapping for good & on the w/e McCool & I are gonna get stuck in and sort out my little beastie so she is on the road again.

:ride: :ride: :ride:

The damage wasn't that great but McCool is gonna teach me how to do a fork oil change & brake fluid change.

BIG THANKS to MCCOOL & his wife for letting me put the bike in their garage while I've been off the road & cheers to everyone who has been asking after me :grouphug: Cathy

Posh Tourer :P
21st April 2004, 10:29
Congrats CSL.... feel like you've been let out of jail??? I've just helped a friend put a CB250RS on the road, so theres one more of them out there :D

FROSTY
22nd April 2004, 00:07
hey csl do ya need any bits for the RS -- I think ive got a few parts knocking around in my garage

Ms Piggy
23rd April 2004, 10:32
hey csl do ya need any bits for the RS -- I think ive got a few parts knocking around in my garage

Oooooooo - what ya got then? PM me if ya like.

Cheers Cathy