PDA

View Full Version : Learners what not to do when getting your first bike

Roki_nz
16th January 2006, 17:01
I got my first bike today and what an experience it was ever dropped your first bike on the test drive by doing something stupid. I did not hurt just embarrassed and my nice new bike has some scratches and at the moment the gear lever is been unbent. On the bright side I knew exactly what I did wrong. First of all I changed my mind where I was going to test the bike instead of just going around the block where I was comfortable I took it on the route I would use to go home that was fine until one corner where I took the wrong angle which was fine at the speed I was going then I looked at the centre line instead of going where I wanted to go next I put the clutch in and broke but did not release the throttle so with my bike revving I panic let the clutch out and well then I dropped the bike on the road to my embarrassment :doh: .luckly i was smart enought to make sure no one was coming down the road at the time and to do it out of the way of traffic or i might have been far worse off. On the bright side I can live with scratches and they shop is fixing the gear lever free of charge and I know what I did wrong. My advice is do not make my mistake take a test route you are comfortable with and a nice short one too if you like the bike, get it delivered to your home and learn how to ride it around your area or in a car park to get used to the bike itself. Don’t do what I did its not fun and you look like a moron!!! :doh: Take it from me

deathstar
16th January 2006, 17:38
same problem with me apart from the crash that i wanted to take a spada for a test drive from red baron and signed all the details and took it outside and could not get the clutch so looked like a right twat for 10 mins and then decided if i couldn't get that would i trust myself on the road and so weasel took me out on the gn down a car park and showed me the moves for an hour or so. so good advice and hope the damage isn't too sevire

Pathos
16th January 2006, 18:06
forgetting to release the throttle when braking is the easiest mistake that causes a drop. gear box/clutch mistakes usually dont do anything or stall it at low speed.

Everyone does it unless they are warned or lucky.

I was lucky that I was riding a old 120cc honda that was going to be rebuilt for the beach in a paddock. I was enjoying myself too.

Beemer
16th January 2006, 18:17
I can add another don't to the list - DON'T buy your first bike from a good looking salesman - they can't be trusted!

Krayy
16th January 2006, 19:08
I can add another don't to the list - DON'T buy your first bike from a good looking salesman - they can't be trusted!
I wouldn't call Sarge good-looking, but he was persuasive (and I liked the bike)!!! :thud:

Roki_nz
16th January 2006, 20:34
Ha ha its better to look like an idiot for 10 min than dropping the bike your test driving ha ha damage is fine the gear level was just bent back so there fixing that for free and the fairing is scratched a little bit might get some crash guards/bungs I think there called so if I feel like been a moron again its not as bad.

deathstar
16th January 2006, 20:39
someone once told me of one of the greatest ideas of coving the fairing with a clear very thin layer of like that sticky back plastic laminating stuff because you wouldn't see it and the fairings won't scratch and then you just replace the plastic everytime, the fairings snapping would happen but scratches would be gone effectively, shall give it a try when i have any fairs

boomer
16th January 2006, 20:42
Hi Roki and Welcome to the site;

Bad news re the bike but i might have a suggestion for ya... take a breath now and then mate. It helps the grey matter.

Commas..use commas :Pokey:

:nya:

Roki_nz
16th January 2006, 20:53
Hmm I haven’t thought of that. Would be worth a try would be a bitch to get off. I am more concerned about break levers, gear levers etc getting damaged than the fairings you can live with a scratched fairing. But its very hard to live with your gears when the lever is bent back. But I think the best thing I can do is NOT DROP THE BIKE!

Oh well shit happens I walked away with it with only a bruise and a scratch so I am happy with that.

deathstar
16th January 2006, 20:57
scratching is always the annoyance with me and for some reason my wheel locked and went down on the left hand side yet i have like 5 things scratched on the other side and a very nice inprint of my knee in the tank is a good feature

Roki_nz
16th January 2006, 21:04
Yeah for me it doesn’t really matter so much because it’s my first bike so I know if she isn’t hurt on the outside she’s probably going to be crying on the inside, When I am finished with her. First bikes or cars never a good idea to expect them to be scratch less

EZAS
10th February 2006, 21:55
I bought my third bike, the bike that I intend on having longer than a year. From "Henderson Motorcyles". THEY ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skidMark
11th February 2006, 11:30

they are if you pay the money for the bike...or was he gone the next morning when you woke up?.

lol just kidding

mate that sucks hope damage is nice and minor...are you alright through hopefully you had all the gear on

Maha
11th February 2006, 12:07
You are not alone on this one Roki, shortly after buying my bike we went down to the river to take a beauty shot, parked it and im sure i kicked the side stand down, i mean why would you get off the dam thing if ya didnt ? it hit the deck with struggling to hold it but did manage to get a leg under it, i was calling out too my partner who was parking her bike with a car between us... im sure the ppl in the shop accross the road would have come to my aid once they picked themselves up off the floor from laughing...:thud: