PDA

View Full Version : The sh*t hit the fan

aff-man
18th March 2004, 21:41
iell it happened. I went for a ride today with FF and was doing pretty well for myself untill the dreaded moment happened. We were going up the coromandel hill and totering along at a reasonable pace. Got to the top and thought hmmmm well i think i'll take it a bit easier to begin with. I managed to get to the third corner (a tight left hander) and one moment my front wheel was under me and then it was'nt. I managed to get to my feet in time to watch my bike come to a rest a little down the hill on the opposite side of the road. I still don't know what went wrong :argh: :brick: . Damage is what you can see in the pics + a bent handel bar (only slightly) a loose petrol tank, and somethink is wrong with the front because the front guard isn't straight. Luckily all my gear suffured was ripping up by the knee

SPman
18th March 2004, 21:52
Ah Bugger!
You managed to ride it home OK?

Motoracer
18th March 2004, 21:59
Ohhhh, Jhono bro... :no: that sux about your bike and shit.

Glad that it wasn't worst than it was.

aff-man
18th March 2004, 22:25
nope had to wait 4 hours in coromandel for dad to come pick me up with trailer and then a 3 hour journey back

Ms Piggy
18th March 2004, 23:18
Great that you are ok :niceone: ...pity about the bike, all those nasty scratches!! :(

Holy Roller
19th March 2004, 08:01
nope had to wait 4 hours in coromandel for dad to come pick me up with trailer and then a 3 hour journey back
What hurts most is knowing that ones pride and joy is bent and that it will cost to put it right. I'm glad UR OK though. That sitting around waiting 2B picked up is a real bummer ay. If you can ride home you feel a lot better. :scooter:

aff-man
19th March 2004, 08:49
Cheers and now for damage control. I'll either see if there is any damage i'm not aware of that would write the bike off. If not i'll buy the essential parts but might end up making my own fibreglass fairings using the old ones as molds. There are a few holes in the fairing where the bolts pulled chunks out of it and was just wondering if i apoxyied the whole thing and sand it down, would that work. I know what the cost of replacing and painting the fairing is roughly and i don't really want to dwell on it. :weep:

Motoracer
19th March 2004, 09:07
The fairing looks O.K. My advise to you would be to look into plastic welding. Nothing puts plastic together better than Plastic welding. Unless your fairing is already a fiber glass one, then your buggered. After practicing plastic welding for a while on some other plastic bits, you can work on your fairing. After that use putty/body filler suitable for bonding with plastic. Once you have sanded it, use some more filler to fill any tiny gaps. Then resand the surface to a nice smooth finish and prime it.

Wenier
19th March 2004, 09:19
damn man sorry to hear that. Yea looks like it could be costly :(. Plastic welding a, i might have to try this one day. :)

aff-man
19th March 2004, 09:59
The fairing in question has been primed and fille and primed and filled again so it's pretty munted. As for plastic welding tried it once was crappy so i want to get a good job done

James Deuce
19th March 2004, 10:41
The fairing in question has been primed and fille and primed and filled again so it's pretty munted. As for plastic welding tried it once was crappy so i want to get a good job done

Try Just Fairings (http://www.justfairings.co.nz) for some damn good replacement fairing panels.

http://www.justfairings.co.nz/

aff-man
19th March 2004, 11:12
Cheers but that is still looking like $575 for unpainted fairings which is quite a bit

Coldkiwi
19th March 2004, 11:25
well, look on the bright side man:
a) there are plenty of bits around for old ZXR 250s
b) you're not sporting any injuries

but i can't BELEIVE you binned my beautiful fairings!! :( boohoo! (just kidding. these things happen. so long as you learn from them its not so bad in the long term)

had anymore thoughts on what washed the front wheel out? are your front forks showing any signs of leakage?

aff-man
19th March 2004, 11:30
no which is weird FF might have a good opinion because he was behind me and so saw the whole thing but i have no idea. As for parts yes the newer ones but the 250a parts are getting a bit rare.

Slim
19th March 2004, 16:00
Give Gary at GP Trading (http://www.gptrading.co.nz/home) a call or e-mail and see if he's got any plastic for a ZXR250 - a quick look at their site seems to indicate that they've recently dismantled 2.

Good luck.

Sycophant
19th March 2004, 18:42
iell it happened. I went for a ride today with FF and was doing pretty well for myself untill the dreaded moment happened. We were going up the coromandel hill and totering along at a reasonable pace. Got to the top and thought hmmmm well i think i'll take it a bit easier to begin with. I managed to get to the third corner (a tight left hander) and one moment my front wheel was under me and then it was'nt. I managed to get to my feet in time to watch my bike come to a rest a little down the hill on the opposite side of the road. I still don't know what went wrong :argh: :brick: . Damage is what you can see in the pics + a bent handel bar (only slightly) a loose petrol tank, and somethink is wrong with the front because the front guard isn't straight. Luckily all my gear suffured was ripping up by the knee

Hey, I crashed when I went on a ride with FF too... Hmm... In my case it was a tight right hander, and I lost the front wheel and went into the gravel (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=1105).

Is it more than coincidence? Hmmmm?

Slim
19th March 2004, 19:02
Hey, I crashed when I went on a ride with FF too... Hmm... In my case it was a tight right hander, and I lost the front wheel and went into the gravel (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=1105).

Is it more than coincidence? Hmmmm?
Dunno, but Andrew's crashed whilst on a ride down this way with FF & myself. :eek5:

Firefight
19th March 2004, 20:09
Dunno, but Andrew's crashed whilst on a ride down this way with FF & myself. :eek5:

Okay, I''ve been waiting for this, you might as well get it out of your systems.

Firefight :Pokey:

Kwaka-Kid
19th March 2004, 20:26
sorry to hear about all this andrew :( but i can definatly recommend Gary @ GPtrading, dont think he has any already painted in black for you :( but hes got a nubmer of htem for sure and i think more in on the next shipment.

Yamahamaman
19th March 2004, 20:27
Okay, I''ve been waiting for this, you might as well get it out of your systems.

I didn't crash!!! :grouphug:

Firefight
19th March 2004, 20:31

Thank you Murray .

F/F :whistle:

Slim
19th March 2004, 20:32
And neither did I, but I was taking it easy.

Motoracer
19th March 2004, 20:33
sorry to hear about all this andrew :( but i can definatly recommend Gary @ GPtrading, dont think he has any already painted in black for you :( but hes got a nubmer of htem for sure and i think more in on the next shipment.

Bahahahahaha! Did you just say Andrew?

Kwaka-Kid
19th March 2004, 20:40
shit yeah i did. i jsut came back to correct that, talking to andrew on MSN @ same time, damn my heads everywhere on nightshift :( well i gotta go to work now! cyas... John :) its all good. or Jono or however/whatever your preference is :)

Firefight
19th March 2004, 20:44
Bahahahahaha! Did you just say Andrew?

Nicely spotted :2thumbsup MR

F/F :crazy:

Andrew
19th March 2004, 21:14

Hey its my choice to try and keep up with the fast guys. I pay the price when I come off and I accept it. The general philosophy that KB adopts is that "we all ride at our own pace". There will be fast guys and slow guys. The fast guys always wait at major intersections etc. If the fast guys were to go at a slow pace just for others, then it wouldn't be fair on them because they aren't having any fun.

That said, I always prefer to ride in the security of others. Especially those who are experienced riders and so forth.

So if you come off, you can only blame yourself at the end of the day. If you were riding outside your comfort zone - then slow down or find another bunch of people to ride with. So no I don't think its fair to point the finger.

Sycophant
20th March 2004, 12:57
So if you come off, you can only blame yourself at the end of the day. If you were riding outside your comfort zone - then slow down or find another bunch of people to ride with. So no I don't think its fair to point the finger.

Well if FF had somehow cut me off and force me into the gravel, then there'd be some finger pointing, but as it stands I, of course, have no one to blame but myself... Still interesting coincidence, no?

Coldkiwi
22nd March 2004, 12:03
kk... now why would you think it was andrew in need of fairing repairs?? I don't understand!! (no, honest... I really don't... I just don't see any connection at all. Nope, none WHATSOEVER.. nuthin... anywhere..... *oh wait a second, whats that over there?*)

hmm... FF, maybe its all these young 250 riders getting distracted by your super sexy R6 that causes them to have an off? I think you better stop polishing it so much :)

aff-man
22nd March 2004, 12:08
Hahahaha i had a small discussion with FF about this when the bike finally limped into coromandel. It's just a silly coincidence i think. I don't know about you guys but i was in my comfort zone. Things for some unknown reason went wrong. If you read this FF please can you give me your opinion as to what happened/what you saw. At the end of the day no-one is to blame you f$#ked it so get the repair bill, cry a little, and get back on. :2thumbsup

Kwaka-Kid
22nd March 2004, 13:39
Nah i reckon FF has the stare of the devil! just looks @ a bike before a ride and its going to wind up in its natural position sometime during the ride wheather you like it or not :) Please FF, i beg of you, have mercy upon my honda! it does a good enough job itself of falling apart let alone letting the road/grass/branks help! :p

SPman
22nd March 2004, 15:52
kk... now why would you think it was andrew in need of fairing repairs?? I don't understand!! (no, honest... I really don't... I just don't see any connection at all. Nope, none WHATSOEVER.. nuthin... anywhere..... *oh wait a second, whats that over there?*)
:)
Has Andrew got any fairing left to need repairing.:rolleyes: Or maybe he was just subconciously, getting in early......

Firefight
22nd March 2004, 17:23
Hahahaha i had a small discussion with FF about this when the bike finally limped into coromandel. It's just a silly coincidence i think. I don't know about you guys but i was in my comfort zone. Things for some unknown reason went wrong. If you read this FF please can you give me your opinion as to what happened/what you saw. At the end of the day no-one is to blame you f$#ked it so get the repair bill, cry a little, and get back on. :2thumbsup

Aff , I will pm you.

F/F :wacko:

bikerboy
23rd March 2004, 20:10
Look out FF, the knives are out tonight.

:bash:

Yamahamaman
23rd March 2004, 20:51
hmm... FF, maybe its all these young 250 riders getting distracted by your super sexy R6 that causes them to have an off? I think you better stop polishing it so much :)
Now ya know why I haven't been on a KB ride since I have had my even SEXIER, FASTER Silver R6 :whistle:

Kwaka-Kid
23rd March 2004, 23:52
Cmon Yamaman :) Live a little!! take a risk!

Coldkiwi
24th March 2004, 09:31
Now ya know why I haven't been on a KB ride since I have had my even SEXIER, FASTER Silver R6 :whistle:

ahhh but its all in the riding isn't it?

which reminds me... i must go for a ride with andy1 up skyline road again and see if I can get to the top without him overtaking me this time! :Oi:

claire
28th March 2004, 09:54
Hey aff-man

my partner has just been on line reading this thread and has offered to plastic weld your fairings for you if they are repairable. you'd just have to get them down to us by courier or whatever.

cheers

claire

Kwaka-Kid
28th March 2004, 22:31
and to think i was just in rotovegas 3 hours ago :( got family down there, shit i could have taken them dude! had racebike in back, will be down @ vegas net aupo racemeeting with space in van if you can wait? - id offer to plastic weld too but im not good enough to work on other peoples bikes and just dont have any time :S

aff-man
29th March 2004, 08:58
Cheers clair but here are my options.
1) bike gets written off i pay the $1000 excess (in 3 months it wouldv'e been halfed cause i'd be 21) and buy a new bike
2) bike gets written off and i buy back wreck get all the mechanics fixed and then do the cosmetic when i can (thanks for the offer clair i will contact you as soon as i know what i'm doing probably mid week next week)

But due to the stupidity of certain insurance agents it will take longer. She had to consult a handbook when i phoned because she hadn't delt with a bike before and then sent me to a pannel beater for an assessment. Of course the pannelbeater laughed and after a quick call to insurance agents i found found i had to go to the north shore for an assessment.

By the way has anyone dealt with turners before i am going to go to an auction but they told me i can't test ride anything so i don't know if i will be swapping one wreck for another???

claire
29th March 2004, 09:12
Hey aff-man

just let me know what you decide. Who are you insured with? Most of our bike repair work comes via a bike shop as most people when they have an accident go straght to a bike shop.....don't know why they'd want you tripping around Auckland with it - but then who are we to question!!!!

Claire

aff-man
29th March 2004, 14:03
It was state. They only recognise registered assessors and thier one is spectrum so i had to go to north shore. I asked the guy for a gestimate at repair cost with all the little broken bits he said about 3000 so my bike is probably a definate write off so i'm gonna have to have a serious think about what to do???

Motoracer
29th March 2004, 14:17
It was state. They only recognise registered assessors and thier one is spectrum so i had to go to north shore. I asked the guy for a gestimate at repair cost with all the little broken bits he said about 3000 so my bike is probably a definate write off so i'm gonna have to have a serious think about what to do???

WTF?? You're jokeing right? I am sure with a bit of DIY, you can get it done for less than 1/3rd that ammount.

aff-man
29th March 2004, 15:01
yes i know but with an excess of 1000 if i want to get insurance it has to be a write off anyway :brick: :weep: :bye:

wkid_one
29th March 2004, 15:12
Yeah - they told me my VTR was gonna cost $7200 to repair - write off limit was $7500 - so I was bloody lucky.

Thing with Insurance Companies is that usually require OEM parts and ask the company to quote on this. I got a screen from Visual Plastics for $115 for the VTR and the quote to replace the screen to the insurance company was $660+GST. Needless to say - that covered my excess in that one part.

Biggest thing is to make sure your bike is adequately insured as I nearly got caught out by under-insuring the VTR and losing out if it was written off.

Coldkiwi
29th March 2004, 17:17

thought it was with AMI? confused now!

MR, I've seen the damage and I'd agree with spectrum (not that I know sod all about repairs but its in line with what i've seen)

i still reckon the best way is to get an assessment done is get your fav bike store to run a full itemised checklist and take it to the companies assessor. When he realises he can save 3 hrs work by just duplicating the list, you're sorted (and odds are all he thinks needs doing is paint/panel work). But its all a little irrelevant eh affman :(

aff-man
30th March 2004, 08:28
yes........yes it is. I might go have a little cry in the corner while i think about what i can afford to buy :disapint: :weep: :weep: ..... i shudder to think what i will get a 150???? noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

6Chris6
30th March 2004, 19:32
Noooooooooooooooo

johno
30th March 2004, 21:29
A couple of times on that run I have had the rear wheel step out a bit, for no obvios reason. I know I should go back and have a look, but hey, you're still on the bike. I think the problem is clay that has dropped onto the road from the cuttings and become compacted on the road. They stay there for weeks. You see these patches and avoid them. Sometimes you don't see them!

Kwaka-Kid
30th March 2004, 23:05
hey 6chris6, another westie huh? hey dude! :) west is best eh? :D and yeah althoughti cant say i have slid on clay i often see crap like that on roads and makes me wonder weather at some stage i might not give evnough tolerance for it :S but im a bit of a nanna so i usually take it really easy (no offence to any nannas on here)

6Chris6
31st March 2004, 17:35
hey 6chris6, another westie huh? hey dude! :) west is best eh? :D )
Damn right have to go for a ride soon kk :scooter:

750Y
1st April 2004, 21:02
sorry to hear bout the bike affman, at least you're ok. shit happens eh, you musta hit something slippery which you didn't see. I hope you can afford to get another bike before long.

Two Smoker
1st April 2004, 21:12
Bad luck about the crash and insurance problems....

and, :Oi: Don't underrate the 150's..... lol, just ask KK how they go, ive got no worries keeping up with a 250 4 stroke (i lead for the first 2 gears, then they pass me and i stay with them at anything above 130... i raced a FZRR 250...) How much will you get from the insurance company???? you still might be able to find a cheap ZXR or FZR or GSX-R...

aff-man
2nd April 2004, 10:49
I got a few plans up my sleeve so we'll see i'll let you guys know but a week from today i'll either be getting this bike repaired with what money i got or i'll have a new one so i hope all goes well a new bike may be the way to go.