PDA

View Full Version : Chain snatch

MrMelon
19th March 2004, 12:11
I get pretty bad chain snatch whenever I'm sitting at the contant speed, but without the throttle being open much. The chain doesn't seem to be worn at all, so someone was saying the rubber cushes (?) around the rear sprocket might be stuffed.

How do I take this apart to see if they are stuffed, and what do I replace them with?
I should really get some axel stands or something :/

Cheers.

bungbung
19th March 2004, 12:35
Hey MrMelon, you'll want to take the back wheel off to inspect/replace the cush drive rubber. You may be able to use a scissor jack under the gearbox if you dont have a stand. Additional security is available by roping the back of the bike to an overhead beam.

The cush looks like a big rubber cog, and smooths out the shock loads in the driveline. You can get a quick and dirty idea of how knackered your one is by leaving your bike in neutral on the sidestand and trying to twist the rear sprocket backwards and forwards as the wheel sits still.

It will be always be a bit squidgy, so you'll need to compare yours to another bike.

You'll replace the old bit of rubber with a new one.

Racey Rider
19th March 2004, 12:40
Are you sure your not just rideing in the wrong gear?
Tootling around at low rev's in to high a gear will create Chain snatch on most bikes.

MrMelon
19th March 2004, 12:57
Cheers bung, I'll have a go at it tonight.
So i'd need to get a proper replacement cush drive rubber for it, or is there a quick cheap n dirty way of fixing it up? :D

RR, it happens in pretty much any gear at any speed if i'm not on the gas.. it's getting kinda annoying now!

bungbung
19th March 2004, 13:24
If it needs doing, you should use the proper bit(s). Some bikes use several dampers. When your wheel is off, the sprocket carrier should lift straight off, alternatively held on with a circlip.

http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/SprocketCarrierFAQ.htm

This is for a f650 bimmer, but will give you an idea. The bit #23 is the damper.

mangell6
19th March 2004, 14:05
Mr Melon - As Racey Rider said "low revs" and a high gear will always create a slp happy chain. I get it on the FZ1 when commuting into town, try and go down a gear (or two) and see what happens, higher revs, and lower gear. 14530rpm and 2nd gear :rolleyes:

Mike

Coldkiwi
19th March 2004, 14:58
hmm chain snatch. I thought this thread might've been about the horrid sound often experienced when locking the rear wheel under brakes (and maybe on a bumpy surface so the wheel grabs-releases-grabs-releases...?).

whats up with that?

White trash
19th March 2004, 15:17
hmm chain snatch. I thought this thread might've been about the horrid sound often experienced when locking the rear wheel under brakes (and maybe on a bumpy surface so the wheel grabs-releases-grabs-releases...?).

whats up with that?

That's normaly caused by incorrect rear suspension settings. Don't ask me what, 'cause I know Sweet FA about suspension. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say not enough sag in the rear? Or maybe it's rebounding to quickly?

How much do you weigh, CK?

Someone help, I'm outta my depth here
:eek5:

bungbung
19th March 2004, 15:19
You don't mean engine braking locking the rear because heavy braking has transferred weight off the rear to the front?

White trash
19th March 2004, 15:29
IMHO a properly set up bike will not "chatter" from the rear when braking. Johanns 600 doesn't when I rode that at Manfeild, yet my 600 did. Till he played with the rear shock for me.

I tell ya, everyone needs an experianced racer to set their bike up for them :niceone: