PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting rear suspension.

nudemetalz
17th January 2006, 11:07
Hiya,

On my ZX-10, the rear suspension is an air unit that can be adjusted up to 100psi (according to the manual).

Question is, can I just put a servo tyre pump onto it at at pre-set pressure, say 80psi, without damaging the shock ?

Cheers

cowpoos
17th January 2006, 11:45
it won't be air....and why are you adjusting the gas presure?

bugjuice
17th January 2006, 11:46
poo's is right.. (amazing, huh?), it's gas
http://www.motorsports-network.com/kawasaki/04street/zx10r.htm
scroll to the bottom
Take it to the kwaka shop and ask them to charge it up a bit

Sniper
17th January 2006, 11:48
Jesus, 100psi? Anyway, yep, if its old enough, make sure (if you can) to check the seals on the shock. You don't want them leaking/bursting at the wrong moment

nudemetalz
17th January 2006, 11:56
No, it is actually an air-adjustable unit with an external valve under the side cover.

nudemetalz
17th January 2006, 12:03
I just spoke to Boyle Kawasaki. They said they normally run them at 0psi and recommend up to 30psi with a load.
I run the rebound adjuster on 4 (max) as anything less than that makes it pogo a little.

(Scary that the workshop manual rating I saw said 100psi !!)

bugjuice
17th January 2006, 12:28
ahh.. just clicked. you've got the older zx10?

nudemetalz
17th January 2006, 12:45
yup, the '89 model (ZZR-11 like) not the R model.

R1madness
17th January 2006, 12:59
Please DO NOT USE A GAS STATION PUMP. It is not made for delecate adjustments. Remember you are only filling a little chamber. You are adding Kawasakis equivilant of rear spring preload. A bycicle pump is much safer. Any GOOD shop will have a proper air suspension pump and it only takes a few seconds to do. Try your regular shop they might even do it for free.

nudemetalz
17th January 2006, 13:11
Thanks,...I thought they would be a little dodgy anyway. I was thinking of buyings a decent pump, so this is the excuse I need.

Cheers R1M

R1madness
17th January 2006, 13:15
Happy to help. Did you know you also have air forks? The same pump can be used for that. If you cant find one get your local shop to try DARBI ACCESSORIES. They stock them. Shame they are wholesale only.
Try 8psi in the front forks and 40psi in the rear shock. Go up to 9psi and 45psi for 2 up stuff.

nudemetalz
17th January 2006, 13:32
Thanks for the tip. I’m finding at present that the rear is a little too soft and the front a little too hard which makes hitting a mid corner bump while cranked over is giving the bike a “pivot on it’s steering head” feeling. So I really want to get it sorted.
I’ve raised the rear end by turning the eccentric adjusters to the bottom of the swingarm and it made the steering a lot sharper.

R1madness
17th January 2006, 13:48
I think if you add air at the front it will give you a lot more travel and get rid of the harsh over bumps yet sloppy ride. Maybe change the fork oil as well (should only cost about $100 at most shops i think) if it hasn't been done for a while. Metzeller made a great tyre for the ZX10. ME99 i think it was for the rear and ME33 for the front. Oops i normally dont post brands but these are great for your bike

nudemetalz
17th January 2006, 15:25
I think if you add air at the front it will give you a lot more travel and get rid of the harsh over bumps yet sloppy ride. Maybe change the fork oil as well (should only cost about $100 at most shops i think) if it hasn't been done for a while. Metzeller made a great tyre for the ZX10. ME99 i think it was for the rear and ME33 for the front. Oops i normally dont post brands but these are great for your bike

It's currently got Bridgestone Battlax's front and rear. Seem to be okay and grip well in the dry. Haven't explored their limits in the wet....not something I like doing !!.
Yes I just might change the fork oil. Probably make the difference I'm looking for.

Cheers
Chris