PDA

View Full Version : :scooter: Just got a New Lifan 125cc scooter!

bobsmith
17th January 2006, 14:05
Hehe... just got a new lifan 125cc scooter.... just waiting for the delivery and my licence which I'll have this weekend if everything goes well....

Looked very nice and came with external storage box. Will post pics when I get it.

Anyone else with Lifan scooters? what's your experience on them?

MisterD
18th January 2006, 07:56
Chinese clone scoots....I've seen a couple under commuters, but I don't know anyone who's gone an bought one with their heart (so to speak).

crashe
18th January 2006, 08:14
markauckland has a Lifan bike... and he hoons around Auckland on his..
He even got a bus to run it over as well... but it survived that beating.
So they seem to be tuff little bikes.

Motu
18th January 2006, 08:14
I've got a 250 here I'm doing a first service on,it's not too bad really,but some quality issues on minor components - like I'm not too impressed with taking the sump plug out and having it rip the threads out with it,the threads on the plug were so bad I had to grind them down.Stupid mechanics can't even change the oil on a new bike without stripping the sump plug eh? The airfilter disintergated washing in partscleaner,a welding repair on the exhaust....all the lamps are crap and falling apart.But overall for the price I think it's a good bike.

Sketchy_Racer
18th January 2006, 09:30
my friend has a 150 (looks like a FXR150 rip off) that goes ok.... but as motu said, it needs a bit of maintainece to keep it running well... so far hes got 10000 ks on the clock and still going good ;)

bobsmith
18th January 2006, 11:18
Thanks all, I'll be sure to keep an eagle's eye out for any dodge parts... Aaaahh can't wait to get my hands on it...

Jog-Insanity
19th January 2006, 20:50
Nice. tell me what sorta speed you get out of it dose anyone know what those FXR clones go up to?

bobsmith
20th January 2006, 21:13
Hmmm if everything goes to plan, I should have my learner's tomorrow morning, so I'll try out and let you know... Only done 15km on clock so don't think it will be going too fast... Should do another test after its broken in... Now.. they said first service after 300km since it's got run in oil in it, so by the end of the long weekend I should have about that on the clock.... :yes: so just got to get it to a shop hopefully on tuesday....

Motu
20th January 2006, 21:24
Double check you fuel tap - road testing the LF250 today it ran out of gas...no worries,I'll just switch to reserve...but that was no help,it was really out of gas.So the assembler who put it together with a single doplip of grease or lube also must of put the hoses on the wrong way around.Luckily I was only a km away on a flat road.

bobsmith
22nd January 2006, 08:46
Yeah, just got my licence yesterday morning and didn't have the time to post as I was out riding and tending to my new bbq until 9.30pm.

I noticed that the speedo is out by quite a lot (speedo reading 60-65 when the bike is doing 50) so I've emailed the lifan NZ about it seeing that it's under warranty. It will be interesting to see how they deal with the problem. (I'm a bit of an obessive bastard about quality customer service.)

raining outside now but if the weather gets better I'll get it out and take a few pictures and post them here.

Motu - How would I check my fuel tap?????

Motu
22nd January 2006, 09:14
Ah,run out of gas?

bobsmith
24th January 2006, 15:19
Hmmm the scooter does not have a fuel selector for the reserve tank if that is what you mean.... It's just one tank config with fuel indicator so you'll know when you're about to stop... Though the top box on the back fits my 6 litre fuel container I got from the warehouse for around $8, (had a lot of close calls with fuel almost running out and not being able to find a petrol station on my car) so if I wanted more range I could just stick one of those on the back before going out riding :)

Anyhow here are some pics!!!

bobsmith
24th January 2006, 15:21
Oh and the response I got from Lifan was fantastic. The next working day, they emailed me in the morning to tell me that they are looking into it and the next day they emailed me saying that they think they know what the problem is and if I take it into get it fixed by one of the local shops they will liase with them to pay for the cost. :)

Now just have to figure out when I can part with my scooter..... darn it!

davereid
6th August 2006, 17:03
Lifan make great scooters - don't worry about those who say you should buy a Euro... we heard it all before from the HARLEY riders when Honda and Yamaha arrived. With regard to quality, Lifan is Chinas biggest motorcycle manufacturer and China is the worlds biggest scooter market. Even though the brands are unfamiliar, they know a lot about making small motorbikes.

texmo
6th August 2006, 17:34
Vespa>lifan.

Still depending on what you want the lifan beats the vespa everytime if you want a hack.

skidMark
6th August 2006, 17:58
I've got a 250 here I'm doing a first service on,it's not too bad really,but some quality issues on minor components - like I'm not too impressed with taking the sump plug out and having it rip the threads out with it,the threads on the plug were so bad I had to grind them down.Stupid mechanics can't even change the oil on a new bike without stripping the sump plug eh? The airfilter disintergated washing in partscleaner,a welding repair on the exhaust....all the lamps are crap and falling apart.But overall for the price I think it's a good bike.

for your info we don't do the oil they already have oil in them from factory....

and as for the filter element if you read the owners manual (jesus they actually do tell you stuff it specifiacally states not to clean it in solvents..

but shit what would i know i'm only lifan nz's manager....and mechanic...

skidMark
6th August 2006, 17:59
Double check you fuel tap - road testing the LF250 today it ran out of gas...no worries,I'll just switch to reserve...but that was no help,it was really out of gas.So the assembler who put it together with a single doplip of grease or lube also must of put the hoses on the wrong way around.Luckily I was only a km away on a flat road.

yet again all that shit is done at factory...

stop bitching and do your job.

R6_kid
14th August 2006, 11:16
and as for the filter element if you read the owners manual (jesus they actually do tell you stuff it specifiacally states not to clean it in solvents..

but shit what would i know i'm only lifan nz's manager....and mechanic...

funny about the air filter, most bikes i've had end up with gas (solvent) on them after riding.

And as you are the manager and mechanic i think we've found out why the quality is so crap. And if you are the manager of a company (AND the mechanic) shouldnt you be 'rolling in it'.