PDA

View Full Version : Hyosung Aquila cruiser

Rathelm
17th January 2006, 15:13
Hi all,

reading the old threads Hyosung seems to have gone from 'cheap and suspect' to 'cheap and sexy'. Looks like Hyosung (who is huge, and heavily into Suzuki R&D) may be the next Daewoo....anyway, everyone talks about their road bikes, not their baby cruiser.

I have a low mileage '88 Savage 650 thats died (engine damage from oil starvation - previous owner!) before I even got to really ride her. :buggerd: Just repainted - so if you're looking for a rebuild project...PM me!

Anyway, I want a cruiser to commute (open road), I'm looking for a cheap bike, and new or near new is awfully appealing after that experience.

I'm seriously thinking about a new Hyosung GV250 Aquila. Lots of crome, looks nice, and quite well reviewed, despite the $6000 price tag. Its direct competition would be the Marauder. It seems to perform about the same as the Savage. This is my price limit, and even then its hurting.

The local dealer (TSS) has sold 80 so far, in less than a year, so there must be some out there...so....

Has anyone out there, who has actually ridden one, any comments about them?

Is there anyone with something better to offer me (in the Wellington region) for my restricted budget? Or even a near new one if you're about to trade up?

I've sold the cage so time is short - in a couple of days I'll test ride and buy, though I could wait a few weeks at a pinch.

I really want a little wisdom from the streets (and no, I'm not going to buy a Virago....)

Go to it!:soon:

chris
17th January 2006, 15:17
Looks like Hyosung (who is huge, and heavily into Suzuki R&D) may be the next Daewoo Daewoo went bust and were eventually bought and absorbed into the huge GM brand.

hXc
17th January 2006, 15:18
Havn't ridden one but where I got my bike from in the weekend, the lady had one of these Aquila things. I sat on it and thought, "Fark that's heavy!" They are EXTREMELY heavy for a 250 and I certainly wouldn't get one.

Mum has a Kawasaki EL250 which is cruiser like. Small, light etc etc.

Hope that was a little bit of help

Devil
17th January 2006, 15:19
Mate, holeshot in auckland are flogging off new Suzuki Savage 650's for $6995. Hit up the bank manager!

Rode a gv250 the other day (looking around for commuters). Seems to go well, quite revvy. I found the bars coming back too far for me, would need different ones. It felt a little plasticy.

Get one (Savage S40): http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=1357697&TabID=3553&Alias=motorcycletradernz

Motu
17th January 2006, 15:22
Daewoo were GM anyway,built on the Opel floor pan - open the bonnet of a Pontiac Le Mans from back in the 80s,the body tag says Daewoo.

I like the look of those cruisers,the big one anyway,I haven't seen a 250.....or that I've noticed.

Virago
17th January 2006, 16:12
Hi,

I've got a review of the Hyosung GV250 here. It's in PDF format, about 3.6Mb - just a little to big for an attachment on here. If you PM me your email address I'll send it to you.

Troll
17th January 2006, 18:59
might be cheap to buy but the low residuals will make it very expensive in the long run

wait until its 18 months old and let somebody else take a 30% hit for the first years ownership

Motig
18th January 2006, 07:21
Doesnt that happen to any new bike/car/TVetc as soon as you part with your money?

chris
18th January 2006, 07:49
Daewoo were GM anyway,built on the Opel floor pan I thought the first Daewoo brand cars were based on the mid 80's Vauxhall Astra.

Motu
18th January 2006, 08:03
Vauxhall Astra is an Opel....the Commodore is an Opel,even the name - the first Holden Commodore was the same as the Opel Commodore.Opel do the body/chassis development and give it to the local GM branches to adapt their drivelines into and make styling changes.All the ''English'' Fords are German too,going back to the late 60s.

chris
18th January 2006, 08:16
A bit of digging has revealed that Daewoo bought the design and tooling for a previous generation model Astra from Vauxhall, in the UK, to build their own brand cars.
I am aware that Vauxhall, Opel, Holden etc are all linked.

Lou Girardin
18th January 2006, 08:20
I saw one on Sunday, it may have been the 650, I don't know what they're like to ride but they look real good. I thought it was a custom V Rod at first glance.

Devil
18th January 2006, 08:53
I saw one on Sunday, it may have been the 650, I don't know what they're like to ride but they look real good. I thought it was a custom V Rod at first glance.
Yeah, that'd be the 650, not a bad looker. The 250 has a different frame.

Rathelm
18th January 2006, 13:46
Some useful feedback - though maybe I should have mention Hyundai instead of Daewoo!

Here's a picture of the bike (low quality pic - lots of shiny chrome and silver paint)

(I'm also looking at a near-new Savage that's in my price range)

And now to decide in a day or two...

Devil
18th January 2006, 14:02
I'd pick the Savage myself. It was hard to deal with the lack of power of the 250.

Fatjim
18th January 2006, 14:45
PM selyahnitram (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=4941). He might have some advice.

Rathelm
19th January 2006, 19:23
yep - done that, and located some interesting overseas forums to boot.

Issues seem to be build quaity and the local knowledgebase in the dealer network.

This can only improve with experience - but when to leap?

The other new bike this price is the marauder, about which this forum is strangely silent. I suppose because the gn250 engine has had its rants and raves done to death already...

After the last experience the missus says get a new bike....hope I don't repeat it!
Test riding tomorrow.:spudwhat:

Rathelm
24th January 2006, 10:30
Hi all,

ok - I bought the Hyosung. The power was fine for me, the weight of it gives it the stability and the handling of a bigger cruiser, and it certainly looks the part.

Here's hoping this model doesn't have the problems others have experienced.

So far so good. Thanks for all the feedback. :rockon: